So what's all this palaver about The Golden Compass then?

~V~

That's a good point, Steffie. Would a group of non-religious people boycott a religious movie because it promoted a particular religion like Christianity? I doubt it. I would just choose not to see the movie...I wouldn't care about what other people decided to do. But I think that, in general, non-religious people tend to be more tolerant. They are not invested in a specific belief system, which allows them to be more accepting of all religious views. Of course, this is not true of everyone. My parents are Catholic, and they are two of the most open-minded people I know. I've also known non-religious people that are narrow-minded and judgmental.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, sometimes the most narrow-minded people are the non-believers. And by that I mean non-believers in anything. I have, in fact, gotten some rather interesting reactions when I've told people I was raised Catholic. "But, you like buying new clothes!" "How can that be, you're not one of those hippyish people talking about Jesus all the time!" and so on. People who don't belong to any church and/or belief-system have been the most judgemental about my upbringing. Though, to clear things out, my upbringing wasn't about saying grace before every dinner and saying my prayers at night, it was schools with nuns; my chooling was actively Catholic, not my homelife, if you get what I mean.

As far as the movie goes, I do believe the Catholic Church has a right, and indeed an oblication to voice their concern and opinion, especially considering the comments by Pullman. The Church has the right to instruct its members not to see the movie, if it finds it against their moral codes and values. After that, it's up to the people if they want to see it or not. I'm still considering myself, I do love Nicole Kidman, but if they're going to bash the church, I'm not going to bother.

In my honest opinion I think this whole Church boycott thing is ludacris! I don't know what they are worried about. A movie aimed at children? Are they worried the children are going to grow horns and run around saying "Worship ME!" It is a high budget film with an a-list cast. Plus it is being released for the holiday season, people will fill the seats at the theatres. Children are not going to pick up the hidden meaning (if there is any), they are going to be in awe of the giant bears that fight or the mystery of the whole story. I'm sorry I think the Catholic Church needs to pick its battles.

There are much worse they could be worried about. What about the stuff that comes on TV at eleven at night. What about the giant advertising campaigns that send strong sexual messages to children. What about the horror films in theatres that are being released where people are being torrtured on screen. All that is fine, but a children's movie gets their attention.

I think the Catholic Church is very old fashioned and they are not dealing with the problems of today's society.

PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG! I have nothing against the Catholic Church. I have no problem with any church. I personally am Ukrainian-Orthodox which is one of the oldest religions. When it comes to Jesus and God, the Bible, I am a strong believer. Growing up my familiy was never a "every Sunday" family per-say, but religion was instilled in me at a very young age and it is very important to me. I say my prayers and I know God watches over myslef and my family.

What I would like to see is all the churchs come together and put differences aside. I would like to see the churches doing positive work and dealing with real issues that effects the Earth we were so blessed to have. What about raising money for disaster victims. What about famines in Africa (Yes many churches do missions, but it is never enough), or donating money for Cancer research. Deal with the violence that has crept into today's society. Stop exposing young children to the sexual messages that run our society. Young children learn too much at a young age these days, bring back their innocence. These are the problems that the churches should deal with, not a children's movie.

Guest fireball

Fair comment there ii, but I think I either heard or read, that they've

toned down the religiosity bit and went with "action and adventure"

that, being, it mightn't upset those of an Christian bent. Sooo,that leaves only 2&3 to be wondering about, will they pull a fast one,? after all if their doing movies based on the books, with its underlining

'message' they'd better do something to make it none Disneyish in content.! Or just have a wishywashy 'plot', and just do "good V evil" and have fantasy animals duking it out with 'guest starring' humans as an afterthought.!

Personally I'd give ANYTHING that gives any religion any hint of

being anti towards it (belief) I'd just avoid it, just in case I might just actually be royally pihsed off.!!! :readingtwo:

Just my opinion for what's it worth. :readingtwo:

And Adam....good one. icon14.gif

I'm sorry I think the Catholic Church needs to pick its battles. There are much worse they could be worried about. What about the stuff that comes on TV at eleven at night. What about the giant advertising campaigns that send strong sexual messages to children. What about the horror films in theatres that are being released where people are being torrtured on screen. All that is fine, but a children's movie gets their attention.

Adam, a very good point. I completely agree.

Why don't Churches do more of the good things?

I think churches can go only so far as people themselves are willing to go.

Do active non-believers want more action? Let them put their shoulder to the wheel (any wheel) and push forward, instead of against.

Are the minds of children worth fighting for?

You bet your bippy!

Even Dawkins knows that.

In my opinion the Catholic Church can criticise it all they want, plenty people are not Catholic or of no religion at all and the film will find an audience among these people.

I don't think the film will do any damage to the religious or non-religious children, I think that younger children will be too young to realise the subtext of the film and books and will just enjoy the fantasy. I believe that all older children should be able to watch the film and form their own opinion. I don't believe for a moment that it would make them question their faith and if it does, often it makes their faith stronger.

I am an atheist and I love the books. There is room for all sorts of opinions in this world regarding religion. We all deserve the right to worship in the way we choose, but we must give others the opportunity to question the foundations of faith. I do not believe this is blasphemous provided all are able to be equal in expressing our opinions.

There are childrens' films with both religious and irreligious contexts, but let kids enjoy them for the fantasy and spectacle.

I also agree with Adam, there is much more for all churches to be worried about morally than this film.

I really want to see it, but have no one to go with! My bloke won't go see it - he's atheist too, just doesn't like fantasy :readingtwo:

I am a happy atheist and I am so looking forward to the film as are my children - the trailers look great. My kids have read the books and the eldest especially loved them so much so that we went to see the 6 hour production at the South Bank along with loads of other families and they had to put it on the following year it was so popular.

My kids will ultimately decide for themselves if and when they choose religion or not and I will support them either way. I choose not to impose it on them, they have more than enought to contend with just growing up right now. The film will contribute to the rich tapestry of life that they already enjoy :readingtwo:

I am a happy atheist and I am so looking forward to the film as are my children - the trailers look great. My kids have read the books and the eldest especially loved them so much so that we went to see the 6 hour production at the South Bank along with loads of other families and they had to put it on the following year it was so popular.

My kids will ultimately decide for themselves if and when they choose religion or not and I will support them either way. I choose not to impose it on them, they have more than enought to contend with just growing up right now. The film will contribute to the rich tapestry of life that they already enjoy :readingtwo:

The reason that you make sense is that you are sensible, and tolerant! There are so many people who have nothing no moral compass

at all and they are the ones who complain most about all aspects of religious/philosophical work.

I taught a kid today who said he fundamentally objected to RE in school because he didn't want to look at other religious beliefs like Muslim or Jewish because he was a Christian. He has never been to church and when I tried to point out that most Christians would be able to understand other belliefs he did not get it!

Rant over

I don't have much to add except to say how impressed I am with this thread. We have managed to discuss a potentially explosive issue (religion) without arguing, despite our differing beliefs. Boy I love this forum. :readingtwo: If only the rest of the world were so tolerant towards each other's beliefs...

...I think I can finish that thought: many of the world's problems would disappear!:blush: Religion is such a sensitive issue, because so many things are tied up with it. For me, I'm a somewhat spiritual agnostic now, who was raised Catholic.:readingtwo::lol: Everyone has their own ideas about religion, whether they attend church or not. It has indeed been wonderful to see how respectful everyone has been. I love this forum, too!:readingtwo:

It is the lack of any knowledge about religion or morality that frightens me and lots of young people do not have a clue.

If you have been raised as ... or have some knowledge ...you do!

Kids I teach.... why is the world's population growing? because of immigration (from where ...Mars!)

Design your ideal town or city.. well we would have a church ... Why..becuse there is a mosque in Dudley, well yes there are and there are churches too (in fact more) Why, do you go to church ? No but I don't want any mosques at all.Do you get any religions of the book ... no.!!

Louise, that's sad. I read somewhere that historically, societies that banned any form of religion, namely dictatorships, failed in the end. Positive affirmation of any faith is a good thing. I must admit that I've heard similar nonsense from children down my way too. [ I tried pointing out that a lot of their grandparents were Irish immigrants, apparently "that's diffrent, innit?"]:readingtwo:

I don't have much to add except to say how impressed I am with this thread. We have managed to discuss a potentially explosive issue (religion) without arguing, despite our differing beliefs. Boy I love this forum. :readingtwo: If only the rest of the world were so tolerant towards each other's beliefs...

I agree! I love this forum too! :readingtwo: