Your Book Activity - October 2014

Athena

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently reading A. S. King - The Dust of 100 Dogs, which is about a girl from the 17th century who becomes a pirate. She gets cursed to live the lives of 100 dogs and after that she is born as a human baby. She grows up and wants to go and find the treasure she buried when she was a pirate. So far it's quite good :).

I've read a few more chapters of The Horologican today, and chuckled out loud a few times. :giggle2:

Started The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler which is one of the books loaned to me by lovely Claire  :hug:  Only on chapter two but really into it already :) 

Can't wait to hear what you think of it! :D

I've managed to read a bit more of The Crow Road, and hope to have it finished this week. I did hardly any reading this weekend, and have been feeling so tired that I can't concentrate. I managed to get a good night's sleep last night, so I don't feel like constantly nodding off. :blush2: I might even catch up with some reviews at some point. :D

Finished Niv by Graham Lord.  Bio of David Niven, and while it was well done, and quite thorough, it definitely dragged in the middle.  The ending was quite poignant. 

Have started The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case: Race, Law, and Justice in the Reconstruction Era by Michael A. Ross.  It's non-fiction, a real kidnapping that took place in 1870 New Orleans, backed up by an excellent history of Reconstruction in New Orleans.  New Orleans was a bit different than other parts of the South in that it was captured by Northern troops early on, and was occupied for the balance of the war.  Ross has a great story telling style while imparting the facts of the time and happenings.

Have started The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case: Race, Law, and Justice in the Reconstruction Era by Michael A. Ross.  It's non-fiction, a real kidnapping that took place in 1870 New Orleans, backed up by an excellent history of Reconstruction in New Orleans.  New Orleans was a bit different than other parts of the South in that it was captured by Northern troops early on, and was occupied for the balance of the war.  Ross has a great story telling style while imparting the facts of the time and happenings.

Sounds fascinating!!  :readingtwo:

I've managed to read a bit more of The Crow Road, and hope to have it finished this week. I did hardly any reading this weekend, and have been feeling so tired that I can't concentrate. I managed to get a good night's sleep last night, so I don't feel like constantly nodding off. :blush2: I might even catch up with some reviews at some point. :D

I hope you'll be able to do some more reading soon, and maybe catch up on those reviews :). How many do you still have to write? 

This sounds interesting, I hope you find it interesting :).

I'm over halfway through in The Dust of 100 Dogs by A. S. King. It's quite good so far. There are sometimes chapters written from the point of view of this guy, I'm not sure yet how it'll tie in with the story though I have an idea that might prove to be correct. I'm not liking him at all though, so I don't enjoy these chapters as much as the Emer and Saffron chapters. But I'm kind of hoping he'll get bad luck or such in the end, so we will see :P.

I started to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick last night and after a few chapters went to sleep. It was fairly quiet this afternoon at work so I decided to read a little more and almost finished it. I love the movie but I am surprised at just how good the book is and how quickly I've got through it so far. I'm hoping for another quiet day tomorrow so that I cant finish it off.

I started and finished Mustikkasoppa last night in bed, a novel by a Finnish author. I enjoyed it very much, and could relate to the protagonist pretty much 100%. There were so many things we had in common that it got pretty funny at some point. 

I started to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick last night and after a few chapters went to sleep. It was fairly quiet this afternoon at work so I decided to read a little more and almost finished it. I love the movie but I am surprised at just how good the book is and how quickly I've got through it so far. I'm hoping for another quiet day tomorrow so that I cant finish it off.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really liked it when I read it last year.

Frankie, I'm glad you're having fun reading :readingtwo:.

I started to read Catherine Ryan Hyde - Where We Belong which is really good so far.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really liked it when I read it last year.

Frankie, I'm glad you're having fun reading :readingtwo:.

I started to read Catherine Ryan Hyde - Where We Belong which is really good so far.

Where We belong is one of my favorite by CRH. Glad that you are enjoying it. somewhere in about the middle or little past I think you will shed some tears. :)

Where We belong is one of my favorite by CRH. Glad that you are enjoying it. somewhere in about the middle or little past I think you will shed some tears. :)

I'm almost at the middle and find it very emotional already! It's so well written and touching. I'm really enjoying it :).

Ah, that's quite a few, though it could be worse :). Good luck!! You could try doing one every few days?

I think I might have to save them up for the weekend, as my working week just seems to be so hectic these days, and I don't have much energy when I get home. One day this week I was in bed before 9pm. :blush2:

I finished The Crow Road. What a relief to finish it! It had some very good parts, but mostly it was a confusing (for me, anyway) mismash. I've started Capital by John Lanchester, which has received many positive comments on here recently. Good so far!

While waiting on a few books from the library to become available I am reading "Exploring Cajun Country: A Tour of Historic Acadiana" by Chere Dastuque Coen. It is a short book and I am about 75% finished and have learned a lot and am glad I am reading it. Give it a 3.75/5. :)

The cat knew what it was doing :cat:

I finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? yesterday. The rest of the book was as good as the first half and it took me almost no time at all to read it. I have started Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami.

I finished The Horologican today, and I have no idea what to read next.  I've started a couple of books, but neither appeal at the moment, and I don't have that many others on my TBR now.  I might throw caution to the wind and pick something off my wish list to try and boost my mojo for the weekend, unless someone can come up with a good suggestion in the Hallowe'en Read-A-Thon thread! :D