Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

How are you doing with Take Me With You?

Hi Muggle- thanks for asking :)  It's going a little slow because I have so much school right now (2 essays due and a test on Thursday + a speech!).  I'm really liking it though, I am

right where he is going to give the kids back, after the intervention. About 55%.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title: Take Me With You

Author: Catherine Ryan Hyde

Genre: YA?  But contemporary fiction.

Pages: 351

It’s like Catherine Ryan Hyde can attack all your emotions at once.  You must surrender your vulnerability.  You will submit to the human emotions that make up a CRH novel.  You ever get those moments in a book where your tears overrun your eyes and they stream down your cheeks?  Ya, this is Catherine Ryan Hyde and that’s all that should be said.  Take Me With You is the story of August, who breaks down in his camper in the middle of nowhere and ends up taking the mechanic’s children with him on a summer of adventure to the national parks of the southwest and central parts of the United States.  He is on a mission to scatter the remains of his dead son.  That’s about 50% and I don’t know how much the Amazon, let alone the Goodreads, synopsis is, but I like to write my own and not spoil everything.  I don’t feel like anything else of the plot should be given away.   Is that an easy out?  Perhaps, but one I am able to grant for most novels  :)

I must say, if you are looking for a first novel from CRH, I recommend Don’t Let Me Go, but wow, this one is a gentle way to introduce a reader to her work.  You know which way the author is going, it’s the getting there, the journey that is the event.  CRH constantly brings up deep seeded emotions, ones you could fathom, but didn’t know existed.  She consistently makes people known for their importance in her character’s lives, this book bringing to me a reminder of my brother who passed away in 2006.  Recommended, wish I had read it sooner, as always, CRH novels make my life richer.  Another Bravo for Catherine Ryan Hyde.

I really must read some of her books. I've heard so many good things about her. :readingtwo:

Yes, spread the CRH love :wub:

Your next read of CRH is recommended to be Where We Belong. It is a favorite of mine, and I believe, Athena's.

I think it will, either Where We Belong or The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance (my Christmas present :) )  I think I even got it on a deal, so I already own it   :readingtwo:

I need to read some more of hers, I've still only read two!

You've done Jumpstart the World and which else?

I bought Second Hand Heart by CRH this week, coincidentally in the second hand shop! Has anyone read this one? I saw the author and remembered her being mentioned here and thought it may be worth a punt for 59p? :)

That one is on my TBR too :)  I haven't read a bad book by her yet... I hope you enjoy it!

I think it will, either Where We Belong or The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance (my Christmas present :) )  I think I even got it on a deal, so I already own it   :readingtwo:

I read both. :) I give the edge to Where We Belong. :P

Don't Let Me Go :)

The best (so far)!  But geez, that is a hard choice!  I really liked Take Me With You.  In hindsight, its much better than when I actually read it even.

Title: The White Queen (Cousins War series book 1)

Author: Philippa Gregory

Genre: Historical Fiction

Pages: 436

Dates: 7/17- 7/23

Historian and author Philippa Gregory uses her talents well in the Cousins War series, starting off with The White Queen; a love story, a story of battles, of loyalty and betrayal.  In the first of a series of six, Gregory begins with Elizabeth Woodville and Edward IV.  It was a delightful read, especially if the history behind the fiction is known.  Well done on the ending as well, I was smiling with the cleverness of it in the last 20- 30% as Gregory uses many theories of The Princes in the Tower to her disposal.  Gregory, I must admit, lives up to her historical fiction reputation, this book was exciting from page one, and held my interest tightly.  I couldn’t wait to find out how Gregory would tie things together and make sense of others.  She does a beautiful job, capturing the imagination as she writes.  Highly recommended. 

From Amazon:

Elizabeth Woodville is a woman of extraordinary beauty and ambition. Her mother is Jacquetta, also known as the mystical lady of the rivers, and she is even more determined to bring power and wealth to the family line. While riding in the woods one day, Elizabeth captures the attentions of the newly crowned King Edward IV and, despite her common upbringing, marries him in secret.

When she is raised up to be his queen, the English court is outraged, but Elizabeth rises to the demands of her exalted position and fights for her family’s dominance. Yet despite her best efforts, and even with the help of her mother’s powers, her two sons become pawns in a famous unsolved mystery that has confounded historians for centuries: the lost princes in the Tower of London.

Title: Holes

Author: Louis Sachar

Genre: YA

Pages: 241

Teenager Stanley Yelnats IV (spelled the same backwards and forwards) is convicted of a crime he didn’t commit and is given a choice: Jail or Camp Green Lake.  Impoverished, Stanley choses the camp, seeing it as the better of the two.  When he arrives in a desert hell, where all the boys dig five feet holes in the broiling sun, he changes his mind real quick. 

A lot of these books have a Lord of the Flies feel.  This one had an element of caring and vulnerability that sets it apart.  Easy to read, I finished it in a day, you really do want to find out what happens to Stanley.  His character could have had more depth and motivation for his actions, and the ending felt rushed.  But on the whole, a good read for an otherwise uneventful day!

Have you seen the movie of Holes? It's awesome. :D

No, I haven't, but I've heard it is good!  I should definitely watch it!

This sounds like a good read! I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

It was, Thank you!

Title: The Red Queen (Cousins War Series Book 2)

Pages: 404

In The Red Queen, Philippa Gregory brings color to the life of Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII.  It could be a stand alone, but why? :) This series is such a delight to read and enjoy that book 1, The White Queen, automatically leads to book 2.  The Red Queen doesn’t disappoint, it might even be better than The White Queen.  Pious and guided by the Lord, Margaret Beaufort spends the book promoting her son, Henry Tudor and belittling Elizabeth Woodville, Edward IV’s queen.  When the two form a rocky alliance, will Tudor succeed in The Red Queen

The TV show says “Men go to Battle, Women wage War.”  That is an apt slogan for this series, which focuses six powerful women during the War of the Roses.

From Amazon:

Margaret Beaufort never surrenders her belief that her Lancaster house is the true ruler of England, and that she has a great destiny before her. Married to a man twice her age, quickly widowed, and a mother at only fourteen, Margaret is determined to turn her lonely life into a triumph. She sets her heart on putting her son on the throne of England regardless of the cost to herself, to England, and even to the little boy. Disregarding rival heirs and the overwhelming power of the York dynasty, she names him Henry, like the king; sends him into exile; and pledges him in marriage to her enemy’s daughter. As the political tides constantly move and shift, Margaret masterminds one of the greatest rebellions of all time—all the while knowing that her son has grown to manhood, recruited an army, and awaits his opportunity to win the greatest prize in all of England.

The Red Queen
is a novel of conspiracy, passion, and coldhearted ambition, the story of a proud and determined woman who believes that she alone is destined, by her piety and lineage, to shape the course of history.

Title: Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Author: Truman Copote

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 111

Oh my, I have been waiting to read Breakfast at Tiffany’s for a loooong time.  I loved In Cold Blood and have always wanted to read more of Truman Capote’s work.  I was especially intrigued by the differences in genre and scope of his work and Breakfast at Tiffany's was a gem.  Holly Golightly is a wonderful character, tumbling around Manhattan in a little black dress and pearls, living on cottage cheese and Melba toasts.  I was surprised at how short the story actually is and that it actually has little to do with Tiffany's.  My edition came with 3 other short stories, I have yet to get to them (House of Flowers, Diamond Guitar and A Christmas Memory).  I loved this little tale of Holly and the delight is at the end, when all of Holly’s secrets are revealed.  Or are they?  Mysterious and definitely memorable, I highly recommend an hour or two with the character that is Holly Golightly (Traveling).

I'm so glad you enjoyed Holes! :smile2: And glad to hear that you want to watch the movie, I want to watch it, too! When I posted my review on my log, people didn't seem as keen on the movie... So I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who wants to see it! :)

Title: Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Author: Truman Copote

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 111

Oh my, I have been waiting to read Breakfast at Tiffany’s for a loooong time.  I loved In Cold Blood and have always wanted to read more of Truman Capote’s work.  I was especially intrigued by the differences in genre and scope of his work and Breakfast at Tiffany's was a gem.  Holly Golightly is a wonderful character, tumbling around Manhattan in a little black dress and pearls, living on cottage cheese and Melba toasts.  I was surprised at how short the story actually is and that it actually has little to do with Tiffany's.  My edition came with 3 other short stories, I have yet to get to them (House of Flowers, Diamond Guitar and A Christmas Memory).  I loved this little tale of Holly and the delight is at the end, when all of Holly’s secrets are revealed.  Or are they?  Mysterious and definitely memorable, I highly recommend an hour or two with the character that is Holly Golightly (Traveling).

Great review! :smile2: Like you, I was just as intrigued by how Capote managed to write so well and engagingly two very different books in very different genres. 

As you are an American, and you mentioned Melba toast, I'm really curious and want to ask you if you know what it means and where did you find out about it? I'd heard of it somewhere and when I was reading my American idioms dictionary, I found the explanation there :D 

I'm so glad you enjoyed Holes! :smile2: And glad to hear that you want to watch the movie, I want to watch it, too! When I posted my review on my log, people didn't seem as keen on the movie... So I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who wants to see it! :)

Great review! :smile2: Like you, I was just as intrigued by how Capote managed to write so well and engagingly two very different books in very different genres. 

As you are an American, and you mentioned Melba toast, I'm really curious and want to ask you if you know what it means and where did you find out about it? I'd heard of it somewhere and when I was reading my American idioms dictionary, I found the explanation there :D

Sure!  Melba toasts and cottage cheese were a popular diet food in the US (and still are to me!).  They are a flat piece of hard bread, sort of like a cracker but shaped more like a small rice cake.  They taste sort of like a bland crouton.  Wiki tells me it was the Mayo brothers in the 1920's that started the Melba toast "diet".  I like them, I think they are good.  :)  Have you read any more of Capote's work? 

I watched the trailer for Holes.  I think it looks like a good interpretation of the book!  Gotta see Breakfast at Tiffany's now too though ;)

Edited by Anna Begins

Title: The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War Series Book 3)

Pages: 513

Finished 8/7/15

Philippa Gregory gives us wonderful insight to Margaret Anjou, by portraying Jacquetta Rivers, Duchess of Bedford, who serves Anjou, in the heart of Henry VI’s royal court.  Jacquetta is also the mother of the beautiful Elizabeth (Woodville) Grey, who will fall madly in love with Edward IV, becoming his Queen in The White Queen.  While Jacquetta’s story is compelling and she is charismatic, it is a distinct pick up in the book when Margaret of Anjou is featured more and the more she is, the better the book becomes.  It is as if Jacquetta becomes a vessel for the telling of Margaret of Anjou’s story, but Jacquetta has a solid tale to match the Queen’s. 

One thing I should have mentioned long ago, these books are written in first person, from the women’s perspectives.  It was refreshing and caught me off guard right away in the first book.  It continues to be a brilliant way of storytelling on Gregory’s part.  It is also in this way, we feel like we are getting a first- hand account of these events and not fiction of history.  It helps lend credence to the gaps Gregory has filled in.  Book 3 was not as amazing as 1 or 2 but still a great part of the series. 

Anne Neville is the focus of book 4, of which I am looking forward to and have already purchased.

Melba toast was one of the few references I did get in the book, because we have that too :giggle2:. If they are the same thing, at least, but that's what it says on the packaging.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Philippa Gregory books :)! Great review!