Where Are Your Books Kept?

Adam

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is a reception room the same as a lounge room? I'd never heard that term before I moved to the UK! :)

We used to call them that in Canada as well - we had 2 in my mum and dad's house (a living room and a family room). I guess if you have one, it's called a sitting room, but more than one and they're referred to in the plural as reception rooms. So the slightly smaller one in my flat, which has the telly in it, and the comfy sofa, is the sitting room. And the larger, more formal room is the drawing room. The furniture in there is slightly less comfy, more decorative.

Most of my books are in the study. There's bookshelves going from floor to ceiling on three walls, with the wall with the windows left free. The shelves aren't crammed with books, obviously, so I've been able to include some decorative items and memorabilia in there, too. I love the way they look now. There's a low shelve unit going under the windows with draws and cabinets, where I was able to stash the printer-thingy and stuff like filing folders and ugly school papers.

Then there's shelves in the kitchen for the cook books, and trust me, there's plenty. Reading those shelves is rather bad for your neck, as I have English and Finnish books mixed with French, and the texts on the spine go in different directions. So you're turning your head from one side to the other all the time. My friends hate me for that.

Then there's books scattered around the house, so for decorative reasons, there's some big coffee table books on, surprisingly, the coffee table in the living room. I have some in a basket in my bedroom, those that I'm reading, but I try to keep my bedroom as uncluttered as possible. Even from books. I do, on the other hand, keep some books in the guest bedroom, for people to read if they didn't bring a book with them and don't want to go to the study for a book hunt. And there's a few dozen chic-lit items in the bathroom as they won't be mourned over so much if they fall into the bath by accident. (Or set fire, as one did, from the candle. Learn from my mistake: never reach for the class of wine without taking your eyes off the book.) I think the dining room is the only one completely lacking books... There's even some in the hallway and my walk-in closet.

I'm another 'all over the place' person! We have a bookcase in the lounge, one in the study, one in the spare room, and last year I had a bookcase built in underneath our stairs which is awesome (Pictured below when it was just finished - it's full to overflowing now!).

I keep a stack of books on my beside table and the one I'm currently reading goes everywhere with me!

Bookcase.jpg

My husband and I have 2x6 shelve bookcases bursting with books - on one of my husbands shelves, it is two rows deep - that is how short of space we are for our passion. O'h yes - we have two over-flowing shelves in his study, too!! Then, there are (neat!!!??!!!) piles on the floor by our bedside tables. I also have my 'current' book on me all the time so that I can read at any spare moment.:)

But we are not a slave to our passion, at all, are we???

Dread to think what it would be like if we were :D

Kirstykat

• 2 weeks later...

Me too Adam! I was looking through my beloved IKEA catalogue last night for solutions and thought I'd found it: some nice boxes to slide under my bed. Then I looked at the gap under my bed and realised I'd overestimated how big it is! Back to the drawing board!

Maybe I'll buy a new bed. One that's high off the ground so I can put drawers or something under it. Man, this is turning into an expensive hobby :jump:

Me too Adam! I was looking through my beloved IKEA catalogue last night for solutions and thought I'd found it: some nice boxes to slide under my bed. Then I looked at the gap under my bed and realised I'd overestimated how big it is! Back to the drawing board!

Maybe I'll buy a new bed. One that's high off the ground so I can put drawers or something under it. Man, this is turning into an expensive hobby :jump:

I love IKEA! It is so cool and modern, not to mention functional. LOL, I agree books are an expensive hobby :lol:

I have a small bookshelf in my flat for my new books, and a box of old ones. However, space is so limited that I don't have room to bring all my books that I have. The vast collection of books I have still live at my Mum's house, as it is much bigger than my tiny flat. She doesn't mind them taking up space in the living room because apparently it makes her look clever!

I have just moved into my first house, so at the moment they are all still in boxes. (apart from the ones ive snook out) But it also means that soon I too will be making a trip to Ikea. Before they were on a shelf in my bedroom, of course i have had to leave them behind as my brother has now taken over.

Instead of getting a new bed, you could get some bricks (if the colour is bad for your room, paint them, get creative) and lift your bed on those. That way you'll get more room under your bed, and they make an interesting decorative point. Or if you're one of those people that have their bed legs covered, then no one will know.

I, too, have a huge bookcase in the living room where I keep my most precious books including my 'Everyman' collection. Most of these books are very old and in a quite delicate state and if I want to re-read, say, one of the classics then I'll get an old paperback version or a copy from the library as I'm afraid that my copy will fall to bits. I still get the books out of the case to gently turn and sniff the 'tissuey' pages, though!

Other books are kept in two bookcases in the bedroom, two in the hall and one other (smallish) in the living room. Other locations include the floor and the tops of cupboards etc.

My current reads and any library books I might have on loan are kept in a large canvas bag, just known as 'the book bag'.

Instead of getting a new bed, you could get some bricks (if the colour is bad for your room, paint them, get creative) and lift your bed on those.

Hmm, that's a very interesting idea ii! My dad's quite the handyman so I might talk it over with him. Thanks for the idea!

You're very welcome, Kylie. It comes from years of being the "pocket version", and getting creative when in need for something to stand on (the list includes beer gegs, revolving chairs, bookshelves, bicycles...). Seriously, every time I tell a story to BF and his friends and say something like "when I was little" then interrupt with "so that would be yesterday?" Sometimes it's not so nice to be just over five feet tall...

Today I created a perfect book system. On my shelf I keep all my TBR books and then once I am done reading a book I put it in this box which is right beside my book shelf. It is the perfect system. I was running out of room so I had to think of something. Lets hope this works :jump: