Frankie reads 2015

frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At my local library every item has a unique code so that if there are multiple copies of an item they know which one is assigned to which borrower. Sounds like you had a right nightmare but at least it's sorted out now.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. With books it's a given, but apparently with CDs and DVDs it's not :shrug: I have no idea why. 

And it's cheaper and easier to replace a book, I think you can just get a copy of it yourself and make the switch. But with DVDs and CDs, you can't just go and buy a copy to replace it, because the library has to pay these certain fees for music and movies and TV series. Copyrights fee or something.

Does your local library have foreign books? I wish mine had.

Yes, we have books in English and Swedish, and in many other languages, too. Probably in at least a dozen different language here in the south. The selection in some of the languages is really small but it's there. 

I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble with the libraries :empathy:, but I'm really glad it is all sorted in the end :).

Our library has foreign books too, in English, French, German and Spanish I believe (Dutch and Flemish I'm not counting as foreign :D).

Oh dear frankie, a bad day at the library is not good - libraries are supposed to be have a calming effect!  :empathy: .

P. S. I should see Scott Bakula in 2 episodes of NCIS next Friday, in a cross-over type thing with the New Orleans version.  :jump:

Edited by Marie H

And the line was so odd! Whenever he'd say nothing, the line got really quiet and I would think the line was dead. But when he started saying something or when he did something, I could hear the line. It was so annoying!

Sounds like the sort of thing that happens when you're talking to someone who's got you on a speaker :unsure:

Oh dear frankie, a bad day at the library is not good - libraries are supposed to be have a calming effect!  :empathy: .

That's exactly what I mean! Libraries are safe havens and sanctuaries and I hate it when all's not well on that front. I'm glad it's sorted though. I almost feel like going back to that helpful fella at the Sello library just to tell him it was a mix-up and that I didn't do anything wrong and so he didn't do anything bad by making an exception when he let me borrow the books and the DVDs :blush::giggle2:

P. S. I should see Scott Bakula in 2 episodes of NCIS next Friday, in a cross-over type thing with the New Orleans version.  :jump:

Ooooh! :exc: Is it the kind of episode where they introduce the NCIS characters when dealing with some case or another, and then the NCIS NO takes off from that? Very exciting :D You will have to let me know how you liked it!

Sounds like the sort of thing that happens when you're talking to someone who's got you on a speaker :unsure:

:D Why would they do that? It's just as well that I didn't start crying and cussing on the phone then :D

My Mum was on hold to someone for ages the other day while he sorted something out. In the meantime she was chatting away to me about random things. Once or twice, after waiting for ages, she said something like 'I bet he's forgotten all about me' and then 'I bet he's fallen asleep'. The next moment her face changed and she started talking to the guy again. It turned out he could hear everything she had said while she was on hold. And when she commented about him falling asleep, he piped up and said that he hadn't fallen asleep.  :rolol: Mum was mortified and I howled with laughter.  :rolol: The guy took it pretty well though. :D They must have a lot of interesting stories to tell about the things they hear customers say!

:lol: :lol: Serves them right for keeping people on hold for so long and  listening what they're doing/saying while they're waiting :D

Edit: I bet they could write a book on the subject. Kinda like Weird Things Customers Say on the Phone :D 

Edited by frankie

Ooooh! :exc: Is it the kind of episode where they introduce the NCIS characters when dealing with some case or another, and then the NCIS NO takes off from that? 

Yup, that's the one - it seems to be the last 2 episodes of NCIS, but introducing the new New Orleans cast of characters  :smile:  :smile:. I hope that it is going to be good, like having a good plot etc., not just Scott being his wonderful-ness  :giggle2: .

Oh frankie, I'm sorry you had all those probs with the library.  Nothing like the bureaucratic mind to mess with a civilian's head! :D Oy!

Yup, that's the one - it seems to be the last 2 episodes of NCIS, but introducing the new New Orleans cast of characters  :smile:  :smile:. I hope that it is going to be good, like having a good plot etc., not just Scott being his wonderful-ness  :giggle2: .

I saw the pilot of NCIS/NO, didn't much care for it.  The accents are atrocious.  Annoy the heck out of me.

And I do like Bakula. I'll be interested to see what a non-New Orleanian thinks of it. :D

I agree, I hope there's something else to the actual series than just Scott Bakula :giggle2::D He's great, but I'm not sure I'd watch a whole series just because of him! 

I saw the pilot of NCIS/NO, didn't much care for it.  The accents are atrocious.  Annoy the heck out of me.

And I do like Bakula. I'll be interested to see what a non-New Orleanian thinks of it. :D

I'm sure the actors are trying their hardest with the accent :) One can't really get it 100% right unless one's a native, and for that they'd have to have native actors. At least you have TV shows (international ones) that are set in your area! :D I'm pretty sure the hell will have frozen over the day they make a TV series that's set in my hometown....! And while we're on the subject, there's this movie called Confessions of a Shopaholic where they have this Finnish character talking to the main character in Finnish. The Finnish is almost undecipherable... It's grammatically incorrect and it shows that the actor doesn't speak it as his native tongue. The actor's not even famous or anything, and it's not a big role, so I wonder why they didn't cast someone who actually speaks Finnish... But I'm still happy Finns have made their way into the movie (and the book, more importantly)! :cool:

Edit: I've listened to the clip of the Finn about 8 times now and I've finally realized what he's said, all in all and it is actually grammatically correct. I heard him wrong the first time. But it says a lot that I couldn't understand what he was saying until the 8th time!  ... Edit2: What, the guy is Finnish :D Poor acting and very bad articulation.

Edited by frankie

Oh dear, I'm not a fan of NCIS really (and the original CSI is not that good now - it's not the same without Gil Grissom  :cry: ) I wouldn't notice if the NO accents, but I had a hunch that the characters seemed to exaggerating the Big Easy and it's atmosphere a bit :dunno: . Well, I will get to see it this Friday. 

I agree, I hope there's something else to the actual series than just Scott Bakula :giggle2::D He's great, but I'm not sure I'd watch a whole series just because of him! 

:I-Agree:

No tickets for Matt Haig yet, but I do know now that it will be on 27th March, and it is at a venue with decent disabled access, so I'm really excited now :exc: . And nervous of course.. :sarcastic:

Oh dear, I'm not a fan of NCIS really (and the original CSI is not that good now - it's not the same without Gil Grissom  :cry: ) I wouldn't notice if the NO accents, but I had a hunch that the characters seemed to exaggerating the Big Easy and it's atmosphere a bit :dunno: . Well, I will get to see it this Friday.

I'm pretty sure my knowledge of the southern accents is so poor I won't be able to spot any wrong doings, and so I'll be able to just enjoy the drawl :D I do like that a bit :blush: It's quite attractive.

No tickets for Matt Haig yet, but I do know now that it will be on 27th March, and it is at a venue with decent disabled access, so I'm really excited now :exc: . And nervous of course.. :sarcastic:

Be sure to check the venue or the ticket selling website daily so that you won't miss it! :cool: That's really great news about the venue, I like it that they've thought about that!

This reminds me (and all book signing occasions with one's favorite author) of when Ceinwenn (someone who used to be a regular member on here) went to Jeffery Deaver's book signing event. It was so funny!! Here's how Charm told the story and this is what Ceinwenn added to it and you gotta read this, too. Epic :lol:

Edited by frankie

I'm pretty sure my knowledge of the southern accents is so poor I won't be able to spot any wrong doings, and so I'll be able to just enjoy the drawl :D I do 

This reminds me (and all book signing occasions with one's favorite author) of when Ceinwenn (someone who used to be a regular member on here) went to Jeffery Deaver's book signing event. It was so funny!! Here's how Charm told the story and this is what Ceinwenn added to it and you gotta read this, too. Epic :lol:

Oh heavens, I adore Jeffery Deaver  :wub: , and his children books are quite nice as well ;)   :giggle2: . I will look at the links next!

Oh heavens, I adore Jeffery Deaver  :wub: , and his children books are quite nice as well ;)   :giggle2: . I will look at the links next!

You do?! That is so cool, I didn't know! :D I've just bumped up the thread. It's wonderful to have new fans on the forum! :cool: Welcome, Deaverette :giggle2::D 

You do?! That is so cool, I didn't know! :D I've just bumped up the thread. It's wonderful to have new fans on the forum! :cool: Welcome, Deaverette :giggle2::D

Yippee, I am now an official Deaverette  :exc:. Oh, I would be a total wreck at meeting him.  

Yippee, I am now an official Deaverette  :exc:. Oh, I would be a total wreck at meeting him.  

You will receive your cheery Deaverette pom poms in the mail soon :D I think I'd be a wreck, too. I like it how his publicist hands out post-its beforehand for people to write down what they wish Deaver to write on their books. What foresight! Although I suppose that's just a very common thing. But it's nice and courteous. It makes it easier to get people's names right, to avoid any spelling mistakes. 

You will receive your cheery Deaverette pom poms in the mail soon :D I think I'd be a wreck, too. I like it how his publicist hands out post-its beforehand for people to write down what they wish Deaver to write on their books. What foresight! Although I suppose that's just a very common thing. But it's nice and courteous. It makes it easier to get people's names right, to avoid any spelling mistakes.

Why doesn't everyone do that, because it's a great idea!! I can hardly remember my own name when I meet an author....

Why doesn't everyone do that, because it's a great idea!! I can hardly remember my own name when I meet an author....

:lol: :lol: Exactly! Are the publicists wanting to make a fool of their client's fans?!? I don't think it's the same if you bring your own piece of paper and write on that one what you want to say to the author :blush: I mean it should work and the author ought to be happy about it but I'm sure the other fans would consider one an oddball :( 

:lol: :lol: Exactly! Are the publicists wanting to make a fool of their client's fans?!? I don't think it's the same if you bring your own piece of paper and write on that one what you want to say to the author :blush: I mean it should work and the author ought to be happy about it but I'm sure the other fans would consider one an oddball :(

:rolol: . That is scarily true frankie :o , as that is exactly how I would feel, and everyone would see me as a complete freak - but it's the most sensible thing to do in the situation. :wacko:

:rolol: . That is scarily true frankie :o , as that is exactly how I would feel, and everyone would see me as a complete freak - but it's the most sensible thing to do in the situation. :wacko:

If I lived closer to you and you were going to see an author I wasn't interested in, I would come with you, and dress in really weird clothes and maybe eat beans and fart and make a nuisance of myself so all the attention would be drawn on me and you'd be safe :D  :friends3:

If I lived closer to you and you were going to see an author I wasn't interested in, I would come with you, and dress in really weird clothes and maybe eat beans and fart and make a nuisance of myself so all the attention would be drawn on me and you'd be safe :D  :friends3:

:rolol:  :friends3:  :alc: You are such a hoot!! :D  I will pay the cost of your flights, as it would be well worth it! :friends3:

Oh boy! :exc: The Sello library is awesome....!! I'm currently reading The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom and I'm really enjoying the book. It's the first book in the Mobile Library series and I really want to read the other books, too. A few days ago I went to check if they have copies of the sequels, and they do. Well, sort of! They have book #4 in English, but not book #2 or #3. They have those two in Swedish. :( I'm wasn't feeling very confident about reading the books in Swedish, so I requested they acquire the English copies of the two books. 

I've just been to the library's website just to check if by any chance they'd already ordered the books. They have!! :o I wasn't expecting them to be this quick!! Oh boy :exc: 

:rolol:  :friends3:  :alc: You are such a hoot!! :D  I will pay the cost of your flights, as it would be well worth it! :friends3:

The flights might be expensive... I'd better start saving money, I couldn't let you pay for the flights! But I've always wanted to visit the UK so just as well that I now have all the more reason to do so :D  :friends3:

I didn't go to the library book sale on Sunday and I was feeling very good about that. Visiting the library today was dangerous, though, as they still had some books there, left over from the sale. I bought one, it was only 20 cnt. It's a book by one of the most prolific Finnish authors, Kalle Päätalo. He's my Dad's favorite author, he has most of his books at home. They are massive, each at least 500 pages long. The thing it, I promised to read one of his books if Dad read this girls' classic book, and so when I saw a used copy I thought I might as well buy it so I don't have to borrow a copy from the library and then take it back, unread :blush::giggle2: