Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I had a few moles removed today and so I thought I'd treat myself to a charity shop tour, but to my surprise I didn't find any books that I wanted :shrug: Then I went to the library to collect a book that had arrived for me, and when I was checking out the book swap bookcase, I noticed a copy of The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit! :smile2: Had to snatch it right away, of course. I can't remember if I've talked about the book with anyone, but I do remember that it's on a few of the children's books challenge lists that I've been following not-that-religiously. Has anyone read it and liked it? Oh, now I remember poppyshake visited the place that was one of the scenes in the movie... Some railway station. I had no idea what the book is about but I've now read the blurb and like the sound of it :smile2: 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

#21. Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis

Blurb: The headless corpses of three men are found in a London side street. Their mutilated torsos are witness to the unspeakable agony of a hard death. It becomes chillingly clear that this discovery is a horrific message to the Metropolitan Police, and to one officer in particular. 

DI Stacey Collins finds herself on the hunt for a psychopathic killer. But it would seem that this is no ordinary homicide... All the victims had themselves been predators, terrorizing the innocent. Is this a twisted vigilante mission, or something far more sinister? 

Meanwhile, Collins must also battle her own demons, as the Met's Internal Affairs department investigates her past and her connections to London's underworld. 

Collins faces her toughest challenge yet - torn between justice and revenge... 

Thoughts: I picked this novel up randomly from the library shelf for the read-a-thon weekend. It feels it's been a long time since I've read a thriller and I felt it was time to catch up. I got sucked into the novel pretty much from the get-go and found the book to be a thoroughly gripping read. The book is actually the second novel in a Stacey Collins series but as I couldn't find the first novel, I thought I might as well read this one as a stand alone novel and it worked just fine as such. 

Not by any means the most intelligent, the most amazing thriller I've ever read, but a very enjoyable read nonetheless. I have to warn you, though, that there is some really cruel dog harming in the novel and if you're sensitive to that, you might want to avoid reading the book. I personally skimmed the pages in question, but luckily those didn't have anything to do with the actual plot and so I didn't miss anything vital in choosing not to subject myself to reading about the poor dogs. 

4/5

When I was reading the back cover of the book, I found some interesting information about the author: "Kevin Lewis grew up on the tough streets of South London. His bestselling memoirs, The Kid and The Kid Moves On, chronicle his life at the hands of his violent parents and a system that neglected him. This heartbreaking and inspiring story of Kevin's survival to make a better life for himself is currently being made into a major motion picture."

I've already reserved a copy of The Kid from the library :)

I also found out that Lewis has written a novel called Frankie, a book that I've actually seen before and read the blurb of :D

Edited by frankie

Oh .. I'm sad that you didn't enjoy Man at the Helm as much as I'd hoped :( Never mind .. it wasn't disastrous :D

I do know what you mean about the humour lessening .. though I didn't mind it so much. It did take more of a serious turn but that sort of reflected the pickle they were in. Often the books start more light heartedly. I found that a bit with Campari for Breakfast which I've just read .. a lot of the humour comes at the start and then it gets more serious. I think this was also the case with Where'd You Go Bernadette? and A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian. Hmm .. this is a common theme and one I seem to like. I wonder if I could actually ask for this sort of book? .. 'have you got any books which start off funny and then get all sort of depressing like?' :D  

Great review anyway. I like your 30 books list :) I remember doing it the last time .. but with more books to choose from the answers might be a bit different now. I'd like to add some more questions .. as I believe you did last time.

31. Book that has the best food in it? 

32. Stupidest title?

33. The book you threw the furthest?

34. The book that you could actually give a clear and detailed account of if anyone asked you?

35. The book you'd most like to see adapted for TV/film .. with Colin Firth starring? 

Hope you enjoy The Railway Children :) Confession time, I haven't read it :blush2: I have seen the film though a squillion times and love it so I can't imagine the book is anything but fantastic .. after all it wasn't adapted by Disney  :D  ;) 

Happy Reading lovely x

A friend of mine just posted an online news article, it's in the Finnish library magazine. It was about which city or town in the whole world is the 'best' when it comes to libraries. It wasn't all too formal, as they only sent out invitations to enter the contest to Finnish cities and towns. They did so based on the fact that libraries are most used in Finland out of all the different countries, but who knows, maybe some town in a foreign country would 'outlibrary' the Finnish ones... 

Getting to the point, though: all the cities and towns that entered the competition were then investigated: based on the national library statistics of 2014, Nurmes (my home home town!) is the best library town :wub: :wub:

Here's the article in English

Nurmes named best library city in the world!

– 08.04.2015

The world’s best library city, based on the use of its public library, is Nurmes, which in 2014 had 25.4 loans and 15 library visits per inhabitant.

1192_300xb.jpgMr. Jukka Relander, president of the Finnish Library Association shows the lending-figures in (from left) England, Sweden and Finland.Kuva: Ira Koivu

Last year, the Finnish Library Association launched a competition for the best library municipality in the world. Libraries are used in Finland more than in any other country in the world – so, based on this criterion, it was determined that the world’s best library municipality must also be located in Finland.

The Library Association challenged all Finnish municipalities and libraries to enter the competition. The results, based on the national library statistics for 2014, are now available. The municipalities were ranked based on the number of loans and public library visits per inhabitant in 2014. In other words, loans per inhabitant + visits per inhabitant = the winner! Nurmes triumphed with a score of 40.35.

President of the Library Association Jukka Relander: ‘Amid the dark economic scenarios, we should remember that library tourists continue to visit our country wondering what the world’s most used libraries are really like. According to our results in Pisa (OECD Programme for International Student Assessment), we are among the best in the world – according to our library visits and loans, we are the absolute number one. The whole library world is looking at Nurmes!’

The Finnish Library Act will be renewed from 2015 to 2019. As the parliamentary elections approach, associations in the library field have established a Library Party (http://kirjastopuolue.fi) on social media. The campaign highlights values important for libraries and promotes policies that enable the world’s best libraries to remain the best and to ensure active use of libraries.

The Finnish Library Association emphasizes the importance of free library services, the significance of library services in sparsely populated areas, the central role of libraries in preventing social exclusion and ensuring free access to information. Libraries strengthen civic engagement and democracy, and they are actively involved in developing the information society and promoting the openness of science and research. A comprehensive library network creates appealing living, studying and working environments. Libraries enhance communality and prevent social exclusion.

Edited by frankie

I haven't read The Railway Children (it's on my TBR pile) but I've seen the movie a couple of times and it was quite enjoyable.

Yay Nurmes! I wonder how much one particular person bumped up the statistics. ;) (You borrow books when you go back for a visit, don't you?) It would be interesting to know how book sales compare to library loans, and whether there are fewer book shops/book purchases in Finland because people borrow more often.

I haven't read The Railway Children (it's on my TBR pile) but I've seen the movie a couple of times and it was quite enjoyable.

I wonder how old the movie is. I wonder if it's been on TV over here.

Yay Nurmes! I wonder how much one particular person bumped up the statistics. ;) (You borrow books when you go back for a visit, don't you?) It would be interesting to know how book sales compare to library loans, and whether there are fewer book shops/book purchases in Finland because people borrow more often.

I do borrow books when I go and visit Nurmes :yes::blush: Especially if I'm staying for some particular holiday and will therefore be staying for longer.

You make an interesting point: whether we buy fewer books because we borrow so many. I really don't know how those two things correlate. But as the prices of books are on the same level over here as they are over there, I'm betting we aren't the nation that buys the most books per inhabitant, percentage-wise. Books are hella expensive :(

I had a few moles removed today and so I thought I'd treat myself to a charity shop tour, but to my surprise I didn't find any books that I wanted :shrug: Then I went to the library to collect a book that had arrived for me, and when I was checking out the book swap bookcase, I noticed a copy of The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit! :smile2: Had to snatch it right away, of course. I can't remember if I've talked about the book with anyone, but I do remember that it's on a few of the children's books challenge lists that I've been following not-that-religiously. Has anyone read it and liked it? Oh, now I remember poppyshake visited the place that was one of the scenes in the movie... Some railway station. I had no idea what the book is about but I've now read the blurb and like the sound of it :smile2:

It sounds familiar.. I'm sure it was discussed somewhere (or did I just read about it somewhere?) but I don't remember exactly which thread. I hope you enjoy it :)!

Getting to the point, though: all the cities and towns that entered the competition were then investigated: based on the national library statistics of 2014, Nurmes (my home home town!) is the best library town :wub: :wub:

Awesome news :smile2:!

I wonder how old the movie is. I wonder if it's been on TV over here.

I think it dates back to the 70s. I'll have to check now...yep, 1970. :)

I do borrow books when I go and visit Nurmes :yes::blush: Especially if I'm staying for some particular holiday and will therefore be staying for longer.

You make an interesting point: whether we buy fewer books because we borrow so many. I really don't know how those two things correlate. But as the prices of books are on the same level over here as they are over there, I'm betting we aren't the nation that buys the most books per inhabitant, percentage-wise. Books are hella expensive :(

Hopefully someone will do a study of the ratio of book purchases to library loans one day. But like you said, books are expensive to buy :( , so I'd bet that people borrow more than they buy.

It sounds familiar.. I'm sure it was discussed somewhere (or did I just read about it somewhere?) but I don't remember exactly which thread. I hope you enjoy it :)!

I know what you mean. It's like I remember reading about it in rather a few different threads but then again, not very recently... But it feels like it was recently. I should see which book challenge lists the book is on and that might give me a clue.

Awesome news :smile2:!

I'm dead proud of my home town :wub:

I think it dates back to the 70s. I'll have to check now...yep, 1970. :)

Wow, you got it exactly right :D (Never mind that you were talking about a whole decade... :giggle2: )

Hopefully someone will do a study of the ratio of book purchases to library loans one day. But like you said, books are expensive to buy :( , so I'd bet that people borrow more than they buy.

Someone should write someone and suggest someone do something like that! :D 

Poppyshake: I felt bad about writing the review of Man at the Helm because I knew you would be sad for me, but I thought that it's just one of those things and we can't always see eye to eye on each and every single book. I did like it but just not as much. No, it wasn't a disaster =D

Re: the humour lessening... I'm glad you also noticed it because I did wonder if it was all just in my head. I appreciated the pickles and such, but I'm the kind of person who expects the humour to be there throughout the book if it's there to begin with. I don't like it when the humour's first promised and delivered and then snatched away =D I personally think that pickles can do with just as much as humour as non-pickles.... :blush: I'm harder to please in that respect! 

Now that you've thrown in a few examples, I agree and do see the pattern. I'll have to watch out for those kinds of titles, but for the opposite reason =D 

Hmm .. this is a common theme and one I seem to like. I wonder if I could actually ask for this sort of book? .. 'have you got any books which start off funny and then get all sort of depressing like?'  

:lol: I want to be there when you do that! I'm sure you'll end up in the next book in the Weird Things Customers Ask -series :D You'll be referred to as the person who also wants books with toast quotes. =P

Great review anyway. I like your 30 books list. I remember doing it the last time .. but with more books to choose from the answers might be a bit different now. I'd like to add some more questions .. as I believe you did last time.

31. Book that has the best food in it? 
32. Stupidest title?
33. The book you threw the furthest?
34. The book that you could actually give a clear and detailed account of if anyone asked you?
35. The book you'd most like to see adapted for TV/film .. with Colin Firth starring? 

I can't believe I already forgot about the 30 books list :blush: I honestly forgot I'd posted it and was meant to do the whole thing again :blush:

Nice additional questions = :D Best food.... Would have to be a Finnish book because of Karelian pies, mind you! Stupidest title... Frankie by Kevin Lewis? :D

Have I ever really thrown a book. Have you? I've done it in my head a number of times but to actually throw a book. I may have slammed one next to me on the couch but across a room... 

Detailed account of a book... It would have to be one that one's read and re-read many, many times :blush: A childhood favorite, perhaps. Anastasia Krupnik series comes to mind! 

Colin Firth? Well, maybe all the books that had nudity in them :giggle2:

Hope you enjoy The Railway Children. Confession time, I haven't read it.  I have seen the film though a squillion times and love it so I can't imagine the book is anything but fantastic .. after all it wasn't adapted by Disney
Happy Reading lovely x

Ah, I didn't know you've not read it yet :D Haha! I have a feeling it will be good. 

The Railway Children is one of my favourite children's books ever!  :)  :wub:

The film version just is lovely. I have it on DVD and I watch it a lot.  It makes me cry every single time!  There was a TV adaptation (I have that on DVD too!) in 2000 written by Simon Nye in which Jenny Agutter who played Bobbie in the 1970 version played 'mother' in the remake!  It's also very good, and truer to the book, although if I had to choose just one I'd pick the original.  :)

Emoticons culled.

Wow, you got it exactly right :D (Never mind that you were talking about a whole decade... :giggle2: )

:P I was oh so close to being wrong, wasn't I?  :giggle:

Someone should write someone and suggest someone do something like that!

Hop to it, then. :P

I can't believe I already forgot about the 30 books list :blush: I honestly forgot I'd posted it and was meant to do the whole thing again

Have I ever really thrown a book. Have you? I've done it in my head a number of times but to actually throw a book. I may have slammed one next to me on the couch but across a room... 

Colin Firth? Well, maybe all the books that had nudity in them :giggle2:

You usually have a much better memory! Fancy forgetting already.  :giggle2: 

I've heard of people throwing books across the room before, but I can't imagine doing it. It seems a rather extreme/excessive reaction to have to a book. I mean, I've really, really disliked certain books, but it's never caused a physical reaction. Even if I hate a book, I wouldn't like to risk physically damaging it. I'd rather pass it on intact to someone else.

A book group I follow on FB posted a link to an article today about the best actors who have placed Mr Darcy and asked who was people's favourite. I immediately thought 'There's only one Mr Darcy!' but lots of people had beaten me to it and posted the same thing. :)

The Railway Children is one of my favourite children's books ever!  :wub:

^ I was going to jump in and say I thought perhaps Janet had spoken about it before...but she beat me to it! Was it one of the books chosen for the English Counties Challenge? I can't remember where it's set, but it certainly seems like it would be an appropriate candidate.

^ I was going to jump in and say I thought perhaps Janet had spoken about it before...but she beat me to it! Was it one of the books chosen for the English Counties Challenge? I can't remember where it's set, but it certainly seems like it would be an appropriate candidate.

It's set mostly in West Yorkshire (it starts off in London) and, if I've got my Yorkshires right, I think we chose Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë for that particular county.  There are a few children's books for that challenge so we probably decided we had enough.  I don't remember whether we discussed it or not, actually, although it would most definitely be appropriate - it gives a real feel of Yorkshire.  :)

The Railway Children is one of my favourite children's books ever!  

Now that's a glowing recommendation! :D

The film version just is lovely. I have it on DVD and I watch it a lot.  It makes me cry every single time!  There was a TV adaptation (I have that on DVD too!) in 2000 written by Simon Nye in which Jenny Agutter who played Bobbie in the 1970 version played 'mother' in the remake!  It's also very good, and truer to the book, although if I had to choose just one I'd pick the original. 

I'll definitely have to keep my eyes open for the movies! Maybe even try and see both of them. After reading the book, of course :drama :D

I was oh so close to being wrong, wasn't I?  

:D I never thought such thing! You were spot on, missy! 

Hop to it, then. 

But you'd word it so much better! :giggle2: 

You usually have a much better memory! Fancy forgetting already.  

Well, it was a sucky weekend :blush:

I've heard of people throwing books across the room before, but I can't imagine doing it. It seems a rather extreme/excessive reaction to have to a book. I mean, I've really, really disliked certain books, but it's never caused a physical reaction. Even if I hate a book, I wouldn't like to risk physically damaging it. I'd rather pass it on intact to someone else.

Maybe one ought to go and read such books in a padded room... :giggle2: I wonder if there are padded versions of hateable books =D

A book group I follow on FB posted a link to an article today about the best actors who have placed Mr Darcy and asked who was people's favourite. I immediately thought 'There's only one Mr Darcy!' but lots of people had beaten me to it and posted the same thing. 

I couldn't take anyone who thought Colin Firth isn't the best seriously :blush:  

It's set mostly in West Yorkshire (it starts off in London) and, if I've got my Yorkshires right, I think we chose Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë for that particular county.  There are a few children's books for that challenge so we probably decided we had enough.  I don't remember whether we discussed it or not, actually, although it would most definitely be appropriate - it gives a real feel of Yorkshire.  

I did a search on the English Counties challenge thread and it didn't come up with any hits. :shrug: I also checked my previous reading logs to see on which challenge lists I have the book, and quite oddly I only found one list, and it's from a particular book I've read, not a general challenge. It was from The Secret of Happy Ever After by Lucy Dillon. (It's about a bookshop and loads of books are mentioned and I put together a list of the books I wanted to read after reading the book. Or perhaps there was a list of books at the end of the novel, provided by the author herself.)

I then did a general search on the forum for the book and found that it's on the 100 Books Every Child Should Read - list, which the Daily Telegraph made and which Jänet posted about on here. Now, what's odd is that I'm more than 100% sure I have that list on an earlier reading log but why it didn't come up when I searched through my lists, I have no idea :o

Edit: That's odd. I tried again and this time I was able to find the challenge list in my reading log. Weird! 

Edited by frankie

I'm not surprised Finns make most use of their libraries … from what you tell us, your libraries and the library system are wonderful!  Over here, we just seem to be watching the dying throes of our libraries due to ever reduced funding, but it's lovely to hear they flourish elsewhere in the world. Congratulations Nurmes!  :party:

I'm not surprised Finns make most use of their libraries … from what you tell us, your libraries and the library system are wonderful!  Over here, we just seem to be watching the dying throes of our libraries due to ever reduced funding, but it's lovely to hear they flourish elsewhere in the world. Congratulations Nurmes!  :party:

I do tend to ramble about the Finnish libraries, don't I? I'm the product of the Finnish libraries, but I'm still sometimes surprised by all the things that can be done in and by the libraries. Just yesterday I made a reservation for 5 movies I've been really wanting to see, and I was really surprised that they had copies of those. 

(If you go and look at the article, in the picture with the man and the book stacks, you can see how the UK, Sweden and Finland compare in the number of books borrowed by a person from those different countries. Sweden's not that far away from Finland and the UK is still borrowing books and is not willing to give up the race!)

The news actually made its way to the national YLE news, and this morning I got my Ylä-Karjala newspaper which is a newspaper for Nurmes and Valtimo and which my Mom ordered for me for two months. Of course the news was on the first page :smile2: What a brilliant timing for Mom to order the paper for me, she got a 2 month deal on Valentine's Day and so I only have a few issues coming my way and I was lucky that I got a copy with this bit of news! :) 

Okay, let's do this!

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Haha! I was afraid when I started this that my first few answers would be the same old thing, the same answers I gave the last two times I tried to do this, but luckily this question is about last year's novels! And quite an easy one to start with, for that. 

Due to my computer being broke for some time at the end of last year, I managed to read 100 books throughout the entire year, and when I try to remember which ones I read and which ones I liked the most, it's pretty difficult... It's all hazy! Going by my memory alone... I'm giving myself a few minutes to think. 

I can remember The Rosie Project, A Full Man, and here it stops. I remember all the Niina Hakalahti novels (a Finnish author) I really enjoyed but TRP and AFM beat those... I'm going to have to do a little search on my last year's reading log. 

Oh yes. I also loved Vaudeville! by Gaétan Soucy even though I gave it 'only' 4/5. It's a novel that's really stuck in my mind and I'm so, so happy that I didn't give away my copy. I also loved This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper, The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin, The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen, A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman and Opettajainhuone by Annika Luther. Rather amazingly and surprisingly there are two Finnish novels in that list... I really had a great reading year and one of the great things about it was that I read quite a few Finnish novels, which is a bit unusual for me. 

The novels I've mentioned are all so different from one another that it's difficult to choose! I might have gone with The Rosie Project if I'd started doing this 30 Days thing a bit earlier, but now I feel that it's too close to my memory (just having re-read the book and read the sequel), and so it feels like I'm not giving the other books a fair chance. 

I think I will choose A Full Man by Tom Wolfe. I'd bought the book at a library sale or something, and it's a big hardback and I almost gave the copy away a few times because I didn't feel like reading it... The last time I almost gave it away, I read a few snippets from here and there and realized the book was not as boring as I had feared it might be. Then I started reading it some time after that and was immediately hooked. It's a tome, but I couldn't get enough of it :)

0_-7281818052180208891.jpg?itok=u-E5hmHF

Edited by frankie

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Bloody hell! I read that as in 'a book you've read at least 3 times' :rolleyes: And of course I've now made a list of books I've read at least three times, and can't remember which of them I've read more than three times :rolleyes::D

I will write out the list in here just as well :drama:

Different books series (children/YA):
- Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend
- Tiina books by Anni Polva (Finnish author)
- Sam books by Anu Jaantila (Finnish author)
- Lotta books by Merri Vik (Swedish author)
- Mimmi books by Viveca Sundvall (Swedish author)
- Anastasia Krupnik books by Lois Lowry
- some of the Five Found-Outers by Enid Blyton
- The Little Vampire books by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg (German author)
- Emily series by L. M. Montgomery
- Kalle Blomkvist books by Astrid Lindgren

Individual books
- Rakkautta ja kaalintaimia by Anni Polva
- Enkelinkuvia hiekassa by Tuija Lehtinen (Finnish author)
- the first two books in the Bridget Jones series by Helen Fielding
- Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
- The Millstone by Margaret Drabble (for uni...)
- Kettusen kootut by Markus Kajo (Finnish author)
- Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

- Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren

These are interesting 'questions' and answers (by you) :). How great of you to make such a list of books you've read and re-read often! I wouldn't remember either if I've read a book 3 or 4 or 5 times etc., I remember most of the books I've read 3 or more times, but how many times exactly I wouldn't know (mainly childhood favourites). I look forward to read your answers to the other 'questions', it's a great idea! I might've missed it earlier in the thread, but where did you get these, did you make them up or did you find the list online (sorry if it is in the thread in an earlier post :blush2:)?

I do tend to ramble about the Finnish libraries, don't I? I'm the product of the Finnish libraries, but I'm still sometimes surprised by all the things that can be done in and by the libraries. Just yesterday I made a reservation for 5 movies I've been really wanting to see, and I was really surprised that they had copies of those.

I love the rambling about Finnish libraries … don't you dare stop!   :lol:

These are interesting 'questions' and answers (by you) :). How great of you to make such a list of books you've read and re-read often! I wouldn't remember either if I've read a book 3 or 4 or 5 times etc., I remember most of the books I've read 3 or more times, but how many times exactly I wouldn't know (mainly childhood favourites). I look forward to read your answers to the other 'questions', it's a great idea! I might've missed it earlier in the thread, but where did you get these, did you make them up or did you find the list online (sorry if it is in the thread in an earlier post :blush2:)?

I found the list of questions somewhere on the internet a few years ago, but I couldn't possibly remember where. I think I posted about the origin of the list when I first 'introduced' the questions on my reading log but I have no idea where that particular post is. Too many logs with too many pages to go through to look for it :D 

I love the rambling about Finnish libraries … don't you dare stop!   :lol:

I don't think I could even if I wanted to and even if y'all begged me to :D 

I found the list of questions somewhere on the internet a few years ago, but I couldn't possibly remember where. I think I posted about the origin of the list when I first 'introduced' the questions on my reading log but I have no idea where that particular post is. Too many logs with too many pages to go through to look for it :D

Ah don't worry, no need to look for it :D.