E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I've whiled away a few minutes playing 'Minesweeper' on my Kindle. There's another game on there, too, but I haven't played that yet

Woah! Are you serious? Are there games pre-loaded on the Kindle?? Have I been missing this all along?? :o

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The low cost of e-books combined with its portability will definately encourage me to read more. I will have to watch my spending then to make sure I don't get carried away !

Amazon are very clever with their "One-Click" buying option - it makes it way too easy to purchase things on a whim.... I've had my Kindle for about 3/4 months now and I've got about 70 books on it already! I have to admit around half are the free classics that you can download, though. But my most recent purchase was £10.99 which seems ridiculously expensive for an electronic book (but we just had to have it... the sequel to the book I'm currently reading).

I wouldn't be without it though :)

Amazon are very clever with their "One-Click" buying option - it makes it way too easy to purchase things on a whim.... I've had my Kindle for about 3/4 months now and I've got about 70 books on it already! I have to admit around half are the free classics that you can download, though. But my most recent purchase was £10.99 which seems ridiculously expensive for an electronic book (but we just had to have it... the sequel to the book I'm currently reading).

I wouldn't be without it though :)

I totally agree with you its far to easy and I now have over 120 books on my kindle too. I am a little confused with some of their pricing inconsistencies sometime though for example the third part of a book has risen from £4.99 to £8.49 with the 4th book back to £3.99 I have resisted the 3rd part so far but am seriously tempted to get it just hate the price.

I've had my Kindle since February and I love it! I've probably read more books on it this year than I would have done otherwise, It's just so easy to use. It'll never replace paper books though, but I definitely wouldn't be without it. I actually get some criticism from people saying "How could you be so disloyal to books!?" which annoys me a lot, of course all of these people have never even held a kindle!

Had no idea the Kindle had games though! Will have to have a squint at that!

Does anyone know how if there are any programmes for Kindle so that the text to speak function has a British rather than American accent, as I am finding it extremely irritating ! You really would have thought they would have realised that a Kindle for the British market should have a British accent but I guess not.

Does anyone know how if there are any programmes for Kindle so that the text to speak function has a British rather than American accent, as I am finding it extremely irritating ! You really would have thought they would have realised that a Kindle for the British market should have a British accent but I guess not.

If you find out the answer please let me know! :smile2: I don't use the text to speech for that reason, it just doesn't sound right. :blush:

I got my kindle yesterday and it is a blast! I already read one Vampire Academy novel - loved it. I named the kindle Lizzy after the classic Jane Austen heroine (my fave of hers). She comes with a leather black cover with light, which is essential for bedtime reading :D I'm so pleased! My present to me.

I think you should suggest it to them as its a good idea.

I only tried using it once and it read out "chapter III" as "chapter eye eye eye" as that was as much as I was prepared to put up with.

I must admit, I've never used any of the other functions on my Kindle other than reading books! The most I've done is create collections to keep some order on it, but that's it. Don't think I would be able to get on with the text-to-speech function, but I can see how it would be useful for others

I think you should suggest it to them as its a good idea.

Yes, I suppose I should really, although you really would have thought that they would have done that anyway - I mean if I was launching a product like this for the UK market, I would do this. There is a thread on the Kindle forum already on this subject, so I suspect that they do know about it already, but I will contact them directly as well using the email address they supplied for feedback when I bought my Kindle. Maybe it's something they will do for the 4th generation, whenever that comes out.

I've now devoured two books on my lovely Kindle.

I've only had it for a couple of days, but I honestly am so pleased with it. I think of it as a magic book - you know, those you read about in fairy tales that can change their content? ANY book can appear in my magic book. And the black leather cover with light makes it look just right. I think I have a kindle crush.

I go back and forth between my Kindle and my Nook. I own a 2nd-Generation Kindle, and a Nook color. I love them both. I have noticed I read way more books with the e-readers. And books I would (could) not normally carry. Such as 800 page hard cover books by Stephen King et al. I want to read them, but with shoulder problems they are difficult to cary to and from work, so the readers are perfect. I don't know how I lived all my life without this device!

I feel exactly the same now I have one - I don't think I could go back to paper books now (aprt from certain types of non fiction) as e-books are just so much more readable and convenient.

Edited by Talisman

Am considering a Kindle for Christmas, so 2 questions -

Is there anyone who has bought an kindle/ereader and is NOT happy with it?

What do you find you are reading in your Kindle? Are you reading the same books you would have read if you were still reading tree books, I.e, new releases... Or, are you reading the freebie/cheap books available?

What do you find you are reading in your Kindle? Are you reading the same books you would have read if you were still reading tree books, I.e, new releases... Or, are you reading the freebie/cheap books available?

A mix of the two, if I'm honest. I definitely still look out for the new books from my favourite authors, and I'll be prepared to pay full price for them, as I would with a real book version, but I'm reluctant to buy an ebook version if the price is more or very close to the price of the paperback version. But then I was always the sort of person who bought mostly 3 for 2 books in Waterstone's (or similar offers or bargains in other bookshops) who would only occasionally buy a single book for full RRP from independent bookshops (which I still do, in order to support them). Nowadays, I'm a regular visitor of the Kindle Bargains page to keep an eye out for anything interesting, and use that as my alternative for random browsing in Waterstone's.

I have only had my Kindle for about 3 weeks, but have read 4 books on it during that time - if you look at my book list for the year you will see that at the beginning of the year it took me 2 whole months to read this much ! Like others I too find myself browsing the Amazon store for all sorts of books to read - it is just so easy to search for different types of books, bu genre, by author, or even by country, which for the most part would not be possible in a store, plus Amazon stock or can access every single book that is currently in print, which for obvious reasons a book store also cannot, hence the huge range of choice. I then have found myself looking at all sorts of different books that I would never have known about where it not for my Kindle -I have downloaded sample chapters from at least half a dozen other books in addition to the four that I have read, and while most of the free classic books do not necessarily appeal to me, have downloaded at least one non classic freebie.

I used to think that Amazon were the bad boys when it came to their treatment of authors and publishers with their agressive stance on discounts and marketing, but with the Kindle, they appear to the authors best friend, with a very reasonable royalty structure, far better than you would ever get on print books, and NO middle men to pay meaning that for the first time, the independent author can stand alongside and compete equally with the big boys.

Edited by Talisman

I have to admit that I'm having trouble getting into my kindle - I know all the good reasons for using it, but I still prefer having a book in my hands. I can't quite work out why though.

I'm the same. I keep thinking when I finish a tree book that I should then read an ebook seeing as how I have them but then find myself picking up another tree book. I also keep looking on amazon at the prices and if its cheaper for the kindle think I will put it on the kindle but then I just never seem to get around to doing that one click to get it. I think my main problem is that I carry a book around with me to read on the bus or at lunch time and my kindle is just too expensive to be doing that (in my mind) I tell myself to read tree book during the day and ebook at night but I get so engrossed in tree book I forget to pick up ebook.

I have been happy with both my e-readers.

I read a lot of things I would not normally read. There are free books out there available from Amazon/BN that are actually pretty good. It takes some searching. I don't usually read new releases, because they cost too much but I've read some. Usually I'm reading older books that I've always wanted to read. I just received my first 'lend me' book on Kindle. My friend Lent me "Catching Fire" which I have 2 weeks to read.

No matter which ereader you get, you will love it.