Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I should stop going to the library, I borrowed six books yesterday even though I already have loads of books borrowed and have a TBR pile busting out of the bookcase...

A funny thing though: I'd borrowed Augusten Burroughs's This Is How ages ago from the library but never got a chance to read it before I had to take it back to the library. Yesterday when I went to the library to read The Rosie Effect, I thought I'd go and see if the TIH copy was there so I could borrow it again. It was! So I got five other books, too. When I was walking home and carrying the books, I noticed that someone had left a magnetic bookmark on one of the books! And I thought 'poor person, having lost her/his bookmark'. And how did they not notice it at the library and remove it... I opened the book to look at the bookmark and thought, what coincidence, I have the same kind of bookmark at home! Then I had to check which book it was. Yep, This Is How. It was my bookmark :D

Well, I'm happy that at least my bookmark's been able to spend the night at a library, all tucked in among all them books, since I'm not allowed to do it... :P

They must have known the bookmark was yours and knew you would come back to finish it :lol:

I have the same library problem. They have so many books. HOW CAN I RESIST?  :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was quite a workout ... carrying six books :D As a book addict it's part of your job description to acquire more books than you can possibly read .. so no need for guilt or anything. You are also a great asset to your local library. They should build a statue of you to put outside .. they probably will one day  :yes:

Book carrying is an excellent form of exercise :D  

We all have to keep our librarians busy and stimulated.....

That is true!! No patrons, no borrowing, no money for authors and no need for librarians and libraries. What a terrible thought!! :o 

Your bookmark knows all the secrets of a library at night. Glad you found it.

I wish it wouldn't keep quiet about it though. I want to know all about it!! I think a Spanish inquisition is in order :D Although this weekend it's the read-a-thon, so ... next weekend, inquisithon?!

That was quite a workout ... carrying six books. As a book addict it's part of your job description to acquire more books than you can possibly read .. so no need for guilt or anything. You are also a great asset to your local library. They should build a statue of you to put outside .. they probably will one day 

Six books is nothing. I don't mean to brag but I've done better (worse) :D Happily it's only a few blocks. Don't even need a bag! Hehehe.

A statue, of me? Better get in shape then! Don't want to be a Michelin Man sort of statue. Must work out, therefore must go to the library and pick up more books to get some muscles :D

They must have known the bookmark was yours and knew you would come back to finish it

:D That made me laugh out loud!

I have the same library problem. They have so many books. HOW CAN I RESIST?

There's this saying... Resistance is futile. I think it applies here! :D

Book carrying is an excellent form of exercise

Agreed! One could also strap a few books on one's thighs to be able to carry more and to make those thighs work extra hard...

Wow, that was lucky!   I'm rubbish at keeping bookmarks.  I tend to use them in hardback coffee table type books now, rather than paperbacks.  I generally use scraps of paper in paperbacks and then tear tiny bits off them to mark things I want to refer to later.  :)

Well that's just as useful :) I find magnetic bookmarks incredibly handy and so those are usually my choice. I have a lot of bookmarks though, and I try and mix it up a bit so I could use them all. It would be a shame not to use them as they are so prettyful :) 

I'm usually really pedantic when going through the books I'm returning to the library: I go over each one of them and leaf them through to see that I haven't left anything inside them, and so how that one bookmark was left in the book is a complete mystery to me! Cheeky bugger :D 

I'm currently writing down quotes from some books I've read in my book notebook and I have to share a few with you, they are too delicious! :blush: 

These are from The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom: 

(This is when Ted, a local, and Israel, the new librarian from London, are visiting the library for the first time)

'Look around you,' said Israel. 'What do you notice?'

'The library?'

'Yes, but what exactly about the library?'

'Ach. I don't know.'

'What do you usually get in libraries?'

'Drunks?'

'No!'

'Ach,' said Ted. 'I don't know.'

'Books.'

'Books?'

'Yes. Books. Books! There are no books!'

Ted looked round the empty library. 'Aye,' he agreed. 

:lol: 

And this one: 

'It's temporary. Sorry,' he said, embarrassed, 'I can't offer you a seat or anything.'

'It's OK.' Veronica perched herself on the edge of the bed, pushing aside Israel's pile of books to make more room for herself. 'You like reading, huh? Isn't that a bit clichéd for a librarian?'

'Well,' said Israel, flushing. 'You could say that. Isn't it a bit clichéd for a journalist to barge in and be asking so many questions?'

'Touché!' said Veronica. 

Ok, you've definitely sold me on The Case of the Missing Books now … it's been wishlisted! :D

Hurrah! I've been wanting someone to get interested in the book: it's after all a book about books and a librarian and a library!! Shouldn't be too hard to sell on here....! :D (Just a warning: I'm currently reading the second novel in the series and it's not as good as the first one. But I would definitely recommend the first novel at least :yes::smile2:)

Well that's just as useful :) I find magnetic bookmarks incredibly handy and so those are usually my choice. I have a lot of bookmarks though, and I try and mix it up a bit so I could use them all. It would be a shame not to use them as they are so prettyful :)

I'm usually really pedantic when going through the books I'm returning to the library: I go over each one of them and leaf them through to see that I haven't left anything inside them, and so how that one bookmark was left in the book is a complete mystery to me! Cheeky bugger :D

Kind of off topic, but I saw this about magnetic bookmarks and it reminded me how cool I thought they were when my mom got some from one of her students. So I went and ordered some on amazon. And since I was on amazon anyway, I ordered three books  :giggle2:

You are all bad influences me  :hide:

Kind of off topic, but I saw this about magnetic bookmarks and it reminded me how cool I thought they were when my mom got some from one of her students. So I went and ordered some on amazon. And since I was on amazon anyway, I ordered three books  :giggle2:

You are all bad great influences me  :hide:

I fixed that for you ^  :giggle2::D Magnetic bookmarks are the best, they are so easy and handy! Your Mom must be a cool teacher to have gotten some from a student! :cool: But you can't blame us for ordering books, I only talked about bookmarks! :P:D 

#11 Upper Fourth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton

Blurb: The Upper Fourth promises to be another exciting year at Malory Towers; Alicia with her tricks, Darrell with her temper, timid Mary-Lou, the madcaps Belinda and Irene as well as the others. This year there is the tension of exams but there is all the fun of the summer term as well and the high spirits of a lively and imaginative form of girls.

Thoughts: My favorite book in the series so far! :) After the third novel I didn't think I'd want to read the rest of the series but as I'd already reserved the fourth novel, I thought I'd give it a go. Might as well. And I'm glad I did :) Now I'm impatiently waiting for the fifth novel in the series to arrive!

(And there was a midnight feast!! :exc::D)

4/5

#13. The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

I don't want to write down the blurb so I won't spoil things for you who've read the first novel in the series, The Rosie Project

I read and loved TRP at the beginning of last year. It was swell! :smile2: When I heard there was a sequel coming up, I wasn't all too excited at first. My initial thought was that there's no way it's going to be any good. No way. But then the book came out and little by little I got very curious about it. Reserved a copy and decided to re-read TRP just to refresh my memory. And I have to say, even though it was only 1 year ago that I first read the book, I loved it just as much and there were so many details I'd forgotten about. And the writing's very funny, of course. When I was reading TRP, I couldn't wait to get to TRE! 

And I loved TRE just as much. I think the sequel was maybe a bit more eventful (which is not good or bad in itself), and there was one thing that I didn't think was very plausible but I didn't let that bother me. 

I simply have to buy a copy of both the books some day because I know I'm going to keep re-reading them forever :smile2: And I know I'll be underlining half of the book because there are so many brilliant scenes and conversations there! 

5/5

Edited by frankie

#14. Mr Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom 

Blurb: Mr. Dixon a member of the Ulster Association of Magicians, has gone missing—along with one hundred thousand pounds in cash. Israel Armstrong, bighearted and overly inquisitive, should stick to delivering library books to out-of-the-way readers and not get involved in the investigation. But of course, he can't help himself—which costs him his job and earns him a place of dishonor among the police's prime suspects. Can Israel clear his name and get his van back? Will the exhibition of old local photos he's been driving around County Antrim offer clues to Mr. D.'s whereabouts?

Thoughts: Having loved The Case of the Missing Books (the first novel in the Mobile Library series), I was looking forward to reading this sequel. The characters are as enjoyable as ever, and I love the combination of books + librarian + mystery, but this book was rather a disappointment. It wasn't as funny as the first novel, and the case was not that interesting, either. Some of the events in the novel didn't seem to have anything to do with the mystery and kept getting me sidetracked, and I couldn't always see any other point to them either: they didn't bring anything to the actual story and they weren't even funny. :unsure: 

I'm probably going to give the third novel a go but I'm going in with lowered expectations! 

2/5

#11 Upper Fourth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton

Blurb: The Upper Fourth promises to be another exciting year at Malory Towers; Alicia with her tricks, Darrell with her temper, timid Mary-Lou, the madcaps Belinda and Irene as well as the others. This year there is the tension of exams but there is all the fun of the summer term as well and the high spirits of a lively and imaginative form of girls.

Thoughts: My favorite book in the series so far! :) After the third novel I didn't think I'd want to read the rest of the series but as I'd already reserved the fourth novel, I thought I'd give it a go. Might as well. And I'm glad I did :) Now I'm impatiently waiting for the fifth novel in the series to arrive!

(And there was a midnight feast!! :exc::D)

4/5

I'm sure this is because you read a violent copy :D So much more fun! Hope the fifth one wings its way to you soon :hug: 

What a shame about Mr Dixon Disappears  :(  but I'm still definitely going to read The Case of the Missing Books.  I'm just hoping Kay enjoys The Norfolk Mystery now.

I'm sure I shall Claire :hug: I love the sound of it :)

I fixed that for you ^   :giggle2::D Magnetic bookmarks are the best, they are so easy and handy! Your Mom must be a cool teacher to have gotten some from a student! :cool: But you can't blame us for ordering books, I only talked about bookmarks! :P:D

:lol: Yes thanks for fixing it. And yeah she is a pretty cool teacher. She gets all sorts of stuff at Christmas, end of the year, and teacher appreciation week. It makes up for the fact that teachers aren't well compensated here. 

Still blaming you for the books  :P  :giggle2:

What a shame about Mr Dixon Disappears  but I'm still definitely going to read The Case of the Missing Books.  I'm just hoping Kay enjoys The Norfolk Mystery now.

I'm sure I shall Claire.  I love the sound of it.

Oh but The Norfolk Mystery is a different series, so the fact that I wasn't impressed with Mr Dixon Disappears has nothing to do with that :smile2: Ian Sansom is a good author, so I'm sure Kay will enjoy TNM! :) 

I'm sure this is because you read a violent copy. So much more fun! Hope the fifth one wings its way to you soon

:D Oh crap, I do wonder if it's because it's the first violent copy I read. I'm now terrified of myself :D I'm next in line for the fifth copy, and I checked yesterday and the due date for the current borrower to take the book back to the library is the day after tomorrow. So if s/he takes the book back in time, it shouldn't take too long to get to me! :) 

Yes thanks for fixing it. And yeah she is a pretty cool teacher. She gets all sorts of stuff at Christmas, end of the year, and teacher appreciation week. It makes up for the fact that teachers aren't well compensated here. 

Still blaming you for the books.

Teachers are undervalued  in many ways :( The kids these days have no respect for authority the way they did decades ago. It's become more risky to be a teacher these days, as they always have fewer and fewer ways to try and discipline the kids. :no: Schools are more dangerous these days :( 

Okay, you can blame me, but remember: it's a two way street :P Unless you stop writing reviews yourself... :D 

It's March already and I haven't picked a single title from the book box :thud:

Notice the date of the post: 

I'm thinking about doing the TBR book jar thing. The one Brian came up with. I hope you don't mind if I steal the idea! :smile2:

The thing is, what with moving to a new city and discovering the amazing book selection of the southern Finland libraries, I've not touched a TBR book in ages :( That makes me sad. I have a lot of great books on the shelves, ones I've been wanting to read for ages, but nothing happens when I'm forever reserving new books from the library and hauling them in and concentrating on getting them finished. 

I think I should at least try reading one TBR book per each library book I read. And that's where the book jar could come in handy. I'm still going to go for a particular book off the shelf if the mood hits me, but if I don't fancy anything particular, I could try the book jar.

That was almost 3 months ago and I've not read any TBR books! 

I have 19 books borrowed from the library at the moment (well after I've taken some back :blush:) and I have 16 reservations. Crap! 

I think I should be more strict... Okay I'll try and read 10 books from the library books first and then it's 1 TBR book per 1 library book that I read. I'll have to try! 

Edit: And no borrowing books from the library!! Except for the reserved books. Got to be more strict about this. 

Updated reading plan: 

The Rosie Project 

The Rosie Effect

The Giver

Gathering Blue

Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems

Eleanor Park

Pyynikin rinteellä

My Fat Mad Teenage Diary (currently reading)

Bubbling under: 

Rebecca 

Edited by frankie

Good luck with your reading plan! I've been reading a lot of library books myself lately and less TBR-books. I'm going to take a break from the library for a few weeks to read some of my own TBR books (because I want to read those too). I hope you'll be able to read lots of nice books, from both your library and your own TBR :)!