Doctor Who 2014 - Peter Capaldi

Raven

I can't remember how to hide the text with a spoiler thing, so I'll just say, in regard to last Saturday's episode

Why didn't I see that coming?!!!   :doh:

I really enjoyed this series, there's been a good mix of stories and they seem to be a bit darker, which I've always thought Dr Who should be.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't remember how to hide the text with a spoiler thing, so I'll just say, in regard to last Saturday's episode

Why didn't I see that coming?!!!   :doh:

'cause Moffat is very good at hiding the obvious in plain sight.

I'm wondering where they are going with this, looking forward to Saturday.

I watched the Pertwee story Invasion of the Dinosaurs last night.  The creature effects were dreadful, even for the day, but the story is actually quite good.  New Doctor Who could use some more stories with mad scientists trying to take over the world (or destroy it, as the case might be).

[ Spoiler] (No Space) text then / in space after bracket [ spoiler].

It's about time we had a proper

Female Time lord

as they actually have been a part of The Who Universe for years.

Edited by dex

I'm not sure if you are saying a female "Master" is a good thing, or whether they should introduce a "proper" female Timelord/Lady.  I must admit I'm slightly disappointed Missy wasn't the Rani, as her MO did fit, but I'm hoping that both Susan and Romana will both return in future series, I think they could do a lot with both characters

I quite like what the Moff's done here. He's answered critics insisting there should be a female time lord by making the Master one, and also clarified that time lords can change gender

Edited by ian

Loved the first part of the finale... so much more to it than I first realised. Reveal was obvious but it wasn't about that; it was the build up, the playful nature and prodding at the show itself. Can't wait to see what Moffat does with Saturday's final episode. I'm sure it'll be wonderful and explosive at that.

For the first time in this series, I sat and watched it again yesterday, and still really enjoyed it. As for the gender change, I really don't see what all the fuss is about - and I love the way Michelle Gomez plays the character. However, I do think the guy who played Seb would make an excellent Master.. or even the Doctor.

I wonder what everyone thought of the finale?

There were bits of it I loved (The nods to Gerry Anderson, Missy) and bits I wasn't so keen on (not as much resolution of some questions as I would have liked) but on the whole, I did like it.

Now we have to hope that the Moff can finally write a Christmas special that doesn't suck! 

With Nick Frost as Santa - I'm not holding my breath. (Not that I don't like Nick Frost - but Dr who & Santa? Oh dear!)

I really liked A Christmas Carol; good performances all round and some excellent jokes, but The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe was pretty poor and The Snowmen was just about okay.

I'm still trying to digest the last episode (even though I've seen it twice).  There were some great touches, but a scattering of bits I either didn't like (Osgood, no!) or was really uncomfortable with (CyberBrig).  The latter kind of works on some levels, but on others it really doesn't. 

The weird thing is, after 12 episodes, I still don't know how I feel about Capaldi as the Doctor.  There are moments when I think "that's great!" but there are also moments where his performance alienates me.  I think Clara has come into her own this year, but I would have preferred more of a focus on the Doctor at the start of this new regeneration to get him properly bedded in for me before taking off on the Clara/Danny rollercoaster.

I did cheer when we saw Matt again.

I was over on another forum, reading some reviews on the episode, and they pointed out something I had missed. Just before the opening credits, Clara says "I'm the doctor", and when the credits come on, it's Jenna Coleman's name that features first, not Peter Capaldi. That's started some people to think that actually, Clara IS a time lord of some sort.

Personally, I think it's just the writer's little joke, but it's one of the reasons I still love this show - Those little nuggets  that fuel speculation!

I was over on another forum, reading some reviews on the episode, and they pointed out something I had missed. Just before the opening credits, Clara says "I'm the doctor", and when the credits come on, it's Jenna Coleman's name that features first, not Peter Capaldi. That's started some people to think that actually, Clara IS a time lord of some sort.

Personally, I think it's just the writer's little joke, but it's one of the reasons I still love this show - Those little nuggets  that fuel speculation!

I noticed that, assumed it was a joke. It also looked like her eyes on screen as oppose to Capaldi's but I might be wrong on that.

It certainly made me laugh.  I personally think it was a dig at the "fans" who have been complaining about Clara having too much screen time this year, but either way I am pretty certain she isn't a Timelord as they discount that later in the episode (though following CyberBrig, I don't think anything can be ruled out anymore!).

I noticed that, assumed it was a joke. It also looked like her eyes on screen as oppose to Capaldi's but I might be wrong on that.

You're right, It was Coleman's eyes.

Edited by Raven

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what everyone thought of the finale?

There were bits of it I loved (The nods to Gerry Anderson, Missy) and bits I wasn't so keen on (not as much resolution of some questions as I would have liked) but on the whole, I did like it.

Coming in almost a month late, having just caught up on i-player.

I like Capaldi enormously as the Doctor, but was really disappointed with the finale.  The action was messy, and for me Danny Pink has been a disaster, ruining the Claro Oswald character development.  I got to the stage where every time I heard the words "I love you", I wanted to scream, whilst the last scene in the graveyard was just tedious.  Comfortably the worst series since the revamp for me.

Edited by willoyd

• 3 weeks later...

Me thinks wrapping up the previous season in the Christmas special was a miss-step. 

Hopefully, this marks a break from the bleakness of the last series and a move to something more fun, but I guess we will have to wait until August(?) to find out . . .

Xan had been dying to see it, so as it was on at 6.15pm, I watched it with him. I was then absolutely gutted when it caused him to start questioning the existence of Santa Claus. He's 6 years old, and having The Doctor, Clara, ad every other character in the show, including the elves and Santa himself, saying multiple times that Santa wasn't real was a bit much. Even at the end when the tangerine was shown to show Santa WAS real, he went all Inception on me, and asked if that meant they were still dreaming and Santa wasn't real after all. It really took the shine off Xmas Day for us.

Thankfully, I was eventually able to reassure him, but it was a close thing and I am mightily annoyed at the BBC for running a Xmas special of a show kids watch and love, in an early evening slot when they'll still be up to watch it, and making them think Santa might not be real after all. Way to take the magic out of Xmas for them at an early age. :(