Your Book Activity - September 2014

Athena

Might be strange, although I didn't like her acting, I was more attracted to Tris :smile:  :blush2:

I like the actress who played Tris - she was in something else I saw recently (can't remember what). Unfortunately, as Tris she looked so similar to an ex-colleague of mine that I found it distracting! :doh:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the actress who played Tris - she was in something else I saw recently (can't remember what). Unfortunately, as Tris she looked so similar to an ex-colleague of mine that I found it distracting! :doh:

I liked the actress who played Tris too. I can imagine that must've been distracting though!

Finished A la Mod: My So-Called Tranquil Family Life in Rural France by Ian Moore this morning.  Loved it and will definitely read the book that follows it.

Not sure whether to carry on with How To Be Both or read the next instalment of Nicholas Nickleby or to start something completely new :dunno:

Not sure whether to carry on with How To Be Both or read the next instalment of Nicholas Nickleby or to start something completely new :dunno:[/font]

Awww, I hope you find something you like :).

I've started Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 3: The High Lord, it seems a bit of time has passed between books two and three, but otherwise continues in pretty much the same way. I've read I think about one quarter of it. I'm liking it so far :).

I tried to read Cuckoo's Calling earlier this year Anna and didn't get on with it.  I've never read any Harry Potter though, so no experience of JK Rowling at all.

Thank you!  I don't feel quite as bad about stopping now!  I have not read the Harry Potters either.  For me, it was just too slow.  And I didn't like the way Strike was introduced.

Thank you!  I don't feel quite as bad about stopping now!  I have not read the Harry Potters either.  For me, it was just too slow.  And I didn't like the way Strike was introduced.

I didn't find the HP books slow at all, but I have The Cuckoo's Calling on my TBR so will let you know what I think when I get around to it. I might read The Casual Vacancy first, though, of her books. I hope you'll read something more enjoyable instead, Anna :).

I tried to read Cuckoo's Calling earlier this year Anna and didn't get on with it.  I've never read any Harry Potter though, so no experience of JK Rowling at all.

I know someone who tried it but had to give up on it as well. I have it on Kindle, and intend to give it a go at some point in the near future.

Started The Humans by Matt Haig. Love it so far...I should finish it this weekend (or even tonight, if I have a good reading session).

I'm catching up with the latest instalments of Nicholas Nickleby that I missed reading because I was on holiday. Not sure what I'm in the mood for really to read alongside it. I'm really enjoying NN so not sure what else will measure up :D

I've decided to break with the order of the Jack Reacher books and go directly to the latest, Personal by Lee Child.  My dad is reading it as well, but is farther.  It is a stand alone and Reacher is already into the thick of it at 5%.  :jump:  I've missed Reacher and my turn back to the dark side is complete :D

Edited by Anna Begins

Well I wish I could say I have 'finished' a book....but if you scroll back to page 2 I'm still reading the same ones.. :giggle:  Just don't seem to be reading very fast at the moment...maybe I need to read some picture books... :giggle2:

Didn't get a chance to read any more of The Humans, as we were busy doing DIY and then out on Dartmoor for the rest of the day.

But I hope to get more reading in today.

Also, I've just bought The Dinner by Herman Koch, as it is today's Kindle Daily Deal. :boogie:

I finished reading Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 3: The High Lord (it was epic!) and started to read Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo - You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder. So far it's pretty good. I'm reading it on my Kindle and have read 120 pages so far.

geordie, which is 1400 pages long?  I went back and couldn't find the reference. :)

15% into Cuckoo's Calling and I just can't handle it.  It is so slow!  And JK Rowling got a ton of $ from me for it, too. 

That's a shame!  I really liked it a lot, but I do like slow books. :D

I didn't find the HP books slow at all, but I have The Cuckoo's Calling on my TBR so will let you know what I think when I get around to it. I might read The Casual Vacancy first, though, of her books. I hope you'll read something more enjoyable instead, Anna :).

I have The Casual Vacancy on the TBR stack as well, I'd like to hear what you think when you get to it.  :)

Also, I've just bought The Dinner by Herman Koch, as it is today's Kindle Daily Deal. :boogie:

Ahhh, hah!  :readingtwo:  :tease:

I've finished something interesting, on kindle.  For my "bringing out book" I read Wyatt (Wyatt Wareen) by Garry Disher.  Very good!  Takes place mostly in Australia, and a little in France.  I hadn't heard of him before, evidently it's a series.  Found  it as a sale item on kindle.

I'm about a third of the way through I Am Pilgrim, and it's excellent!

geordie, which is 1400 pages long?  I went back and couldn't find the reference. :)

IT by Stephen King

I'm about a third of the way through I Am Pilgrim, and it's excellent!

I have this on my TBR pile, so I'm glad to hear it's so good.

I finished The Humans by Matt Haig. Loved it. :boogie:

I've started Tiger Eyes which I bought last night as part of my Judy Blume haul.

I finished The Humans by Matt Haig. Loved it. :boogie:

:smile2: Yay!

I've started Tiger Eyes which I bought last night as part of my Judy Blume haul.

Since you mentioned them yesterday, I've been tempted to add the Judy Blume books to my wish list. Might wait and see what your thoughts are on re-reading them, as worried they might not stand the test of time.

Since you mentioned them yesterday, I've been tempted to add the Judy Blume books to my wish list. Might wait and see what your thoughts are on re-reading them, as worried they might not stand the test of time.

Well, I'm about halfway through Tiger Eyes, and it's as good as I remember. :smile:

My copy of IT has 1376 pages. It's a lot (but in my opinion worth every page, it's such an awesome book)! I'm glad you're enjoying re-reading it, Geordie.

I've read a bit more in You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! but have mainly been busy, bookswise that is, with thinking about my book about books and with this forum.