E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I'VE GOT ONE, I'VE GOT ONE, I'VE GOT ONE!!!

Husband decided I should have a surprise and bought me a Kindle. I'VE GOT ONE!

So very excited and happy, and have downloaded about 12 free books (including Magyk by Angie Sage) and 4 very cheap books.

I had planned on getting myself a Kindle at some stage, maybe next year, but my utterly gorgeous other half decided I should have one now. I love it, and instnctively know that I will make great use of it alongside my 'traditional' book reading. :D

Congrats! I'm sure you will be happy with it! It really is amazing how many great free and cheap books there are available for download. Happy reading!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else use the option to create collections of books to keep the books in order on their Kindle? I find it really useful, because it means I can find books much more easily than if they're just in one long list, but I find it a bit frustrating that they keep moving them so that the last collection you've been reading a book from, and then within that collection the book you've been reading most recently, moves to the top. I like order, and I want to be able to order them how I want, not based on most recently opened.

I also don't get the option to create collections on the Kindle app for the iPad, but I'm trying to just use that as an occasional reader for Kindle apps when I don't have too much light, so I'm just keeping the books on there that I'm reading at the moment.

Does anyone else use the option to create collections of books to keep the books in order on their Kindle? I find it really useful, because it means I can find books much more easily than if they're just in one long list, but I find it a bit frustrating that they keep moving them so that the last collection you've been reading a book from, and then within that collection the book you've been reading most recently, moves to the top. I like order, and I want to be able to order them how I want, not based on most recently opened.

I also don't get the option to create collections on the Kindle app for the iPad, but I'm trying to just use that as an occasional reader for Kindle apps when I don't have too much light, so I'm just keeping the books on there that I'm reading at the moment.

I haven't gone into a great deal of detail with it, but I have created some simple collections such as 'books to read', 'books finished', 'book samples' etc. When I read a book I've been moving it out of the collection so that it's available on the main menu, but I've had a couple of instances where I've gone back to the menu and the book has disappeared, meaning I've had to re-sort either by author or title in order to find it. It's a bit strange :huh:

I have all my books in collections according to genre, but like you I get a bit annoyed that the most recently opened always flicks to the top, but it's a small gripe considering how awesome it otherwise is :)

I am a still sat on the fence. I have a kindle and love using it especially with the applications that mean you can read it between you phone as well as the machine.

Use the kindle when I am on holiday saves carrying so many books. HOWEVER can't beat the smell of a new book and the feel when you open.

Well and truly stuck on the fence for this one

Have any of you guys got a Kobo ebook? I've seen an advert for one and it looks ok, and it comes in Lilac!

What do you think? Or is a kindle the better option?

Edited by madcow

Hi all

Does anyone know if it's possible to edit Collections. I have set up a few but want to change the wording on some of them (I'm a bit anal that way :giggle2: ). I can't find anything on it on the Kindle help page unless I'm missing it.

OK, doh, I've just found out how to do it. You can rename etc on the collection page. Sorry ................. :smile2:

Edited by SueK

me again :smile2:

Check out these amazing Kindle skins. This selection (over 800) is from the US but I have checked and you can get some of them on Amazon uk and on ebay. Hmm, I really want one.........

Kindle skins

My Kindle had a software update last night. The locations are now gone, and apparently are replaced by real page numbers (where possible). Pretty good, I think, as I never could make sense of the locations. :lol:

There are a few other changes as well. When you get to the end of a book, you can rate it, get recommendations, and a listing of other books by the same author. I like updates. :D

Edited by bobblybear

My Kindle had a software update last night. The locations are now gone, and apparently are replaced by real page numbers (where possible). Pretty good, I think, as I never could make sense of the locations. :lol:

There are a few other changes as well. When you get to the end of a book, you can rate it, get recommendations, and a listing of other books by the same author. I like updates. :D

I'm having trouble downloading this update. I've got the 3G version so was hoping that it would automatically download. It hasn't and I've tried to download via the PC but it hasn't worked. I'll give it another go maybe this evening.

Did you download via wifi or PC Bobblybear?

I have quite a few books on my 'Kindle for PC' thing. Does anyone know how to transfer them to the Kindle?

Glad of any advice

To transfer content to your Kindle.

1. Connect the USB cable to the Kindle and your computer

2. Your Kindle should appear on your computer in the same location you would normally find an external USB drive

3. Open your Kindle drive. You should see a folder entitled 'documents.'

4. Transfer the downloaded files into the 'documents' folder of your Kindle. (Drag and Drop) ( Or copy, which is how I do it.)

5. Using your computer, eject your Kindle from your computer. The content you transferred should now appear in Home.

When you transfer a book to the Kindle it will start indexing it (Basically logging all the words for Search purposes, plus noting things like date added, title, author's name) This doesn't take very long with one book, but if you download a large number in one go it will drain the battery quite quickly so don't be surprised if you see that happen. Also, while doing the indexing your Kindle may react more slowly to keyed commands. You may need to be a little patient. People often complain that their Kindle has locked up during this process, but that's invariably due to them pressing key after key without waiting for the Kindle to react.

Hope this helps