Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

Now you have me thinking that maybe I will unpack my boxes with all his books in them and do another read of all. They are quick reads.

Why are they in boxes :o? Do you own a lot of books and did you run out of space :(.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sacket series by Louis L'Amour are  some of my favorites. this one is on sale for $1.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Sackett-Sacketts-Book-Louis-LAmour-ebook/dp/B000FBJB0E/ref=zg_bs_3441883011_56

Now there is a series of books we can agree on, muggle not!  :angel_not:  :giggle2:    About 30 years ago, I discovered L'Amour with the Sackett series.  I bought 5 hardbacks from the old Literary Guild by mail book club.  They contained all of the Sackett series.  I really want to go back and reread them.  Just marvelous story telling! 

Don't forget "The Last of the Breed" by L'Amour. it is also very good.

Now you have me thinking that maybe I will unpack my boxes with all his books in them and do another read of all. They are quick reads.

Also, loved The Walking Drum

Why are they in boxes :o? Do you own a lot of books and did you run out of space :(.

I did own a lot of books but I gave most to the library. I had many and large bookcases/shelves in our former house but when we moved to our current house there is only one small bookcase. Therefore, I kept the Louie L'Amour books, since there are so many of them, packed in the boxes we used for moving.

Now there is a series of books we can agree on, muggle not!  :angel_not:  :giggle2:    About 30 years ago, I discovered L'Amour with the Sackett series.  I bought 5 hardbacks from the old Literary Guild by mail book club.  They contained all of the Sackett series.  I really want to go back and reread them.  Just marvelous story telling! 

Also, loved The Walking Drum

The Walking Dum was excellent. It was supposed to be a trilogy I believe but L'Amour didn't quite make it. It begs for a follow-up book.

I did own a lot of books but I gave most to the library. I had many and large bookcases/shelves in our former house but when we moved to our current house there is only one small bookcase. Therefore, I kept the Louie L'Amour books, since there are so many of them, packed in the boxes we used for moving.

That makes sense :(, I'm glad you kept the books, though!

Title: A Scanner Darkly

Author: Phillip K Dick

Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian

Pages: 307

Dates: 4/21 -4/25

I can see a lot of other writers being inspired by Phillip K. Dick and I can see it more in A Scanner Darkly than The Man in the High Castle.  In perhaps an ode to William S. Burrows, and a guiding light to Chuck Palahniuk, A Scanner Darkly is about:

Bob Arctor, a junkie and a drug dealer, both using and selling the mind-altering Substance D. Fred is a law enforcement agent, tasked with bringing Bob down. It sounds like a standard case. The only problem is that Bob and Fred are the same person. Substance D doesn’t just alter the mind, it splits it in two, and neither side knows what the other is doing or that it even exists. Now, both sides are growing increasingly paranoid as Bob tries to evade Fred while Fred tries to evade his suspicious bosses. (Amazon). 

From the mind of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik and the short story Total Recall, Dick tells what could be an incredibly complicated storyline, with ease and clarity.  This story blew my mind and is one I will probably read a few times in my life.

A Scanner Darkly is a fictionalized account of real events, based on Dick's experiences in the 70's drug culture.  Dick said in an interview, "Everything in A Scanner Darkly I actually saw."  (Wiki)

That says quite a bit. 

Great read, definitely recommended.

I'm so glad you liked this :)! I really enjoyed it too. But more spoilery thoughts in a PM.

It is my favorite read of this year so far and of last year.  Actually, it makes the top 10 list.  Just don't know what I'd replace lol  The more I think about it and the more I learn about Phillip K Dick, the more I like it.

It is my favorite read of this year so far and of last year.  Actually, it makes the top 10 list.  Just don't know what I'd replace lol  The more I think about it and the more I learn about Phillip K Dick, the more I like it.

Wow! I'm glad you liked it so much :D!

Seriously, we could talk about the book all day!  I only hope Legend will be as thought provoking. 

4 weeks to go til Amsterdam!

On a side note, I have lost all the stuff I should have saved when my computer was dying a slow death, now, I have lost everything since it wasn't backed up.  This includes my reading plan for my vacation in Amsterdam :(

Seriously, we could talk about the book all day!  I only hope Legend will be as thought provoking. 

On a side note, I have lost all the stuff I should have saved when my computer was dying a slow death, now, I have lost everything since it wasn't backed up.  This includes my reading plan for my vacation in Amsterdam :(

Aw shucks, I will remind you that you were going to read all 20 of the Sackett books. :readingtwo:  :D  :giggle2:

I hope so too! Failing that, we can always talk about A Scanner Darkly some more :).

Woohoo!

I am so sorry for you losing all of your stuff :(. It's terrible when such a thing happens :(. It happened to me a long time ago, and ever since I've been backing up my stuff quite often, because I don't want it to ever happen again. I am so sorry for the stuff you lost, I hope you can recover some of it. We talked about your reading plan for Amsterdam several times, I'm happy to help you go through our PM's to try and compile the plan :friends0:.

Aw shucks, I will remind you that you were going to read all 20 of the Sackett books. :readingtwo:  :D  :giggle2:

Haha :D.

:giggle2:

I hope so too! Failing that, we can always talk about A Scanner Darkly some more :).

Woohoo!

I am so sorry for you losing all of your stuff :(. It's terrible when such a thing happens :(. It happened to me a long time ago, and ever since I've been backing up my stuff quite often, because I don't want it to ever happen again. I am so sorry for the stuff you lost, I hope you can recover some of it. We talked about your reading plan for Amsterdam several times, I'm happy to help you go through our PM's to try and compile the plan :friends0:.

Haha :D.

I think I have to go to all my previous posts and retrieve it all :(

And woohoo for Amsterdam as well!

Title: Burial Rites

Author: Hannah Kent

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 353

Dates: 4/26- 4/29

Criminal.  The word hangs in the air.  Heavy, unmoved by the bluster of the wind.  I want to shake my head.  That word does not belong to me, I want to say.  It doesn’t fit me or who I am.  It’s another word, and it belongs to another person. 

Burial Rites take a few pages to get into, but once you get through some (actual) official documents to the narrator of Agnes, an Icelandic woman sentenced to death and held in a dank prison cell, the book sets a bleak tone.  Although it gets lighter as Agnes is sent to a farm to await the death penalty and who conveniently will not pray with her Spiritual Advisor but will only tell him of her life.   Author Hannah Kent makes you want to know Agnes’ story and her explanation for the murders and arson she is accused of. 

It’s a good read, one I can compare with Jodi Picoult’s Plain Truth- not bad company at all.  Some sentences seemed on the verge of silly, trying too hard to be pretty.  But mostly, I found it well written and liked the footnote of how the author researched the story that was based on a true Icelandic woman.  I also loved the setting of 1829 in Iceland.

Edited: Recommended

Edited by Anna Begins

Really glad you enjoyed Burial Rites! I get what you mean about the flowery writing occasionally turning into a bit of an overgrown garden but I just let myself get swept up in the poetry of it, and really loved it.

I have a friend from northern Iceland, and when I mentioned I was reading this he said he was familiar with the historical story, but fortunately didn't spoil it for me (though he threatened to!)

I can't honestly say I was really swept away by any of the characters in it, but the writing was lovely and I felt compelled to complete Agnes' journey with her once I'd started.

Nice review, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :smile:

Thanks and thanks for the recommendation!

I'm glad you enjoyed Burial Rites :)!

Thanks!

Ooh that sounds a good 'un! Added to the wish list after your great review. 

Ya, I think you'd like it, but I might have said that about The Man in the High Castle :blush2:  Have you read any Jodi Picoult? 

Really glad you enjoyed Burial Rites! I get what you mean about the flowery writing occasionally turning into a bit of an overgrown garden but I just let myself get swept up in the poetry of it, and really loved it.

I have a friend from northern Iceland, and when I mentioned I was reading this he said he was familiar with the historical story, but fortunately didn't spoil it for me (though he threatened to!)

I can't honestly say I was really swept away by any of the characters in it, but the writing was lovely and I felt compelled to complete Agnes' journey with her once I'd started.

Oh, I am so glad he didn't spoil it!  I'd love to go there, just not in 1829 or in the winter lol  I liked the Northern Lights part.  And I liked Agnes like you, she drew me in. 

This is a list of books I am trying to choose from for Amsterdam.  I will be there 7 days, with 2 travel days.  My plane ride and total travel time one way will be over 13 hours.  Any suggestions or recommendations?

The Girl on the Train- Paula Hawkins (326 pages)

Only Ever Yours- Louise O’Neal (400 pages)

Inferno: The World at War 1939- 1945- Max Hastings (821 pages)

At the Water’s Edge- Sara Gruen (369 pages)

The Round House- Louise Erdrich (353 pages)

The Darkest Part of the Forest- Holly Black (331 pages)

Holes- Louis Sachar (241 pages)

The Fever- Megan Abbott (321 pages)

The End of the World Running Club- Adrian J Walker (422 pages)

Together Apart- Natalie Martin (268 pages)

Audio:

Breakfast at Tiffany’s- Truman Capote (2:52)

Born Standing Up: A Comics Life- Steve Martin (4:03)

Edited by Anna Begins

I can recommend Only Ever Yours and Holes as I enjoyed both. The Girl on the Train is very readable, but I didn't enjoy it as much as other people did.

Oh good- Holes looks so promising- is it YA?  I hold back on Only Ever Yours because 400 pages seems so long!  I know Girl on the Train is such a controversial read but I am glad you let me know!  I love your opinions!

Title: One Shot (Jack Reacher No 9)

Author: Lee Child

Genre: Thriller

Pages 466

Dates: 4/30- 5/4

Well, I have to admit, I was prejudice against One Shot (Jack Reacher #9) from the beginning.  Mostly because I can’t stop seeing Tom Cruise in the lead role this movie- not as Jack Reacher mind you.  With Reacher’s personality and body physic being such a part of his character (6’5” and 250 pounds), it was almost offensive to cast Cruise and then direct such an awful script.  But I think my main problem with the book was, it isn’t written like a Jack Reacher book.  Lackluster, with no action and with Reacher not even showing up til 50 pages into the meager 300 page book, I was very disappointed.  Normally, Jack Reacher would have 6 men down by then.  Plus, it is about a sniper, which always means a good time.  Then there are little things too, like Reacher checking/ owning a watch.  I cannot remember Reacher EVER checking a watch, in fact, it is one of his personality traits, that he can tell the time in his head- even setting his waking alarm in his head.  At least Child didn’t take Reacher’s coffee away. But, for some reason, Reacher does have two beers, unheard of.

Sadly, it is the last of the 19 book Jack Reacher series for me.  Now do I get to start over?  :)  I can skip this one :D

Not Recommended

In fact, just on reflection, I’d like to briefly talk about my attachment with Jack Reacher.  This man, for 3 years, has been my literary crush, a man I wish could save me in my life lol I had a struggle with Lee Child and it got all controversial, but was a true dilemma for me.  It took me a long time to get over it (about 8 or 9 months before I couldn’t resist Reacher’s sweet whispers telling me to come back, come back, come back…).  I can for absolute certainty say that Bad Luck and Trouble is my absolute favorite Reacher, followed by Personal and 61 Hours.  All 19 (soon to be 20 in September) are stand alones. 

Edited by Anna Begins

Oh good- Holes looks so promising- is it YA?  I hold back on Only Ever Yours because 400 pages seems so long!  I know Girl on the Train is such a controversial read but I am glad you let me know!  I love your opinions!

Yeah, I'd say Holes is YA. I'm surprised Only Ever Yours is 400 pages, as it absolutely flew by when I read it. :readingtwo:

This is a list of books I am trying to choose from for Amsterdam.  I will be there 7 days, with 2 travel days.  My plane ride and total travel time one way will be over 13 hours.  Any suggestions or recommendations?

The Girl on the Train- Paula Hawkins (326 pages)

Only Ever Yours- Louise O’Neal (400 pages)

Inferno: The World at War 1939- 1945- Max Hastings (821 pages)

At the Water’s Edge- Sara Gruen (369 pages)

The Round House- Louise Erdrich (353 pages)

The Darkest Part of the Forest- Holly Black (331 pages)

Holes- Louis Sachar (241 pages)

The Fever- Megan Abbott (321 pages)

The End of the World Running Club- Adrian J Walker (422 pages)

Together Apart- Natalie Martin (268 pages)

Audio:

Breakfast at Tiffany’s- Truman Capote (2:52)

Born Standing Up: A Comics Life- Steve Martin (4:03)

I have only read The Girl On The Train (which I LOVED) and Only Ever Yours which I initially read in ebook form, and didn't realise it was nearly as long as it is. It flies by, but it is very dark subject matter. I did love it, however.