Your Book Activity - September 2014

Athena

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really under the weather at the moment so had a bit of a reading day yesterday.

I finished Capital by John Lanchester and Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell. Just finishing this week's instalment of Nicholas Nickleby and then must decide what to pick up next!

I finished Capital by John Lanchester and Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell. Just finishing this week's instalment of Nicholas Nickleby and then must decide what to pick up next!

Hope you feel better soon. :smile:  Those two books are on my current reading plan so I should get to them in the next month or so.

I finished Forever and Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore last night. I had really high hopes for the latter, but it was just weird (and not in a good way) and not all that enjoyable. Towards the end, I was reading it just to finish it.

Started Horns by Joe Hill this morning. Good so far! :boogie:

Edited by bobblybear

Hope you feel better soon, Alexi.  :empathy: Can't wait to read your thoughts on Capital, as you know how much I enjoyed it!  :)

Hope you feel better soon. :smile:  Those two books are on my current reading plan so I should get to them in the next month or so.

I finished Forever and Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore last night. I had really high hopes for the latter, but it was just weird (and not in a good way) and not all that enjoyable. Towards the end, I was reading it just to finish it.

I felt exactly the same about Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore.  Good start, but once it got to the conclusion, it just went in a direction I wasn't expecting and didn't like, and finished it in a grump. :(

I've just finished reading last weeks chapters of Nicholas Nickleby :blush: and am going to go back to Love With a Chance of Drowning next. :D

I finished Capital by John Lanchester

Feel better soon :flowers2:

I hope you enjoy it!  I plan to get into it just after the read a thon (depending on how far into the MaddAddam trilogy I am)

Since I am doing the 30 day free trial of amazon/kindel library, I am dropping everything and reading HP and the Chamber of Secrets, just because I can and just because I need to hide in Hogwarts as the little people seem to find me no matter where I hide!!

Please tell me all about it!  :giggle2: I really want it!  How are you liking it?

I hope you feel better soon, Alexi :flowers2:! Did you like Weird Things...?

It's a shame about Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I'm so glad to hear you're liking Horns so far though! I have ordered my copy but the BookDepository hasn't send it yet. They're normally not so quick to send things here, it normally takes a week once it's sent so I think I might have to wait a little while longer. But once it's here I'll definitely be reading it (after I've finished the book I'm then reading etc.) 

I felt exactly the same about Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore.  Good start, but once it got to the conclusion, it just went in a direction I wasn't expecting and didn't like, and finished it in a grump. :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( a real shame. 

Since I am doing the 30 day free trial of amazon/kindel library, I am dropping everything and reading HP and the Chamber of Secrets, just because I can and just because I need to hide in Hogwarts as the little people seem to find me no matter where I hide!!

I love the HP books! I re-read them last year, I really enjoyed to read them again. I hope you enjoy it :). I hope you like the trial, too.

I had such high hopes for it, and it started very promisingly, but then it just seemed to get very, very silly. Such a disappointment. :negative: But I have to say, I would love to work the night-shift in a bookstore, especially one that gets only a couple of customers a night. Just think of the peace and quiet! :D

I dabbled a tad into Joe Hill's Horns this afternoon in class while waiting for my teacher to arrive.  :hide:   I'm sucked in already.  Also have Atwood's Year of the Flood going, I think I may end up reading them both, together. 

On a "whim" I bought Pushin' Up Daisies" by Carolyn Brown and am pleasantly surprised how much I am enjoying the book. I am about 68% through the book. It is a story about 3 sisters that takes place in 1918. I am loving all three of them. The book is on sale at Amazon Kindle for 99 cents.........

http://www.amazon.com/Pushin-Up-Daisies-Carolyn-Brown-ebook/dp/B00A9T95M6/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1412042816&sr=1-3&keywords=pushing+up+daisies

Edited by muggle not

I had such high hopes for it, and it started very promisingly, but then it just seemed to get very, very silly. Such a disappointment. :negative: But I have to say, I would love to work the night-shift in a bookstore, especially one that gets only a couple of customers a night. Just think of the peace and quiet! :D

I didn't even finish Penumbra...can't even remember how far I read into it.  Not a third, IIRC.  Bleech.

I've finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, the book, Michelle kindly sent me.  It was fantastic, a definite 5/5 !  A detective story wrapped in a great spy story.  Review on my book thread.

Thanks again Michelle! :flowers2:

I've finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, the book, Michelle kindly sent me.  It was fantastic, a definite 5/5 !  A detective story wrapped in a great spy story.  Review on my book thread.

I will go and read it, I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

I'm over a third, soon to be half way through Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 0: The Magician's Apprentice and am quite enjoying it.

Thanks, Athena. :)

I'm reading Kirk Douglas's I Am Sparticus: Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist. 

I like Douglas's writing, it's forceful and very direct.  Interesting take on what happened with the famous McCarthy blacklist.  Terrible times.

I've decided to dedicate myself entirely to Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam Trilogy.  It might take me the rest of the year, but I'm going to get through all 1,347 pages.

Exceptions will be a read a thon of the Four books by Veronica Roth on Oct. 3rd weekend, Horns for Horror Month and a group read with Athena and Devi of The Maze Runner (anyone want to join in? November-ish).  

Edited by Anna Begins

I am on book 2 of 2 of A Storm of Swords 2: Blood and Gold. I'm about 58% through it.

Edited by Devi