Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in-between books again. Been watching too many DVDs. :) 

Still reading a chapter at the time of Dale Carnegie's book How To Stop Worrying and Start Living.  He really has some good and very basic ideas.  Ideas that should be obvious, but when one is in the midst of "worrying", kind of tend to slip one's mind.  Good stuff.  I know I have a copy around here somewhere, but couldn't find it.  So I purchased it for Kindle.  Good price.

I might read the new J.K .Rowling book next, Silkworm....I think that's the name.

Still reading a chapter at the time of Dale Carnegie's book How To Stop Worrying and Start Living.  He really has some good and very basic ideas.  Ideas that should be obvious, but when one is in the midst of "worrying", kind of tend to slip one's mind.  Good stuff.  I know I have a copy around here somewhere, but couldn't find it.  So I purchased it for Kindle.  Good price.

This sounds pretty interesting! How far are you into it?

I've been busy all day, but I have managed to finish The Crane Wife which I thought was fantastic, and I've been listening to A Room With A View by E. M. Forster, narrated by Joanna David, and it's been an absolute joy. :smile2: Not sure what I'll start next, but my TBR shelf is starting to look rather bare again, although I have a handful on my Kindle too.

Athena, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

This sounds pretty interesting! How far are you into it?

Just gotten to the 4th par t(I think).  The 10th chapter anyhow.  He recommends rereading a chapter almost immediately after finishing it.  Then he has "sum ups" at the end of each part.  Must be about 30ish%.

I've been listening to A Room With A View by E. M. Forster, narrated by Joanna David, and it's been an absolute joy.

Have you read it before? I've only read the book once, but seen the movie numerous times. It's so wonderful, isn't it? :smile:

I'm trying to whittle down the older books on my TBR pile, so I am currently reading The Mess We're In: Why Politicians Can't Fix Financial Crises by Guy Fraser-Sampson, and Company of Liars by Karen Maitland.

Just finished a fascinating bit from BBC News Magazine, about a series of robes tied with patters of knots that have been excavated from Inca sites.  In sort of a morris code, archeologists believe it was their system of keeping lists or inventory.  Now I am reading Hillary Mantel's article on Wolf Hall, which I had to stop last night before I fell asleep.   I cheated and skipped to it :smile:

Most certainly, especially knowing you've hung in there with The Fountainhead :giggle2::lol: I know what you are capable of! :D

Read a bit more of The Secret Garden. What a wonderful read it is :smile2:

:giggle2:

I loved The Secret Garden as a early teenager and always wanted to read it as an adult.  So pretty.

I've finished Pride and Prejudice. Gorgeous, wonderful book. Must write a full review ASAP!

I'm now a third of the way through a non fiction work on Scottish Independence. With the referendum drawing near I figured I must shift this off the TBR before it becomes irrelevant! It's good so far, lays out the issues in a factual manner without (any perceived!) bias.

Congrats on completing P&P, I know you were a bit apprehensive.  And wow- that Scottish history sounds daunting!

Edited by Anna Begins

I might read the new J.K .Rowling book next, Silkworm....I think that's the name.

I'd be interested to hear what you think- I have that first one on my revised TBR this year list.  Cuckoo's Calling.

Do you know I've not read it .. I'm ashamed really as it's my Mum's favourite book  :blush2: I do have a copy so must get around to it soon.

Oh, you'd really like it, I'm sure! :smile2: Go fetch :D:giggle2: 

I loved The Secret Garden as a early teenager and always wanted to read it as an adult.  So pretty.

I'm jealous of people who discovered the book as a kid, I only read it two or three years ago the first time. But I really really like it! :smile2: 

Can't wait to go to my very own bed and read in peace! 

Have you read it before? I've only read the book once, but seen the movie numerous times. It's so wonderful, isn't it? :smile:

Yes, I've read it a few times, and the film is in my top three films ever, and I've seen it a whole bunch of times. I needed a new audiobook, so when I saw it was by Joanna David, I couldn't resist, and it's been worth every penny - she's got the perfect voice for it. :)

I finished Sunset Song and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running; I'm not sure what to read next from my way too long TBR! I started The Art of Fielding this morning as an audiobook, and I do have a couple of books from the library so I'll probably choose one of them next. 

I've started to read Douglas A. Puryear - Living Daily with Adult ADD or ADHD: 365 Tips of the Day on my Kindle. I might also start another Love Hina volume (4) or maybe a fiction 'text'book. Yesterday I had a bad headache so I tried starting several books but I couldn't concentrate on much.

I finished Mortal Engines last night. I enjoyed it, but probably won't read any of the sequels.

Today, I started reading Capital by John Lanchester, which is a bit of a daunting 577 pages long, but I've also bought a copy of Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens for my English Counties Challenge which weighs in at a staggering 944 pages! :o

I'm not completely finished with All Rivers Run to the Sea by Elie Wiesel, but I've finished my review, in my thread.  I've really enjoyed it and have about 15% left, sadly.  I dunno what I'm going to read next.  I'm leaning toward more 1st person narratives, as I've really gotten into them lately.  I think I will do Trainspotting via Immersion reading from Amazon, as I can follow along and understand the language better.  I have to wait til payday for that!  I might do something shorter in the meantime, depending on how quickly I finish the last of Elie Wiesel and homework.  I really want to do another book before this month is over.  That would give me 4 for the month- terrible, but better than last month.  I'm thinking of the YA Once (the Once series) by Morris Gleitzman, a recommendation from Twitter's bookadayuk.

Next up for me .... sc_zps45bfcb5b.jpg

"His latest bestseller"?  :D

I'm just over 200 pages into Capital by John Lanchester, and I absolutely love it!  So far there are a lot of characters, but it's not confusing, there's not much happening other than following their daily lives, but it's not boring, and it's like immersing yourself in the life of London which is sort of what you'd expect from a book called Capital!

In other news, I've downloaded a few books for holiday reading from the Kindle Summer Sale ...

Fiction:
Moon Bear by Gill Lewis
Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop by Abby Clements
Jessica Cole: Model Spy by Sarah Sky

Non-fiction:
The Hotel on the Roof of the World: Five Years in Tibet by Alec le Sueur
Toute Allure: Falling in Love in Rural France by Karen Wheeler
Love Nina: Despatches from Family Life by Nina Stibbe