Your Book Activity - August 2014

Athena

I finished Capital yesterday and it was brilliant.  Nearly 600 pages flew by, and I was utterly captivated.

Today, I started Nicholas Nickleby and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm enjoying it!  I've not got very far with Dickens novels in the past, but reading this one as a group read for the English Counties challenge, plus reading it in instalments, I'm feeling a bit less apprehensive about it. :)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started Man is Wolf to Man by Janusz Bardach, on a whim, really.  It was recommended to me by Goodreads, and I already owned it!  Which is good because I can't find it on Amazon anymore.  I read alot about the Holocaust and Gulag's, but this one is really harsh, with a dark sense of foreboding and I haven't even gotten to the worst parts yet.  I'm 17% in.  I also have an essay to read for class today, which I am putting off til the last minute.  It's about the changing of traditional families- yawn.  It's 4 standard pages.

I thought of you when i ordered it, i remember you saying it was your favourite. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I hope you like it as much as I do!

I have the feeling I've already read Man is Wolf to Man- does that ever happen to you guys?  I remember certain details, but not the whole thing!

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm just over two thirds into Ready Player One and it is awesome. I feel a fool for not reading it sooner. It's brilliant, I'm loving every page of it.

I have that one on my wishlist. Glad you are enjoying it!

Struggling a bit with The Secret River. I mean, it's quite readable, but I'm in the mood for something snappy and fast-paced and exciting.

I finished Capital yesterday and it was brilliant.  Nearly 600 pages flew by, and I was utterly captivated.

Today, I started Nicholas Nickleby and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm enjoying it!  I've not got very far with Dickens novels in the past, but reading this one as a group read for the English Counties challenge, plus reading it in instalments, I'm feeling a bit less apprehensive about it. :)

I have Capital on TBR, so good to read such a recommendation!

I'm struggling through The New York Trilogy - for me, it's trying to be a bit too clever and it ends up pretentious. Quite looking forward to reading the first part of Nicholas Nickleby for a break :D

I just started Burt Tongues, a collection of transgressive fiction short stories.  The first two have been really good- the stories were picked by Chuck Palahniuk. 

I'm struggling through The New York Trilogy - for me, it's trying to be a bit too clever and it ends up pretentious.

Is the trilogy more like short stories?  Amazon has it listed as 390 pages- is that right?

I just started reading 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green. :readingtwo:

Ahhh- I want to read this so bad!

Oh- hey- didn't you say you read the Once trilogy?  How good is the 3rd book?

I'm just over two thirds into Ready Player One and it is awesome. I feel a fool for not reading it sooner. It's brilliant, I'm loving every page of it.

Told ya! :smile:

I finished Steven Erikson's Deadhouse Gates this afternoon.  Haven't decided what to read next as it's left me in bits :cry:  :D

Decided to go for something completely different next so have just read the first couple of chapters of Jim Crace's Harvest.  It's about time, I suppose, as I bought a few of last year's Booker Prize nominees when they were going for 99p in Amazon's Christmas sale and this'll be the first one of them that I've read.

Finished Stephen Kings Thinner, good book!

I'm glad you liked it!  :smile:

Next up . ..... se_zps0df4ec9b.jpg

I can't wait to get to Trainspotting.  ^^ sounds... um... different lol  Is it in Scottish too?

I'm glad you liked it!  :smile:

I can't wait to get to Trainspotting.  ^^ sounds... um... different lol  Is it in Scottish too?

Haha yes it does sound strange doesnt it. No its not in scottish , its set in America (Miami).

I have Capital on TBR, so good to read such a recommendation!

I'm struggling through The New York Trilogy - for me, it's trying to be a bit too clever and it ends up pretentious. Quite looking forward to reading the first part of Nicholas Nickleby for a break :D

I would highly recommend it, Alexi!  I put it off for a while as it looks such a looong book, but actually, it just flew by. :)

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the first part of Nicholas Nickleby, so fingers crossed the reading in instalments will get me over my Dickens phobia. :D

I read a YA book called Jessica Cole: Model Spy by Sarah Sky which was fun, but not as good as my favourite YA spy books, by Ally Carter, but if I'm in the mood for that sort of book again, I'll probably try them again.

Had a day out yesterday and bought some new books:

The Humans by Matt Haig

Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

The Eye of the Falcon by Michelle Paver (this is for OH as he is reading the series and he didn't know book 3 was out in paperback yet)

I've started reading The Humans already, and I've already chuckled out loud a couple of times. :D

Getting there with 'Mercy' Jodi Picoult...almost half way.....bit of a go slow again.

I hope you enjoy it. It's on my TBR. Are you also reading Oystercatchers? (your profile says you are) That's also on my TBR. I hope your reading will get better soon.

Had a day out yesterday and bought some new books:

The Humans by Matt Haig

Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

The Eye of the Falcon by Michelle Paver (this is for OH as he is reading the series and he didn't know book 3 was out in paperback yet)

I hope you enjoy your new books :)! I have Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist on my wishlist.

I haven't yet settled on which book to read next. I'd prefer to not start a really big book because it's the read-a-thon next weekend but on the other hand it's a read-a-thon every month and this way I might not often get around to bigger books. I'm also not yet sure which genre I feel like reading. I'm currently reading a magazine so I'll be finishing that first most likely and then I should hopefully be able to pick something to my liking.

My grandma gave me Philip Hobsbaum - A Reader's Guide To Charles Dickens, a book my mother used in secondary school for her English class.

Is the trilogy more like short stories?  Amazon has it listed as 390 pages- is that right?

Mine is 340 but the typing is small, which I don't think is helping! But yes, it's a trilogy of short stories, allegedly twists on the detective novel. Pfft, I'm not sure it should be marketed like that, although the lead characters are engaged in detective work that's not really the point of the story so if you're reading for that you will be sorely disappointed.

I'm midway through the second one now.

Just finished some more short stories from Burnt Tongues.  I can already tell, I'd recommend this to someone who likes the bizarre and different.

Mine is 340 but the typing is small, which I don't think is helping! But yes, it's a trilogy of short stories, allegedly twists on the detective novel. Pfft, I'm not sure it should be marketed like that, although the lead characters are engaged in detective work that's not really the point of the story so if you're reading for that you will be sorely disappointed.

I'm midway through the second one now.

That sounds interesting- I love short stories. I'm getting the sample and when I check it out, maybe my dad and I can read it at the same time- although he reads much faster  than I do!   I'd really have to step it up!  I'll wait for your review!

I haven't yet settled on which book to read next. I'd prefer to not start a really big book because it's the read-a-thon next weekend but on the other hand it's a read-a-thon every month and this way I might not often get around to bigger books. I'm also not yet sure which genre I feel like reading. I'm currently reading a magazine so I'll be finishing that first most likely and then I should hopefully be able to pick something to my liking.

I read long books!  And I usually start them after the read- a- thons, take a break during the book for the read- a - thon or just simply use that as my read-a- thon book.  I mean, the purpose is to see how much you can read in a certain amount of time, right?  So, really, you could do it either way.  Sometimes, I've even read two books and switched off.