Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great reviews, I'm glad you enjoyed both books :). Though it's a shame Chasing Windmills wasn't one of the more emotional CRH books. I do look forward to reading it, it sounds good!

I'm sure you'll like it :)

The Heart Goes Last (Positron 1-5)- Margaret Atwood (308 pages)

The world is devastated by economic collapse, unemployment is 40%, and ruthless gangs and rapists run the streets.  Stan and Charmaine live in their car- off of Charmaine’s meager waitress tips- fearing danger.  Then one day, Charmaine hears a commercial at work for a utopian like settlement called Positron, where everyone is safe, given a home and work.  She and Stan head off to Positron and make it in.

There is a catch.

Once in you can’t leave.  And in exchange for a wonderful life, you must spend one month in Consilience, the jail of Positron.  Then, you go home.  The next month, you go back to jail and the person that was in jail in your place, lives in your home.  Great food and all the comforts are provided in Consilience.  Atwood eludes to a communist leaning society, everyone working together- wardens become the jailed one month, then the jailed become wardens the next month.  It is a society of give and take and one of balance.  There is no violence, no taking advantage, no stealing.  Because the person could do it back to you.

All is fine, Stan and Charmaine live a middle class type of lifestyle, broken up by their month long prison stays, all the while trading their home with another couple.

Then Stan finds a provocative note under their refrigerator, from a Jasmine to a Max, signed with a magenta colored kiss.  Are these the people that live in the house when Stan and Charmaine are in jail? 

As Stan becomes obsessed with Jasmine, Atwood just blows the roof off the house with this plot, a love story at its heart.  The book takes Atwood like turns-with very little strangeness, we’re not talking Oryx and Crake- but yes, there are sex robots.  A whole different storyline appears and then in a breath, it all comes together.  At no time is there a boring moment or a part I wished had never happened.  All characters are solid and none annoying. 

I woke up to get to this book, I liked it that much!  I highly recommend The Heart Goes Last, although I do warn there is some graphic sex and it is integral to the story.  This would be a good starter novel for a potential Atwood reader or a very enjoyable read for an Atwood fan.

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much :). I don't like reading graphix sex scenes, but the plot sure sounds intriguing. Would you say the sex scenes are worse than those in The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett? I found those hard to read but the rest of the book more than made up for it as it was so good.

Great review! Really looking forward to this one, just waiting for it to come down a bit in price.

Thanks!  I hope you like it and I am not leading you astray :blush2:  :P It is pricey, I've noticed a lot of Kindle books are the same price as a paper book.  It's one reason I didn't buy Stone Mattress.  I don't know if that's fair or not.  IMO, it was money worth spent :smile:

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much :). I don't like reading graphix sex scenes, but the plot sure sounds intriguing. Would you say the sex scenes are worse than those in The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett? I found those hard to read but the rest of the book more than made up for it as it was so good.

Mmmm... they are more raunchy :P I think this book makes up for it too... if you can get past those parts.  Since I know you like Phillip K Dick, I think you'd like the twists in this book.

Why did the utopian society send everyone to jail?

I can't tell you that! :o  ;)

Mmmm... they are more raunchy :P I think this book makes up for it too... if you can get past those parts.  Since I know you like Phillip K Dick, I think you'd like the twists in this book.

That's good to know :). I guess I could always read a sample / Kimple.

A Handmaid’s Tale- Margaret Atwood (324 pages)

The first time I read A Handmaid’s Tale, I rated it a 2/5!  After recently reading The Heart Goes Last, I thought, perhaps I had missed something in this acclaimed work.  I think, not that I missed the message, but more that I missed the brilliance of the story being told.

In A Handmaid’s Tale, a fanatical, religious military dictatorship takes over what used to be New York, and this story is told by a Handmaid.  A Handmaid’s sole purpose is to have a baby for the military elite.  Offred is the name of the Handmaid telling the tale, she is old enough (35) to remember the days before the government was overthrown, when she had a regular name, a husband and a child of her own.  Offred struggles to find her place in this society… hoping the Eyes won’t see any digression.

Orwellian and terrifying in detail, the book is Atwood flawless, the Atwood way.  I’ve tried other books by Atwood, the MaddAddam trilogy and frankly, she has my definite respect, this woman has a crazy mind and writes like mad.  

Edited by Anna Begins

I've read The Handmaid's Tale a couple of times, but I've never really 'got it'. I still have it on my bookshelf, intending to read it again at some point, and hopefully understand it a bit better.

Do you have a Kindle copy?  Because I do and it cuts off right at the end of the story and sends me to the Atwood Amazon bookstore like normal.  BUT there is a Historical Note section, which makes it all worth it.  :)

I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading this :)!

Thanks and thanks for always commenting in my thread :friends0:

I must admit I'm a little (lot) daunted by Atwood. She's on the 1001 list which I'm trying to get as much done as I can during my lifetime but... Scary.

I suggest A Handmaid's Tale, you'd probably like the concept of the book, especially the Historical Notes, as I was telling BB about.

Do you have a Kindle copy?  Because I do and it cuts off right at the end of the story and sends me to the Atwood Amazon bookstore like normal.  BUT there is a Historical Note section, which makes it all worth it.  :)

No, mine's a paperbook, from years and years ago. I've just had a flick to the back of it, and it has Historical Notes as well. :smile:

Anyone who sees this and has read Atwood, please suggest a starting title! :lol:

I've read only one but it's good: A Handmaid's Tale. Recommended :yes:

Edit: Just remembered I've also read Alias Grace. Didn't enjoy it as much. 

Edited by frankie