Where is your favourite reading place?

Spooncat

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bed and in the car on journeys- that's where I mostly read. I'm too clumsy to read in the bath! :lol:

I'd love to be able to read in the car but I get car sick :). I read in the bath, in bed (although I dont like reading hardbacks in bed ... I usually fall asleep then get a rude a wakening by a hardback punch! :lol:) or my favourite place is on the sofa in the living room with a nice coffee and peace and quiet. No distractions - I'm easily distracted ;).

Bed and in the car on journeys- that's where I mostly read. I'm too clumsy to read in the bath! :lol:

I wish I could read when in a car or on a bus, but I have to look out the window all the time to stop myself being travel sick.

It always seems such a waste of good reading time. :lol:

I'm sure I've told the story before, but I once lit a book on fire while reading in bath. I leaned over to get my wine glass, and held out the arm holding the book for balance (not that I needed, more a reflex, really) without taking my eyes off the page. I accidentally held the book to the candle nearby, and it caught fire. I screamed, and BF rushes in, thinking I'm being murdered into my own bathtub or at least seen a spider. He finds me sitting in a bathtub full of water, frantically trying to wave the book fast enough to put the fire out, without realising that I'm SITTING IN A BATHTUB FULL OF WATER. He didn't stop laughing for a week.

:lol::lol: Haha! Oh dear! This story did make me laugh though.

:lol::lol: Haha! Oh dear! This story did make me laugh though.

*in a dry voice* I aim to entertain.

BF has launched a term "ii-thing", also used as "you-thing" when talking to me*, that basically means things like that. Or some other crazy things only I can do. I think the exact definition is "something totally out of place in any normal grown-up context and more likely to appear in either a Marx Brothers movie, or in the life of ii". I can give you more examples, if you wish. *laughs* The best thing about all the idiotic things I do is that I tell people about them. I love a good joke too much to care about being on the receiving end of it.

* he was telling this completely ridiculous story about his team mate and said "really, it was just such a you-thing to say!"

I'm sure I've told the story before, but I once lit a book on fire while reading in bath. I leaned over to get my wine glass, and held out the arm holding the book for balance (not that I needed, more a reflex, really) without taking my eyes off the page. I accidentally held the book to the candle nearby, and it caught fire. I screamed, and BF rushes in, thinking I'm being murdered into my own bathtub or at least seen a spider. He finds me sitting in a bathtub full of water, frantically trying to wave the book fast enough to put the fire out, without realising that I'm SITTING IN A BATHTUB FULL OF WATER. He didn't stop laughing for a week.

I laughed out loud.. literally.. when I read this. This is hilarious! I can so picture you flapping the book around and your BF being like "um.. you're in a tub of water..." :lol::lol:

Haha, ii, I can just imagine that.. well not literally, but you know what I mean. I also like reading on my sofa, I didn't mention that before, it's rather comfy. :lol:

anywhere which is relatively quiet and comfortable, in bed mostly, in the bath, outside under a tree by the river, i did used to read tess gerritsen books on the bus to college years ago they were the only books i could read with noise around me, i like near enough silence so i can submerge myself in the book :roll:

I miss reading in the bath the home has a shared bathroom and there is always one muppet who wants to use the bathroom. Reading in public (In my town at least) seems to attract the yobbo's to snatch the book and fool around like snotty nosed little hoodlums, throwing the book from one Chav to the other

I know how you feel i dont get to have a bath at all in my shared uni house, (have to have quick showers) only relax when i go home for holidays :roll:

:( indeed sadly chavs seem to have no respect for themselves let alone other people, when i see profiles online or just people in general in introduction conversation and the topic of reading/books comes up and they reply with a sarcastic comment of 'what are books?' or something along the lines of 'I'd rather die than read and be a geek, no way, i have a life etc', it angers/saddens me greatly!:(

You should read the thread I started about how us Bookies are treated by the ignorant classes.

I was always bullied as I was the quiet one in the corner reading a book, wether it was jealously or just that I was different I do not know but if I escaped to he school library they would gang up and pull the book from my hands crowd round and chant names at me. (Children can be so cruel)

So at school and at work I either read in the toilets or latterly in my car, even then the others would lean out of the windows of the canteen and through stuff at my car. Why is it people just will not leave the book readers alone, even if I read in a cafe the local yobbos always make a beeline for me. showing off trying to disturb me.

CJ.:roll:

You should read the thread I started about how us Bookies are treated by the ignorant classes.

I was always bullied as I was the quiet one in the corner reading a book, wether it was jealously or just that I was different I do not know but if I escaped to he school library they would gang up and pull the book from my hands crowd round and chant names at me. (Children can be so cruel)

So at school and at work I either read in the toilets or latterly in my car, even then the others would lean out of the windows of the canteen and through stuff at my car. Why is it people just will not leave the book readers alone, even if I read in a cafe the local yobbos always make a beeline for me. showing off trying to disturb me.

CJ.:roll:

Colin-

Are you saying that at age 40, you are still dealing with "bullies?" I know the first parts were in the past, but you said the "local yobbos always MAKE a beeline for" you when you're reading in a cafe. So this is happening NOW?

I usually read in my bedroom because it is quieter but I can read anywhere, on the bus, etc, I was on the bus once though and this man behind me started reading my book out loud whilst looking over my shoulder.

That was odd:blush: