Weave's Reading Log 2014

Weave

The Reapers are The Angels by Alden Bell ~ Started: 07.09.14 ~ Finished: 09.09.14

Title of Book: The Reapers are The Angels

Name of Author:  Alden Bell

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B00413PICW 

Number of Pages: 238 pages

Synopsis ~

God is a slick god. Temple knows. She knows because of all the crackerjack miracles still to be seen on this ruined globe . . . Older than her years and completely alone, Temple is just trying to live one day at a time in a post-apocalyptic world, where the undead roam endlessly, and the remnant of mankind who have survived, at times, seem to retain little humanity themselves. This is the world she was born into. Temple has known nothing else. Her journey takes her to far-flung places, to people struggling to maintain some semblance of civilization – and to those who have created a new world order for themselves. When she comes across the helpless Maury, she attempts to set one thing right, if she can just get him back to his family in Texas then maybe it will bring redemption for some of the terrible things she's done in her past. Because Temple has had to fight to survive, has done things that she's not proud of and, along the road, she’s made enemies. Now one vengeful man is determined that, in a world gone mad, killing her is the one thing that makes sense . . . 

What I thought of 'The Reapers are The Angels' ~

This is the third time I have read 'The Reapers are The Angels'  and I enjoyed it as much as the first and second time I read it. The only difference from my last review is there was a sequel but not about Temple.

Review from January 2012:

This is the second time I have read 'The Reapers are The Angels' and as always with most of my re~reads I enjoyed it more the second time. Temple is a wonderfully vivid character, her strength, her confidence, her outlook of the world, her vulnerability shine through, she is only 15 years old and has learned to survive the best way she can by constantly moving, isolating herself and dealing with her own past, her guilt.

With my second reading, I found myself focusing more on the character of Moses Todd, a man who is pursuing Temple for his own reasons, which to his credit he sticks to throughout the book, despite whatever happens, like Temple, he is looking for redemption and they both find it.

Also with most books I usually see the potential for a sequel, this would never had worked with 'The Angels are The Reapers', Temple only has one story to tell and its hers. 

A book I know I will read again and again.

Rating: 5/5

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reapers are The Angels is sitting on my shelf. You review and the fact you have read it three times now, makes me want to read it more than ever.

The Reapers are The Angels is sitting on my shelf. You review and the fact you have read it three times now, makes me want to read it more than ever.

Hope you enjoy it Devi :)

Exit Kingdom (The Reapers are The Angel Series~Book 2) ~ Started: 09.09.14 ~ Finished: 12.09.14

Title of Book: Exit Kingdom

Name of Author:  Alden Bell

ASIN: B009WSCUZY 

Number of Pages: 320 pages

Synopsis ~

In a world where the undead outnumber the living, Moses Todd roams the post-apocalyptic plains of America. His reprobate brother, Abraham - his only companion - has known little else.

Together, they journey because they have to; because they have nowhere to go, and no one to answer to other than themselves.

Travelling the bloody wastelands of this ruined world, Moses is looking for a kernel of truth, and a reason to keep going.

And a chance encounter presents him with the Vestal Amata, a beguiling and mysterious woman who may hold the key to salvation.

But he is not the only one seeking the Vestal. For the Vestal has a gift: a gift that might help save what is left of humanity. And it may take everything he has to free her from the clutches of those who most desire her. 

What I thought of 'Exit Kingdom' ~

'Exit Kingdom' is the story of Moses Todd, a man who has been travelling the roads for years as the world changed to a world where zombies exists and no one is really safe.  Moses has learned to live by his wits and keeping his unstable brother, Abraham, safe.  Moses and Abraham find a glimpse of humanity when they are given a task, the task is to take a young girl, a vestal to safety as she may have the key to saving the world. As their journey continues, the brothers find themselves facing odds and also facing themselves, the men they are and the men they could be.

I have read the first book in the series, 'The Reapers are The Angels' three times and enjoyed reading it every time.

I enjoyed 'Exit Kingdom' but not as much as 'The Reapers are The Angels', the story was just as engaging but not as strongly written.  Moses is a interesting character and it was interesting to find out where his life had taken him after meeting Temple and his life before meeting Temple, I just felt that there was something missing and I think it was Temple but this story was not Temple's. 

The story is fast paced, well thought out and raises questions about the world around you and how it can change.

Rating: 3/5

Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy~Book 1) by Margaret Atwood ~ Started: 12.09.14 ~ Finished: 17.09.14

Title of Book: Oryx and Crake

Name of Author:  Margaret Atwood

ASIN: B002TXZR1I 

Number of Pages: 449 pages

Synopsis ~

Pigs might not fly but they are strangely altered. So, for that matter, are wolves and racoons. A man, once named Jimmy, lives in a tree, wrapped in old bedsheets, now calls himself Snowman. The voice of Oryx, the woman he loved, teasingly haunts him. And the green-eyed Children of Crake are, for some reason, his responsibility. 

What I thought of 'Oryx and Crake' ~

This is the third time I have read 'Oryx and Crake' and I still enjoy it as much as I did the first and second time I read it.

Review from 2010:

'Oryx and Crake' tells the story of Jimmy, who is now known as Snowman, a name he has given himself. Snowman is only survivor of a virus, a virus created by Snowman's friend, Crake (his real name is Glenn).

After the virus, Snowman now lives in a tree, (Snowman survived the virus because unknown to him, Crake had been giving him the vaccination for the virus) and is responsible for Crake's children, species which Crake created, they are the perfect being, they have been created without the basic human need to quarrel, etc, they mate and they exist.

'Oryx and Crake' explores many ideas that are currently being discussed now, genetically modified animals, in Oryx and Crake, they are called 'Pigoons', Pigs whose DNA has been spliced with human genetic information and they were engineered to grow multiple organs for transplants, but now, they roam the land, packs of Pigoons which Snowman avoids.

In 'Oryx and Crake', Margaret Atwood highlights Snowman's isolation well, he may have the Children of Crake but Snowman is a different specie to them, they look at him with interest and feed him fish on a weekly basis, they only interact with him when they want to hear stories of Oryx and Crake. Snowman is a brilliant character but a jaded one, he tries to do the best that he can, while at the same time living with the voice of his former lover, Oryx, who torments him on a daily basis. Oryx was also the former teacher of Crake's children.

'Oryx and Crake' explores a world which has now changed, it highlights Snowman's isolation, frustration, confusion brilliantly but at the same time endears Snowman to the reader, you will feel genuinely sorry for Snowman. The book makes you think and I could not help thinking at the end of the book that humans are their own worse enemy. 

The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy~Book 2) by Margaret Atwood ~ Started: 17.09.14 ~ Finished: 21.09.14

Title of Book: The Year of the Flood

Name of Author:  Margaret Atwood

ASIN: B003PPDBMG 

Number of Pages: 529 pages

Synopsis ~

The sun brightens in the east, reddening the blue-grey haze that marks the distant ocean. The vultures roosting on the hydro poles fan out their wings to dry them. the air smells faintly of burning. The waterless flood – a manmade plague – has ended the world.

But two young women have survived: Ren, a young dancer trapped where she worked, in an upmarket sex club (the cleanest dirty girls in town); and Toby, who watches and waits from her rooftop garden. Is anyone else out there? 

What I thought of 'The Year of the Flood' ~

This is the second time I have read 'The Year of the Flood' and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I read it.

Review from 2010:

‘The Year of the Flood’ can be read as a stand alone book but I would recommend reading ‘Oryx and Crake’ first because it’s a wonderful and interesting read. 

‘The Year of the Flood’ starts from the end of Snowman's (Jimmy) story from ‘Oryx and Crake’ and the beginning of Ren and Toby's stories, women who have both survived the pandemic (also known as the ‘Waterless Flood’ by the God’s Gardeners), Ren is isolated in the Scales club she danced in and Toby in the AnooYoo Spa, its early days and both of them are surviving as much as they can, waiting to be rescued. 

Ren and Toby know each other because they were both members of the God’s Gardeners, a group who believe that all life is sacred and use their skills and knowledge to grow their own food,make their own clothes and their own medicines. The story highlights Ren and Toby’s pasts leading up to the present.

At different times in their lives Ren and Toby meet Jimmy (Snowman) and Glenn (Crake), characters from ‘Oryx and Crake’, Ren becomes Jimmy’s girlfriend, Glenn assists a member of the God's Gardeners who is with Toby at the time. All of the characters have interacted at some point, which I thought made great reading because I had so many questions about Snowman, Crake and Oryx. 

Margaret Atwood brings the characters to life with two strong female characters who are both survivors along with the rest of the God’s Gardeners.  As the story progresses, things change within the group which eventually leads to the ‘Waterless Flood’.

‘The Year of the Flood’ is an excellent read and it does answer a lot of questions but it is very different from ‘Oryx and Crake’ (I know there is a risk of comparisons being made between the two books) I found there was more of a feeling of hope in ‘The Year of the Flood’, the God’s Gardeners had so much faith in what they did, which was refreshing, at times there was low points but they worked well, they highlighted how quickly everything changed for some of the characters. 

The book delves further in the ideas of modified animals, food and so on, the God’s Gardeners have very strong ideas about that. The lifestyle of the God’s Gardeners is explored brilliantly, they are trying to make the world a better place, they are living what they feel is a good life but at the same time they are affected by the same frailties of human nature, love, loss, jealously, I felt it showed human nature excellently.

My favourite part was finding out what happened to Jimmy (Snowman), because I did worry about him (yes,sad but true) and you also found out other things and there is a lot of potential for a sequel.

It is a strong story about life and how to survive it, how to react with the situations surrounding you, finding out who you are as a person, no one is perfect and you do the best you can with what you have. 

A great read.

Ah-HA!  I heard you were an Atwood fan!  I'm trying to find a book to get into her with, I think it might be Oryx and Crake.

In any case, my next read will be either that or The Reapers Are the Angels.  I have just enough in the book fund for one ;)

I still might check out Stone Mattress.  Anyway, thanks for the reviews, I think we like similar books :smile:  :readingtwo:

Edit- I like your signature quote.

Edited by Anna Begins

Ah-HA!  I heard you were an Atwood fan!  I'm trying to find a book to get into her with, I think it might be Oryx and Crake.

In any case, my next read will be either that or The Reapers Are the Angels.  I have just enough in the book fund for one ;)

I still might check out Stone Mattress.  Anyway, thanks for the reviews, I think we like similar books :smile:  :readingtwo:

Edit- I like your signature quote.

I think so too :) 'Oryx and Crake' is a great read :) 

It is strange at times but that's the beauty of Margaret Atwood's writing, plus the god's gardeners are slightly strange. :D

It is strange at times but that's the beauty of Margaret Atwood's writing, plus the god's gardeners are slightly strange. :D

I am only 25% in.  It is a bit less strange and I am still trying to see the connection between Year of the Flood and Oryx and Crake (the books, not characters).

I guess it all gets connected in MaddAddam?

I am only 25% in.  It is a bit less strange and I am still trying to see the connection between Year of the Flood and Oryx and Crake (the books, not characters).

I guess it all gets connected in MaddAddam?

They are all connected, certain characters appear throughout 'The Year of the Flood' from 'Oryx and Crake' and its the same with 'The Year of the Flood' and 'MaddAddam' ~ sorry that was a long winded answer.

. :)

Edited by Weave

I took 3 days off for the read a thon, but does it typically take awhile to get through Year of the Flood?  Cause it seems like I should be at 50% right now and I'm only 147 pages in :o  :D Is the whole series a re- read for you?

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Year of the Flood.  There are CDs of the hymns? :o  :o I also love the name donors in the afterword.

I love the names too  Anna Begins, 'Oryx and Crake' were re~read and 'MaddAddam' was first time reading it. :)