Dean Koontz - Good and Bad?

Michelle

I've never read a Dean Koontz novel in my life and have never even been particularly tempted to do so. Today though when I was in a charityshop I saw a Koontz novel and read the blurb and it sounded interesting. It was about a 'mad doctor' (?) who gagged and tied up this man who was in a motel room with his slightly autistic brother/son? There was also a woman whom the doctor also 'kidnapped'. Then he claimed that he's a target and some people are trying to get rid of them and hence his hostages are also in danger and need to stay in hiding. The hostages first suspect he's just a loon but soon enough they are beginning to wonder what the real deal is.

Does anyone recognise this novel? What's the title (I forgot it =/... ), and is it any good? Should I read it?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie, I believe the novel you're talking about is The Bad Place, a cracking good read. As on previous posts in this thread, I'll say how much I enjoy Koontz' novels. He always seems to have me hooked immediately, but then, he's like a comfort blanket, I suppose. I grew up reading him from an early age and know his style (but it's been nice watching this style evolve!)

Obviously, because of the volume of his works, some are better than others, but there have been a couple that have truly scared me. I still hold that he's a great one.

Pip pip. :blush:

Erm...The Mask, I think, was a really scary one; Sole Survivor properly freaked me out in places; From The Corner Of His Eye is one of my favourites - I've read that one twice! Ooh, and False Memory was quite disturbing also. These, you might like. :blush:

Any recs for Koontz that i should start with or try out? I have always been meaning to check some of his work out as he is quite well respected in the horror genre.

Any recs for Koontz that i should start with or try out? I have always been meaning to check some of his work out as he is quite well respected in the horror genre.

See above, my friend. See above. :D

Frankie, I believe the novel you're talking about is The Bad Place, a cracking good read. As on previous posts in this thread, I'll say how much I enjoy Koontz' novels. He always seems to have me hooked immediately, but then, he's like a comfort blanket, I suppose. I grew up reading him from an early age and know his style (but it's been nice watching this style evolve!)

I read about The Bad Place and while it partly seems like it could be the book I'm talking about, it doesn't match in other ways. In your novel the main character seeks help from a couple and I get the impression that they're going to help willingly while in the book I was talking about he sort of kidnaps these two (random?) people who are not connected with each other.

Edit: I googled 'Koontz' and 'autistic brother' and found a novel called "By the Light of the Moon" and this seems to be the one. Has anyone read it, is it any good?

Edited by frankie

Erm...The Mask, I think, was a really scary one; Sole Survivor properly freaked me out in places; From The Corner Of His Eye is one of my favourites - I've read that one twice! Ooh, and False Memory was quite disturbing also. These, you might like. :smile2:

Thanks Mac. I'll look out for them :D

Edit: I googled 'Koontz' and 'autistic brother' and found a novel called "By the Light of the Moon" and this seems to be the one. Has anyone read it, is it any good?

This is, as you say Frankie, the one. Yep, I've read it and, yep, it's very readable. You'll like it, I'm sure. Classic Koontz. :D

I googled 'Koontz' and 'autistic brother' and found a novel called "By the Light of the Moon" and this seems to be the one. Has anyone read it, is it any good?

That's one I read a while back, though I remember thinking at the time it wasn't the worst example of an 'origin story' (there is a substantial element of homage to mid-sixties Marvel Comics in the mix) but it lacked a certain something for me. I'm never sure if I'm too critical of Koontz, but I know that he can (and has) done much better. It's not his best, but there are moments that'll make you grin from ear to ear if you have a working knowledge of comic book characters or have seen the Incredible Hulk television series.

Erm...The Mask, I think, was a really scary one; Sole Survivor properly freaked me out in places; From The Corner Of His Eye is one of my favourites - I've read that one twice! Ooh, and False Memory was quite disturbing also. These, you might like. :D

Noted :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I love Fear Nothing but his later books... ie what he writes now all follow a similar formula and they are predictable and boring. I must admit I have never really liked him since he decided to adorn that wig some years ago :D:mrgreen::roll:.

Edited by BookJumper