Your Book Activity - September 2016

Athena

That's nice to hear :).What did you think of the Final Friends trilogy? I have the omnibus titled Until the End

I really enjoy the final friends trilogy. I've read it quite a few times. It's not like a lot of his other books. No sci-fi! I've not heard if Until the End. What kind of omnibus is it?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nice to hear :).What did you think of the Final Friends trilogy? I have the omnibus titled Until the End

I really enjoy the final friends trilogy. I've read it quite a few times. It's not like a lot of his other books. No sci-fi! I've not heard if Until the End. What kind of omnibus is it?

I'm glad to hear you liked the Final Friends trilogy. Until the End contains the books The Party, The Dance and The Graduation (see here on Amazon UK for a picture, ISBN 9781442422520).

I made good progress in my re-read of Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World, I'm now on page 333 out of 800. Long books take long to read lol :P.

I finished Rawblood and it unfortunately went so far downhill in the last quarter that it almost jumped from 4 stars to 2, but I'm giving it 3 based on the quality of the writing and how good it started out.

Now reading the next book I grabbed from the Gollancz sale - The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone. So far, nearly a quarter in, it's surprisingly well written and enjoyable! I may also start Black Eyed Susans by Julia Something. I'm really bad at remembering author names.

I remember it took me a while to get into Lorna Doone as well, I found it dragged for a while and thought the language was a bit "flowery".  It did pick up though - I'd just been on holiday in the Exmoor area and so it helped reading about the various locations.

I have half a dozen books currently currently reading :blush2: , but the only one of them that I can get into is Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex,and I'm loving it!!  :smile:

Wohoo!!  :exc:  :exc:   I'm really happy that you're enjoying the novel so much!! :smile2:  

I'm currently reading Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty. 

I remember it took me a while to get into Lorna Doone as well, I found it dragged for a while and thought the language was a bit "flowery".  It did pick up though - I'd just been on holiday in the Exmoor area and so it helped reading about the various locations.

Thanks for that.  I don't usually have a problem with 'flowery' language - rather the reverse it seems - but it's taking a while to get any momentum going on the narrative.  My parents lived in Minehead for a few years, and I've run all over Exmoor, so am reasonably familiar with it (although haven't really related where I know to anywhere much in the book).  Beautiful part of the world - must go back (love the nearby Quantocks too).

Just completed A Payment In Blood by Elizabeth George. I thought I had read all over her Inspector Lyndly series but while perusing Audible I found one. It was a good read. I also spontaneously decided to listen to A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Mainly because its fall and its about witches, vampires, daemons and history. I also plan to start Queen Sugar, by Natalie Baszile. 

Completed Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. A quick but intriguing read. 4/6.

I loved this book. It was so creatively written as the letters started disappearing. :D

I have half a dozen books currently currently reading :blush2: , but the only one of them that I can get into is Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex,and I'm loving it!!  :smile:

I must read Middlesex at some point soon!!

I've given up on Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes. I just found it very dull, which is a shame because I loved Into The Darkest Corner.

I'm now reading A Wrinkle In Time, which is a re-read. I don't remember any of it. :thud:

I'm also well behind on reviews again. :censored:

I loved this book. It was so creatively written as the letters started disappearing. :D

I'm now reading A Wrinkle In Time, which is a re-read. I don't remember any of it. :thud:

I hadn't heard of Ella Minnow Pea but everyone seems to have read and loved it and it sounds great so on the wishlist it goes!

FORTINBRAS! And Which What and Who? I think that was their names. That's all I remember. I don't think I ever actually finished it, but it started a few times as a kid.

I'm glad to hear you liked the Final Friends trilogy. Until the End contains the books The Party, The Dance and The Graduation (see here on Amazon UK for a picture, ISBN 9781442422520).I made good progress in my re-read of Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World, I'm now on page 333 out of 800. Long books take long to read lol :P.

Ah it sounds like until the endus the final friends trilogy under a different name!

Long books do take ages. Took me AGES to finish Lord of the rings. Struggling to continue with beautiful darkness at the moment. Although the film Beautiful Creatures was on tonight. I remember enjoying it the first time I watched it but now I've read the book it was boring!

I've finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and I've started When Hitler Stole the Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr.

I LOVED when hitler stole pink rabbit! Very poignant. I never finished the trilogy though. Must dig it out and read them again.

I bought a few books when I was in town on Thursday from Waterstones which I am looking forward to reading.

Cartes Postales from Greece - Victoria Hislop

Pharoah - Wilbur Smith

The Outrun - Amy Liptrot

Grief is the thing with feathers - Max Porter

Whilst hubby was in HMV looking at records/CD's I found a seat and started reading Grief is the thing with feathers.  I could have sat there until I had finished it I was so in tune with the words.   I did laugh out loud at one point, it was funny but also dark in places, hubby came back and we went home.  Sorry to say I have not finished it as yet hopefully that will be this week.

The one I did finish was The Pretender by James Patterson, at my phone I am reading the Lexy Baker cosy mysteries by Leighann Dobbs which are light for reading before I go to sleep.

Another busy weekend coming up so any reading I am going to do will have to be the next couple of nights.

I finished reading Lydia by Natasha Farrant, which was very enjoyable, and a nice addition to my Jane Austen reading.  I also finished listening to The Immortals by S. E. Lister, which I thought was a great story, but the narrator let it down.

Yesterday, I read Imprudence by Gail Carriger, which is the second in a steampunk series, using the daughter of the lead character from an earlier series.  I loved it.  Better than the first book, Prudence, but no news on whether there will be any more in the series yet.

Next up, I'm going to start Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, which is a re-read for the English Counties challenge. :)

Grief is the thing with feathers - Max Porter

Whilst hubby was in HMV looking at records/CDs I found a seat and started reading Grief is the thing with feathers.  I could have sat there until I had finished it I was so in tune with the words.   I did laugh out loud at one point, it was funny but also dark in places, hubby came back and we went home.  Sorry to say I have not finished it as yet hopefully that will be this week.

I nearly bought that last month and then Kay said she had it so I've borrowed hers.   No idea when I'll get round to it though.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.   :)

A diversion from Lorna Doone to read The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt - satisfying the NBA Award winner category in this year's Popsugar Challenge, now at 38/40. To be honest, a rather disappointing read, puffed up rather excessively as about the discovery of the book that kickstarted the Renaissance. An interesting enough read of sorts, but not what it said on the cover, and all felt rather inconsequential.

Perhaps more to the point personally, this was my sixtieth book of the year, only the fourth time I've topped this figure in a year, and the first time I've reached that figure before December (the previous earliest was last year, on December 5th). 

Edited by willoyd