Weave's Reading Log 2014

Weave

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree with the rest. Sounds like it would be a great read, shame its not.

I felt bad saying it because it had so many great reviews Devi :)

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey ~ Started: 06.01.14 ~ Finished: 10.01.14

Title of Book: The 5th Wave

Name of Author:  Rick Yancey

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B00BLVO8JQ

Number of Pages: 480 pages

Synopsis ~

THE 1st WAVE

Took out half a million people.

THE 2nd WAVE

Put that number to shame.

THE 3rd WAVE

Lasted a little longer. Twelve weeks . . . Four billion dead.

IN THE 4th WAVE,

You can't trust that people are still people.

AND THE 5th WAVE?

No one knows. But it's coming.

On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs.  Runs from the beings that only look human, who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope. Now Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

What I thought of 'The 5th Wave' ~

'The 5th Wave' is the story of the invasion of Earth and Earth fight against their invaders.  The story begins with Cassie, a survivor who has witnessed all the waves, watched her parents died and her brother being taken from her, now she stays as hidden as she can and has learned that she can not trust anyone.  

Cassie is a fantastic character, she was brave and stubborn.  I loved her insights, despite the seriousness of some situations she finds humour, a way to hide her true feelings.  I also liked Evan, a brooding character who was likeable.

I enjoyed 'The 5th Wave' from start to finish, what a brilliant story, it was inventive, shocking, kept me on the edge of my seat.  There were parts which were sad to read, children being trained to fight against their enemies, children who have not reached their teenage years yet.  

I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series in May of this year.

Rating: 5/5

Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl ~ Started: 11.03.14 ~ Finished: 11.03.14

Title of Book: Fantastic Mr Fox

Name of Author: Roald Dahl 

ASIN: B002RI97O8

Number of Pages: 97 pages

Synopsis ~

Fantastic Mr Fox is the legendary tale of the most cunning fox in the world by Roald Dahl.

Every time Mr Fox steals a chicken from the farm, Farmers Boggis, Bunce and Bean grow wild with rage! They're the nastiest crooks in the valley, and they've concocted a cunning plan to dig him out of his hole once and for all. But it never occurs to them that Mr Fox has a fantastic plan of his own.

What I thought of 'Fantastic Mr Fox' ~

I re~read 'Fantastic Mr Fox' because I watched the film adaptation made by Wes Anderson, which I enjoyed and will no doubt watch again. The story of 'Fantastic Mr Fox' is for me a timeless classic, as are all the stories by Roald Dahl, good memories from my childhood.

The Last Rail Rider by Jason Gurley ~ Started:  25.02.14 ~ Finished:  25.02.14

Title of Book:  The Last Rail Rider
Name of Author:   Jason Gurley
Edition:  Kindle
ASIN:  B00HUDU3DE
Number of Pages:  38

Synopsis ~

He doesn't remember the days before the sickness.

He only knows the world since it went bad. The empty towns. The rusted-out cars. The corpses, everywhere.

He doesn't know why he rides the rails. He just does. The trains never take him away from the ruin. The trains never take him anywhere.

Until one day they carry him to a little town called Black Hole, Kentucky, and he meets a strange woman who knows him.

Who knows everything. 

What I thought of 'The Last Rail Rider' ~

This is my first time reading Jason Gurley, a short story which leaves a impression, the reason for four stars? I wanted the story to be longer!

Rating:  4/5

I love his stuff!  Try The Dark Age.  It's by far his best, I think.  

I love his stuff!  Try The Dark Age.  It's by far his best, I think.  

Will do dtrpath, I saw it and kept forgetting to download it. :blush2:

Cell by Stephen King ~ Started: 11.03.14 ~ Finished: 15.03.14

Title of Book: Cell

Name of Author:  Stephen King

ASIN: B003BKZW4K

Number of Pages: 512 pages

Synopsis ~

Civilization slipped into its second dark age on an unsurprising track of blood but with a speed that could not have been foreseen by even the most pessimistic futurist. By Halloween, every major city from New York to Moscow stank to the empty heavens and the world as it had been was a memory.' The event became known as The Pulse. The virus was carried by every cell phone operating within the entire world. Within hours, those receiving calls would be infected. A young artist Clayton Riddell realises what is happening. He flees the devastation of explosive, burning Boston, desperate to reach his son before his son switches on his little red mobile phone 

What I thought of 'Cell' ~

'Cell' is the story of a world full of technology and what happens when technology turns on the world. 'Cell' begins with 'The Pulse', anyone talking on a cell/mobile phone or near one goes into a blind, violent rage, people fighting and killing each other. 

Clay Riddell witnesses this on a day that his life is about to change for the better, so his story begins as he tries to return home whilst hiding from the 'phone crazies' who attack the non phone crazies on sight, the only break there seems to be is that phone crazies 'rest' at night and move during the day as a hive mind towards their plan lead by a phone crazy who wears a red Harvard hooded jumper named 'The Raggedy Man', who begins to haunt Clay and other survivors dreams.

What does the future hold for them? 

I read 'Cell' when it was released in 2006 and at the time I did enjoy it but did not like the ending because I thought it was too convenient that Clay would find his son so easily but overall a good read. 

This time around I enjoyed 'Cell' a lot more, the characters are well written, Clay, one of the main characters is brilliant as the dad trying to return to his home in Kent Pond for his son, Johnny, you understand his feelings as he desperately tries to get home.

Tom McCourt is a great character too, I found him so likeable and he was a calming effect on the group as they make their way to their destination. As always Stephen King delivers, I enjoyed how much goes into his characters, you get to know them, which is great to read. I do not know what changed from reading it before and now but I enjoyed more the second time.  

Ooh...I am not a huge Stephen King fan, but I read Cell and really enjoyed it. I also found the note at the end explaining that Stephen King does not have a cell phone to be a bit ironic. ;)

Also, I'm going back a bit, but Ready Rider looks like it might be something I'd enjoy. I'll have to check it out.

Edited by dtrpath27

I have seen a few reviews of The Fifth Wave now, and every time I think it sounds really good and mean to look out for it. Thanks for the review, Weave, which has reminded me of it - I have written the names of the book and author down this time so I don't forget this time! :smile:

Ooh...I am not a huge Stephen King fan, but I read Cell and really enjoyed it. I also found the note at the end explaining that Stephen King does not have a cell phone to be a bit ironic. ;)

Also, I'm going back a bit, but Ready Rider looks like it might be something I'd enjoy. I'll have to check it out.

I  avoided my cell/mob phone for awhile after I read 'Cell' :lol: Yeah SK likes to be ironic :) Hope you like 'The Last Rider' :)

I have seen a few reviews of The Fifth Wave now, and every time I think it sounds really good and mean to look out for it. Thanks for the review, Weave, which has reminded me of it - I have written the names of the book and author down this time so I don't forget this time! :smile:

I hope you enjoy 'The 5th Wave' as much as I did Ooshie :)

Cell is on my TBR, I'm glad to read you enjoyed it :). I love Roald Dahl's books too, they're good memories of my childhood.

I hope you enjoy 'Cell' when you read it Athena :) 

The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor ~ Parts 1 & 2 by Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga ~ Started: 15.03.14 ~ Finished: 20.03.14

Title of Book: The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor ~ Parts 1 & 2

Name of Author:  Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga

Editions: Kindle

ASINS: B00FDQPFWE (Part 1) & B00HPYMVGA (Part 2)

Number of Pages: 356 pages (Part 1) & 287 pages (Part 2)

Synopsis ~

Über-villain Phillip Blake has come a long way. He journeyed from humble beginnings into the dark heart of the zombie apocalypse. And here, he has manoeuvred to become a small town’s self-proclaimed leader. But Woodbury’s residents (those who survive) will live to regret the day Blake, aka the Governor, darkened their doors. For the Governor runs a twisted, violent dictatorship within Woodbury’s ever-tightening barricades. Those that manage to breach those barricades find only misery within, and the terror of the zombie menace without. The Governor’s complex story continues in a tour de force of action and horror. Iconic characters from the comic book, including Rick, Michonne, and Glenn, make their entrance onto this nightmarish stage, and fans of The Walking Dead will see these characters in a whole new light. 

What I thought of 'The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor ~ Parts 1 & 2' ~

Following on from the events in 'The Road to Woodbury', a year has passed and Lilly Caul is still living in Woodbury under the watchful eye of The Governor, the arena fights are still going on and the residents of the town are facing starvation, living under the threat of attacks from the walkers outside, etc.  Lilly and other residents go on daily scavenging missions to find supplies, not knowing that a few miles away there are survivors living in a prison and that some of the survivors are coming to Woodbury to find out what they are facing, to find out if the residents of Woodbury are friends or  foes.  Their confrontation with The Governor begins a war, a war where Lilly must decide who to believe and who to fight for.

I liked Lilly more in 'The Fall of The Governor' as opposed to 'The  Road to Woodbury' where I found her to be slightly annoying, very self involved and despite her many denials, she only thought of herself.  In 'The Fall of The Governor' there is a definite change in Lilly, she is more focused and her belief in The Governor confuses her, she does not know whether to trust him or not, which as a reader I found very frustrating.  I also found Lilly more grounded this time around and liked seeing her building a healthy relationship and making plans, I felt her sadness when she experienced a loss.  I loved the appearance of Michonne, Glenn and Rick, having read volume 1 of 'The Walking Dead Compendium' and watched the tv show, I knew the outcome but it was good to read it from the point of view of Lilly. 

The only downside of the books was the fact it was in two parts and I am not the most patient person but I did enjoy both books and I do think there is a potential for more books about Woodbury and Lilly Caul.

Recommended.

Rating for both books: 3/5

I'm glad to see someone else has read The 5th Wave, and enjoyed it as much as I did.  The wait for the second book is torture.  It's not released here until September.

I can't wait for the next part either :)

I bought The 5th Wave for one of my boys for Christmas, he hasn't got round to reading it but i intend to read it myself at some point as it does sound like a really good read  :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought The 5th Wave for one of my boys for Christmas, he hasn't got round to reading it but i intend to read it myself at some point as it does sound like a really good read  :smile:

I hope you and your son both enjoy it Kidsmum, it's a great read. :)

• 2 weeks later...
The Golem And The Djinni by Helen Wecker ~ Started:  20.03.14 ~ Finished:  31.03.14

Title of Book: The Golem And The Djinni

Name of Author:   Helen Wecker

ASIN: B009QU9Z60

Number of Pages: 819 pages

Synopsis ~

New York, 1899. Two strangers, one destiny.

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic. When her master, the husband who commissioned her, dies at sea on the voyage from Poland, she is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York in 1899.

Ahmad is a djinni, a being of fire, born in the ancient Syrian desert. Trapped in an old copper flask by a Bedouin wizard centuries ago, he is released accidentally by a tinsmith in a Lower Manhattan shop. Though he is no longer imprisoned, Ahmad is not entirely free – an unbreakable band of iron binds him to the physical world.

The Golem & The Djinni is their magical, unforgettable story; unlikely friends whose tenuous attachment challenges their opposing natures – until the night a terrifying incident drives them back into their separate worlds. But a powerful threat will soon bring Chava and Ahmad together 

again, challenging their existence and forcing them to make a fateful choice.

What I thought of 'The Golem and the Djinni' ~

I enjoyed 'The Golem and the Djinni' from start to finish.  The story of Chava (The Golem) and Ahmad (The Djinni') both different beings who find themselves in strange surroundings, in this case, New York City in 1899. 

Ahmad is stubborn, struggling with his connection to his old master who he does not remember as Ahmad was a free djinni until he ventured into the human world too closely, the price he paid is a band of iron around his right wrist which can not be removed and the only way to get freedom is by destroying himself.

Chava accepts the world around with a quiet diligence, created by a disgraced rabbi and sold to a master who unfortunately dies during the voyage from Poland to America. Chava finds herself alone until she befriends Rabbi Meyer who helps her to deal with her new life as Chava tries to find her own identity.  As the story progresses Chava and Ahmad find each other and they begin a friendship and as their story continues they find that they are more connected than they realise.

What I love about this story was the vitality of New York shown in the pages, how wonderful written Chava, Ahmad and the other characters are. This story explores so many subjects, magic, spirituality, religion which made interesting reading.

A spectacular debut by Helene Wecker and I highly recommend it.

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham ~ Started: 31.03.14 ~ Finished: 01.04.14

Title of Book: The Chrysalids

Name of Author:  John Wyndham

ASIN: B002RI9VGM

Number of Pages: 212 pages

Synopsis ~

First published in 1955,The Chrysalids is a post-nuclear story of genetic mutation in a devastated world, which tells of the lengths the intolerant will go to to keep themselves pure.

David Strorm's father doesn't approve of Angus Morton's unusually large horses, calling them blasphemies against nature. Little does he realize that his own son, his niece Rosalind and their friends, have their own secret aberration which would label them as mutants. But as David and Rosalind grow older it becomes more difficult to conceal their differences from the village elders. Soon they face a choice: wait for eventual discovery or flee to the terrifying and mutable Badlands ...

What I thought of 'The Chrysalids' ~

'The Chrysalids' is one of my favourite books by John Wyndham. I love the story of David Strorm who lives in Labrador (a region in Canada) where people has historical remnants of 'The Old People' who died due to 'The Great Tribulation', 'The Old People' were a technological advanced society, as opposed to David's people who live off the land and live very religiously, anything or anyone who seen as difference are not allowed, one example being the appearance of a cat without a tail, this was seen as sinful and the animal destroyed. 

At the beginning of the book, David meets Sophie, a girl who lives in isolation with her parents because she has six toes, a secret she must keep and has to stay away from other children. Unfortunately Sophie's secret is revealed so she and family have to leave.

The years past and as David becomes older, he is hiding a secret, he talks telepathically to others, a group of children including his half cousin, Rosalind who also hide their gift. David hides his secret with the help of his Uncle Axel, who makes David promise never to tell anyone of his gift. David keeps his promise until his life changes with the arrival of his baby sister, Petra, who has a gift like David and the others but it's stronger and soon attracts attention. David goes on the run with Petra and Rosalind while Petra communicates with a woman, a woman from a new world, a world that David has dreamed of.

I read 'The Chrysalids' before in paperback (which I bought because I wanted to read the book and I liked the cover). 

I like the story of David, a normal boy with a power who lives in a world where if it was known, he would be hated and killed. David's strong sense of responsibility plays a big part in the story as he strives to keep Petra and Rosalind safe. 

A definite classic.

Edited by Weave

The Day of The Triffids by John Wyndham ~ Started: 01.04.14 ~ Finished: 06.04.14

Title of Book: The Day of The Triffids

Name of Author:  John Wyndham

ASIN: B002RI9YOG 

Number of Pages: 256 pages

Synopsis ~

When Bill Masen wakes up blindfolded in hospital there is a bitter irony in his situation. Carefully removing his bandages, he realizes that he is the only person who can see: everyone else, doctors and patients alike, have been blinded by a meteor shower. Now, with civilization in chaos, the triffids - huge, venomous, large-rooted plants able to 'walk', feeding on human flesh - can have their day. 

What I thought of 'The Day of The Triffids' ~ 

This is my second reading of 'The Day of The Triffids', I enjoyed it this time as much as I did the first time I read it.  The story is original and a classic, with some of the themes being very relevant today. 

The characters are well written and I found Bill to be a interesting character. 

I find the Triffids very creepy and there are genuine moments in the book when you feel the tension, especially at the start when the Triffids use the opportunity to slay as many people as they can because they are blind.  By the end of the book the Triffids are in charge but there is hope for the future of humans too.

Rating: 4/5

Great reviews, Weave. :)

The Day of the Triffids is one of my all times favorites! :D 

I have The Chrysalids on the shelf......have to get to it.