Weave's Reading Log 2014

Weave

I saw the Dorothy Must Die at the store and wondered if it would be any good.  You’ve made me want to read it and the novella now.

I also noticed how many books you read in may.  I envy you. 

Thanks nursenblack, I am reading so much because I'm not working :)

'Dorothy Must Die' is really good, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ajax Penumbra: 1969 by  ~ Started: 28.05.14 ~ Finished: 28.05.14

Title of Book: Ajax Penumbra: 1969

Name of Author:

Edition: Kindle

ISBN-10: B00GF2LNGM 

Number of Pages: 68 pages

Synopsis ~

It is August 1969. The Summer of Love is a fading memory. The streets of San Francisco pulse to the sounds of Led Zeppelin and Marvin Gaye. And of jackhammers: A futuristic pyramid of a skyscraper is rising a few blocks from City Lights bookstore and an unprecedented subway tunnel is being built under the bay. Meanwhile, south of the city, orchards are quickly giving way to a brand-new industry built on silicon.

But young Ajax Penumbra has not arrived in San Francisco looking for free love or a glimpse of the technological future. He is seeking a book—the single surviving copy of the Techne Tycheon, a mysterious volume that has brought and lost great fortune for anyone who has owned it. 

The last record of the book locates it in the San Francisco of more than a century earlier, and on that scant bit of evidence, Penumbra’s university has dispatched him west to acquire it for their library. After a few weeks of rigorous hunting, Penumbra feels no closer to his goal than when he started. But late one night, after another day of dispiriting dead ends, he stumbles across a 24-hour bookstore, and the possibilities before him expand exponentially . . .

What I thought of 'Ajax Penumbra: 1969' ~

I enjoyed reading about the beginning of Mr Penumbra’s 24 hour bookstore, it was a interesting read and at great addition to the first book.

Rating: 3/5

The Giver by Lois Lowry ~ Started: 29.05.14 ~ Finished: 29.05.14

Title of Book: The Giver

Name of Author:  Lois Lowry

ISBN-10: B00ALKO9WE

Number of Pages: 204 pages

Synopsis ~

In a perfect world, Jonas begins to see the flaws…

THE GIVER is the classic award-winning novel that inspired the dystopian genre and a major motion picture adaptation for 2014 starring Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep, Katie Holmes and Taylor Swift.

It is the future. There is no war, no hunger, no pain. No one in the community wants for anything. Everything needed is provided. And at twelve years old, each member of the community has their profession carefully chosen for them by the Committee of Elders.

Twelve-year old Jonas has never thought there was anything wrong with his world. But from the moment he is selected as the Receiver of Memory, Jonas discovers that their community is not as perfect as it seems.

It is only with the help of the Giver, that Jonas can find what has been lost. And it is only through his personal courage that Jonas finds the strength to do what is right…

The Giver is the award-winning classic of bravery and adventure that has inspired countless dystopian writers as the forerunner of this genre.

What I thought of 'The Giver' ~

'The Giver' is the story of Jonas, a 12 year old boy who lives in a perfect world where there is no war, pain or hunger, in this perfect world, everyone lives are planned from the minute they are born until it is their time to died.  Jonas's view of his world is changed dramatically when he is chosen to be the receiver of memory under the tutelage of The Giver, who Jonas will eventually become.  The Giver shows Jonas that the world he lives in is not what it seems and Jonas must find the courage to go what is right and he does.

'The Giver' is a book that I have always wanted to read and I am pleased I read it.  Jonas is a well written character and I enjoyed experiencing the changes he goes through as the world he knew changes and he begins to see the world differently.  The Giver is also a interesting character, he carries the memories of the past, a past that helps decide the future. 

I enjoyed 'The Giver' and I am looking forward to reading the next instalment 'Gathering Blue'.

Rating: 5/5

The Entity by Frank De Felitta ~ Started: 29.05.14 ~ Finished: 01.06.14

Title of Book: The Entity

Name of Author:  Frank De Felitta

ASIN: B00HOV4AGI 

Number of Pages: 406 pages

Synopsis ~

Carlotta Moran, a young single mother with three children, suddenly has her life turned upside down when she begins to be attacked in her bed each night, violated by a spectral rapist. This brutal unseen force makes attempts on her life and terrorizes her children, but the worst part is that no one believes her. Among the skeptics is psychiatrist Dr. Sneidermann, who believes Carlotta is psychotic, a danger to herself and her children who should be committed. But two graduate students in parapsychology have a different theory: that Carlotta is being tormented by a powerful entity from beyond our reality, outside space and time. The tension builds to an electrifying conclusion, and the truth may be far more frightening than any of them ever imagined ...

What I thought of 'The Entity' ~

Carlotta Moran is a single mother who lives with her 3 children, attending classes to obtain a qualification which will lead to a good job, a normal life until Carlotta is attacked by a unseen assailant in her bedroom, at first Carlotta believes she has had a horrific dream but then she is attacked again and seeks safety for herself and her children with a friend.  Carlotta returns home and the attacks continued, attacks by someone she cannot see, Carlotta is afraid and has no one to turn to, until a particular attack endangers her life, Carlotta finds herself seeking psychiatric help while the attacks continues, its not until she seeks helps from parapsychologist that she starts to get her life back and face who is attacking her. 

I remember seeing the film adaptation of 'The Entity' for the first time and I found it hard to believe it was based on a true story but it was and this is the story. The story is interesting, unsettling and very vivid which at times was difficult to read.  The only negative aspect to the story for me was how unhelpful her psychiatrist was, as the story progresses he seems to care more about his budding feelings towards Carlotta than what is happening to her. 

A interesting read.

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry ~ Started: 01.06.14 ~ Finished: 02.06.14

Title of Book: Number the Stars

Name of Author:  Lois Lowry

ASIN: B00ALKPTCS 

Number of Pages: 144 pages

Synopsis ~

The evacuation of Jews from Nazi-held Denmark is one of the great untold stories of World War II. On September 29, 1943, word got out in Denmark that Jews were to be detained and then sent to the death camps. Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country. 

What I thought of 'Number the Stars' ~

I bought 'Number the Stars' after I read 'The Giver'.  I enjoyed 'Number the Stars', it was a interesting read and it shows the strength that people find when face with the unimaginable.  

Annemarie and Marie's friendship is the most important of the story as they live with war while their parents protect them as best they can. 

A well written story, interesting and memorable.

Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth ~ Started: 02.06.14 ~ Finished: 08.06.14

Title of Book: Bitter Greens

Name of Author:  Kate Forsyth

ASIN: B00APDWTFQ 

Number of Pages: 496 pages

Synopsis ~

An utterly captivating reinvention of the Rapunzel fairytale weaved together with the scandalous life of one of the tale's first tellers, Charlotte-Rose de la Force.

Charlotte-Rose de la Force has been banished from the court of Versailles by the Sun King, Louis XIV, after a series of scandalous love affairs. She is comforted by an old nun, Sœur Seraphina, who tells her the tale of a young girl who, a hundred years earlier, is sold by her parents for a handful of bitter greens...

Selena is the famous red-haired muse of the artist Tiziano, first painted by him in 1512 and still inspiring him at the time of his death, sixty-four years later. Called La Strega Bella, Selena is at the centre of Renaissance life in Venice, a world of beauty and danger, seduction and betrayal, love and superstition, retaining her youth and beauty by the blood of young red-haired girls.

After Margherita's father steals a handful of parsley, wintercress and rapunzel from the walled garden of the courtesan Selena Leonelli, he is threatened with having both hands cut off unless he and his wife give away their little red-haired girl. And so, when she turns seven, Margherita is locked away in a tower, her hair woven together with the locks of all the girls before her, growing to womanhood under the shadow of La Strega Bella, and dreaming of being rescued...

Three women, three lives, three stories, braided together to create a compelling story of desire, obsession, black magic and the redemptive power of love 

What I thought of 'Bitter Greens' ~

'Bitter Greens' is the story of three women, Charlotte-Rose de la Force, Selena and Margherita.  Charlotte-Rose finds herself removed from the court of Versailles by Louis XIV because of her various love affairs, Charlotte-Rose does not act like the other ladies of the court, she is never demur, unforgettable but Charlotte-Rose dreams of having a husband and her own family.   Selena is a woman of mystery, you learn more about her beginnings and how she uses witchcraft to get what she wants and Margherita, the young girl who finds herself the victim of a mistake that her parents made.

It took me awhile to get into 'Bitter Greens' but I am pleased I kept reading because it is a great story, all of the women are connected and I enjoyed reading their stories.  

Highly recommended.

Spellbound (the 12th book in the Women of the Otherworld series) by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 08.06.14 ~ Finished: 09.06.14

Title of Book: Spellbound (the 12th book in the Women of the Otherworld series) 

Name of Author:  Kelley Armstrong

ASIN: B00590XRGK

Number of Pages: 350 pages

Synopsis ~

Savannah Levine is in danger. That’s not usually a problem. But, caught in the grip of a disturbing and violent murder case, Savannah swore to give up her unique gifts if it would save an innocent young girl. Little did she know that someone - or something - was listening… Now she has no idea how to restore her powers, just when she needs them the most.

In this compelling, fast-paced new thriller, Savannah has to face a host of deadly enemies bent on destroying not only her, but the very fabric of the supernatural world. As dark forces gather, Savannah isn’t just fighting for her life, but for everything and everyone she loves… 

What I thought of 'Spellbound' ~

I have enjoyed most of the Otherworld series, especially the earlier books and I did enjoy 'Spellbound' to a point, I was just not that enthused by it unfortunately because of Savannah, I felt the same way when I read 'Waking the Witch'. Savannah is not a great character to read, there are stronger characters in the series. Savannah is selfish, inconsiderate, I could go on but basically she is not a nice person.  

The story has plenty of excitement in it but it could have been written better without Savannah as the main character which I know does not make sense but as I said there are stronger and well written characters to chose from.

13 (the 13th book in the Women of the Otherworld series) by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 09.06.14 ~ Finished: 13.06.14

Title of Book: 13 (the 13th book in the Women of the Otherworld series) by Kelley Armstrong

Name of Author:  Kelley Armstrong

ASIN: B007TNY7LO

Number of Pages: 419 pages

Synopsis ~

13. The breath-taking, explosive finale to the Women of the Otherworld series

War is coming to the Otherworld. A sinister cult known as The Supernatural Liberation Movement is hell-bent on exposing the truth about supernaturals to the rest of the world. Their violent, ruthless plan has put everyone at risk: from werewolves to vampires, from witches to half-demons.

Savannah Levine - fiery and unpredictable - stands at the heart of the maelstrom. There is a new, dark magic inside her, granting her the power to summon spells of terrifying strength. But whether this magic is a gift or a curse, no one knows.

On the eve of battle, all the major players must come together in a last, desperate fight for survival - Elena and Clay; Adam and Savannah; Paige and Lucas; Jeremy and Jaime; Hope, Eve and more... They are fighting for lives. They are fighting for their loved ones.

They are fighting for the Otherworld. 

What I thought of '13' ~

This is the final instalment of 'The Women of the Otherworld' and I had always dreaded the series ending but after reading '13' I am glad it has come to a end.  As with the previous two books, Savannah is the main character and despite a huge change in her life, she has not changed for the better.  

The redeeming feature of the book was Elena, Clay, Jeremy, Paige and Lucas, I enjoyed reading their points of view.  The book has a lot of excitement which is good and keeps you entertained.  The downside is the changes to a character which are very sudden changes which I found frustrating. 

I am glad I read 'The Women of the Otherworld' and I will re~read the earlier books but not the later books.

Planets of the Apes by Pierre Boulle ~ Started: 13.06.14 ~ Finished: 14.06.14

Title of Book: Planets of the Apes

Name of Author: Pierre Boulle 

ASIN: B004ZLS4I0 

Number of Pages: 274 pages

Synopsis ~

In a spaceship that can travel at the speed of light, Ulysse, a journalist, sets off from Earth for the nearest solar system. He finds there a planet which resembles his own, but on Soror humans behave like animals, and are hunted by a civilised race of primates. Captured and sent to a research facility, Ulysse must convince the apes of their mutual origins. But such revelations will have always been greeted by prejudice and fear... 

What I thought of 'Planets of the Apes' ~

I have lost count how many times I have watched the film 'Planet of the Apes', the original 1968 film and I always wanted to read the book and I was pleased to see it was released in the kindle edition. 

The film is similar to the book in different parts, in the book, the main character is called 'Ulysse' and the rest of the spaceship crew have different names, the rest of the characters have the same names in the book and film.

As much as I liked and enjoyed the book, I enjoy the film more, the book has many themes throughout, identity, society and how a individual sees the world which was great to read, the only negative aspect to the book was Ulysse, at times he seem very ignorant despite his constant reminder to himself that he was more intelligent and better than the ape society.  

The ending is predicable and I am glad I read it because when all is said and done Pierre Boulle creating this world that eventually became a memorable film.

Edited by Weave

I didn't know the film was based on a book, I'm glad you liked it. Great reviews :).

Thanks Athena :)

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff ~ Started: 15.06.14 ~ Finished: 22.06.14

Title of Book: The Monsters of Templeton

Name of Author: Lauren Groff 

ASIN: B0094HY3P8 

Number of Pages: 480 pages

Synopsis ~

Willie Cooper arrives on the doorstep of her ancestral home in Templeton, New York in the wake of a disastrous affair with her much older, married archaeology professor. That same day, the discovery of a prehistoric monster in the lake brings a media frenzy to the quiet, picture-perfect town her ancestors founded. Smarting from a broken heart, Willie then learns that the story her mother had always told her about her father has all been a lie. He wasn't the one-night stand Vi had led her to imagine, but someone else entirely.

As Willie puts her archaeological skills to work digging for the truth about her lineage, a chorus of voices from the town's past rise up around her to tell their sides of the story. Dark secrets come to light, past and present blur, old mysteries are finally put to rest, and the surprising truth about more than one monster is revealed.

What I thought of 'The Monsters of Templeton' ~

'The Monsters of Templeton' is the story of Wilhelmina 'Willie' Upton (not Cooper as it says in the synopsis) who returns to her home town of Templeton, where her mother, Vivienne lives.  Vivienne and Willie's family history is a big part of Templeton.  Willie has returned home because she has found herself in trouble and needs to get away from her troubles.  Willie is surprised when her Mother tells her truth about her father, Willie having been told by Vi that she was unsure who her father was is more surprised to find out that her father is a resident of Templeton and she has to find out by herself who he is.  

Willie begins to explore her family history and as she does she finds out more and more about her ancestors and their secrets.

I started reading 'The Monsters of Templeton' at the start of the year and for some unknown reason I just could not get into the story, so I put it to one side.  This time, however, when I started reading, I became quickly engrossed by the story and enjoyed it from beginning to end.  The characters are very well written, they are realistic and flawed.  Willie's history is interesting and I enjoyed finding out more about her family and the discovery of who her father is. 

There is something mystical about Templeton and I loved that there was a monster in the lake and how he/she appears throughout the book.

A wonderful book.

Rating: 4/5 

• 1 month later...
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki ~ Started: 22.06.14 ~ Finished: 06.07.14

Title of Book: A  Tale for the Time Being

Name of Author:   Ruth Ozeki

ASIN: B00AO3K01C

Number of Pages: 400 pages

Synopsis ~

Within the pages of this book lies the diary of a girl called Nao. Riding the waves of a tsunami, it is making its way across the ocean. It will change the life of the person who finds it. It might just change yours, too. 

What I thought of 'A Tale for the Time Being' ~

I enjoyed 'A Tale for the Time Being', it was a interesting story and the characters were well written.  Nao, one of the main characters was great to read as she shared her life with the person she hopes would find her diary, I enjoyed the fact that despite what was happening in her life she still had hope. 

I look forward to reading more books by Ruth Ozeki.

The 100 by Kass Morgan ~ Started: 06.07.14 ~ Finished: 08.07.14

Title of Book: The 100

Name of Author:  Kass Morgan 

ASIN: B00BJ5AE24

Number of Pages: 337 pages

Synopsis ~

No one has set foot on Earth in centuries - until now.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents - considered expendable by society - are being sent on a dangerous mission: to re-colonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission.

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves - but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope. 

What I thought of 'The 100' ~

I enjoyed 'The 100', the story was good to read and the premise was interesting, I like the idea of the generations from survivors of a nuclear war living on connected spaceships circulating the Earth.

'The 100' of the title are teenage delinquents who are sent to earth to find if it can be repopulated as the spaceships are breaking down and losing oxygen which the council know about, while the rest of the population have no idea what is about to happen to them.

All the characters are well written and they have their own stories as to why they were imprisoned, some reasons are justifiable and some reasons are ludicrous, needless to say, they are now all on Earth and it's very much survival of the fittest. 

The story ends at exciting point and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series 'Day 21' which is due for released in September of this year.

I have started watching the television adaptation of 'The 100', it's passes the time but the book is better.

Edited by Weave

The Asylum by Johan Theorin ~ Started: 08.05.14 ~ Finished: 09.05.14

Great review, Weave, this is going on my wishlist! :) 

The Giver by Lois Lowry ~ Started: 29.05.14 ~ Finished: 29.05.14

Another great review. And I'm so happy that you enjoyed it so much, especially when you'd been wanting to read it for a while and also probably wanted to like the book. I thought it was great, too, although I've not yet gotten around to reading the sequel :blush: 

The Entity by Frank De Felitta ~ Started: 29.05.14 ~ Finished: 01.06.14

This seems scary as heck :o  :hide:  Going on my wishlist! :D 

Thanks Frankie :)

'The Entity' was scary, the psychiatrist was really frustrating because all he seemed to care about was his feelings and Carlotta is dealing with the horrible attacks!  :o  :o 

Edited by Weave

The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth ~ Started: 08.07.14 ~ Finished: 12.07.14

Title of Book: The Wild Girl

Name of Author: Kate Forsyth

ASIN: B00CW0G5A0 

Number of Pages: 512 pages

Synopsis ~

Dortchen Wild fell in love with Wilhelm Grimm the first time she saw him.

Growing up in the small German kingdom of Hessen-Cassel in early Nineteenth century, Dortchen Wild is irresistibly drawn to the boy next door, the young and handsome fairy tale scholar Wilhelm Grimm.

It is a time of War, tyranny and terror. Napoleon Bonaparte wants to conquer all of Europe, and Hessen-Cassel is one of the first kingdoms to fall. Forced to live under oppressive French rule, the Grimm brothers decide to save old tales that had once been told by the firesides of houses grand and small all over the land.

Dortchen knows many beautiful old stories, such as 'Hansel and Gretel', 'The Frog King' and 'Six Swans'. As she tells them to Wilhelm, their love blossoms. Yet the Grimm family is desperately poor, and Dortchen's father has other plans for his daughter. Marriage is an impossible dream.

Dortchen can only hope that happy endings are not just the stuff of fairy tales. 

What I thought of 'The Wild Girl' ~

I read 'Bitter Greens' also by Kate Forsyth a few months ago and I enjoyed it immensely, the story was well written and I loved all the characters and how I grew to care for them.

I enjoyed 'The Wild Girl' just as much, the character of Dortchen is brilliant to read, there is so much to like about her, she's responsible, spirited, caring, stubborn and tells wonderful stories which she shares with Wilhelm Grimm. 

The story intertwines history that Dortchen and her family witness and suffer and the joys of storytelling.  I felt they worked well together because during the times of darkness and unrest the stories that were shared helped the people around them.   Dortchen's relationship with her father is complicated and as the story progresses it becomes more complicated, it leaps off the page as you read, I could not help but hate her father, there was rare moments of how caring he could be but they were few and far between.  

Dortchen and Wilhelm's relationship was lovely to read and so much keeps them apart, I have never wanted characters in a book to have a happy ending as much as I wanted Dortchen and Wilhelm to have theirs.

After I finished 'The  Wild Girl' I read about Wihelm and Dortchen, they had a good life together which make this story even more special.

I am looking forward to reading more books by Kate Forsyth.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman ~ Started: 12.07.14 ~ Finished: 01.08.14

Title of Book: American Gods

Name of Author:   Neil Gaiman

ISBN-10: B005NACYQU 

Number of Pages: 612 pages

Synopsis ~

After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the time until his release ticks away, he can feel a storm brewing. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But the storm is about to break... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Gaiman's epic novel sees him on the road to the heart of America. Includes extra material exclusive to this Headline Review edition 

What I thought of 'American Gods' ~

This is the first time I have not enjoyed a Neil Gaiman as much as his other books which did surprise me.  The story was great, well written, the characters were wonderful and Shadow was my favourite character.  It was just too long, the version I read was the 10th anniversary edition which now has the full manuscript and as I said it was too long.  

I felt that most parts seemed to ramble on and it did not bring anything to the story.  

It was interesting read and I enjoyed parts of it but I do not think I will read it again.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it so much :(. I have the book on my wishlist, several other people here did like it though I don't know which edition they read.

I wish I had liked it more. :)

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman ~ Started: 01.08.14 ~ Finished: 04.08.14

Title of Book: Anansi Boys

Name of Author:  Neil Gaiman

ASIN: B005NAD7ZW

Number of Pages: 354 pages

Synopsis ~

Fat Charlie Nancy is not actually fat. He was fat once but he is definitely not fat now. No, right now Fat Charlie Nancy is angry, confused and more than a little scared - right now his life is spinning out of control, and it is all his dad's fault.

If his rotter of an estranged father hadn't dropped dead at a karaoke night, Charlie would still be blissfully unaware that his dad was Anansi the spider god. He would have no idea that he has a brother called Spider, who is also a god. And there would be no chance that said brother would be trying to take over his life, flat and fiancée, or, to make matters worse, be doing a much better job of it than him. Desperate to reclaim his life, Charlie enlists the help of four more-than-slightly eccentric old ladies and their unique brand of voodoo - and between them they unleash a bitter and twisted force to get rid of Spider. But as darkness descends and badness begins is Fat Charlie Nancy going to get his life back in one piece or is he about to enter a whole netherworld of pain? 

What I thought of 'Anansi Boys' ~

I first read 'Anansi Boys' a few years ago and I am happy to say I enjoy the book now as much I did the first time I read it.

After his death of his father, Fat Charlie returns to Florida for his funeral where he discovers he has a brother, a brother he has never met and all he has to do to meet his brother is to tell a spider that he wants to see his brother unfortunately Fat Charlie does not believe he has a brother until Spider arrives and descends Fat Charlie's life into chaos, steals Fat Charlie's fiancé Rosie, blackmails Fat Charlie's boss which leads to Fat Charlie being arrested, the list goes on. 

Fat Charlie decides to get rid of his brother, to make him leave because asking Spider to leave does not work and now Fat Charlie is facing a world of gods.

Fat Charlie and Spider are fantastic characters, two brothers who look alike but don't look alike (if that makes sense).  Fat Charlie (who is in fact not fat, he got the name when he was teenager by his Dad), Spider is everything that Fat Charlie is not, he's confident, he does what he wants and he is a god, just like their dad, the god Anansi, the spider god.

As mentioned, I enjoyed this book from start to finish, it was funny, surreal and everything that makes Neil Gaiman's writing great.

I know I will re-read this book.