Raven

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I enjoyed that! 

I think I'm starting to get a handle on this new Doctor, but I think it is going to take a few more episodes for him to bed down properly. 

It's a very different take from Matt Smith (who was pretty much fully formed on day one) and David Tennant (who was pretty much up and running once he got out of bed).  He's very much in the same mould as Eccleston in my thinking; he doesn't suffer fools gladly and is in no way a happy huggy Doctor.

Only time will tell . . .

I enjoyed last night's episode. I think this doctor is very deep and is much more complex than other doctors. He may be rude and not very personable but he is certainly intriguing! Clara is still standing out for me though. Some things I want to ask though,

Since when has Clara been a teacher? I thought she was a nanny? Who is Missy?

Loved the episode. It is new and Capaldi has an edgy unfamiliarity that I find compelling. The episode itself was dark and thought provoking and a good use of Daleks who are always deadly. I think we are off to a great start with our new Doctor. :smile:

Regarding Clara;

She was a nanny of sorts to the family of a friend who died, but by the 50th
anniversary episode she was a teacher in her first job. Missy is a mystery to
everyone, although I have seen plenty of "She must be......" theories on
the internet. I am quite happy to wait and see who she turns out to be, and
whether she is a goody or a baddie. :Ddata-cke-saved-src="http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png">

It was a better episode, surprisingly dark for the second one in the series. I know the Doctors have all had different reactions to death but I wasn't keen on Capaldi not caring at all! There wasn't much he could do to stop it but he was a bit cold.

He did have some great one-liners though and next weeks looks a bit more light-hearted and traditional.

'Robot Of Sherwood'- Now this episode was more like the 'Dr Who' I know and love! I thought it was fun, energetic and funny. I'm even getting into Peter Capaldi's darker side. Although he did show a bit of a lighter side than the first 2 episodes. I also liked the actor who played Robin Hood, he was very camp at times! I know that Peter Capaldi isn't going to be my favourite doctor, but he's a good addition to the line up of doctors.

I definitely thought Robot of Sherwood was in improvement on the first two episodes. It was enough, along with the teaser for next week, which looks like it might be very good, to make me decide to watch next week for sure. This week was to be the final chance for me - a sort of three strikes and you're out kind of deal, but it was entertaining and rather enjoyable, so it hooked it back out of the goodbye territory for me.

Xan is really enjoying it, so I'm going to have to go back and get hold of the Eccleston and Tennant eps for him to see as well. I think he'll really enjoy those. :)

Rather enjoyed that episode - best one yet. Thought Xan might get a bit scared, but he enjoyed it and it didn't phaze him at all. Next week looks like Keeley Hawes is in is, so that could be good...

Rather enjoyed that episode - best one yet. Thought Xan might get a bit scared, but he enjoyed it and it didn't phaze him at all. Next week looks like Keeley Hawes is in is, so that could be good...

I agree, last Saturday's episode was the best yet. However it did remind me of anyone episode, a few series' back.

I have warmed to Peter Capaldi as The Doctor very quickly - he reminds of a Christopher Eccleston / Tom Baker cross, if that makes any sense! Anyway, I like that The Doctor is a bit darker and more alien. Amy watched most of Saturdays episode from behind a cushion on the sofa, which to my mind, is exactly the reaction Dr Who should be getting! And for us geeky adults, lots of question that hopefully will be answered later in the series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not since Love and Monsters has fandom been so divided!

I had a real WTF?! moment when the Doctor made his big reveal about what was happening, but having seen it again last night and with a bit of time I've come to the conclusion that Doctor Who is probably the only show I know that has the balls to try something so off the wall as this, play it seriously and actually get away with it.

On another note, a lot of people are commenting on how this was a pro-life story, but I'm not sure I follow their reasoning.

For me, it was one of those stories where you have to not question too much! I wonder if it would have been better as a 2 parter, with more of the effects on the Earth shown.. the only time we saw Earth was a lovely beach, just as the moon disappeared.. with no effect what-so-ever!

The spider (bacteria?!) in the moon base was far too scary for me!  :lurker:

In general... I may be the only one, but I'm really not enjoying Capaldi's Doctor. I know he's not supposed to be like the previous 2, but he's just too rude and miserable for me. I'm not seeing that spark of brilliance and caring that he needs. I'm also not keen on the writing. So, I'm not a fan of Capaldi as the Doctor nor Moffatt as the showrunner... oh dear!

I'm beginning to get the impression that the "marmite" approach to Capaldi's Doctor is a deliberate part of this series plot, but - jerk though you could argue he was - I think he started to click a little more for me this week (especially at the end when he was explaining what his motivations were and he just didn't get it when Clara threw them back in his face*).

I think it's refreshing that after two very approachable Doctor's he's reverted back to a ninth Doctor persona a little more.  Imagine if Eccelston had come after Tennant and Smith, with his "stupid human" patter, he would be a little jarring as well.

*Jenna Colman is doing a bloody good job this year, btw.  Whether you like her character or not, she's put in some very strong acting performances.

In general... I may be the only one, but I'm really not enjoying Capaldi's Doctor. I know he's not supposed to be like the previous 2, but he's just too rude and miserable for me. I'm not seeing that spark of brilliance and caring that he needs. I'm also not keen on the writing. So, I'm not a fan of Capaldi as the Doctor nor Moffatt as the showrunner... oh dear!

You're not the only one, it's been a while since a really good memorable episode. Danny is a complete carbon-copy of Mickey, even has the Doctor mocking him in the same manner. Courtney is incredibly annoying..."Do you really think I'm not special?" Seriously? she sounds like a 6 year old.

Capaldi makes me laugh occasionally but lacks any sort of compassion, it will be interesting to see where they go with it. 

Saturday's episode was better than most of the series so far but the ending was ludicrous...

For a creature to have a 10 million year gestation then lay an egg the same size as itself about 10 seconds after hatching... hmm.

Edited by Timstar

Saturday's episode was better than most of the series so far but the ending was ludicrous...

For a creature to have a 10 million year gestation then lay an egg the same size as itself about 10 seconds after hatching... hmm.

The moon being an egg in the first place was, however, fine . . .

Most of the episode was off-the-scale ludicrous and made no scientific sense at all, but I thought it was a jolly good romp (with some serious bits).

Courtney is incredibly annoying...

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of contact with teenagers! 

After initial annoyance at the character last week I thought she improved this week (she was certainly better than the two kids in Nightmare in Silver last year, either way).

I have to be honest, it was on, but I don't think I watched more than two minutes in total, so I can't really comment on the last episode.

I know I'm not really that familiar with the classic series, but I'm finding it a struggle to find The Doctor I've come to know in New Who in Peter Capaldi's incarnation.  I think he's doing a stirling job as an actor, I just don't see much of the character I've loved since Christopher Ecclestone took over.  I know OH will still watch, but I'll probably do something else while he's watching now.

I'm beginning to get the impression that the "marmite" approach to Capaldi's Doctor is a deliberate part of this series plot, but - jerk though you could argue he was - I think he started to click a little more for me this week (especially at the end when he was explaining what his motivations were and he just didn't get it when Clara threw them back in his face*).

I think it's refreshing that after two very approachable Doctor's he's reverted back to a ninth Doctor persona a little more.  Imagine if Eccelston had come after Tennant and Smith, with his "stupid human" patter, he would be a little jarring as well.

*Jenna Colman is doing a bloody good job this year, btw.  Whether you like her character or not, she's put in some very strong acting performances.

The problem I'm having with this series of 'Dr Who', is that Clara is taking prominence over the Doctor. The programme is called 'Dr Who' , but it feels like he's a secondary character! Does anyone else feel like this?

• 2 weeks later...