Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

I just wanted to jump in and say I loved Don't Let Me Go. It was my first book by Catherine Ryan Hyde and I would say, after reading a couple more by her, it's definitely a good one to start with :)

I know literally nothing about her books except that there seem to be lots of them haha, so I'm looking forward to checking her out.

And yes, Anna, that book sounds seriously intense, and definitely not the kind of thing I would normally pick up, but I dunno... sounds like it might be a good experience in awareness.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a very interesting book, but also a very depressing one. I would like it because it would make me think a lot, but also wouldn't like it because it would be so tough to read and realize that people are actually living like that in the world. 

I know literally nothing about her books except that there seem to be lots of them haha, so I'm looking forward to checking her out.

And yes, Anna, that book sounds seriously intense, and definitely not the kind of thing I would normally pick up, but I dunno... sounds like it might be a good experience in awareness.

That sounds like a very interesting book, but also a very depressing one. I would like it because it would make me think a lot, but also wouldn't like it because it would be so tough to read and realize that people are actually living like that in the world. 

You know, it was actually well beyond my awareness.  I mean, of course, I know basically about what happened in Rwanda and the secular violence between Muslims and Christians, but this was... wow.  I feel like I have lived a life with this book that I do not understand.  And the more distance I have with it, the more I am seeing the value in the experience I had with it.

Oprah picked it though :P

I didn't do a quarterly report for my reading, because I haven't read much.  But I guess I just wanted to post that, while I have read little this year so far, lots of short stories, but everything I have read has been extreme in it's genre.

To April 1st

17 short stories

13 books

4,030 pages

I'm glad you read some nice books. I'm sorry the past while has been difficult for you, reading wise (particularly the last few months of last year). I hope you will be able to read some more nice books in the rest of the year :).

It was difficult, but lead me to read more on the history of Rwanda's genocide.  Which, I guess, is the purpose of the book.  It was the last story, about 30 pages, that is one of those literary stories that have changed my life.

I've read very little about Africa at all, but coincidentally, the book I've just started is a memoir of a woman who was in South Africa before and during apartheid, and she worked with organisations opposed to apartheid and her husband was under house arrest, and then was acquitted at the Riviona Trial where Mandela was sentenced to life imprisonment.

I'm glad you read some nice books. I'm sorry the past while has been difficult for you, reading wise (particularly the last few months of last year). I hope you will be able to read some more nice books in the rest of the year :).

I am hoping to pick up the speed soon.  I planned on a lot of books this month but now that I'm doing World Without End, It might just be a few... but since I am coming to Amsterdam on my vacation next month ( ;) ) I will have at least some time to read, being a solo trip.

Sounds fascinating and disturbing in equal measure. I've added it to the wish list though...

I hope you do get to it, I think you'd be greatly affected by the historical point of view.

I've read very little about Africa at all, but coincidentally, the book I've just started is a memoir of a woman who was in South Africa before and during apartheid, and she worked with organisations opposed to apartheid and her husband was under house arrest, and then was acquitted at the Riviona Trial where Mandela was sentenced to life imprisonment.

I always wished,as a teenager, that I could have Nelson Mandela as a grandfather :giggle2: Sounds like an interesting read, you must have books going on the side too? 

I always wished,as a teenager, that I could have Nelson Mandela as a grandfather :giggle2: Sounds like an interesting read, you must have books going on the side too?

I did read one on my Kindle yesterday, just because the book was too heavy to carry (as I gave it to OH to put in his bag while we were walking, I felt a bit guilty giving him a heavy book, so opted for the Kindle instead :giggle2:). I'm back to it today though, and hoping to finish it this morning. :)

I am hoping to pick up the speed soon.  I planned on a lot of books this month but now that I'm doing World Without End, It might just be a few... but since I am coming to Amsterdam on my vacation next month ( ;) ) I will have at least some time to read, being a solo trip.

That makes sense :):exc:!

After much deliberation and changes and ho hums, I have finalized my list of books I am taking with me to Amsterdam.  I figure with a 13 1/2 travel time (plus an hour after security here in San Francisco) I will need at least one book for the flight there and one shorter book for the way home or at least, one that I can start and stop, as by that time, I think I will need some sleeping!  :D I'll have 7 wonderful days + 2 travel days.  Here they are:

Plane Ride: Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neil along with Lawrence Rees' Hitler's Charisma

The Girl on a Train By Paula Hawkins

Inferno: The World at War 1939-1945 by Max Hastings.

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson will be next and for the return trip.

contamination.jpgtaste.jpg

Title: Contamination Zero (also in A Taste of Tomorrow Dystopian box set)

Author: T.W. Piperbrook

Genre: Horror

Pages: 95

This is a scary story.  Plague breaks out in a small town in the Southwestern United States and the police force is only 4 men.  How did the disease spread?  The story is told in the third person, through the actions of the good guy, the bad guy and a 10 year old girl.  Noll, you should check it out (you can hang with the campy but gory horror lol).  While I don’t know about all 6 parts, at 100 pages, I can spare some time to read some of them and have invested in the next 3 books. 

The box set called A Taste of Tomorrow contains 11 books and was only a dollar.  I have read 2 books and 1 story so far, 2 were winners, Sand Part One by Hugh Howey (I highly recommend this stand alone) and the other was Season One of Yesterday’s Gone, which lead me to read 2 more seasons with a total page count of 1400+ words.  The other was Jason Gurley’s The Man Who Ended the World (which I didn’t read in the collection and might be edited better in this omnibus) which I abandoned because of editing.

Edited by Anna Begins

After much deliberation and changes and ho hums, I have finalized my list of books I am taking with me to Amsterdam.  I figure with a 13 1/2 travel time (plus an hour after security here in San Francisco) I will need at least one book for the flight there and one shorter book for the way home or at least, one that I can start and stop, as by that time, I think I will need some sleeping!  :D I'll have 7 wonderful days + 2 travel days.  Here they are:

Plane Ride: Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neil along with Lawrence Rees' Hitler's Charisma

The Girl on a Train By Paula Hawkins

Inferno: The World at War 1939-1945 by Max Hastings.

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson will be next and for the return trip.

I hope you will enjoy all of these :D!

I'm glad you enjoyed Contamination Zero :) (did it have an ending?). I hope you enjoy the next few books in the series too. I might have to get this dystopian box set some day..

contamination.jpgtaste.jpg

Title: Contamination Zero (also in A Taste of Tomorrow Dystopian box set)

Author: T.W. Piperbrook

Genre: Horror

Pages: 95

This is a scary story.  Plague breaks out in a small town in the Southwestern United States and the police force is only 4 men.  How did the disease spread?  The story is told in the third person, through the actions of the good guy, the bad guy and a 10 year old girl.  Noll, you should check it out (you can hang with the campy but gory horror lol).  While I don’t know about all 6 parts, at 100 pages, I can spare some time to read some of them and have invested in the next 3 books. 

This sounds like my kinda thing alright :lol: Will check it out!

I hope you will enjoy all of these :D!

I'm glad you enjoyed Contamination Zero :) (did it have an ending?). I hope you enjoy the next few books in the series too. I might have to get this dystopian box set some day..

Yes, I think you would like it.  Contamination did end with a closing, if that's all you want out of it, or you can buy the rest in the series, which are usually a dollar or free.  All the books are stand alones but some of the short stories leave you wanting more!  Like Sand Part 1 had an ending and I think it's one of my favorite short stories.  Course I had to go out and buy the rest of Sand, but other books, are the books in their entirety- like with The Man Who Ended the World. 

Yup- thought so ;)  :giggle2: You can get books 0-3 for 2 dollars.  :)

Edited by Anna Begins

Yes, I think you would like it.  Contamination did end with a closing, if that's all you want out of it, or you can buy the rest in the series, which are usually a dollar or free.  All the books are stand alones but some of the short stories leave you wanting more!  Like Sand Part 1 had an ending and I think it's one of my favorite short stories.  Course I had to go out and buy the rest of Sand, but other books, are the books in their entirety- like with The Man Who Ended the World. 

Thanks for this :)!

:lol:

Thanks for this :)!

You are welcome!  I bought a box set of the Contamination series, seems like they have been released like a serial :jump: I got Contamination Books 0-3.  I read Zero, now I am on #2.  #2 supposedly goes back to the characters in Zero.  I'd like to finish them all off today.

Thankfully, it looks like no more characters will be added. 

Edited by Anna Begins

The Sacket series by Louis L'Amour are  some of my favorites. this one is on sale for $1.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Sackett-Sacketts-Book-Louis-LAmour-ebook/dp/B000FBJB0E/ref=zg_bs_3441883011_56

Ok, I think I can afford that now- thanks!!  :)  It looks like a stand alone?

Each of the books in the Sackett series are stand-alone.

I believe there are about 20 some books in the Sackett series. For the most part they are stand-alone but I always like to read them in  order issued. :)

Another excellent book by L'Amour is "The Last of the Breed". I really liked it.

Edit: more on the Sackett's, etc. here...........

http://www.louislamour.com/sackett/index.htm

Edited by muggle not

I believe there are about 20 some books in the Sackett series. For the most part they are stand-alone but I always like to read them in  order issued. :)

I am undaunted- the Jack Reacher series will reach 20 in September :) 

I hope you enjoy the book :)!

Thanks- my grandpa (Perry) loved L'Amour and I've always wanted to read his stories.  Also, I think if I catch on to them, they would be a good for read a thons and a good contrast to my dystopia/ post apocalyptic stuff.  Plus, I am down to only 1 more Reacher book.  :( 

Maybe the Sackett is a good contender for Amsterdam :P Soon the list will be 20 :giggle2:

Thanks- my grandpa (Perry) loved L'Amour and I've always wanted to read his stories.  Also, I think if I catch on to them, they would be a good for read a thons and a good contrast to my dystopia/ post apocalyptic stuff.  Plus, I am down to only 1 more Reacher book.  :(

Maybe the Sackett is a good contender for Amsterdam :P Soon the list will be 20 :giggle2:

Don't forget "The Last of the Breed" by L'Amour. it is also very good.

Now you have me thinking that maybe I will unpack my boxes with all his books in them and do another read of all. They are quick reads.