E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

I must agree with you G14. The first page of this thread was slightly confusing. No-one seems to like e-readers? Why would that be?

My hubby bought me a kindle for xmas and I am absolutely inlove with it. I have been able to read books I otherwise wouldn't have even bothered reading. I joined this Forum and saw that Fahrenheit 451 was the January book and within 3 seconds I had downloaded the FREE e-book to my kindle.

I can lie in bed on a saturday morning and download my newpaper without having to make myself look decent to the public eye to go and buy one.

I love my Kindle and can't imagine why any book lovers wouldn't. It opens up SO many doors! It's brilliant! You will find yourself reading alot more.

One of the features I love most about the kindle, is that it has a built in dictionary. So while reading your passage, if you come across a word you don't understand, you highlight it and there you go, the definintion is right there!

Don't knock it till you've tried it!!

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a sony reader touch for Xmas, Love it! There are plenty of books for free (project Gutenberg, google books etc) and lots for very cheap (waterstones even allow you to search on price then genre/author etc). There are cases that have lights built in so thats not really an issue and so far it been all positive for me, I especially like the "create note" function where you can pinpoint something you highlighted instantly to re-read or refer to. Thumbs up from me :D

One of the features I love most about the kindle, is that it has a built in dictionary. So while reading your passage, if you come across a word you don't understand, you highlight it and there you go, the definintion is right there!

Now that the hyperanalytic reader in me likes the sound of.

Don't knock it till you've tried it!!
As someone who has posted in the first page of this thread, let me clarify my position :D I don't have anything against ebooks per se; I think they have their place and use. What I'm not so fond of is:

- those who predict or wish that the ebook will one day entirely replace real books, and with books all notion of losing yourself in a bookstore for yours, scanning titles, stroking covers, dipping in and our of worlds to see which is to our liking that day;

- the fact that they're fragile and attractive to thieves; therefore I wouldn't use one in the bath or dare take in on holiday with me. For how expensive they are, I could get 26 full-priced actual paperbacks, which can follow me anywhere and no one will want to steal.

- a lot of useful (i.e. updated textbooks) or non-bestselling books are hard to come by in this format.

I would one day love to have an e-reader to sit alongside my actual books. I'm waiting until they come down in price though, and I would like one that has a colour screen and a couple of other features.

I'm very interested to see what Apple comes up with as it has been predicted that they'll release a tablet sometime this month. Being Apple though, I guess it will be out of my price range. But it's nice to dream.

My OH wanted to get me one for when I fly as most of the weight in my suitcase is due to my books. But I refused and asked him to spend the money on actual books. But having my close friend in the states saying how amazing it was and how I am going to check it out when I next go over I might be tempted to get one for the journeys I go on.

But I love books, I love collecting them and reading them, seeing how much you have progressed by looking at where your bookmark is placed. I don' t think I will ever like it as much. But then I am like this with my Vinyls and CD's I have an Ipod which I use for when I got out and in my car, yet I never use MP3s at home, good old fashion vinyls and Cds for me.

I don't think that e-readers are ever going to replace good ol fashion text books and novels. Also, I don't think that by owning an e-reader, you are restrained to using only that. I have found that the price for the kindle DEFINATELY is made up if you consider the price difference of an e-book to that of a new hardcopy. I could easily pay R200.00 for a book, where as my e-books are either free or really cheap! But each to their own... Neither are wrong... just what you prefer...

Like Kylie, I'm waiting for the price to come down considerably. I'd love to have a Sony e-reader - my Mam has one and it's really nice with a decent-sized screen that really is easy on the eye. I would most likely just use it for being out-and-about and would probably just read the classic books that came with it or a couple of extra books I picked up here and there, but I'd still be reading proper books at home. If I'm lucky, my Mam will get bored with hers and give it to me. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I can see that for someone who travels a lot these would be handy to have around, but I don't think they could ever replace proper books for me.

I have a DS and got the 100 Classic books for that but it just isn't the same for me. I miss the feel and smell of a book. This probably wasn't the best thing to try it on though, the pages just weren't big enough and you constantly had to flip, although it did make the noise of a book turning when you did this, like I said, just wasn't the same.

I heard Apple is releasing iPad ( I think the original iTablet was a bit of a better name). However it will be interesting to see how Apple's device compares with Sony and Kindle. I think it would help if all the devices made novels downloaded from various sites (ie Itunes, Amazon, etc...) would help them all sell better and make these devices mainstream, especially since unlike the IPod, Apple is coming into the ebook medium a little late, and can't make decisions, which will totally affect the buying market...

I preferred iSlate, personally. I'm quite an Apple fan, and the iPad interests me in the 'Cool! Shiny new techology!' way, but I would have to think long and hard before getting one. It will be interesting to see how it does as an ebook reader when it doesn't use the e-ink technology that all other readers do. I think that could be a downside.

Got one for chirstmas, and while it's incredibly handy to cart around volumes of books in the physical form of one, it does take some getting used to.

For me the jury's out on which I prefer - the convenience of the e-book or the smell and feel of a real one.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine got the Sony Reader for her birthday just before she went away to university, for convenience's sake. I had a go and while I was impressed with how good it was, I still prefer real books.

I like holding them, looking at the cover art, watching how you progress through. I take great delight in cracking the spines :roll:.

Also, and this is the show-off in me, I like seeing my bookshelves full to bursting with books I've read. It makes me smile :).

Ebooks don't feel like real books to me. I'll read them, but it's not like reading a book. They completely lack substance (literally, but also they seem shorter to me) and if I really like the book I'll finish it feeling like I'm missing out on something. So I much much prefer actual books.

Not entirely related to anything but

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/feb/15/charlie-brooker-ebook-convert

It's Charlie Brooker's opinion on the e-book situation and he's always worth a read.

that was a great article i for one will buy one but i think the technology is still at an early stage and i am sure that prices will also drop...hopefully by this xmas. The way to get us hooked is sell the hardware at below

I'd actually quite like one. I didn't think I would.

Mostly I just want to feel like I'm in the future!

I wonder how I'd feel about it though. There is something psychological about holding a book in your hand, seeng how far you've got and how much you have left to read.

Also in the author's note at the end of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon he mentions that he chose the font for a specific reason. I wonder if the font choice would be included when you download a book.

Maybe someone who has one could tell me. Or can you choose a font yourself?

And what about footnotes in a lot of non-fiction books. How are they accessed?

You do not have a choice of font. I've heard you can put an app on the Kindle that will allow you to do so. You can change the size of the font. I'm pleased with the font Amazon chose.

I've only read novels on my Kindle so I don't know how footnotes work. Good question.

I'm up to 15 novels so far read on my Kindle. Truly do love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the Monster post. Having read all the discussion so far (was going to change my "what I'm reading" status to this thread) I wanted to address some points raised - I've tried not to repeat what's already been said or at least add something. It's a big thread so if missed something sorry.

My eReader Background

Firstly this thread is generally much like my feelings towards eBooks. I HATE THEM, well they

• 2 months later...