Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

I have When I Found You on my TBR and the rest should / will be on my wishlist.

There is another that is quite good, Walk Me Home (Muggle liked it better than When I Found You, but I am the reverse).  In any case, both are excellent.  He is now two ahead of me now though ;) I'm still trying to decide which to read of hers next and I just bought I, Claudius... which I'd love to get to for September's circle.  So many books and not enough time (not even in a life, I don't think!) :readingtwo: I'm days into this Elie Wiesel Memior (even though it's only 432 pages- ugh terrible), but I have been looking up stuff and referencing the events he is writing about, so :shrug: I'm enjoying it.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another that is quite good, Walk Me Home (Muggle liked it better than When I Found You, but I am the reverse).  In any case, both are excellent.  He is now two ahead of me now though ;) I'm still trying to decide which to read of hers next and I just bought I, Claudius... which I'd love to get to for September's circle.  So many books and not enough time (not even in a life, I don't think!) :readingtwo: I'm days into this Elie Wiesel Memior (even though it's only 432 pages- ugh terrible), but I have been looking up stuff and referencing the events he is writing about, so :shrug: I'm enjoying it.

You may want to try Becoming Chloe since you can get it free at the library (that is where I got my download). :) I enjoyed the book.

I finished The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket last night in bed. It was good but started dragging on a bit towards the end. 

I then started reading Great Expectations, and I really liked it. But when I woke up this morning and started thinking about what I remembered of the book, I realized I remembered absolutely nothing. Now when I really, really think about it, things are beginning to surface, but it's still a bit worrying, how the mind is forgetful :D Must be the cold and the move and uni stress. I miss my mojo from the days when it was oh so reliable.  :cry2:

But when I woke up this morning and started thinking about what I remembered of the book, I realized I remembered absolutely nothing. Now when I really, really think about it, things are beginning to surface, but it's still a bit worrying, how the mind is forgetful :D Must be the cold and the move and uni stress. I miss my mojo from the days when it was oh so reliable.  :cry2:

Happens to me all the time: there are several books over the past year or so that I really liked, but for the life of me I can't recall anything about them beyond the very general. Worrying really! OH says the same thing.

You may want to try Becoming Chloe since you can get it free at the library (that is where I got my download). :) I enjoyed the book.

Did you see the sequel on Amazon?  Always Chloe and Other Stories... a short story collection!  I LOVE short stories, so am anxious to read this one too  :giggle2:   I must read Becoming Chloe first though!

I then started reading Great Expectations, and I really liked it. But when I woke up this morning and started thinking about what I remembered of the book, I realized I remembered absolutely nothing. Now when I really, really think about it, things are beginning to surface, but it's still a bit worrying, how the mind is forgetful :D Must be the cold and the move and uni stress. I miss my mojo from the days when it was oh so reliable.  :cry2:

I dunno, might be the book!  I thought I read it, but when I looked it up in my Kindle, I stopped at 67%.  Why, I do not know.  I remember nothing beyond the synopsis :P

But when I woke up this morning and started thinking about what I remembered of the book, I realized I remembered absolutely nothing. Now when I really, really think about it, things are beginning to surface, but it's still a bit worrying, how the mind is forgetful :D Must be the cold and the move and uni stress. I miss my mojo from the days when it was oh so reliable.  :cry2:

This happens to me all the time, and the closer I get to 50 (gulp!), the worse it's becoming. I was actually quite worried at one point but I'm trying not to. I started listening to Nicholas Nickleby on a walk last month but found that after 20 minutes or so I hadn't really taken in what I'd listened to so I stopped. It's about 28 discs long (from memory) and I couldn't even cope with the first. :(

Now that I've finished Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde I'm at a little bit of a loss what to read. I have to admit, I feel my reading hasn't been up to par since I started taking my medication and have been busy with the move. I thought I might read an information book and a manga book simultaneously (but which one?), but I'm not sure yet. Time will tell..

I finished We Were Liars a couple of days ago, but I'll save my thoughts for my review.  :P 

I picked up Italian Ways by Tim Parks (again!), and although I finished the first chapter, I'm just not in the mood for it, so I've put it aside again.  Instead, I started Circle Line: Around London in a Small Boat by Steffan Meyric Hughes, and will probably finish it this afternoon.  No new purchases, but have had one helluva week, and there's still more to come this weekend, so it'll be a while before any book perusing can be done. :D

This happens to me all the time, and the closer I get to 50 (gulp!), the worse it's becoming. I was actually quite worried at one point but I'm trying not to. I started listening to Nicholas Nickleby on a walk last month but found that after 20 minutes or so I hadn't really taken in what I'd listened to so I stopped. It's about 28 discs long (from memory) and I couldn't even cope with the first. :(

I find this often happens with Dickens .. there is so much to take in during the first few chapters and his character casts are enormous. If you could get past that first disc then you'd probably be fine. I really struggled with Bleak House when I first listened to it .. but then it eventually took hold. When you're walking though his books are among the worst for not holding the attention .. because of the detail etc. I've had to re-start his stories lots  :blush2: 

Just finished Heading Out to Wonderful by Robery Goolrick and started The Taste of Apple Seeds by Katharina Hagena which lovely Claire has lent me  :smile: I'm also listening to The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp by Eva Rice .. it was going well but I'm not quite enjoying it as much as I was .. still only halfway through though .. it's a bit of a monster (about 600 pages in real money I think  :D )

I've started The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness this morning, and I love it. I love George and Amanda, and I'm fascinated by Kumiko. About a third of the way through so far … :D

Just finished Heading Out to Wonderful by Robery Goolrick and started The Taste of Apple Seeds by Katharina Hagena which lovely Claire has lent me  :smile: I'm also listening to The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp by Eva Rice .. it was going well but I'm not quite enjoying it as much as I was .. still only halfway through though .. it's a bit of a monster (about 600 pages in real money I think  :D )

Oooh, I hope you like The Taste of Apple Seeds, Kay.  I loved it, and it's one of those books that's staying with me - I can vividly remember passages of it, and I think about it a lot.

I read Eva Rice's book, The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets a while back, which was pretty enjoyable. I liked her style of writing, and thought she did a great job of creating the period setting for it. I thought it was her first book, but looking it up now, it was her third, and she's written another in-between that and The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp. I might have to look up the books and add them to my wish list.

Edited by chesilbeach

Happens to me all the time: there are several books over the past year or so that I really liked, but for the life of me I can't recall anything about them beyond the very general. Worrying really! OH says the same thing.

I dunno, might be the book!  I thought I read it, but when I looked it up in my Kindle, I stopped at 67%.  Why, I do not know.  I remember nothing beyond the synopsis :P

I guess it's more common than we'd think, us not being the only ones.  :empathy:  I guess some books you just remember better than the rest. Maybe because we've read so much, we can't remember them all? :blush::giggle2: It is rather worrying but I think worrying about it would only make it worse. I think it's sometimes about being in a life situation where your mind is otherwise occupied. Or your mood is not taking it in, eventhough you are enjoying the book while reading it. 

Anna Begins, I wonder what happened at 67% into the book :D I wonder if it was in the book or outside the book that was the deal breaker :D

I gave up GE, I'll read it some other time when I have my full capacity. I've switched to The Secret Garden, which is a re-read for me. It's oh so beaufitul :smile2: 

I'm still reading Elie Wiesel, but honestly, it is so good, I don't care how long it takes me to finish.  I also picked up BBC History magazine for September- lots of good stuff in there this (next) month.

Anna Begins, I wonder what happened at 67% into the book :D I wonder if it was in the book or outside the book that was the deal breaker :D

I have no idea, but knowing me last year at the time, it was probably me!  It was odd too, because I usually finish a book once I start, no matter what.  But at 67% in, you'd think I could've hung in there :giggle2:

I really struggled with Bleak House when I first listened to it .. but then it eventually took hold.

This is too bad- I've had Bleak House on my TBR for a while now.  I've heard the same from others.  I will still give it a go, but I don't want to have to slog through it!  Was it just listening to it or the way it was written that gave you problems?

Edited by Anna Begins

This is too bad- I've had Bleak House on my TBR for a while now.  I've heard the same from others.  I will still give it a go, but I don't want to have to slog through it!  Was it just listening to it or the way it was written that gave you problems?

I read it rather than listened to it, and it now sits amongst my favourite half-dozen books ever. I can understand it being difficult to listen to: Dickens does write around the houses a bit at times, and unless you are tuned in to careful listening over extended periods, he'll be a challenge (and not many people today are so tuned in). There's enough people who find him hard enough to read! Again, it's about getting your brain in tune - once you're used to the rhythms of the way he writes, he's actually very readable. Henry James is the killer for me!

Again, it's about getting your brain in tune - once you're used to the rhythms of the way he writes, he's actually very readable. Henry James is the killer for me!

That's good to hear, because I've liked the Dickens I have read (not much).  Didn't he also write a novel about the poverty in tenements?  Or is that Orwell with Paris and London?  I thought they both did.  I googled but now I'm confused. 

I've only heard of The Turn of the Screw by James, but that's just cause I like/ was involved in theater.

Oooh, I hope you like The Taste of Apple Seeds, Kay.  I loved it, and it's one of those books that's staying with me - I can vividly remember passages of it, and I think about it a lot.

Enjoying it so far Claire :) Looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

I read Eva Rice's book, The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets a while back, which was pretty enjoyable. I liked her style of writing, and thought she did a great job of creating the period setting for it. I thought it was her first book, but looking it up now, it was her third, and she's written another in-between that and The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp. I might have to look up the books and add them to my wish list.

I like her writing style too. Weirdly I am enjoying this one less as the story gets more dynamic .. but I am still liking it. Tara herself is a very likeable character .. I just wish she hadn't gone to London to be a pop star :D 

If I'm honest, the first audio I had of it was an old cassette that was read by Sir John Gielgud and it was abridged .. which made it even more difficult to make sense of what is a fairly complicated and involved story. Years later I saw the excellent TV adaptation and that made me pick up the book .. it was all plain sailing then and it's probably my favourite Dickens book now :D I don't usually like watching TV or film adaptations before I've read the books but with Dickens I've made an exception .. more than once .. and it helped enormously.

I have no idea, but knowing me last year at the time, it was probably me!  It was odd too, because I usually finish a book once I start, no matter what.  But at 67% in, you'd think I could've hung in there :giggle2:

Most certainly, especially knowing you've hung in there with The Fountainhead :giggle2::lol: I know what you are capable of! :D

Read a bit more of The Secret Garden. What a wonderful read it is :smile2: 

I've finished Pride and Prejudice. Gorgeous, wonderful book. Must write a full review ASAP!

I'm now a third of the way through a non fiction work on Scottish Independence. With the referendum drawing near I figured I must shift this off the TBR before it becomes irrelevant! It's good so far, lays out the issues in a factual manner without (any perceived!) bias.

Yep, that's the one.

Do you know if it's written for children or for adults? My cover makes it seem like it's for children, which means it'd be easier to read for me. I'm a bit hesistant about classics since the last few experiences I had were that the books were quite difficult. Does it read okay?

Do you know if it's written for children or for adults? My cover makes it seem like it's for children, which means it'd be easier to read for me. I'm a bit hesistant about classics since the last few experiences I had were that the books were quite difficult. Does it read okay?

I think it was written for children and it reads just find, no worries!