Frankie reads 2015

frankie

I don't know if I usually like books that are very very sad, because they make on ... sad! :unsure::D But this one... I don't mind :blush:

The end was like, 

No you wouldn't, no, don't do it. Are you serious? No. No?!? Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!  :wibbly:  :cry2:

Yes .. exactly .. but then one also couldn't help being tremendously proud of him  :blush2:  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG OMG OMG!! I went to check my reserved books status online, just to see if some of the movies I'd reserved had arrived for me. Yep, two of them. But there was also a notice that a book had arrived for me. 

And it was My Madder Fatter Diary by Rae Earl! :exc: :exc: :exc: They've finally gotten their copy and put the library stickers on it and thus made it an official library book and now it's there, fresh from the 'library print' for me :exc::wub: I think I'm going to have to abandon A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon for the diary :blush:

I hope you enjoy My Madder Fatter Diary :)!

I know .. but I didn't think she was worth it!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, me either! :giggle2::devcat: Also,

I think Charles Darnay wasn't worth it, either!! He was boring. I don't know what Lucie saw in him. :rolleyes: 

I hope you enjoy My Madder Fatter Diary :)!

Thanks, I'm sure I shall :) 

Some of you probably know that I'm interested in bookish statistics and keep score, for example, of the ratio between books I've read by female authors and male authors etc, every year. 

Recently I've started noticing that I've been reading quite a few debut novels and I decided I shall start keeping score of my read debuts vs. non-debuts, as well. Another thing I've become curious about is to what (small?) extent do I read books by authors that have already passed on. 

(Some people have written books non-fictional books before their debut, novels, for example, Graeme Simsion, but I shall mark down his The Rosie Project as a debut, nonetheless. And Rae Earl's first book is her diary but I shall mark that down as a debut.)

So far this year: 

1. My First Murder by Leena Lehtolainen - non-debut, alive

2. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - debut, alive

3. The Book of You by Claire Kendal - debut, alive

4. Harmin paikka by Leena Lehtolainen - non-debut, alive

5. Landline by Rainbow Rowell - non-debut, alive

6. First Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton - non-debut, deceased

7. Second Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton - non-debut, deceased

8. Third Year at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton non-debut, deceased

9. Chasing the Dead by Tim Weaver - debut, alive 

10. The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom - non-debut, alive

11. Upper Fourth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton non-debut, deceased

12. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion - debut (novel), alive 

13. The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion - non-debut, alive

14. Mr Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom - non-debut, alive

15. My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl - debut, alive

16. In the Fifth at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton non-debut, deceased

17. OMG! Is This Actually My Life? Hattie Moore's Unbelievable Year! by Rae Earl - non-debut, alive

18. Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe - non-debut, alive

19. Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story by Andrea Bennett - debut, alive

20. The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane - debut, alive

21. Scent of a Killer by Kevin Lewis - non-debut, alive

22. Black Dog by Stephen Booth - debut, alive

Debuts: 8

Non-debuts: 14

Deceased: 5

Alive: 17

I love book statistics so this post was right up my alley :smile2:. You've read quite a few debut novels :). 5 deceased authors too (rip :( ). Very nice statistics! It never occured to me to look at these two things. It's a varied list of books you have read so far this year :).

I love book statistics so this post was right up my alley :smile2:. You've read quite a few debut novels :). 5 deceased authors too (rip :( ). Very nice statistics! It never occured to me to look at these two things. It's a varied list of books you have read so far this year :).

The number of debuts was smaller than I'd thought when I counted them up :D But it's still a fairly big number. And the five books were by the same deceased author, so I've been reading a lot of contemporary books this year. 

Edited by frankie

This post has not much to do with books, so my apologies for that, and you may now leave the thread :D

For those who stayed: I have excellent news! I got an e-mail from my professor today saying that my Bachelor's thesis is accepted and I got a 3 (out of 5) for it!!! :smile2: I thought I'd be lucky if I passed, didn't care about the grade that much... So I'm really, really pleased, and relieved and happy!!! 

I went for a celebratory walk and found my way to the charityshop, where I bought a book, Peter Franzén's Tumman veden päällä. It's an autobiographical novel by a Finnish actor, and I've read it before and it was surprisingly good, really good! I'm so happy I found a cheap copy for keeps :)

Then I went to the shopping mall to look for shoes. Noticed a new outlet... I'd heard they'd open a new outlet but me, I never even really knew what outlets are, not being much of a shopper, if not a book shopper. I saw signs for cheap prices and thought I'd go in to see if I could find shoes there. Didn't. 

On my way out... I found all the big boxes of DVD boxes... Oh boy :D I thought I'd look in real quick, because the prices were ranging from 1 to 3 to 5e. I first saw a Veronica Mars box set, for 3e and thought okay, I might want this... And then I realized the box contained all three seasons. Bargain! I saw the first season when it first aired in Finland and absolutely loved it... I did watch the second season but wasn't as impressed, but I want to give it another go. Kylie will be happy to hear this! 

Then I saw a copy of Perception, for only 1e and I had to have it. 

And then I spotted the second season of Girls... I think I've only seen the first season and caught a few eps from the latter part of the second season and I've been wanting to re-watch the first and watch the second season for some months now. But I was annoyed that I'd only found the second season...

But then BAM! I found the first season, too. Both for 1e per box. :exc:

Then I found the first season of The Office which is only like one of my most favorite series... 1e. 

And then, Dexter, the fifth season, for 1 freaking e!! Okay okay, I've only seen the first two seasons and so have to find the third and the fourth, but hello, for 1e I had to have it. 

Last but not least... I decided to take the plunge and see what the fuss is all about. I got the complete first & second seasons of Game of Thrones, in one box set, for 5e. 

:hide:  :hide:

I hardly ever buy DVDs but ... I thought I deserved a little splurge :blush: I don't know where to start with all these DVDs :D

Edited by frankie

Ooh, well done you! You totally deserved to buy yourself a treat, and I thoroughly approve of all of your purchases! :D

I knew you would! :D 

I went to the grocerystore again and well, I found a copy of Samoilla silmillä by the same Peter Franzén whose other book I bought earlier today :D Ss is the sequel to the book I've read and I've wanted to read it so bad! The new book at the store was only 3e, so of course I had to get it. 

The rest of my purchases were food produce, I promise :D Well I did buy a top that was on sale. Need new tops. 

I was really tempted to buy a toaster, too... I've been dreaming about a toaster for some months now... Found one that cost 15e, but it was one of those big ass ones, family sizes. :rolleyes: Sure, I can eat for a family, but ... not fast enough! The last two toasts will be cold by the time I get to them after the first two! :rolleyes::lol: 

I have to admit, that while I've enjoyed the little of Dickens I have read, I'm still a little hesitant to read more, but perhaps I could be tempted by A Tale of Two Cities after such a recommendation. :)

*Chants*  Group read, group read, group read...

?!  :D

Edit:  At some stage, not now when we're still doing Middlemarch!

Edited by Janet

Woohoo for celebratory shopping splurges!  :exc:

I particularly like that you found season 1 of the office. It's often not sold around other box sets because it's not really a box set, just one DVD. I have seasons 1-4 and 6 (someone stole/I lost my season 5 :( ) and I'm hoping at some point to buy the rest. The ones I did buy were over half off at a Best Buy sale. Ok I've rambled about nothing... :blush2:

I went to the grocerystore again and well, I found a copy of Samoilla silmillä by the same Peter Franzén whose other book I bought earlier today :D Ss is the sequel to the book I've read and I've wanted to read it so bad! The new book at the store was only 3e, so of course I had to get it. 

The rest of my purchases were food produce, I promise :D Well I did buy a top that was on sale. Need new tops. 

I was really tempted to buy a toaster, too... I've been dreaming about a toaster for some months now... Found one that cost 15e, but it was one of those big ass ones, family sizes. :rolleyes: Sure, I can eat for a family, but ... not fast enough! The last two toasts will be cold by the time I get to them after the first two! :rolleyes::lol:

Congrats on the new book :)! It's nice your supermarket has some non-food items too like books and clothing. In the Netherlands you can generally only find clothing in the bigger supermarkets. Smaller supermarkets do have some magazines and a few books (though usually not that cheap). I've never seen a toaster in a supermarket. When I was in the UK a few years ago we visited this big supermarket, I forgot what it was called exactly (was it maybe ASDA? I am unsure), and they had lots of video games and DVDs and clothing and lots of other non-food related items, a whole floor of them. It was pretty impressive. I love hearing and seeing what 'common' things, such as supermarkets, are like in other countries. I hope you will be able to find a nice toaster some time :). We got lucky with ours, it was the only one in Blokker that we liked and it was just the one that was on sale it turned out in the end.

I particularly like that you found season 1 of the office. It's often not sold around other box sets because it's not really a box set, just one DVD. I have seasons 1-4 and 6 (someone stole/I lost my season 5 :( ) and I'm hoping at some point to buy the rest. The ones I did buy were over half off at a Best Buy sale. Ok I've rambled about nothing... :blush2:

I am so sorry about you losing / someone stealing season 5 :(. I hope you will be able to find it again some time for a nice price.

Woohoo for celebratory shopping splurges!  :exc:

Well the outlet had box sets and DVDs all mixed together :) I guess I may have misused the word box set.... I guess it's one with multiple season DVDs? I have never really thought about the word, and I will have probably used the word box set for DVDs that only have that one season :blush: 

You've rambled about The Office and that's the best sort of ramble :D 

Congrats on the new book :)! It's nice your supermarket has some non-food items too like books and clothing. In the Netherlands you can generally only find clothing in the bigger supermarkets. Smaller supermarkets do have some magazines and a few books (though usually not that cheap). I've never seen a toaster in a supermarket. When I was in the UK a few years ago we visited this big supermarket, I forgot what it was called exactly (was it maybe ASDA? I am unsure), and they had lots of video games and DVDs and clothing and lots of other non-food related items, a whole floor of them. It was pretty impressive. I love hearing and seeing what 'common' things, such as supermarkets, are like in other countries. I hope you will be able to find a nice toaster some time :). We got lucky with ours, it was the only one in Blokker that we liked and it was just the one that was on sale it turned out in the end.

This particular one (yes, I should probably call it a supermarket and not a grocerystore) sells all kinds of things from food to DVDs, books, clothes, kitchen appliences, and even bikes. It's a big ass store :D 

I knew you would! :D

Our supermarkets sell books and clothes too .. or the larger stores do. It's a great temptation.  One pops in for some cheese and pops out with a bestseller and a floppy hat :D 

Aww .. so near :D Ah .. it was a 4 slot was it? .. they take up a lot of room don't they plus .. like you say .. not practical. You need a 2 slot :D

Our supermarkets sell books and clothes too .. or the larger stores do. It's a great temptation.  One pops in for some cheese and pops out with a bestseller and a floppy hat :D 

It's indeed a great temptation! :blush: But on the other hand, it's kind of nifty, too. I don't like shoe or clothes shopping, for instance, so finding something at the superstore, on my way to the grocery aisles, is a huge bonus :D And there are no shop keepers there to ask me if I need help, and then keep looking at me from the register as I walk along the shop... :D

Aww .. so near :D Ah .. it was a 4 slot was it? .. they take up a lot of room don't they plus .. like you say .. not practical. You need a 2 slot :D

Yep, one of those 4 slot ones. :( Huge! The 2 slot ones are huge too, these days. I had a small one back in Joensuu :( I regret not taking it with me :(

Went to the outlet today to see if they had toasters but no luck. Was a good girl and didn't buy anything else, either :cool:

I am so sorry about you losing / someone stealing season 5 :(. I hope you will be able to find it again some time for a nice price.

Thanks :) That's the trouble with living in a dorm. I either lent it to someone and it wasn't returned or someone just took it. :shrug: that's why I have Netflix

Well the outlet had box sets and DVDs all mixed together :) I guess I may have misused the word box set.... I guess it's one with multiple season DVDs? I have never really thought about the word, and I will have probably used the word box set for DVDs that only have that one season :blush:

You've rambled about The Office and that's the best sort of ramble :D

I've never really thought about it either. I guess I called the one season a box set because it comes in a little box :lol:

Frankie

I see you have read She's Come Undone . I'm so glad you liked it so much !

It was really great, I'm really glad I read it! It's all thanks to the BCF members who've talked about Lamb :) I'm definitely going to try some of his other novels in the future :)

I've never really thought about it either. I guess I called the one season a box set because it comes in a little box :lol:

:D Box, box set, DVD, whatever... The important thing is to have The Office :D (Although crap to the people who don't return them once they're borrowed and watched. Not cool!!  :motz:  )

#25.  His Other Life by Beth Thomas

Blurb: Grace's new husband Adam seems like the perfect package. Good looking, great job, completely charming – almost too good to be true. So when Adam suddenly disappears from Grace's life she is left bewildered and heartbroken.

As she tries desperately to find him, Grace opens a Pandora's Box of secrets and lies – and starts to learn that Adam wasn't so perfect at all.

What shameful secrets is her husband hiding? Is Grace in danger? And can she survive the truth, however terrible it may be...?

Thoughts: I borrowed this from the library after I noticed it in their new titles section and because I liked the sound of the blurb.

How to begin... I can't say I was hooked right from the start. The protagonist was acting in a weird manner and I almost stopped reading there. I continued, however, and then it was all explained. Didn't make any more sense to me, because I thought it was so … unbelievable. Not credible at all.

The characters were one-dimensional. They weren't credible, any of them, and I didn't care for any of them, either. Most of the twists were predictable, excluding that one big one but at that point I was already so sick and tired of the book that even that didn't save the novel for me.

And the dialogue... It was cringe-worthy at times. And the protagonist was really thick in the head at times, I wanted to tell her to shut up and realize the obvious thing. I cannot say how many times I rolled my eyes while reading this book. I cannot say how many times I said 'Oh. My. God.', out loud, with utter disbelief and boredom.

I think the only thing that kept me going was that I'd read past 200 pages when I realized this wouldn't be a 2/5  but a 1/5 book, and so I didn't want to abandon it. And I did want to know what was Adam's deal. Also, it helped that I've been watching Veronica Mars and in that series Max Greenfield plays a deputy or something, and so I pictured him as the police officer in this novel. Thank you Max Greenfield, thank you Veronica Mars, you made it a tiny bit bearable. 

437818_original.jpg

1/5

Edited by frankie