So what's all this palaver about The Golden Compass then?

~V~

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason that you make sense is that you are sensible, and tolerant! There are so many people who have nothing no moral compass

at all and they are the ones who complain most about all aspects of religious/philosophical work.

I taught a kid today who said he fundamentally objected to RE in school because he didn't want to look at other religious beliefs like Muslim or Jewish because he was a Christian. He has never been to church and when I tried to point out that most Christians would be able to understand other belliefs he did not get it!

Rant over

I think that's crazy. Other religions are important to understand even if I don't agree/believe in them.

I don't have much to add except to say how impressed I am with this thread. We have managed to discuss a potentially explosive issue (religion) without arguing, despite our differing beliefs. Boy I love this forum. :readingtwo: If only the rest of the world were so tolerant towards each other's beliefs...

I totally agree.

I will add that I don't have a problem with "a good story" that has atheist undertones. I think my issue with this particular work is that I get the impression there is a subtle deception going on. Instead of doing an adult film that depicts anti-religious beliefs, this work is marketed toward children with intent to influence indirectly.

But at least Pullman has come out and declared his intentions. Frankly, I just don't like ANYTHING being aimed at children this way. Indirect sexual messages or pushy marketing techniques to make them buy toys irritates me to no end.

Again, I still haven't decided whether I'm going to see the movie or not. Perhaps NOT seeing it is giving the thing too much importance.

When it comes to my kids, I try very hard to keep an eye on the messages they get. It's a tough decision.