Your Book Activity - September 2014

Athena

Oh wow, that's high praise! I've read a few of Haig's novels and I've liked them, but for some reason I didn't find the premise of this interesting enough...

I read The Radleys a while ago and enjoyed it, but honestly, The Humans was just brilliant. It started well and I was pleased it was enjoyable, but as I read more, I just found it got better and better, and by the end, I'd completely fallen in love with it. (And it's got a dog in! :D)

I've started Love Nina today, and it's good fun, such an easy read so far. :)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read The Radleys a while ago and enjoyed it, but honestly, The Humans was just brilliant. It started well and I was pleased it was enjoyable, but as I read more, I just found it got better and better, and by the end, I'd completely fallen in love with it. (And it's got a dog in! :D)

Oh yes The Radleys! I remembered there was this one book of Haig's in particular which I really loved, but couldn't remember the title. That was a great read :smile2: Sorry for going on and on about The Humans, but it's sci-fi/fantasy, right? There are aliens? 

Ooh, a dog! :D That's always an incentive... :giggle2: 

While the main character is an alien in a human body (you know that from the very beginning, so it's not a spoiler), it *could* be classified as science fiction, but really, at the end of the day, it's about looking at what it's like to be a human from an objective point of view.  It doesn't feel like science fiction, it just feels like a story about people.

I clicked on it but it was unavailable in my country.

Drat!  That isn't fair! :(

Just stared reading Cuckoo's Calling with my dad on my suggestion.  He started immediately (I didn't mean TODAY), but I started tonight, bad, because he reads so much faster than I do.  This puts Trainspotting on the  back burner, unfortunately.  I still have a new Catherine Ryan Hyde book to devour.

Grrr- I wanted to read this so bad and I just don't know if I can get to it this month!

Well, you've got a lot on your plate at the moment, but you can always reply to a thread, it'll remain open after the month is over.  :)  So, down the road you can comment, if you wish.

While the main character is an alien in a human body (you know that from the very beginning, so it's not a spoiler), it *could* be classified as science fiction, but really, at the end of the day, it's about looking at what it's like to be a human from an objective point of view.  It doesn't feel like science fiction, it just feels like a story about people.

Hm, sounds like Thirty Rocks from the Sun, not too bad :D Maybe I should add the book to my wishlist... Thanks! 

I've moved your topic here and merged it with the existing September thread :).

I hope you enjoy your new book :)!

I wondered where I had gone....took a while to find it... :giggle2:

It doesn't feel like science fiction, it just feels like a story about people.

I'm pretty sure there were people in science fiction last time I looked  :o  :D

I'm currently a hundred pages into The Surgeon's Mate by Patrick O'Brian, and very good it is, too :smile:

I finished my first book in ages! :exc:Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek. Didn't expect some of the twists and turns, I still have to think about it to make sense of it. 

I read it a couple of years ago, and thought it was nice and twisty. :) 

Finished I, Claudius, and probably will go on to Claudius, the God

I read it a couple of years ago, and thought it was nice and twisty. :)

Finished I, Claudius, and probably will go on to Claudius, the God

I have to say my reading was very fragmented and had to start all over again after 230 pages, and it made it somewhat twisted... But what I gathered from it in the end, it was a nice twisty read :)

I'm kinda sorry I gave away my copy of I, Claudius earlier this year, I'm tempted to read it now. I think it's supposed to be great :)

Last night I started reading a book by Mark "Chopper" Read, and it was good, but I think I should read one of my library loans now... So today I started reading A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins. I only managed maybe 8 pages but liked it so far. We'll see if I can get on with it now... 

Today I finished Stephen Fry's Moab in My Washpot, which was wonderful. I was tempted to dive straight into The Fry Chronicles, but I think I'll spread them out a bit.

I received a $50 book voucher in the mail with my credit card reward points, so I went into the city today and splurged on a few books. I'll post details in my thread soon.

On the train ride in and back, I read a bit of The World without Us by Alan Weisman. I was reading it on my iPad, but when I opened it, it wasn't on the page I was up to in the actual book, so I read about half a chapter before I realised I'd already read that part.  :doh: Shows how much I've been taking in! I didn't mind re-reading it though, because it's so interesting.

Today I finished Stephen Fry's Moab in My Washpot, which was wonderful. I was tempted to dive straight into The Fry Chronicles, but I think I'll spread them out a bit.

I received a $50 book voucher in the mail with my credit card reward points, so I went into the city today and splurged on a few books. I'll post details in my thread soon.

On the train ride in and back, I read a bit of The World without Us by Alan Weisman. I was reading it on my iPad, but when I opened it, it wasn't on the page I was up to in the actual book, so I read about half a chapter before I realised I'd already read that part.  :doh: Shows how much I've been taking in! I didn't mind re-reading it though, because it's so interesting.

The books by Stephen Fry are on my wishlist, I'm glad to hear you liked that one :).

I hope you enjoy your new books!

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)!

I finished my first book in ages! :exc:Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek. Didn't expect some of the twists and turns, I still have to think about it to make sense of it. 

Found my old review, post #22, toward the end of the post.....not a long one, very sketchy.  Thought you might like to see our conversation at the time. :)

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7824-pontalbas-2011-reading-list/page-2

I finished Love, Nina this morning, which has taken me a surprisingly long time for some reason I can't quite fathom, as it was an easy and fun read, and I enjoyed it a lot.  This afternoon, I've read the next instalment of Nicholas Nickleby for the week.

I bought A la Mod: My So-Called Tranquil Family Life in Rural France by Ian Moore on the Kindle Daily Deal today, so my TBR hasn't gone down at all! :D

I bought 3 physical books yesterday!  First time in a loooong time.  I bought that Count of Monte Cristo folio edition for my mom, the graphic novel to Clive Barker's Great and Secret Show (for my Barker collection) and the  D'Aulaires' book of Greek Mythology (loved this as a kid).

Then for my Kindle I bought The Best American Short Stories 2013 ($1.99) and The Alchemist ($2.75- odd price, huh?).  Oh!  And I bought "The Answers" issue of Time Magazine.  Very good, but it's a weekly and I'm not sure I can commit to a weekly magazine so I didn't subscribe.   

Found my old review, post #22, toward the end of the post.....not a long one, very sketchy.  Thought you might like to see our conversation at the time. :)

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7824-pontalbas-2011-reading-list/page-2

Thanks for digging up the post in the thread, it was a lot of fun to read our old conversation about the book and Nabokov :D  :friends3:  I'm now tempted to go to the library and borrow the two Nabokov books you recommended :giggle2:

I gave upon the Chopper book for the time being, and then also gave up on A Working Theory of Love, it seemed like a waste of my time at this point :blush: I then started The Dinner by Herman Koch, and I read 70 pages last night in bed. I like it! :o But I think the book definitely benefits from trying to read as much of it at a time as one can. I hope to read more of it today. 

I bought 3 physical books yesterday!  First time in a loooong time.  I bought that Count of Monte Cristo folio edition for my mom, the graphic novel to Clive Barker's Great and Secret Show (for my Barker collection) and the  D'Aulaires' book of Greek Mythology (loved this as a kid).

Then for my Kindle I bought The Best American Short Stories 2013 ($1.99) and The Alchemist ($2.75- odd price, huh?).  Oh!  And I bought "The Answers" issue of Time Magazine.  Very good, but it's a weekly and I'm not sure I can commit to a weekly magazine so I didn't subscribe.

Have fun with your new books :)!

I gave upon the Chopper book for the time being, and then also gave up on A Working Theory of Love, it seemed like a waste of my time at this point :blush: I then started The Dinner by Herman Koch, and I read 70 pages last night in bed. I like it! :o But I think the book definitely benefits from trying to read as much of it at a time as one can. I hope to read more of it today.

I just bought The Dinner in Dutch at the book fair, I'm glad you're enjoying it :).

Started Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop this morning, and it's whizzing past! Good fun and perfect for a lazy day. :D

That's great! The book is on my TBR.

I'm still reading Richard Wiseman - 59 Seconden but am thinking of starting a fiction read alongside it. I'm not sure yet what I feel like though and I should try and get through 59 Seconden too. It's interesting so that's not the problem. I just haven't been in a very reading mood, though it could be a lot worse. Today I spend quite a bit of time sorting out my new books (not quite finished yet but it's getting there).