frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16. In the Fifth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton

Blurb: Games, lessons, quarrels, rows and tricks all form part of a very lively term for Darrell and her friends, but the biggest event of all is the fifth form pantomime, written, acted and produced entirely by the girls. The pantomime generates a lot of fun, but also a surprising amount of trouble.

Thoughts: The fifth book of the Malory Towers series, and very good. I read the older, original version and so was a lot more entertained than I would have been if I'd read a new, butchered revised edition. I'm going to miss this series a lot! :(

4/5

Edited by frankie

#17. OMG! Is This Actually My Life? Hattie Moore's Unbelievable Year! by Rae Earl

Blurb: I am TOTALLY telling you that this year I am going to FIND MY REAL DAD. Can you EVEN BELIEVE I don't know who he ACTUALLY IS? I WON'T be stopped my my mum, my brother, my totally mental gran OR the evil dog that lives 3 doors away. AND ANOTHER THING – with the help of Dimple and Weirdo Jen, I will become a TOTAL Hotness Goddess AND defeat the dark forces of Mis Gorgeous Knickers and her gang. This is going to be the most OMG YEAR EVER!

Thoughts: I read this book because it's by Rae Earl who kept a diary of her fat mad teenage years and got it published back in 2007. As I'm still on hold for the sequel of the diary, I really wanted to read this fictional diary by her.

It was 'hand written' which I thought might annoy me but I ended up getting along with it just fine. It made it seem more authentic. Totes authentic, as Hattie might say :D

I don't know if this book really stands out in any way from all the other teenage novels, but I like it anyways. And it suited my reading mood perfectly, as I'm currently not up to any of those difficult novels.

Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone in particular, but if you like this sort of literature, go for it! I do wonder if there's a sequel in the making, as the thing I'd been waiting to happen in the novel never did take place, and I got the impression that that might be another story in itself.

4/5

Edited by frankie

#18. Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe

From the book jacket: Not long after her parents' separation, heralded by an awkward scene involving a wet Daily Telegraph and a pan of cold eggs, nine-year-old Lizzie Vogel, her sister and little brother and their now divorcée mother are packed off to a small, slightly hostile village in the English countryside. Their mother is all alone, only thirty-one years of age, with three young children and a Labrador. It is no wonder, when you put it like that, that she becomes a menace and a drunk. And a playwright.

Worried about the bad playwriting – though more about becoming wards of court and being sent to the infamous Crescent Homes for Children – Lizzie and her sister decide to contact, by letter, suitable men in the area. In order to stave off the local social worker they urgently need to find a new man at the helm.

Thoughts: Poppyshake's excellent review made me want to read this book and luckily there were copies at the library! :smile2:

The novel started out brilliantly and when I was on page 50 or so, I thought this will probably make for a 5/5 book, and will be on the top of the list of the best books I've read this year... I think I jinxed the whole rest of the novel with such optimism :blush:

I loved the writing. Partly because it was witty and partly because the story's told from the point-of-view of a nine-year-old girl and so it seemed somewhat precocious. Okay, 'somewhat' is an understatement. I have a quote for you:

”We decided we'd contact, by letter, the suitable men in the area and invite them to have a drink with her and hope that it would lead to sexual intercourse and possibly marriage. Obviously one at a time. My sister asked me to name the top three qualities I'd look for in a husband. It was difficult because I knew so little about men, only really that they loved fires and omelettes and needed constant snacks.

I began by saying I'd look for an enthusiastic television watcher. And was about to say I'd want someone 'down-to-earth' but could see that my sister wasn't listening. Like all people who ask for your favourite or top three things, she was merely waiting to tell me hers. When I'd noticed other people doing this, I'd always thought it might be better if the person asking just said, 'May I tell you the top three things I look for?' And that way you're not wasting time thinking up your top three things (just so they feel justified in saying theirs). The worst offender in this regard was Little Jack, usually over Roman emperors or pies.”

I read the first 60 pages in one go one night in bed, and somehow after that the novel changed for me. I don't know if my mood had changed, or if the book changed. The wittiness ceased and I felt like from there on out I was only told the rest of the story, but without any cleverness. And the story wasn't really that engaging... I had thought the book would be funnier, too.

The book wasn't quite what I expected it to be, truthfully. But it was still a good read.

3/5 (3.5 would be more accurate but I don't do halves)

Edited by frankie

Great review :). It sounds like a nice book, I think I would enjoy it. I might see if my library has a copy. Did you read it in English or in Finnish?

Thanks :) I read the book in English. I don't think they've translated it into Finnish and I don't know if they ever would... The Fat Mad Teenage diary hasn't been translated to Finnish, either. At least I don't think so. 

This year's been great for me, language-wise. I've managed to read every English novel in the original language, except for Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone (there were only Finnish copies at the library). Again, I have to applaud the awesome selection at the libraries :wub:

Edited by frankie

Thanks :) I read the book in English. I don't think they've translated it into Finnish and I don't know if they ever would... The Fat Mad Teenage diary hasn't been translated to Finnish, either. At least I don't think so. 

This year's been great for me, language-wise. I've managed to read every English novel in the original language, except for Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone (there were only Finnish copies at the library). Again, I have to applaud the awesome selection at the libraries :wub:

Ah thanks! I'll have to see if I can find an English copy :).

It's great you've been able to read so many English books in their original language. Great of your libraries :D!

#19. Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story by Andrea Bennett

From the book jacket: Perhaps you're not a member of the Azov House of Culture Elderly Club? Perhaps you missed the talk on Cabbage Root Fly last week?

Galina Petrovna hasn't missed one since she joined the Club, when she officially became old. Obliged to sip tea and be advised on healthy eating, Galina Petrovna would much rather be at home with her three-legged dog Boroda. Boroda isn't 'hers' exactly, they belong to each other really, and that's why Boroda doesn't wear a collar.

And that's how Mitya the Exterminator got her.

And that's why Vasily Semyonovich was arrested.

And Galina had to call on Zoya who then had to call on her cousin Grigory Mikhailovich.

And get to Moscow before it was too late...

Thoughts: When I was going through the new books acquired by the library, the title of this novel caught my eye and I had to read it :smile2: I'd read the blurb when I placed a reservation for the novel but I'd forgotten all about it when I started reading it so I went in without any idea what the book was going to be like.

We first meet Galina and the dog, Boroda. And then we meet Mitya the Exterminator. It's not hard to figure out how these three will be connected in the story... I liked the introduction to Mitya:

”'Straindzh lavv, straindzh khaize end straindzh lauoz, straindzh lavv, zat's khau mai lavv grouz . . .'
On the east side of town, in a square box of a room with orange walls and a shiny mustard lino floor, a youngish man intoned the words of his beloved Depeche Mode without a recognizable tune.”

:lol: Mitya is a hardcore Depeche Mode fan! He reminded me of different literary characters... Like Xavier the demolition man in Vaudeville! by Gaétan Soucy, and Thomas Babington 'Babe' Levy in Marathon Man by William Goldman. I guess because they were both solitary characters...

This is a pretty good debut novel, but perhaps not as funny or as memorable as I'd hoped. I loved reading about Russian people for a change, though. This is the author's note:

”In the 1990s, there was a three-legged dog called Boroda, who wore no collar and lived in Azov with an old Russian lady who worked hard on her dacha*.
However, everything else in this book, while inspired by my memories of the people and geography of Russia, is a work of fiction, and should be treated as such.”

I'm now intrigued by the real Boroda...

*Dacha means 'wooden country residence, ranging from a hut to a mansion'. There's a glossary of the Russian words used in the last pages of the novel, which I'm thankful for. I wish all the (numerous) authors who used French words in their novels wouldn't think everyone knows French and not include a French glossary.... :rolleyes: :giggle2:

4/5

Sounds pretty good … I think I'll keep it on the wish list, but probably won't get it just yet … I need to curb my spending on books for a little bit, and it's not jumping out as a must buy book for me at the moment.  

I know exactly what you mean about glossaries … I know some French, a little German, Italian and even a bit of Swedish, but I still struggle sometimes, and often it seems to have added nothing to the book or the writing and often just comes across as pretentious.  At least here, the Russian was integral to the story. :D

#17. OMG! Is This Actually My Life? Hattie Moore's Unbelievable Year! by Rae Earl

Blurb: I am TOTALLY telling you that this year I am going to FIND MY REAL DAD. Can you EVEN BELIEVE I don't know who he ACTUALLY IS? I WON'T be stopped my my mum, my brother, my totally mental gran OR the evil dog that lives 3 doors away. AND ANOTHER THING – with the help of Dimple and Weirdo Jen, I will become a TOTAL Hotness Goddess AND defeat the dark forces of Mis Gorgeous Knickers and her gang. This is going to be the most OMG YEAR EVER!

Thoughts: I read this book because it's by Rae Earl who kept a diary of her fat mad teenage years and got it published back in 2007. As I'm still on hold for the sequel of the diary, I really wanted to read this fictional diary by her.

It was 'hand written' which I thought might annoy me but I ended up getting along with it just fine. It made it seem more authentic. Totes authentic, as Hattie might say :D

I don't know if this book really stands out in any way from all the other teenage novels, but I like it anyways. And it suited my reading mood perfectly, as I'm currently not up to any of those difficult novels.

Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone in particular, but if you like this sort of literature, go for it! I do wonder if there's a sequel in the making, as the thing I'd been waiting to happen in the novel never did take place, and I got the impression that that might be another story in itself.

4/5

For some reason this blurb makes me think of Luke's daughter in Gilmore Girls :lol:

Sounds pretty good … I think I'll keep it on the wish list, but probably won't get it just yet … I need to curb my spending on books for a little bit, and it's not jumping out as a must buy book for me at the moment.  

I know exactly what you mean about glossaries … I know some French, a little German, Italian and even a bit of Swedish, but I still struggle sometimes, and often it seems to have added nothing to the book or the writing and often just comes across as pretentious.  At least here, the Russian was integral to the story. 

I did really like the book but I sort of wrote my review with you on my mind: I wanted to point out that it wasn't as good as I'd perhaps hoped so that I wouldn't make you buy it immediately :blush: I will take no blame! :D I think it's definitely safe to say that in my opinion, it wouldn't be a must buy for you. But it's a decent read :yes: 

Pretentious, a very apt description of throwing in foreign words in novels! Which is a bit weird because I don't really mind if it's German and I don't even understand the word. You can usually work the word out from the context. But when it's French, I want to throw the book out the window :blush::giggle2: I think it's because French is used so often and I think sometimes it's assumed that 'one should know at least this much French'. What it boils down to is that in high school I chose to read German and not French, and I guess I'm just annoyed by my own shortcomings when it comes to French :rolleyes::D 

For some reason this blurb makes me think of Luke's daughter in Gilmore Girls 

Whaaat? :lol: That's a really interesting connection you've made :D 

I did really like the book but I sort of wrote my review with you on my mind: I wanted to point out that it wasn't as good as I'd perhaps hoped so that I wouldn't make you buy it immediately :blush: I will take no blame! :D I think it's definitely safe to say that in my opinion, it wouldn't be a must buy for you. But it's a decent read :yes:

Job done then … keeping on wish list but not buying immediately. Everybody happy! :D

Pretentious, a very apt description of throwing in foreign words in novels! Which is a bit weird because I don't really mind if it's German and I don't even understand the word. You can usually work the word out from the context. But when it's French, I want to throw the book out the window :blush::giggle2: I think it's because French is used so often and I think sometimes it's assumed that 'one should know at least this much French'. What it boils down to is that in high school I chose to read German and not French, and I guess I'm just annoyed by my own shortcomings when it comes to French :rolleyes::D

I know what you mean … French was the main language taught when I was at school, but my school taught both German and French. I did German for the first year and because I did well, I was offered the change to do both languages for a couple more years, and then when we had to pick our options for our exam courses, I stuck with French as I found it easier. I can remember only a little German, but French has stuck with me a bit more, but there is definitely an assumption that everyone learnt French and should know what the author is talking about. Even worse though is when they through some Latin in … blimey, I don't know anyone who was taught Latin at school, but it was commonly taught in public (meaning private in the UK) schools so I always assume only "posh" people know latin and that when an author throws it in, it feels like a way of excluding the masses … but that's probably just my view and no-one else is bothered! :D

Job done then … keeping on wish list but not buying immediately. Everybody happy!

Yes, everyone happy! (As long as nobody tells Andrea Bennett  :hide:    :giggle2:)

I know what you mean … French was the main language taught when I was at school, but my school taught both German and French. I did German for the first year and because I did well, I was offered the change to do both languages for a couple more years, and then when we had to pick our options for our exam courses, I stuck with French as I found it easier. I can remember only a little German, but French has stuck with me a bit more, but there is definitely an assumption that everyone learnt French and should know what the author is talking about. Even worse though is when they through some Latin in … blimey, I don't know anyone who was taught Latin at school, but it was commonly taught in public (meaning private in the UK) schools so I always assume only "posh" people know latin and that when an author throws it in, it feels like a way of excluding the masses … but that's probably just my view and no-one else is bothered! 

Wow, you're one of the few I know who've studied both French and German! :cool: I'm sure it's safe to assume that part of the reason French has stuck with you more is that people throw it around in TV shows and novels etc. Menus! Freaking menus... I'm a nervous restaurant goer for other reasons to begin with, and then if you go into a posh one and they have French on the menu....  :censored:  :D 

I'm glad it's not just me who's noticed and thinks that everyone expects people to know at least a bit of French. I feel like I'm redeemed :giggle2: Although this is very petty of me because I'm a linguist and I should always be just happy at the chance to look up new words and meanings... :blush: 

And hey, thanks for adding in parenthesis that public schools mean private schools in the UK. Because that's been confusing me many, many years. Whenever I heard the term 'public school', my mind boggles. And just when I think I've figured out which one it is, then I heard it used in the other sense. (And to be frank, 'public' school sounds like a school for all public...) I hope I will remember this! Very useful info :D 

Latin... Over here we don't have private schools, just 'normal' schools. The oddest schools are the Steiner schools. But in smaller towns like the one I come from we were most definitely not taught Latin in school. When I moved to Joensuu, I heard that an acquaintance of mine who'd gone to a local high school had studied Latin and I was sooooo jealous. I didn't know one could do that in other places! 

Edit: I think if I was in your position and knew that Latin had been taught at a private school and we had those, I'd probably feel the same way about Latin as you :giggle2: But as I know only one person who's studied it, I think of it as a language nobody studied over here and so I'm of the opinion that when it comes to Latin, we Finns are all just as bad at it and it's more to do with general knowledge and therefore it's okay to have a little Latin :giggle2: 

Edited by frankie

I started this 30 Books thingy some years ago but I never finished it. Actually I think I started doing it on two different occasions ...  :hide:   As it's the Easter holidays and I have no plans for the weekend, and as it's the read-a-thon weekend, I thought another bookish activity might be fun. To take a little break from reading. Here's the thingy: 

Day 01 – Best book you read last year - A Full Man by Tom Wolfe (9.4.2015)
Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times - various (9.4.2015)
Day 03 – Your favourite series - Dexter (10.4.2015)
Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series - Dexter Is Delicious (10.4.2015)
Day 05 – A book that makes you happy - Missu löytää ratkaisun (10.4.2015)
Day 06 – A book that makes you sad
Day 07 – Most underrated book
Day 08 – Most overrated book
Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving
Day 10 – Favourite classic book
Day 11 – A book you hated
Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore
Day 13 – Your favourite writer
Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer
Day 15 – Favourite male character
Day 16 – Favourite female character
Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book
Day 18 – A book that disappointed you
Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie
Day 20 – Favourite romance book
Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood
Day 22 – Favourite book you own
Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 – Favourite title
Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

Third time's the charm, aye? 

Not going to get it all done over the holidays, though.  :hide:

Edited by frankie

Wow, you're one of the few I know who've studied both French and German! :cool: I'm sure it's safe to assume that part of the reason French has stuck with you more is that people throw it around in TV shows and novels etc. Menus! Freaking menus... I'm a nervous restaurant goer for other reasons to begin with, and then if you go into a posh one and they have French on the menu....  :censored:  :D 

I did enjoy languages at school, but I was blinded by maths which was my favourite subject. Since leaving school, I've done some evening classes, and most of them have been languages - two years of swedish, two years of italian and a year of french, so perhaps I should have stuck to them at school more! I definitely think I'll do another language class at some point in the future … I'd love to have another go at italian, and I haven't tackled spanish yet, so that's probably on the cards as well :D

And hey, thanks for adding in parenthesis that public schools mean private schools in the UK. Because that's been confusing me many, many years. Whenever I heard the term 'public school', my mind boggles. And just when I think I've figured out which one it is, then I heard it used in the other sense. (And to be frank, 'public' school sounds like a school for all public...) I hope I will remember this! Very useful info :D 

Latin... Over here we don't have private schools, just 'normal' schools. The oddest schools are the Steiner schools. But in smaller towns like the one I come from we were most definitely not taught Latin in school. When I moved to Joensuu, I heard that an acquaintance of mine who'd gone to a local high school had studied Latin and I was sooooo jealous. I didn't know one could do that in other places! 

Edit: I think if I was in your position and knew that Latin had been taught at a private school and we had those, I'd probably feel the same way about Latin as you :giggle2: But as I know only one person who's studied it, I think of it as a language nobody studied over here and so I'm of the opinion that when it comes to Latin, we Finns are all just as bad at it and it's more to do with general knowledge and therefore it's okay to have a little Latin :giggle2: 

Apparently the term public school was because they were originally set up for the public and for poor people. But over the years, the wealthy took them over introducing attendance fees and entrance criteria needing to be met, making them exclusive and so they are now private in that unless you can afford the fees and can meet their standards, you won't get in.  But the name has stuck and we still refer to them as public schools and seen for the most part as elitist.

Great reviews there!  :smile:  I am especially intrigued by this one -

#19. Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story by Andrea Bennett

That is one I'll track down  :smile:

I know what you mean … French was the main language taught when I was at school, but my school taught both German and French. I did German for the first year and because I did well, I was offered the change to do both languages for a couple more years, and then when we had to pick our options for our exam courses, I stuck with French as I found it easier. I can remember only a little German, but French has stuck with me a bit more, but there is definitely an assumption that everyone learnt French and should know what the author is talking about. Even worse though is when they through some Latin in … blimey, I don't know anyone who was taught Latin at school, but it was commonly taught in public (meaning private in the UK) schools so I always assume only "posh" people know latin and that when an author throws it in, it feels like a way of excluding the masses … but that's probably just my view and no-one else is bothered! :D

I was taught French and Latin for the first 3 years during secondary school, at a Girl's High School. So, I had taken (and passed) the 11 plus They both were compulsory, but I dropped Latin after the 3 years, as I had no interest in it. 

I agree with you, as Latin is mostly for "posh" people who were intending to go to "posh" fee-paying schools. They were students who were going to universities like Cambridge, Oxford etc etc. "The masses" (me included! ;) ) never use Latin in general.

But strangely, my career did use Latin a lot, as I was trained to be a Pharmacy Technician, and in the old days (in the mid 1980s), doctors still wrote medicine prescriptions in Latin!! It's only since recent that they usually prescribe via computer screens! As with medicine, most of medical terms are in Latin or Greek. :D  

P.S. (or Post Scriptum:giggle2: And you don't need to have any previous knowledge of Latin, you just need to learn the codes of the directions from a drug prescription e.g. t.d.s =. three times a day, or  q.d.s. p.c. = four times a day, after food.

Mind you, it is a great art to understand a doctor's' handwriting!  :D

Edited by Marie H

We don't have different types of public / private / open schools here, all schools are open to everyone, as far as I know. You can only do certain levels though if you are intelligent enough. For that we have tests in primary school as well as the advice of the teacher, to go on. So I guess the schools aren't based on money but they are based on intelligence. We have nowadays, VMBO (the most common, 4 years), HAVO (5 years), VWO (6 years). Secondary school starts when children are 12-13, after they finish primary school. So if a secondary school offers not all types, and you want a different type or don't have the advice to go to that type, then you are not allowed. For example, if someone is hmmm.. of average intelligence, then they cannot do the VWO. In rare cases, they can do the VMBO, then do a year or two HAVO, then some VWO. That does happen, but not that often. It occurs to me, we do have the 'Vrije School', which is a type of secondary school that is I think based on certain beliefs or philosophies. My dad went there. I don't know the details of that, though, but it isn't based on money for sure.

I've been taught Dutch, English, French, German, Latin and ancient Greek. Most people in the Netherlands though, just have Dutch and English, because they do the VMBO. People in the HAVO get to choose between French and German if I'm not mistaken, and at the VWO I did both. You have to choose things in the upper years, and I chose science over the languages, so the person who chooses the languages will know more German and French than I did. I chose to do 'het gymnasium' which means Latin, ancient Greek and classical education. You have to choose between the two languages in the upper years, I chose ancient Greek because I enjoyed that more. Nowadays I don't remember a whole lot of those languages that I don't see or hear much of anymore, though I do recognise words when I see them sometimes or when I hear the language spoken (I remember more than I think).

I've never understood the thing either why French would be somehow 'better' or 'more classy' than other languages :shrug:.

I did enjoy languages at school, but I was blinded by maths which was my favourite subject. Since leaving school, I've done some evening classes, and most of them have been languages - two years of swedish, two years of italian and a year of french, so perhaps I should have stuck to them at school more! I definitely think I'll do another language class at some point in the future … I'd love to have another go at italian, and I haven't tackled spanish yet, so that's probably on the cards as well :D

Blinded by maths :D I really liked maths, too, and at times I liked it more than English. It depended on which teacher I had :giggle2: I was never lucky in both: in junior high, I had a nice English teacher but loathed the maths teacher and we were always at odds with each other. In high school, then, I had a torturous, moody English teacher and I hated the classes, but loved my new maths teacher. He had a dry sense of humor which I loved and I had a bit of a crush on him, even though he was probably in his 50s and not even handsome. It was his wit that I admired... I wish I could take his classes again! 

I'm sorry if we've already discussed this before, but I can't remember. But how did you fancy starting Swedish? I don't know that many people outside the Nordic countries who would study Nordic languages... 

Apparently the term public school was because they were originally set up for the public and for poor people. But over the years, the wealthy took them over introducing attendance fees and entrance criteria needing to be met, making them exclusive and so they are now private in that unless you can afford the fees and can meet their standards, you won't get in.  But the name has stuck and we still refer to them as public schools and seen for the most part as elitist.

Ah, that makes sense. Should've known there was a rational explanation! Thanks for explaining it to me :) 

Great reviews there!   I am especially intrigued by this one -

That is one I'll track down 

I hope you shall like it if and when you get to it! :)

I agree with you, as Latin is mostly for "posh" people who were intending to go to "posh" fee-paying schools. They were students who were going to universities like Cambridge, Oxford etc etc. "The masses" (me included!) never use Latin in general.

Ah yes, the Oxbridge people! :drama: 

But strangely, my career did use Latin a lot, as I was trained to be a Pharmacy Technician, and in the old days (in the mid 1980s), doctors still wrote medicine prescriptions in Latin!! It's only since recent that they usually prescribe via computer screens! As with medicine, most of medical terms are in Latin or Greek. 

I had no idea that the meds prescriptions were written in Latin for so long! :o And that they used Latin to begin with... Fascinating! Very nifty that you had use of that dead language in the end! :cool: 

P.S. (or Post Scriptum)  And you don't need to have any previous knowledge of Latin, you just need to learn the codes of the directions from a drug prescription e.g. t.d.s =. three times a day, or  q.d.s. p.c. = four times a day, after food.

Mind you, it is a great art to understand a doctor's' handwriting!  

I wonder if you've had to take a certain class for it or if it's just a natural talent :D 

We don't have different types of public / private / open schools here, all schools are open to everyone, as far as I know. You can only do certain levels though if you are intelligent enough. For that we have tests in primary school as well as the advice of the teacher, to go on. So I guess the schools aren't based on money but they are based on intelligence. We have nowadays, VMBO (the most common, 4 years), HAVO (5 years), VWO (6 years). Secondary school starts when children are 12-13, after they finish primary school. So if a secondary school offers not all types, and you want a different type or don't have the advice to go to that type, then you are not allowed. For example, if someone is hmmm.. of average intelligence, then they cannot do the VWO. In rare cases, they can do the VMBO, then do a year or two HAVO, then some VWO. That does happen, but not that often. It occurs to me, we do have the 'Vrije School', which is a type of secondary school that is I think based on certain beliefs or philosophies. My dad went there. I don't know the details of that, though, but it isn't based on money for sure.

I've been taught Dutch, English, French, German, Latin and ancient Greek. Most people in the Netherlands though, just have Dutch and English, because they do the VMBO. People in the HAVO get to choose between French and German if I'm not mistaken, and at the VWO I did both. You have to choose things in the upper years, and I chose science over the languages, so the person who chooses the languages will know more German and French than I did. I chose to do 'het gymnasium' which means Latin, ancient Greek and classical education. You have to choose between the two languages in the upper years, I chose ancient Greek because I enjoyed that more. Nowadays I don't remember a whole lot of those languages that I don't see or hear much of anymore, though I do recognise words when I see them sometimes or when I hear the language spoken (I remember more than I think).

I've never understood the thing either why French would be somehow 'better' or 'more classy' than other languages :shrug:.

Schools based on money, gender, intelligence, ... what else will they come up with? Schools for left-handed people. With scissors for the left-handed! Imagine what fun the arts and crafts lessons will be when they finally have the right left tools! 

This is a very interesting discussion, I'm learning a lot about school systems in other countries :).

Blinded by maths :D I really liked maths, too, and at times I liked it more than English. It depended on which teacher I had :giggle2: I was never lucky in both: in junior high, I had a nice English teacher but loathed the maths teacher and we were always at odds with each other. In high school, then, I had a torturous, moody English teacher and I hated the classes, but loved my new maths teacher. He had a dry sense of humor which I loved and I had a bit of a crush on him, even though he was probably in his 50s and not even handsome. It was his wit that I admired... I wish I could take his classes again! 

I think the teacher always matters greatly, a course can be a whole lot less fun if the teacher is not nice / good, and it can be a lot more fun if the teacher is nice / good. Nice to hear about your teachers :).

Schools based on money, gender, intelligence, ... what else will they come up with? Schools for left-handed people. With scissors for the left-handed! Imagine what fun the arts and crafts lessons will be when they finally have the right left tools!

:giggle2:!

#20. The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane

Blurb: 'My name is Frida Young. I'm here to look after you.'

'Oh, I didn't realise!' cried Ruth, as if she'd invited someone to a social event and then forgotten all about it. She stepped away from the bulky shadow of Frida Young's leaning. And then, in a fluttering, puzzled, almost flirtatious voice, said, 'Do I need looking after?'

Thoughts: I picked this book up at the library because I thought the title sounded familiar, but it turned out I didn't know anything about the book when I read the blurb. It sounded really intriguing though and I had to borrow it. I got to reading it quite soon after borrowing, too, which is ... if not unprecedented, very rare at least :giggle2:

This was a very dream-like book for me and I don't think it's just because I mostly read it in the night-time. I think McFarlane captures the confusions of the elderly Ruth very well and at times I felt like my mind was starting to drift on its own... Sometimes to the degree where I had to read back a few lines and catch up where I was. 

Plot-wise, it's a rather predictable book but I didn't mind that one bit. It was in the wanting to know how things happen, and in the style, that I got my reader's reward. 

4/5 (The third book in a row that I would like to give 3.5/5 but there you go)

I think I was pretty lucky in my teachers, I never had one I really disliked, but if they were teaching me maths, they were my hero! We had a different teacher for each subject every year except fourth and fifth year as that was the exam courses so we kept the same teacher to cover the whole syllabus. I was a shy, quiet, studious girl, who just got on with whatever I was being taught, and I genuinely think in a couple of classes, some of the teachers still didn't know my name by the end of the year, as I never stood out as special and never caused any trouble … my drama teacher definitely didn't know who I was, as he looked blankly at me every time I saw him out of class. But maths teachers were great, and I especially loved my fourth/fifth year maths teacher … he was fantastic. At the end of the sixth form he threw a party for us all at his home, and I remember he had a bookshelf full of orange Penguin classics.

I'm sorry if we've already discussed this before, but I can't remember. But how did you fancy starting Swedish? I don't know that many people outside the Nordic countries who would study Nordic languages...

I can't remember if we've discussed it either! It was not long after I started work (so many, many years ago now :lol:), and the insurance company I worked for were planning to move into the market in Sweden, and although they knew that the majority of the population can speak English, they wanted a couple of people on hand who could at least hold a basic conversation with someone in Swedish if they had to, so they paid for two of us to attend an evening class for a year, and I decided to carry on for a second year after that. I'd always wanted to learn a Nordic language, but there wasn't that option at school, and it was the first time I tried an evening class, so I found out there were more options available for learning outside of the school system.

I think I was pretty lucky in my teachers, I never had one I really disliked, but if they were teaching me maths, they were my hero! We had a different teacher for each subject every year except fourth and fifth year as that was the exam courses so we kept the same teacher to cover the whole syllabus. I was a shy, quiet, studious girl, who just got on with whatever I was being taught, and I genuinely think in a couple of classes, some of the teachers still didn't know my name by the end of the year, as I never stood out as special and never caused any trouble … my drama teacher definitely didn't know who I was, as he looked blankly at me every time I saw him out of class. But maths teachers were great, and I especially loved my fourth/fifth year maths teacher … he was fantastic. At the end of the sixth form he threw a party for us all at his home, and I remember he had a bookshelf full of orange Penguin classics.

Wow, you were definitely lucky with your teachers, not coming across one that you didn't dislike! :D  But I guess it also helped that you were one who did her homework and didn't cause any problems, so the teachers wouldn't have had any reason to make your school years miserable :D 

I can't even fathom how great it would've been to be able to go to a teacher's house, a teacher you've really liked and admired, and then to see they have loads of books... I bet you admired him all the more for that! 

I can't remember if we've discussed it either! It was not long after I started work (so many, many years ago now :lol:), and the insurance company I worked for were planning to move into the market in Sweden, and although they knew that the majority of the population can speak English, they wanted a couple of people on hand who could at least hold a basic conversation with someone in Swedish if they had to, so they paid for two of us to attend an evening class for a year, and I decided to carry on for a second year after that. I'd always wanted to learn a Nordic language, but there wasn't that option at school, and it was the first time I tried an evening class, so I found out there were more options available for learning outside of the school system.

What a great opportunity, and to be paid to learn a new language! Especially when you'd always wanted to learn a Nordic language! :D It's like they paid you to go get yourself a hobby you'd always wanted :D