Your Book Activity - October 2014

Athena

One chapter of One Hundred Years of Solitude to go but I think it will have to wait until the morning. I dropped off a few books to the charity shop this morning and ended up buying a few which I'll post about tomorrow.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about to make a hot drink and settle down for a few more chapters of The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons .. I'm about two thirds of the way through now.

Is it any good? I noticed a copy at the library. The title drew me in... :lol: It wasn't until your post that I realized it was by Solomons. 

I started reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I'm only about 20 pages in, so don't know where it's going but it's pretty good so far. 

I have Dark Places on my TBR pile. After the success of Gone Girl, Amazon put all of her books on sale for £0.20 (Kindle). Needless to say, I snapped them up. :D Alas, like so many others, they still remain on my TBR pile. :doh:

:lol: But once you start reading the book... it's probably unputdownable. Very soon off your TBR pile once you get going ;):yes::lol:

Edited by frankie

It's quite good, probably the Gaiman I have enjoyed most (as I have struggled with some of his others). I'm about two-thirds through and will probably finish it tonight as it's quite short. :readingtwo:

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)!

One chapter of One Hundred Years of Solitude to go but I think it will have to wait until the morning. I dropped off a few books to the charity shop this morning and ended up buying a few which I'll post about tomorrow.

I look forward to see the list and hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I started to read Berthold Gunster - Yes-but What If It All Works Out? yesterday, I'm about half way through it. It's actually written by a Dutch author and then translated into English but when I bought the book I didn't look at the author's name :P. I have two other (short) books by him in Dutch that I liked and so far this one is interesting too. I also read a few pages in Stephen King - The Shining which I hope to read this month.

I've picked up How To Be Both again, and I've made sure all my chores are done, or will be done by lunchtime, so that I've got the afternoon to read.  I read about 30 pages this morning, and it's just so, so good.

This morning I noticed that a couple of books I wanted for my Jane Austen challenge were quite cheap on Kindle, so I bought Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope and Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid, and also that Jenny Colgan's Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop was only £2.99 as well, so I've downloaded those to be saved for later.  So I am now a very happy Claire. :smile2:

:lol: But once you start reading the book... it's probably unputdownable. Very soon off your TBR pile once you get going ;):yes::lol:

That is the case with so many books! I've started so many older ones, and kicked myself for not starting them sooner because they are so good! :doh::giggle2:

I'm more than half way through Cloud Atlas. I'm not sure I find it as amazing as other people have. Am hoping for any amazing ending.

I haven't read it, though I mean to at some point as I have heard so many things about it. I've read the plot synopsis though, and it sounds complicated and I'm not sure it's my kind of book. Hope it picks up for you. :smile:

I'm currently reading The Shining by Stephen King. I'm on page 127 at the moment, just over one fourth into it. I've seen the film many years ago but don't remember much of it. So far I'm really enjoying the book, though at times it's quite scary!

I'm just over a third into The Shining (currently page 168) and am enjoying it (it's scary though!). I'm curious how Dr. Sleep relates to it (I haven't read its synopsis), but I don't want to spoil the ending for myself, so I'll be asking that question when I've finished the book :P.

I'm just over a third into The Shining (currently page 168) and am enjoying it (it's scary though!). I'm curious how Dr. Sleep relates to it (I haven't read its synopsis), but I don't want to spoil the ending for myself, so I'll be asking that question when I've finished the book :P.

Maybe that would be a good follow up!

Maybe that would be a good follow up!

I don't own it yet, though depending on how interested I am in it, I might buy it in a while :).

EDIT: But it will take a bit of time to get here, usually.

Edited by Athena

I'm catching up with Nicholas Nickleby at the moment. Having trouble reading for any length of time at the moment though, the concentration isn't there for me :(

Might tackle something simpler or perhaps a YA next in the hope of shifting along.

Has anyone read The Giver by Lois Lowry. I have it on hold at the Library and am highly anticipating the book. Amazon gave it high marks.

From Amazon......The Giver, the 1994 Newbery Medal winner, has become one of the most influential novels of our time. The haunting story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. Lois Lowry has written three companion novels to The Giver, including Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son.

I'm still plodding on with The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven.   It's very enjoyable but I just don't seem to have much reading time at present.  I'm also behind with the group read of Nicholas Nickleby (not because of the book - it's great!).  I need to try to clear the decks a bit and have a good run at it!

I'm reading several books atm. I'm about 60% through Niv: The Authorized Biography of David Niven by Graham Lord. Quite enjoyable.

I'm still plodding on with The Moon's a Balloon by David Niven.   It's very enjoyable but I just don't seem to have much reading time at present.  I'm also behind with the group read of Nicholas Nickleby (not because of the book - it's great!).  I need to try to clear the decks a bit and have a good run at it!

Interestingly enough Lord claims, with backup, that some of Nivens stories are rather exaggerated, and change over time. Doesn't stop them from being very entertaining. :D

I somehow managed to squeeze in some reading time yesterday and finished the magnificent How To Be Both by Ali Smith.

I'm catching up with Nicholas Nickleby at the moment. Having trouble reading for any length of time at the moment though, the concentration isn't there for me :(

I'm also behind with the group read of Nicholas Nickleby (not because of the book - it's great!).

I'm also a bit behind with Nicholas Nickleby! I'll post more in the group read thread without putting any spoilers, and we can all see where we're up to and if we need to adjust our dates to catch up with each other.