Dean Koontz - Good and Bad?

Michelle

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read "The Husband" by Koontz.. it was my first introduction to Koontz, and I found the book bland and boring.. It drug on and and on and on! I know many readers really like Koontz.. Anyone else have any opinion on "The Husband" ??

Lexie,

At least that tells me it probably wasn't just the book, but the author's style I disliked! Sometimes I feel like maybe one book puts me off and I miss something great. You're right --- Diff things for diff people! :) I'm glad you enjoy him at least!

Thanks, although maybe you should try another of his books, some are very different, and there are ones of his that I dislike and so maybe you would like, if you know what I mean?

Possibly.. It can't hurt once I get through some of the other things I have on my list!

I started with watchers but soon tired of his chase novels.( Baddy chases goody and baddy gets killed ) he seems to include family pets or animals in his books. I prefer his pre 2000 books. he uses less sex and voyersim and graphic violence than Laymon so I feel he is safe to read out loud to my blind female friend.

• 1 month later...

Karla, Watchers is definitely a good one to start with. It's one of my favourites and I really enjoyed it. :blush: I can't remember Twilight Eyes at all, so it obviously didn't make that much of an impression on me! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Velocity was also one I enjoyed, and the other 2 I've enjoyed are The Husband and The Good Guy :D

I loved Velocity too........

How strange, I've got exactly the same opinion - some of his books I love, others not so much. I especially love the Odd Thomas series and Fear Nothing and Seize the Night.

Twilight Eyes is another of my favs :lol:

I was given Odd Thomas years ago as a gift and it sat on the bookshelf, I even let the person who bought it for me read it before me! I picked it up last year and have been kicking myself for not reading it........when I get the to read pile down a little I might get the other ones the series! :lol:

Edited by Michelle
posts merged

I really like this guy, and have to admit that, over the years, I've collected them all. Yes. All of them. My absolute favourite has to be From The Corner Of His Eye, full of beautiful imagery, some wonderfully memorable characters and a bad guy who is tremendously, deliciously, stark-raving bonkers.

I love it.

I find Koontz' novels have evolved over the years, that his prose has become much more poetic. He never fails to draw me into the story within a couple of pages. Maybe the frequency my mind resonates at modulates with his? Who knows?

I am very much looking forward to his third instalment of his Frankenstein series coming out in June. Almost vibrating with anticipation, actually.

I am quite sad, you know! :lol:

A friend of mine got me hooked, she also has all the books - yes all lol. She pointed me in the direction of Mr Murder and from there i have been reading the odd one here and there, I have not long since finished the door to december and have a couple in the cupboard to read. I have loved everyone I have read, and one day I hope to have read them all............yes alllllll..............

I notice you're currently reading Stephen King - I (dare I say this?) find Koontz more consistent in his quality than King. And I also feel he likes people a little more. It comes across. King I find more macabre, more gratuitous in his description. Still, I really love a ton of his books (should that be imperial or metric now? Ton, tonne?):lol:

I notice you're currently reading Stephen King - I (dare I say this?) find Koontz more consistent in his quality than King. And I also feel he likes people a little more. It comes across. King I find more macabre, more gratuitous in his description. Still, I really love a ton of his books (should that be imperial or metric now? Ton, tonne?):D

Yes I'm reading the last book of the Dark Tower series, I have to get to the end its a bit like a road race, you know where you are going but your not sure what state you will be in when you get there! Yes he is more macabre, just the thing for the morning train ride to work. I am leaning more towards Koontz and Herbert at the moment with my reading. But I have been known to grin through a nice dark thriller too :lol: never ever ever ever been seen with a mills and boone :lol:

I am very much looking forward to his third instalment of his Frankenstein series coming out in June.

So am I, the only trouble is that it's so long since I read the first two I can't remember a thing about the story! I think I'll have to re-read them before I read the third.

I haven't read the first two, but I have them. Are they good?

Yep, they really are. I do find Koontz extremely readable. I certainly think you would enjoy them. He puts an interesting slant on stuff. :lol:

I don't like how black and white his characters are. I have, however, since purchase, read the actual Frankenstein, so it'd be interesting to read Koontz's version now. I read a couple of chapters way back when and it seemed alright.

Fair enough. I kind of get what you mean about the characters, but I use these books as a break between the 'heavier' novels I read. You know the thing - switch brain on, switch brain off.

Harlen Coben is much better at drawing characters full of varying shades of grey, and yet achieves the mantle of being a 'switch brain off' author for me. Don't know why, because he's very skilled at writing the pacey, witty thriller. :lol:

• 6 months later...

I've just started " The darkest evening of the year". Wham - end of chapter one, and I'm hooked! That seems to happen to me with all of his books I have read. Yes, they are light, easy page-turner reads, in the same way that Dan Brown's books are, but he always draws his characters with such warmth, that I can't help but care about what happens to them. Odd Thomas is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I like the humour he puts into his books too. Read Life expectancy or tick tock for prime examples.

Ian