Frankie reads 2015

frankie

WHEN! :yes: Hehe, do you know what you could do? When you get to TBR 1990, you could start reading 11 books and read them till you were only one page away from finishing each and every one of them. Not finishing one of them before you were on the last page on the others, too. Then you'd just read the last pages of those 11 books and tadaa, you're in the 70s, you gorgeous hippy chick :D 

Heh, that's a good idea. I probably would go to those lengths just so I could avoid being stuck in the 80s!  :giggle2:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here .. I read mine until they almost fell apart. I wish too they'd been kept .. I wonder if they're actually still alive in the world or whether they were sent to the refuse dump or something :( I used to put my name in them so of course I looked straight at these newly acquired copies to see if they .. in some serendipitatious type way :D .. were my old copies but alas no :( They do smell rather wonderfully of the seventies though :blush2: My great niece reads them and quite enjoys them but like you say they are so dated now .. it's hard for modern kids to relate. 

Join us if you can Hayley  :smile: 

Awwww, I'm sure the books are somewhere with people who love and cherish them and take good care of them  :empathy:  It would've been pretty fantastic if it had turned out they were your old copies :D 

Heh, that's a good idea. I probably would go to those lengths just so I could avoid being stuck in the 80s!  :giggle2:

:lol: Yeah you would! Don't understand it, though, because the 80s produced you and I :cool: 

So have mine, they arrived yesterday but I didn't know about that until today because the library's website was under construction or something and I couldn't get in to see if they'd arrived already. How funny is it that we received the books on the same day! :D

I think we're ready to start when Marie has a copy...? Or have I forgotten someone else! 

Ooh .. that is funny! We are synchronising :D I'm very excited .. I did have a good flick through .. looking at the illustrations mainly and a thousand memories came flooding back. Alan picked one up and began reading and then laughing  :angry: ... I expect he only managed to progress as far as comics when he was young :D He did look as if he wanted to read on though .. wouldn't mind betting he picks them up at some point but I confiscated them in a huff  :D 

I can't wait to get involved in them again  :smile: xx

Ooh .. that is funny! We are synchronising :D

Yep :D I wonder if Marie bought her e-book version yesterday :D

I'm very excited .. I did have a good flick through .. looking at the illustrations mainly and a thousand memories came flooding back. Alan picked one up and began reading and then laughing  ... I expect he only managed to progress as far as comics when he was young. He did look as if he wanted to read on though .. wouldn't mind betting he picks them up at some point but I confiscated them in a huff  

Oh Alan :D But maybe he was laughing with  the book, and not at it :blush::D Did you give him a wet willy for it? (I was trying to remember some other childish torture treatment that didn't have such a silly name :blush::D But can only think of an Indian burn and that's too painful!) 

Tell him he can read the books only if he reacts to them appropriately :D Tell him to study your expressions when reading the book!

I can't wait to get involved in them again  xx

Me, either!  :readingtwo:

:lol: Yeah you would! Don't understand it, though, because the 80s produced you and I :cool:

Yeah, but that's the only good thing about the 80s! Everything else (hair, clothes, music) sucked, IMO!

Did you give him a wet willy for it? (I was trying to remember some other childish torture treatment that didn't have such a silly name :blush::D But can only think of an Indian burn and that's too painful!)

How about a Chinese burn? They're only slightly less painful than Indian burns. I'm not sure why they are named for the Chinese and Indians, but I suspect it's for a politically incorrect reason.  :lurker: What about a purple nurple? :D I've never received one of those, fortunately. Or a wedgie.

Yeah, but that's the only good thing about the 80s! Everything else (hair, clothes, music) sucked, IMO!

Okay that's a good point.... :giggle2: Some of the music's good, though! I'll just have to think very hard to remember... :D

How about a Chinese burn? They're only slightly less painful than Indian burns. I'm not sure why they are named for the Chinese and Indians, but I suspect it's for a politically incorrect reason.  :lurker: What about a purple nurple? :D I've never received one of those, fortunately. Or a wedgie.

I didn't know there are Chinese burns, too. The things you learn! A purple nurple :D Oooh a wedgie, that one I know! It's funny, the Finnish kids do these too, but we don't usually have special names for them. We would just say sticking a wet finger in one's ear :shrug: I guess the English speaking countries are more specialized in these brutalities :P:giggle2:

I think our copies are with a younger relative at present. I'm sure I remember enough to join in any conversations though! :D

This may be interesting for you to read..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malory_Towers

.. so interesting to see where the books are set! ")

Well we'd be happy to have you talk about the books with us even though you're not going to be re-reading them along with us! :) (Although maybe you could find copies at the library, if you wished?)   :readingtwo:

And at least do take part in the midnight feast :lol: 

Oh Alan. But maybe he was laughing with  the book, and not at it . Did you give him a wet willy for it? (I was trying to remember some other childish torture treatment that didn't have such a silly name. But can only think of an Indian burn and that's too painful!) 

Tell him he can read the books only if he reacts to them appropriately. Tell him to study your expressions when reading the book!

How about a Chinese burn? They're only slightly less painful than Indian burns. I'm not sure why they are named for the Chinese and Indians, but I suspect it's for a politically incorrect reason.  What about a purple nurple? I've never received one of those, fortunately. Or a wedgie.

I only know of Chinese burns .. I've no idea about Indian ones!?! ... and as for wet willies  :o .. never heard of it before and I'm quite sure it wouldn't be appropriate for me to be dishing that out at 10am  :D Not heard pf purple nurple's either .. I really am behind with childhood torture practices :D

I just gave him 'the look' .. I daresay I gave them out as a child but I've worked on them since then .. they're prodigious now :D

He was being silly and pointing out sentences were words had been used that now mean something different  :roll2:  This sort of thing amuses him .. he was delighted when one of Jane Austen's heroines put her hand in her muff!  :D 

I only know of Chinese burns .. I've no idea about Indian ones!?! ... and as for wet willies  :o .. never heard of it before and I'm quite sure it wouldn't be appropriate for me to be dishing that out at 10am  :D Not heard pf purple nurple's either .. I really am behind with childhood torture practices :D

Okay maybe there are no Indian burns to begin with and I meant Chinese! I can't be sure now. Ah, googled: "Indian burn: known in various countries as "Chinese burn”, "snake bite", "eraser burn" or “nettle burn”: "

Wet willy has like the most ridiculous name ever :D 

I just gave him 'the look' .. I daresay I gave them out as a child but I've worked on them since then .. they're prodigious now :D

I want to learn how to give someone the look! :o I think I couldn't master it, though, I'd probably start laughing. 

He was being silly and pointing out sentences were words had been used that now mean something different  :roll2:  This sort of thing amuses him .. he was delighted when one of Jane Austen's heroines put her hand in her muff!  :D 

Muff :D :D Well it's a delightful occupation, isn't it! To keep one's hands warm, that is... 

Hmm...maybe my brother just told me there were both Indian and Chinese burns so he could torture me twice as much? :(

In my family, a Chinese burn is when you use two hands to twist someone's arm in opposite directions, and you hold the position. With an Indian burn you do the same thing, except instead of just holding the grip, you quickly move your hands in opposite directions, so you're twisting back and forth. Does that make sense?

ETA: I think muffs are lovely. I wish I lived in an area that got cold enough to warrant wearing one (I don't even know if people still wear them—I think it's an 'olden days' thing?)

Hmm...maybe my brother just told me there were both Indian and Chinese burns so he could torture me twice as much? :(

:o Ask him!!! :(

In my family, a Chinese burn is when you use two hands to twist someone's arm in opposite directions, and you hold the position. With an Indian burn you do the same thing, except instead of just holding the grip, you quickly move your hands in opposite directions, so you're twisting back and forth. Does that make sense?

Ah! Well maybe that's what it is. Ouch! And yeah, it does make sense. Not a fan of either.... !

ETA: I think muffs are lovely. I wish I lived in an area that got cold enough to warrant wearing one (I don't even know if people still wear them—I think it's an 'olden days' thing?)

Come to Finland and we'll get you a muff! I've seen one or two in my lifetime :) But yeah, I think they are very rare. I think only really 'posh' people have them, the ones that will also wear real fur :rolleyes: But I'm being prejudiced and stereotyping. Not very nice of me!

I think I must go now, off to walk a puppy!! :exc:

That's a good idea in itself, and would've saved me time and trouble, but I quite like it that the book titles are on pieces of paper and I get to physically pick one. :) There's something very appealing in that. Old school romanticism :blush:

I fully understand that! And you definitely strike me as a person who likes to have it physically, digitally doesn't quite have the same feel do it, does it :)? I just wanted to write it down to let you, and others know it's possible.

P.S. Have fun with the puppy! Do tell us, in one of the threads on the forum :P, how it was! We'd love to know :).

Enjoy your readings together of the Mallory Towers books :).

I fully understand that! And you definitely strike me as a person who likes to have it physically, digitally doesn't quite have the same feel do it, does it :)? I just wanted to write it down to let you, and others know it's possible.

I'm not opposed to modern technology as such (not much, anyways :giggle2:), but I do like to go old school if and when it's still possible :) But maybe someone else will want to do it the way you described :)

P.S. Have fun with the puppy! Do tell us, in one of the threads on the forum :P, how it was! We'd love to know :).

I came home after 6 PM but had to go grocery shopping and now I'm cooking dinner, so I'll come back to that a bit later!

Enjoy your readings together of the Mallory Towers books :).

Thanks! :) I just went and got the book from the library! :exc: I love it!

Yes .. I can say proudly that I have worn a muff! Might have been the one and only time but still  :blush2: Look at my natty outift .. red it was apparently .. I look like something from another world!! :D 

muff.jpg

It's such a beautiful picture, and you look so adorable! :wub: I love your outfit :D Very pretty and stylish, even as a child!

:D I'm glad your not a British loyal, cause how could we ever meet what with your security staff?!

I wrote about the doggy walk in the Pets thread. It went really well and the owner's nice and the dog is great and I'm very excited about tomorrow! :smile2: What's more, is that I discovered a skating rink on the way, and it's only a 5 minute walk from my house. That's a lot closer than the skating rink I knew about, which is 20 minutes from my house. And this one was an outdoors, natural skating rink! :wub: I'm so going skating there at some point :) 

What's even more, is that when I was trying to find the right apartment building, I found a secondhand bookshop :D :D Oh dear! This might be a bad, bad thing...! 

Did you already get the e-book?

Yep, I have got the The Early Years at Malory Towers: (3 Books in 1 ) ebook today!! -  :011: . I haven't peeked at the book yet, but I'm ready to start reading.  :smile:

I've just read about your doggy adventure .. sounds great but totally scary in lots of ways. You did admirably to cope with what is a very large and energetic puppy and you scooped his poop too .. well done! :D Second hand bookshop!! .. this is excellent stuff :D Hooray for dog walking.

My security staff would totally let you in to my palace .. it's ma'am as in jam remember :D

Yep, I have got the The Early Years at Malory Towers: (3 Books in 1 ) ebook today!! -  . I haven't peeked at the book yet, but I'm ready to start reading.  

Awesome!! So we all now have copies? Oh boy :exc::D I only have about 50 pages left of my current read but I think I'm able to finish it today and then start the first MT books :yes: 

I've just read about your doggy adventure .. sounds great but totally scary in lots of ways. You did admirably to cope with what is a very large and energetic puppy and you scooped his poop too .. well done! Second hand bookshop!! .. this is excellent stuff. Hooray for dog walking.

I used to be scared of German Shepherds, I had a few bad incidents with a few of them when I was a kid. It's only been 10 years since I stopped being scared of them. If someone had told me as a child that I was going to be dog walking a Germie, I would've died of shock and terror :D

He really liked to nibble me :D And he humped my leg a few times. Had to shove him off, really :D But his nibbles didn't hurt. I don't mind the nibbling, but I mind it that I'm supposed to be consistent in how I treat him, the way his owners treat him. Or at least try as well as I can. It's good practice for when I might get a dog of my own.

My security staff would totally let you in to my palace .. it's ma'am as in jam remember 

:lol: :lol: True that! :drama: Poor staff, they would have a handful with you :D

Yep, I have got the The Early Years at Malory Towers: (3 Books in 1 ) ebook today!! -  :011: . I haven't peeked at the book yet, but I'm ready to start reading.  :smile:

Awesome!! So we all now have copies? Oh boy :exc::D I only have about 50 pages left of my current read but I think I'm able to finish it today and then start the first MT books :yes:

This is brilliant news!  :exc:

That's great! :smile:  I will start MT tomorrow, if everyone is all ready to go  :smile2: .

I used to be scared of German Shepherds, I had a few bad incidents with a few of them when I was a kid. It's only been 10 years since I stopped being scared of them. If someone had told me as a child that I was going to be dog walking a Germie, I would've died of shock and terror :D

He really liked to nibble me :D And he humped my leg a few times. Had to shove him off, really :D But his nibbles didn't hurt. I don't mind the nibbling, but I mind it that I'm supposed to be consistent in how I treat him, the way his owners treat him. Or at least try as well as I can. It's good practice for when I might get a dog of my own.

German Shepherds are on my list of 'dogs wot I'm scared of'  :blush2: Any dog that could feasibly eat me comes under that list though  :blush2: 

Yes ... the owners don't want him to nibble so you have to be strict. This is all excellent practice  :smile: