Frankie reads 2015

frankie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started watching Doc Martin yesterday. I'm sure it's a re-run, but I've never watched it before. I'm not too keen on medical TV series and I've kind of disliked Martin Clunes in the past. However, last week I caught a glimpse of the show and couldn't stop watching the whole episode. This week I went to see if they had the episodes on the channel's website, and sure enough they do. I then watched the beginning of the episode to see what I'd missed, and since then I've watched two more episodes. What a lovely village with an interesting group of characters :D And so many familiar actors! 

I've started to like Martin Clunes. When I was googling for a photo of him and the dog in the show, the search came up with Clunes posing with a lot of different dogs. Turns out he likes them :wub: What a great man! I also discovered that he's written a book about his cocker spaniel Mary, and his family life with her and his other dogs and family. Luckily they have copies at the library, so I've placed a reservation for it :exc: 

:o  Should go to the doctor for that  :giggle2:

Oooh, nurse – the screens! It seems to be a case of Double Entendre; a complication due to floppy endings. Often happens when there is a lack of successful climax in a books ending....  *reads what she has just typed, then thinks “Yes, that looks quite innocent this time” :angel_not:  ...... :giggle2:

Edited by Marie H

It is rather juvenile so it probably appeals to the child in me :D

There's a child in me, too, but it's a girl and not British :blush::lol::shrug: 

I loved Men Behaving Badly!  :lol:

If you ever get the chance you should watch him in Goodbye, Mr Chips.  He was amazing in that.  :wub:

Hm. So have I possibly missed something... I know the show's been popular over here, too. 

Martin Clunes is in Goodbye, Mr Chips? Oooh I have to watch it :yes: I have the book on my wishlist, thanks to you :D 

I went for a walk today (I've started exercising :o) and I visited the library on my way back home. I found two books in the free book swap bookcase I couldn't resist: Rabbit, Run by John Updike (I like the blurb and have had this on my wishlist for a few years, and I know it's on one or two of my lists) and Emma and I by Sheila Hocken, which has also been on my wishlist for a while. It's about a girl who's going blind and has to get a guide dog, and the guide dog changes her life :smile2: Wuff wuff! 

I started watching Doc Martin yesterday. I'm sure it's a re-run, but I've never watched it before. I'm not too keen on medical TV series and I've kind of disliked Martin Clunes in the past. However, last week I caught a glimpse of the show and couldn't stop watching the whole episode. This week I went to see if they had the episodes on the channel's website, and sure enough they do. I then watched the beginning of the episode to see what I'd missed, and since then I've watched two more episodes. What a lovely village with an interesting group of characters :D And so many familiar actors! 

I've started to like Martin Clunes. When I was googling for a photo of him and the dog in the show, the search came up with Clunes posing with a lot of different dogs. Turns out he likes them :wub: What a great man! I also discovered that he's written a book about his cocker spaniel Mary, and his family life with her and his other dogs and family. Luckily they have copies at the library, so I've placed a reservation for it :exc:

Mr Clunes goes from zero to hero :D Love your new avvie pic :)

Mr Clunes goes from zero to hero :D Love your new avvie pic :)

Haha, yes! From zero to hero! (He was well below zero, actually :blush:

Do you know who else I really like now? Jeff Rawle's character named Roger Fenn! :wub: 

webDocMartinS2ep63.jpg?quality=60&mode=c

Too bad he's only in five episodes :( :(

I wasn't sure if the humour translates well to other nationalities and it is very male orientated.

Well to be honest, I don't think I've ever watched more than a few minutes of it :giggle2: Suppose if I'd ever given it a real chance... 

Modernised, as in the covers or editing the actual text? I have no idea about the latter. I went and checked the edition they have at the library and yes it's a really new one, namely this one. Do you think they've re-written stuff on it? I don't like it... But then again, maybe it would be easier for me. Prig is an odd word for me and I bet Enid had a lot of those :D

Modernised as in both I'm afraid. I read that there was a slapping incident that's been changed into a shaking incident .. even though it was made clear that slapping isn't the answer :D I hope they haven't modernised the things they ate at their midnight feasts .. wouldn't be right if they were all now eating Monster Munch or something :D Think it will be interesting if we do read different .. or slightly different .. versions for the mini readathon .. give us lots to discuss (except .. it might hold us up if we were to do a word by word comparison :D)

I hope I won't end up frying them sausages... These books might seriously do a lot of damage to my diet and hopes of losing weight :blush::lol:

It'll definitely give you food lust .. but you have great resolve I know. They might be eating healthy snacks now anyway .. hummus and some crudites possibly :D 

Good luck with the bid!! But if you can't get the book via ebay, I suggest you check the library like chesilbeach recommended :)

I think they'd only have the modern version .. but if all else fails I will check. I definitely want to join in *waves hand in the air* .. please, please, let me join in :D

Modernised as in both I'm afraid. I read that there was a slapping incident that's been changed into a shaking incident .. even though it was made clear that slapping isn't the answer.  I hope they haven't modernised the things they ate at their midnight feasts .. wouldn't be right if they were all now eating Monster Munch or something. Think it will be interesting if we do read different .. or slightly different .. versions for the mini readathon .. give us lots to discuss (except .. it might hold us up if we were to do a word by word comparison )

Blast them modernisations!!   :7_mad:   It's going to make the read-a-long pretty difficult! I mean I won't get what you guys are referring to and vice versa. Unless we're doing a word by word comparison like you said :D And that would take ages :lol:

I'll probably be asking you guys a lot  of questions!

Monster Munch :D And drinking Red Bull! Staying up all night, all jazzed up from the energy in the drink :D 

It'll definitely give you food lust .. but you have great resolve I know. They might be eating healthy snacks now anyway .. hummus and some crudites possibly :D 

:D Carrot sticks and protein shakes etc! Nope, those won't be making me want to go eat something... 

I think they'd only have the modern version .. but if all else fails I will check. I definitely want to join in *waves hand in the air* .. please, please, let me join in :D

:D Still keeping my fingers crossed! Let us know what happens :)

Ooh .. Jeff played Cedric Diggory's Dad didn't he in Goblet of Fire

Yeah he did. I learned that from imdb. I haven't watched the movie :blush: But it's not quite the same as Roger Fenn... Roger is a music teacher who sings and stuff, and he has nice hair :blush::giggle2:

Martin Clumes is wonderful - in programmes with animals, but I loathed Men Behaving Badly  :7_mad:  Grrrrr hated it!!!!!! :drama:

Oooh, I want to watch Martin Clunes with animals!!! :( Doggies!! Where can I see them? Please BBC, send me DVDs. :blush: