Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

Ha - brilliant, scathing review of the Reacher kindle single! I do love negative reviews. They are much easier to write and more entertaining to read I find. And also good for the size of the wishlist and TBR pile ;)

I agree, they can be very fun to read :giggle2:

Now we just have to pick a CRH!  We should have done Delirium together... would've worked well for a group read too, I think.

I have full confidence in the new Reacher ;)

Yep :D!

And true, I think it would have.

Good :D.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you liked Delirium.  I absolutely loved it and the second book in the trilogy.

Did you enjoy the whole trilogy?  I just finished Pandemonium.  I don't know if I want to go through the 3rd.

Pandemonium (Delirium Series Book 2)- Lauren Oliver (337 pages)

Around page 170, it becomes clear that this isn’t just any YA Dystopian series.  The writing in Lauren Oliver’s slow moving but oddly entertaining Delirium series gets really good as Oliver faces a unique problem.  The problem she faces is Pandemonium is mostly about one character, Lena, from the first book.  But Oliver makes it work.  To say more spoils the book, I can’t describe the plot, other than to say, about 3/4 through book one, I wasn’t sure I wanted to continue with the series.  I am glad I read this second book, book 3 looks good so far in the sample.

I think it’s safe to say I read a lot of YA dystopian or adult dystopian, so I have to stress the uniqueness in this series.  These are normal people.  Not all Tris and Four or June and Day, I can’t even compare Lena with Katniss, as Katniss at least had survival skills and her arrows.  They are more like  1984's Winston and Julia.  Pandemonium’s Lena is not street smart, not particularly graceful it’s not a part of her character but a driving force behind her actions. 

I think the most amazing part of this book is more than half of it takes place in a dank prison cell, and the story still continues and in an interesting style of “now” and “then” chapters... but Oliver doesn't rely on this method as the past catches up with the present.  The end left me with a feeling of dread.

Book 1 and 2 recommended, Book 1 is stand alone.

The Kingmaker’s Daughter (Cousins War series book 4)- Philippa Gregory

Book 4 in Philippa Gregory’s Cousins War series continues with the story of Anne Neville, second daughter of Richard Neville, the Earl of Warwick- known as The Kingmaker for backing the men who will become King during the Cousins War (War of Roses).  He backs Richard III, but before Richard becomes Richard III, the future King swears love to Anne Neville and marries her. 

Again, Margaret of Anjou makes an appearance in the push of her son Edward to the throne but plays only a small role, the book focusing on Anne (hence, the Kingmaker’s Daughter).  Elizabeth Woodville has a huge part, as does the lead up to the next Gregory novel, Elizabeth of York (The White Princess).

Anne Neville- a little known figure in history- is given an excellent character and personality in this book, Gregory creating a complex figure, as always (in the Author’s Note, she credits Historian Michael Hicks).  Isabel, Anne’s sister, is well represented and complex.  Once again, told in the first person, Gregory tells the gripping story of one of England’s strong female players, as well as the other women already in the series- Lady Rivers, Elizabeth Woodville, Princess Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret Beaufort.  Through trials and hardship, Anne preservers, sometimes because of her doing and sometimes by pure luck.

He does not speak to me, but folds me in his arms and holds me tightly to him, as if the pain can be lessened by putting two hearts close to one another.  It does not help. 

Each book can stand alone, books rated would be The White Queen tied with The Red Queen, The Kingmaker’s Daughter and Lady of the Rivers.  I have two more left.  Series of six.

Did you enjoy the whole trilogy?  I just finished Pandemonium.  I don't know if I want to go through the 3rd.

To be honest, I didn't like Requiem nearly as much as I did the first two.   I just wanted things to end differently.  But I had a friend who thought it ended perfectly.  I guess it's just a matter of taste and preference.  Maybe you should read it though, so you will have closure with the characters.  I'm curious to see what your take is on it.

To be honest, I didn't like Requiem nearly as much as I did the first two.   I just wanted things to end differently.  But I had a friend who thought it ended perfectly.  I guess it's just a matter of taste and preference.  Maybe you should read it though, so you will have closure with the characters.  I'm curious to see what your take is on it.

Oh, I can't wait then :D

Total Recall- Phillip K Dick (30 pages)

PKD’s dim futuristic Total Recall is a mind bender.  Taking up only 30 pages, this short story became the nearly 2 hour movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.   It is classic Dick and is/would be a good a good introduction to his work.  I loved the twist and the who, what, and the why, when.  It's amazing how this man can set up as many worlds as needed to create a story, I love reading the clash between reality/ non reality.

Douglas Quail, an unfulfilled bureaucrat who dreams of visiting Mars, but can't afford the trip. Luckily, there is Rekal Incorporated, a company that lets everyday stiffs believe they’ve been on incredible adventures. The only problem is that when technicians attempt a memory implant of a spy mission to Mars, they find that real memories of just such a trip are already in Quail's brain. Suddenly, Quail is running for his life from government agents, but his memories might make him more of a liability than he is worth. Originally published as "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale."

Seriously only 30 pages??? :thud: How did he fit that whole story into only 30 pages?!

He is so... strange :P And he lets a lot of it happen in the reader's mind.

Oooh I've heard of the film Total Recall, but didn't know it was based on a short story. Might check out the story.

Have fun if you do!  I find his stories (so far), a lot of fun :)

I thought the original PKD story was called We Can Remember It for You Wholesale?  Have the publishers gone and changed it because of the movie? :unsure:

It might have been even worse and might have been a release for the *new* Total Recall with Colin Farrell. :P  I noticed in some of the short story omnibus, it's included as Wholesale.  But all the covers are the same format. 

I noticed in some of the short story omnibus, it's included as Wholesale.  But all the covers are the same format. 

So some of them give it its correct title, and others call it Total Recall?  That's bizarre :lol:

So some of them give it its correct title, and others call it Total Recall?  That's bizarre :lol:

Yup!  I didn't really know that much about the story, other than I like PKD, so I bought it not knowing the original title.  I still don't know if I'd want a 400- 600 page omnibus though!

Eddie and Sunny- Stacey Cochran (211 pages)

This story was a wow for me.  I randomly downloaded it after reading the synopsis, thinking its length would be good for a read a thon and was something I would probably not read on my own.  I was wrong.  I was REALLY wrong.  This book was just… I don’t know!  So Mickey and Mallory Knox, so Bonnie and Clyde and yet, reminded me of The Winter’s Bone.  Such a powerful love story in such a small amount of time.  I really enjoyed reading every page of this book.

Eddie and Sunny have never had anything in life save for each other's love. For months they've lived out of their car with their young son, and the stress of it all has driven pregnant Sunny to the point she wants to ditch Eddie and her kid and vanish from the life Eddie's tried so futilely to build for them in rural North Carolina. 

When they stop at an abandoned service station, the point is just to survive another night in their car. But inside they discover a marijuana grow operation, cash, and a stockpile of weapons. As they leave, the owners arrive and Sunny is forced to shoot the dealers to save her family. Eddie and Sunny become fugitives of the law and while on the run they become separated with Sunny believing Eddie murdered. 

Total Recall- Phillip K Dick (30 pages)

PKD’s dim futuristic Total Recall is a mind bender.  Taking up only 30 pages, this short story became the nearly 2 hour movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.   It is classic Dick and is/would be a good a good introduction to his work.  I loved the twist and the who, what, and the why, when.  It's amazing how this man can set up as many worlds as needed to create a story, I love reading the clash between reality/ non reality.

Oh, wow, I had no idea that Total Recall was based on a (very) short Phillip K Dick story, might have to check this out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Anna.

There's nothing better than picking up a book on a whim and finding out that you absolutely love it. I'm glad you found a treat.

Thank you!

Nice reviews, I'm glad you enjoyed both Total Recall and Eddie and Sunny, both sound so good! It is nice to 'randomly' come across a book and then you end up really liking it :).

Well, you know I always like PKD, but Eddie and Sunny was a nice surprise!

Oh, wow, I had no idea that Total Recall was based on a (very) short Phillip K Dick story, might have to check this out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Anna.

You are welcome!  I hope you enjoy it if/ when you read it!  I believe it was only a dollar.  Everyone who found out I was reading it said "Oh- is that the one where he goes to Mars?"  and made a face!  :o  I've never seen the movie so I wouldn't know, but its a great little story!

You are welcome!  I hope you enjoy it if/ when you read it!  I believe it was only a dollar.  Everyone who found out I was reading it said "Oh- is that the one where he goes to Mars?"  and made a face!  :o  I've never seen the movie so I wouldn't know, but its a great little story!

Quick Google shows it on Amazon UK as part of a short story collection for £5.99. I'm sure it's probably freely available elsewhere as it's so short - so I imagine I'll get around to it at some stage. Haha! It definitely sounds right up my street.

Quick Google shows it on Amazon UK as part of a short story collection for £5.99. I'm sure it's probably freely available elsewhere as it's so short - so I imagine I'll get around to it at some stage. Haha! It definitely sounds right up my street.

He also wrote Minority Report, so that might be included as well!

Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall (270 pages)

Sugar Legowski-Gracia wasn’t always fat, but fat is what she is now at age seventeen. Not as fat as her mama, who is so big she hasn’t gotten out of bed in months. Not as heavy as her brother, Skunk, who has more meanness in him than fat, which is saying something. But she’s large enough to be the object of ridicule wherever she is: at the grocery store, walking down the street, at school. Sugar’s life is dictated by taking care of Mama in their run-down home—cooking, shopping, and, well, eating. A lot of eating, which Sugar hates as much as she loves.

When Sugar meets Even, she has the new experience of someone seeing her and not her body.

This is a highly emotional story.  I cried almost the whole way.  I feel fortunate to have read such good books in the last few days, this one is definitely one of those.  It’s a touching story of a teenager finding herself and also a love story.  I feel like I’ve been on a journey with this character, a journey through the roughest time in her life.  Sometimes, I pretend that the book was written by the character, many years later, reflecting back.  And as Sugar’s story is told, it is told as if she is already above the experiences she lives through in the book, that they are beyond her.  Which is an interesting thought- did the author do that intentionally to show that Sugar is above all the bulling?  This book reminded me of some of the self-discovery in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Some of the characterization and motives I thought were badly executed, but on the surface, a good YA story.