Your Book Activity - October 2014

Athena

Ahh, I believe the bad reviews pinpointed the ending! Oh and BTW.....I'd read a while back that the movie ending was different, but yesterday I read an interview with the author, and that is not true.

Ah, well... Okay, I suppose I can get that. But what if all the books ended the way we 'wanted', and in the predictable way. That's no fun :) Well, you can't please them all! 

LOL re the marmite, and, not bloody likely! :D

Don't knock it till you try it... :giggle2::D

I wasn't feeling the Jane Austen book last night so I switched to Attachments by Rainbow Rowell and was sucked right into it! :smile2: I read 80 pages before I fell asleep. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm two thirds into Horns by Joe Hill, having just arrived at the 'The Fixer' part of the book. I'm also three quarters into Rip it Up by Richard Wiseman. I hope to do some more reading today so I can finish both of them. They're both quite enjoyable (in their own ways), I'm eager to read what'll happen next in the story of Horns.

Just finished The Snake, The Crocodile And The Dog by Elizabeth Peters. Not my favourite of the series, but I still enjoyed it. Will be glad to read the next one when things should be back to normal!

Not sure what to read next, so will have to peruse the bookshelf this evening and see what I can find. :)

I finished Horns and Rip it Up and have started Rainbow Rowell - Attachments, inspired by Frankie's thread. I felt in the mood for something a bit more uplifting and easier to read, after reading Horns.

Geez, hon, it was only 8:00 when you posted that :D

Now I've started The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Good so far.

I hope you like it :). I enjoyed it when I read it two months ago.

I've read quite a bit of Attachments by Rainbow Rowell today, it's good but different than Fangirl (by the same author). The book contains some references I don't understand, but it's not integral for the story so it's not too bad (not as many references are in Horns anyway). The book alternates chapters of the two female main characters' email conversation and chapters written from the male main character's point of view. It's an interesting way of telling a story.

I started Idiopathy today by Sam Byers.  I've read about 40 or 50 pages, but I can't read anymore.  I know it was about three characters and after reading the first chapter about one of them, I was hoping I'd find something redeemable about the second, but unfortunately it was not to be, and I don't want to spend any more time with them, so this will unfortunately be my first abandoned book of the year.  Never mind, plenty more books on the shelf! :D

I started Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam, the third and namesake of the trilogy.  It's really cohesive to both Oryx and Crake and Year of the Flood, so I am not struggling with any strange-ness... yet :giggle2:

Still reading 'The Villa in Italy' and Before the Storm....but in the post yesterday they lovely Hayley has send me another Diane Chamberlain to add to the wobbly TBR pile....'Secret Lives'...looking forward to reading it.

I finished Heartsick by Chelsea Cain today and I enjoyed it.

(My mobile now only posts Mobile and not Full for some reason.)

When I browse the site on my mobile there's a button / link somewhere on the page that allows me to switch back to full. I don't know if this would help you, but thought I'd mention it.

I started to read A. S. King - Ask the Passengers yesterday. I'm not that far into it yet, but so far I'm enjoying it. According to the back of the book the main character, a girl, will fall in love with another girl (as well as other stuff that happens). I haven't read many books about this theme so I hope it'll be good.

I finished Heartsick by Chelsea Cain today and I enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed Heartsick! I would really recommend you read the sequel, Sweetheart, too :yes: 

I finished Attachments by Rainbow Rowell last night in bed, it was really good! :) Don't know what to read next... 

I hope you like it :). I enjoyed it when I read it two months ago.

It's quite good, probably the Gaiman I have enjoyed most (as I have struggled with some of his others). I'm about two-thirds through and will probably finish it tonight as it's quite short. :readingtwo:

Just about to make a hot drink and settle down for a few more chapters of The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons .. I'm about two thirds of the way through now. Also reading The Life of Charlotte Brontë by Elizabeth Gaskell .. fascinating stuff but very in depth so best read when all my cylinders are firing .. anyone know when that is? :D