Hi everybody

babypinkcandygirl

just thought id introduce myself properly :) from what ive read so far it seems like a lovely, friendly place :smile2:) im into all kinds of book really, most pop. fiction, thrillers, horrors, mysteries, romance, biogs, anything thats really funny, informative or classic (im in the middle of a literature degree at the moment so i get to read all kinds of things i havent heard of before and i just love getting recommendations from new people....hint hint!!) oh and i know it sounds strange but theres nothing i like more than curling up in bed with a good cookbook. nigella and tessa kiros are particularly comforting.

i really hope i get to chat with more of you soon xxx

Hello and :smile2: to the forum! Well, if it's recommendations you're looking for, you'll find plenty of those here! You may soon find your to-be-read pile getting out of control, but you'll be among good company - most of us are in that situation!

Hope you enjoy it here. :)

Hello, and welcome! I'm also getting my degree in literature. What kind of classes are you taking right now? I'm taking a class in English Romantic Lit and 19th century American Lit. It's a bit overwhelming, but I'm loving it. I'm sure you'll find plenty of recommendations to fill up your TBR pile!:smile2:

(im in the middle of a literature degree at the moment so i get to read all kinds of things i havent heard of before

i really hope i get to chat with more of you soon xxx

Welcome babypinkcandygirl

I too did a literature degree and love the fact I had to read novels/plays/poetry that I wouldn't normally - it really widened my reading horizons.

You're in the right place for plenty of chat.

have fun

Judy

thank you all so much! ive been on a coupla forums so far but this one is so friendly:D its pretty hard having friends and family who dont read...

hi echo, im due to start the romantics in feburary. im almost finished this years course (im doing open university) i have been doing creative writing and i loathed it...! im definitely a better reader than writer. but im really excited about next year cos ive just recieved my reading list:

pride and prejudice - jane austen

woman in white - wilkie collins

frankenstein - mary shelly

hard times - charles dickens

the color purple - alice walker

othello, king henry v, as you like it - shakespeare

father and sons (insert russian name here!)

i cant wait to get stuck in

thank you all so much! ive been on a coupla forums so far but this one is so friendly:D its pretty hard having friends and family who dont read...

hi echo, im due to start the romantics in feburary. im almost finished this years course (im doing open university) i have been doing creative writing and i loathed it...! im definitely a better reader than writer. but im really excited about next year cos ive just recieved my reading list:

That's a great reading list! I'll also be reading Frankenstein this semester, and I'm so jealous you get to read Pride and Prejudice! Let me know how you're doing with that list, and how you like those books!:smile2:

well i have to admit i found great expectations fairly hard going so i think ill give that one another whirl in a month or two.

pride and prejudice was spectacular; i read three othar jane austen novels just after pride and prejudice (northanger abbey, persuasion, and emma) and although i enjoyed them it really elevated P&P in my esteem...everything was just a little bit better in this novel:the dialogue, the pace, it wasn't claustrophobic like emma.and of course elizabeth bennett is wonderful...surprisingly modern and witty and by far the most spirited austen creation.

Hey there,

Good to see another North-East person on here! I would have loved to do a literature degree, on the subject of Jane Austen, have you tried reading 'Mansfield Park'. Although I don't like Austen much, this is a personal favourite simply because it's slightly different to her other novels and the lead character is a far cry from those in P&P etc.

Frankenstein is ace, I can imagine it will be very interesting to study indeed. The themes in it are even more pertinent today, considering where Science has taken us.

Enjoy the forum, I have so far!

(im doing open university) i have been doing creative writing and i loathed it...! im definitely a better reader than writer. but im really excited about next year cos ive just recieved my reading list:

I too did my lit degree through the OU - fantastic courses. Are you by any chance doing the Approaching Literature course?

hi sorry for late reply. im starting approaching literature next february and im pretty excited about it. i did creative writing this year and i really hated it so im looking forward to getting back to what i enjoy! the only thing im not especially happy with is the number of lit courses. i dont particularly want to do shakespeare because of the residential school so it looks like i might have to do another non-litereture course....

Hi babypinkcandygirl.

Welcome to the forum from an ex Washington resident, but now in Aberdeen. There are quite a few from Tyneside on the forum. I did an English Lit degree at The university of Northumbria, but didn't finish it due to life issues getting in the way. Some of the books on your list were on our reading lists too. I think you'll enjoy them.

Anyway, have a good time on the forum.

Pp

hi sorry for late reply. im starting approaching literature next february and im pretty excited about it. i did creative writing this year and i really hated it so im looking forward to getting back to what i enjoy! the only thing im not especially happy with is the number of lit courses. i dont particularly want to do shakespeare because of the residential school so it looks like i might have to do another non-litereture course....

Do they still do The Nineteenth Century Novel? I can recommend that one. I also did the Modern Literature one which was good in that it included a lot of novels from around the world.