Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

Hmmm, it's borderline I think, Muggles. I removed my paragraph that was entirely about disorders because yes that was unrelated to the book, but the rest of the discussion is related to the influence of the book itself, so I *think* its okay?

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I haven't read the book, but it seems like an attempt at partially satire of anorexic culture and partially political statement about it that failed. Meant to make it obvious that women aren't meant to be objects seeking to be perfect, but instead those searching for perfect body image took it as a sign that what they are doing is good for them. 

It's a dystopian caricature of the world we actually live in, exaggerating the objectification of women as objects for the use of men (begun as a population control method at the end of the world), and the myriad issues that arise in terms of mental and physical health when women are schooled to meet these unrealistic ideals. I didn't think it failed at all, but Anna has a very different perspective which made it quite an affective read for her.

Anna, I will try again in my recommendation to you of "Memory Man" by David Baldacci. It is really a good book that I believe you will enjoy. I couldn't put the book down once I started to read it.

MEMORY MAN

Amos Decker's life changed forever--twice.

The first time was on the gridiron. A big, towering athlete, he was the only person from his hometown of Burlington ever to go pro. But his career ended before it had a chance to begin. On his very first play, a violent helmet-to-helmet collision knocked him off the field for good, and left him with an improbable side effect--he can never forget anything.

The second time was at home nearly two decades later. Now a police detective, Decker returned from a stakeout one evening and entered a nightmare--his wife, young daughter, and brother-in-law had been murdered.
His family destroyed, their killer's identity as mysterious as the motive behind the crime, and unable to forget a single detail from that horrible night, Decker finds his world collapsing around him. He leaves the police force, loses his home, and winds up on the street, taking piecemeal jobs as a private investigator when he can.

But over a year later, a man turns himself in to the police and confesses to the murders. At the same time a horrific event nearly brings Burlington to its knees, and Decker is called back in to help with this investigation. Decker also seizes his chance to learn what really happened to his family that night. To uncover the stunning truth, he must use his remarkable gifts and confront the burdens that go along with them. He must endure the memories he would much rather forget. And he may have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

MEMORY MAN will stay with you long after the turn of the final page.

Hmm, that's an interesting viewpoint and certainly not invalid, but at the same time,

[snip]

I will snip it here too :smile: Points made.

I didn't think it failed at all, but Anna has a very different perspective which made it quite an affective read for her.

I did say I would recommend it though, as I think it was an amazing world and very well written, just as long as I knew the person I was recommending it to.  I was just unprepared for all the

calorie counts, making your collar bones pop out, and only purple food diets, etc. (which is a real thing, believe it or not)

I did want to say though, that as much as I think it was irresponsible, I would never not want to see a book published, especially a controversial one.

Purple?! What does that even include? Cabbage and, er.... The purple one in the quality street tin?!

It sounds like a very interesting read though and one I would definitely like to read some day. I found the discussion really interesting.

Anna, I will try again in my recommendation to you of "Memory Man" by David Baldacci. It is really a good book that I believe you will enjoy. I couldn't put the book down once I started to read it.

MEMORY MAN

MEMORY MAN will stay with you long after the turn of the final page.

I saw a flyer that David Baldacci was going to be at a bookstore signing in Amsterdam, this month, I believe :)  I instantly thought of you!

Purple?! What does that even include? Cabbage and, er.... The purple one in the quality street tin?!

It sounds like a very interesting read though and one I would definitely like to read some day. I found the discussion really interesting.

lol

the most random foods possible- plums, grapes, yes, cabbage! Um... that's about it!

Thanks!  And thanks Noll :) Book discussions are awesome :readingtwo:

I still can't post book cover photo's :banghead:

Title: The Fever

Author: Megan Abbott

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: 321

Dates: 6/7- 6/12

Something is making teen girls sick in the small town of Dyden.  It starts with a circle of friends, with just the main character, Deenie, mysteriously not becoming afflicted with the disease.  Could it be the late night swim they took in a banned algee filled lake?  Then more girls at the school get sick.  Or is it something other than the lake?  Megan Abbott has a pretty smooth story going with this one, although it could have been about 50- 60 pages shorter.  It was a good story though, one that lead up to the conclusion in an obvious way, but it was interesting to see how it played out.  Lost it's thread about 80% in and was a little rough, but recovered ok.  Held my attention and I would have finished two days ago, but had jet lag, so if not for that, I could have easily finished it in a few days.  Good YA book, good on the creepiness factor.  A first for me with this author.  The characters are well developed, the dialogue and motivations of the characters make sense and the story is a good one. 

I copy the image link (using the [ img ] tags), I usually use GoodReads but if they don't have the right cover, then I use Google and find a site that does.

Great review, I'm glad you liked the book :).

I copy the image link (using the [ img ] tags), I usually use GoodReads but if they don't have the right cover, then I use Google and find a site that does.

Great review, I'm glad you liked the book :).

Yes I do this same thing. I use goodreads, because sometimes on google when you try to post it will say the image source is not permitted or something like that. To copy the image link, just right click or ctrl + click on a mac and then choose copy image url, if you didn't already know how to do that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Title: Born on the Fourth of July

Author: Ron Kovic

Genre: Autobiography

Pages: 225

Dates: 7/3- 7/5

This book tells the story of American Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic and was also made into a movie with an amazing performance by Tom Cruise.  Being that it was the 4th of July, Independence Day in the US, I decided to read this book about the life of pacifist Ron Kovic.

Told in both first and second person in alternating chapters and events, the memoir is more about Kovic’s mind set and trauma from his paralysis than war.  Actually, it is more a testament to peace.  War only takes up a few chapters and is integral to the story- but the aftermath of Vietnam takes center stage for Kovic’s actions and feelings in the book.  Great book, some graphic images (that can be imagined with this type of book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBADjCeFnuU

Second person? I've only seen that once in a book (and that was an information book about writing, illustrating why the perspective doesn't work so well). I'm glad you enjoyed the book :). Pretty special to read it on the 4th of July!

Second person? I've only seen that once in a book (and that was an information book about writing, illustrating why the perspective doesn't work so well). I'm glad you enjoyed the book :). Pretty special to read it on the 4th of July!

Well, he will write like, he went into the store... so I guess I am wrong and that is 3rd *blush*

Well, he will write like, he went into the store... so I guess I am wrong and that is 3rd *blush*

Yes, second person is like "you went into the store, and you bought milk.". Don't worry, I thought third person might have been what you meant as second person is hardly ever seen in books.

Yes, second person is like "you went into the store, and you bought milk.". Don't worry, I thought third person might have been what you meant as second person is hardly ever seen in books.

Ya, and it makes it worse that I know this lol too much history in my brain!

I read a book recently that featured some second person writing. Quite a few chapters throughout the second half of the novel. It worked exceptionally well, but I can see how writing a whole novel that way would be tough.

Ya, and it makes it worse that I know this lol too much history in my brain!

That makes sense, but don't feel too bad :friends0:.

I read a book recently that featured some second person writing. Quite a few chapters throughout the second half of the novel. It worked exceptionally well, but I can see how writing a whole novel that way would be tough.

Oh wow, you don't often see that! I've never read a book with that perspective, other than the book about writing that I mentioned. I'd have to look up the exact title, I believe I haven't read the whole book yet, I just read the first few sections.

The book I read was I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh (one of the best thrillers I've read this year, despite the slow start) and yeah it has the main character speaking in first person, someone else speaking in second person to the main character (in a monologue - you did this and we did that), and also third person narrating the actions of the cops :lol: All of the persons! :giggle:

Title: Firefight (The Reckoners Book 2)

Author: Brandon Sanderson

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: 421

Dates: 7/6- 7/9

Brandon Sanderson’s The Reckoners series continues with book 2, Firefight.  Wow.  I don’t even know where to start with this review.  This was a terrible book!

It picks up with protagonist teenager David (Epic killing Reckoner, Steelheart- slayer) just after Sanderson’s short story Mitosis.  (You don’t have to read Mitosis to make sense of Firefight, but it’s only 95 pages and is worth it.)  I pre-ordered Firefight, my first pre-order, just after reading Steelheart last year and eagerly awaited January for its release.  For some reason, I am just now getting around to reading it.  Mitosis was good and left me anticipating this book.

So David kills Epics and Epics are people with supernatural skills that have been bestowed on them, how or by what, we do not know.  But they are bad guys.  They create destruction and rule the “old” cities of the United States under tyranny.  The Reckoners slay them.  In Firefight, they enter Babylon Restored, formerly known as Manhattan, to kill High Epic Regalia. David goes along with the mission and keeps an eye out for ex- Reckoner Megan: the girl he fell in love with in Steelheart... and herself a now known Epic.

This book was filled with silliness.  I realize it is YA, but it really dumbs down the audience.  I can’t give any particulars without giving out the plot twists, which aren’t many and are not twists.  From ridiculous weapons to the secret of the Epics, it just didn’t congeal.  For a 13-15 year old boy?  I’m not so sure about that either.  I think this is my worst read of the year.  At least it read fast. 

Calamity is slated for February next year.

Ya but you know, I will probably be reading Calamity next year :giggle2:

Haha :giggle2:! Do you know if Calamity will be the last book in the series? Brandon Sanderson certainly has a lot of series ongoing (that he's writing) :P. But so far I've loved all the books I've read by him.