Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the few times where the word 'literally' is used totally in the correct way :D.

Hahaha I try not to use it for hyperbole.... but when I'm angry I do. I tell my computer I'm literally going to throw it out the window. I'm not even going to figuratively throw it out the window, let alone literally :giggle:

I don't really remember much about the potato parts. I read in back in January, I've read (literally) a hundred books since then.

His cultivation of the potatoes in the HAB

One of the few times where the word 'literally' is used totally in the correct way :D.

Hahaha I try not to use it for hyperbole.... but when I'm angry I do. I tell my computer I'm literally going to throw it out the window. I'm not even going to figuratively throw it out the window, let alone literally :giggle:

:giggle2:

Random Acts of Senseless Violence- Jack Womack (257 pages)

This short novel, the diary of a 13 year old girl living in luxury turns bleak as the family rapidly loses their money and society continues to disintegrate around the world and especially their New York tenement.

This diary reminded me a lot of Go Ask Alice (Anonymous), where both characters give in to their inner cravings and both live dangerously, describing the events in a journal.  But there is more depth to Random Acts of Violence.  And no real message.

13 year old Lola is beyond her age and gives lots of insight into her character.  She meets up with two street girls that befriend her.  They speak in a broken Caribbean- American slang that is difficult to understand and even Lola picks it up.  Dealing with her sexuality and navigating through the scary street riots, Lola lives in slow poverty, finding out who her real friends are.  But the most important question facing Lola is: Who am I?

The book is slow in pacing except the last 50 pages or so, when it pays off.  I wouldn't recommend it, just because the pacing is sooooo slow.  I will remember this one for awhile though.

Interview with a Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, Book 1)- Anne Rice (341 pages).

A friend of mine encouraged me to read this book, her zeal for this series rubbed off on me and I set out with Interview.  Having only seen the movie, I couldn’t believe how different the movie was, from the book.  But then it occurred to me: in the 90’s, there is no way two men could have been shown having a passionate love affair or a man fall in love with a woman in a child’s body.  In that sense, I also realized, when Anne Rice wrote these books, there was a shortage of women in this genre, and especially ones that wrote “on the edge” as Rice did.  Looking back, this book was something wonderful.  And it still is.

Highly Recommended.

A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story by Linda Sue Park (116 pages + author note)

Wow- I’ve been wanting to read this since I heard read about it last month and it was great!  It is the story of Nya, who walks all day to a muddy stream to haul water for her family.  Salva is fleeing violence from 1985 Sudan War.  The two come together in a way you’d never guess, I was smiling a great deal.  This book is not graphic at all, easy to read (I read it in an hour or so) and provides an interesting perspective (and writing) of the conflicts in Sudan.  Based on a true story, the author talks about his desire (and accomplishment) of helping his beloved country.

Highly recommended  

The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, Book 2)- Anne Rice (pages 174 of 480)

I felt like reviewing this, even if I didn’t finish it.  Pretty much because I was so disappointed in this book.  I just don’t feel a sympathy or like Lestat enough to care about him and his story.  The book’s pacing was slow, not much richness in detail that made Interview with a Vampire.  I started to read this series to get to Queen of the Damned, which I am told is the best, but I can’t make it through Lestat to get to it.

Not Recommended. 

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy The Vampire Lestat nearly as much as Interview with a Vampire. I don't remember what happens in Lestat but I remember more of Interview with a Vampire (that probably says something). I hope your next reads will be better :). It's nice you liked A Long Walk to Water.

Gone (Gone Saga Book 1)- Michael Grant (576 pages, according to Amazon, includes excerpt of Hunger, Book 2)

Gaia mentioned this series to me and for some reason, a series of 7 books really appealed to me.  Then, I checked out the page counts and discovered them to all be in the 500 page range.  I didn’t even pause during the sample.  I was glued to all 576 pages.  The characters were all good, the pacing was quick- I was shocked when I realized I was at 60%!

One day, Sam is sitting in his classroom and all the sudden, the teacher disappears.  A girl from an advanced studies class tells his class the older kids she was working with have disappeared as well.  Soon, it turns out all the adults and everyone over 15 disappears.  Sam wonders if it all has to do with the light he was able to create in his bedroom closet.  Then, the private school kids show up.  And Sam is only a week away from his 15th birthday.

This could be a stand alone.  I liked it, I thought it was good and an entertaining read.  Just dark enough and based on the idea of Lord of the Flies… it succeeded better.  Stephen King has a rave on the cover… which might be obvious why when/ if/ upon reading the book.  Definitely worth the read.

Recommended.

The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court Series Book 2)- Philippa Gregory (672 pages)

The controversy that surrounds the court of one of England’s most notorious and scandalous Queens, Anne Boleyn’s story is told through unusual eyes- her younger sister.  Mary Boleyn, mistress to the King herself for four years, gave him both a daughter and a son before Anne swept him away. 

Beginning as a flirtation to divert the King while Mary was in confinement, Anne swiftly enchants Henry VIII.  They embark on a tumultuous relationship, Anne guided by ambition, the King guided by desire.  Mary describes in vivid detail the knowledge we have and don't have about Anne Boleyn.  Several miscarriages, a perhaps improper relationship with their brother, Anne’s unending exhaustion at the strain of her position and her death.

Gregory writes The Other Boleyn Girl as she does her other books- through the eyes of a little known woman in history and weaves a wonderful, delightful tale.  And at the heart is the passionate story of Mary falling in love for the last time.  It contrasts well with Anne’s desire to rule England and Henry VIII.

Book 2 of 6.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm going to do one every other month, so you will probably finish faster!  I have the Gregory series too!

That could be. I'm not sure yet how often I will be reading them. Maybe I will do one a month too, I'm not sure yet. But that is true, you do have the Gregory series also :).

Nice review, I'm glad you enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl. I wish you lots of fun reading the remaining books in the series next year!