Your Book Activity - September 2014

Athena

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copy of IT has 1376 pages. It's a lot (but in my opinion worth every page, it's such an awesome book)! I'm glad you're enjoying re-reading it, Geordie.

I've read a bit more in You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! but have mainly been busy, bookswise that is, with thinking about my book about books and with this forum.

Yeah you're right, it is worth it.

Well, I'm about halfway through Tiger Eyes, and it's as good as I remember. :smile:

I've just purchased Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I read a few Judy Blume books as a kid and it seemed rude not to revisit at 59 pennies! Also purchased The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald and John F Kennedy:An Unfinished Life by Robert Dallek today. Well and truly fallen off the wagon!

Started Capital by Lanchester.

Just finished the new Lee Child Jack Reacher book, Personal.  It was so good.  I don't know if I will review it or not.  Maybe.

Started Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake this morning, based on Weave's review :smile: It was a toss up between Oryx or The Reapers Are the Angels.

Edit: Ok, I reviewed it. Short and sweet!

Edited by Anna Begins

Yeah its It. Enjoying it more (if thats possible) this time round now that ive read all of Stephen Kings books im noticing all the little links to other books of his.

I love the little connections between his books. The references to events and characters from his other books, makes it all the more interesting. :boogie:

I've just purchased Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I read a few Judy Blume books as a kid and it seemed rude not to revisit at 59 pennies! Also purchased The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald and John F Kennedy:An Unfinished Life by Robert Dallek today. Well and truly fallen off the wagon!

Started Capital by Lanchester.

£0.59 is a bargain, isn't it?

I've got Capital on my TBR pile..... I must get to it soon, but I've just got so many books that I feel I "must get to soon". :thud:

Edited by bobblybear

Well I have given up on a book I stated months ago..! Oystercatchers by Susan Fletcher....just wasn't enjoying how it was written. I am now getting back to reading another I started on my holidays....The Villa in Italy by Elizabeth Edmondson...hope that goes better....mojo is a bit intermittent at the moment.

I'm sorry you weren't really enjoying Oystercatchers. The book is on my TBR but I don't know much about it, I bought it because it was cheap :blush2:. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable for you. It's never nice when mojo isn't behaving :(.

Had a wander around a few bookshops today, and bought a couple of books in the Oxfam bookshop.  I managed to find a copy of The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates for my English Counties Challenge, and also a copy of First Term at Mallory Towers by Enid Blyton which was perfect, as I've got all the other books in the series, but can't find my copy of this one, so now I have the complete set!  I think the series will be a winter re-read for me this year. :D

Had a wander around a few bookshops today, and bought a couple of books in the Oxfam bookshop.  I managed to find a copy of The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates for my English Counties Challenge, and also a copy of First Term at Mallory Towers by Enid Blyton which was perfect, as I've got all the other books in the series, but can't find my copy of this one, so now I have the complete set!  I think the series will be a winter re-read for me this year. :D

I hope you enjoy your new books :)!

I finished Behind Closed Doors last night in bed, and started Kirjeitä Tiinalle by Anita Korhonen.

That was quick! Did you like it?

I went on a little bit of a book spending spree. :blush: Books listed in my thread.

I posted, the books look beautiful!

I'm not 100% sure yet which book I'll read next. I've read two pages in Stephanie Perkins - Anna and the French Kiss 2: Lola and the Boy Next Door and will be reading a few more pages to see if it grabs me or not. It does seem like the kind of book I feel like reading at the moment, something cute and uplifting. After that I might go back to fantasy and read The Magician's Apprentice, the prequel to The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, but I might also read something else in between. The read-a-thon is next week as well so there's that too.

Just finished Dust by Martha Grimes. Can't say I was all that impressed. Actually, I was NOT impressed. Still reading Mists of Avalon but I want to start something new, just not sure what yet. Seeing as I'm pretty much house bound with 5 little kids and the weather is changing, I will be able to sit and read for a few minutes at a time throughout the day.

Had a wander around a few bookshops today, and bought a couple of books in the Oxfam bookshop. I managed to find a copy of The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates for my English Counties Challenge, and also a copy of First Term at Mallory Towers by Enid Blyton which was perfect, as I've got all the other books in the series, but can't find my copy of this one, so now I have the complete set! I think the series will be a winter re-read for me this year. :D

Jealous! That was my favourite series as a kid.

I am halfway through Capital and it's flying by, despite the 600 page length.

Jealous! That was my favourite series as a kid.

I devoured Enid's books when I was little! :D

I am halfway through Capital and it's flying by, despite the 600 page length.

I can't believe how quickly it went by, it's just so damn readable. :)

I finished The Madness by Alison Rattle yesterday and started Love With a Chance of Drowning by Torre DeRoche which I'm enjoying very much.

As it's International Translation Day, I treated myself to a new book from my local bookshop, The Dog by Kerstin Ekman, translated from the Swedish by Linda Schenck and Rochelle Wright.

I finished Oryx and Crake yesterday afternoon and have started The Year of the Flood, the next in the MaddAddam trilogy.  What strange books.  Margaret Atwood writes like nothing I've ever read before.  It's like she keeps you just on the edge of conception.