E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I'm starting to get into my kindle a little more now. More importantly, my girls have started using it. Amy who's 7 is already an eager reader, but she thinks the kindle is rather cool, and prefers using it. Beth, who's a very reluctant reader is also picking it up, which is brilliant. In fact, I'm so pleased that I've just ordered a 2nd kindle, so we're not fighting over the same one. :)

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just come back from a a week away, and my Kindle really came into its own. Not only did I need to pack one less bag (I usually take about a dozen books with me for a week away), but I didn't even have to think about which books I needed to take with me each day when going out. Just put the Kindle in my bag and if I finished one book while I was out, I had ALL the others I had with me to choose from for the next read! Couldn't be without it now. :smile2:

I've just come back from a a week away, and my Kindle really came into its own. Not only did I need to pack one less bag (I usually take about a dozen books with me for a week away), but I didn't even have to think about which books I needed to take with me each day when going out. Just put the Kindle in my bag and if I finished one book while I was out, I had ALL the others I had with me to choose from for the next read! Couldn't be without it now. :smile2:

That's a great feeling having your whole library to hand isn't it chesilbeach? My 14 year old daughter is reading mine right this minute, she doesn't know it yet but we are planning to get her one for her birthday.

I think the kindle is awesome, not only a money saver, but so useful, and the price is just right to make it a really cool present for someone else.

Although sceptical about e-books initially, I'm now enjoying using my Kindle, too. I still read 'proper' books as well but the Kindle is so convenient when travelling. I have the wi-fi version and am able to download the books via USB transfer or, when in a branch of a well-known pub chain, browse/download using their free wi-fi ('Cloud').

:giggle2:

:D

The final decision was made when I realized how many classics I could get for nothing or next to nothing. AND, I know House of Silence by Linda Gillard will be worth every penny I spent for it.

Pixie - you can also get a lot of free classics on the Gutenberg Project site.

Because it is an American site (I think) the copyright laws are different to ours and so you have to be a bit careful. For instance, I wanted to download some P G Wodehouse stuff that was free on their site but would have infringed our copyright laws (something to do with PG not having been dead for 70 years, I believe) so I bought them in the end from Amazon

Edited by Ophelia

HI,

I'm new to this site and sought it out after being a proud owner of my Kindle since January. My Mum keeps joking that I've read more books since Jan than I've read in my whole life :D So I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself before I tootle off and carry on reading my kindle :D Look forward to getting to know you all :bye2:

Pixie - you can also get a lot of free classics on the Gutenberg Project site.

Because it is an American site (I think) the copywrite laws are different to ours and so you have to be a bit careful. For instance, I wanted to download some P G Wodehouse stuff that was free on their site but would have infringed our copywrite laws (something to do with PG not having been dead for 70 years, I believe) so I bought them in the end from Amazon

Thank you so much, Ophelia. That site looks excellent. I think I will be spending some time there in the near future. :wink:

HI,

I'm new to this site and sought it out after being a proud owner of my Kindle since January. My Mum keeps joking that I've read more books since Jan than I've read in my whole life :D So I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself before I tootle off and carry on reading my kindle :D Look forward to getting to know you all :bye2:

Welcome, Cherbs. :)

One thing that does bother me about Kindle are some of the prices publishers set. Don't they know that they could make the big bucks off of someone like me? I'm the type of reader that will pay up to $5.00 for the Kindle version to see if I like the book, and if it's a keeper shell out the money for the physical copy so it will look pretty on my bookshelf. I think they may wise up in the not to distant future, though, and lower e-book prices considerably.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just wondering if anyone found the battery life on the Kindle went down quicker when in sleep mode, or turned off completely between reads. I expect the power surge would reduce it a bit but not sure what is best. I made the mistake once forgetting to turn the GPRS switch off and the battery went down in about a day!

Edited by SueK

Was just wondering if anyone found the battery life on the Kindle went down quicker when in sleep mode, or turned off completely between reads. I expect the power surge would reduce it a bit but not sure what is best. I made the mistake once forgetting to turn the GPRS switch off and the battery went down in about a day!

You can turn it off completely??? :huh: Mine's always in sleep, even though I'm reading a paperback atm.

My battery seems to last for ages, but I do try to remember to turn the wireless off.

Same here, I always turn my wifi off. I do that with my phone too, must be a habit ;)

You can turn it off completely??? :huh: Mine's always in sleep, even though I'm reading a paperback atm.

Same here, I always turn my wifi off. I do that with my phone too, must be a habit ;)

I always turn my off when I sleep at night. Other than that, I put it in sleep mode when I am not using it.

Also, I never have wi-fi on as I don't use it and the battery life seems to be doing well.

I didn't know you could turn it off! I leave mine in sleep mode, and like everyone else has said, it's only if I leave the network switched on that the battery runs low. The network will run down the battery, but that will increase more if you're carrying the Kindle with you as you will be in and out of signal ranges and picking up other networks that your own, and that's what eats up power.

I didn't know you could turn it off!

How do you turn it off completely then ?

I have just been flicking the switch at the bottom.

To turn it off you push the power switch on the bottom as if you were putting it to sleep, but hold it there for seven seconds. The screen should flicker so you know it is off. To turn it back on, simply flip the switch. No need to hold it for any length of time.

To do a complete reboot if your Kindle ever freezes, you hold that switch for fifteen seconds. I haven't had to do this, but that is what my Kindle guide says.

You can do a hard reboot too??? :o Why would I need to do that? :unsure: Oh my, this is just blowing my un-technominded mind :blink:

Thanks for the info Pixie! I guess I should really read the destruction manual :blush:

Thanks pixie - that's my "you learn something new everyday" for today!

I knew about the hard reboot as I had to use it (worked brilliantly), but hadn't even thought of turning my Kindle off.

I am therefore seconding Chesilbeach's thanks, and her day's new learning. :D

Thanks Pixie

I know how to reboot as I had to do that about half an hour after I got it (I was turning pages to quickly in the excitement)but didn't think that that was turning it off too :doh:

You can do a hard reboot too??? :o Why would I need to do that? :unsure: Oh my, this is just blowing my un-technominded mind :blink:

Thanks for the info Pixie! I guess I should really read the destruction manual :blush:

You're welcome, everyone. :)

:giggle2: at Charm's "destruction" manual.