Weave's Reading Log 2014

Weave

If you liked Heart Shaped Box, you are in for a treat with Horns and NOS4A2!  Joe Hill is probably in my top 5 favorite authors right now and has been since I read Heart Shaped Box and Horns (Horns really did it for me).  He has a host of Kindle Shorts too, some with his dad, too.

I have Wool in my Kindle Sample pile- Amazon is always on me for it...so I'm just skimming the Graphic Novel review.  Good jobs :smile:

(My review for NOS4A2 is here, a 5/5 for me http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12425-annas-books-for-2014/page-5?hl= anna nos4a2 )

I read 'Horns' a few months ago Anna and then read '20th Century Ghosts' straight after, at the time I thought Joe Hill was better at writing short stories than novels but then I read 'Heart-Shaped Box' which is actually his first book and now I think he is better at writing novels, I know, very confusing. I have 'NOS4A2' on my kindle, I am off to read your review. :)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great reviews :)! I own Heart-Shaped Box and the Wool series (the novels) on my Kindle (hope to buy paperback versions at some point), haven't read them yet though.

Hope you enjoy them. :)

I read 'Horns' a few months ago Anna and then read '20th Century Ghosts' straight after, at the time I thought Joe Hill was better at writing short stories than novels but then I read 'Heart-Shaped Box' which is actually his first book and now I think he is better at writing novels, I know, very confusing. I have 'NOS4A2' on my kindle, I am off to read your review. :)

I'm reading of 20th Century Ghosts, I just read on it every now and again.  What did you think of horns?  Do you know they are making a movie with Daniel Radcliff as Ig? It's set to be released on Halloween here in the US.

Well 'Wool' come from the cleaning tool that is used to clean the screen once you have left the silo for good.  I have a vague idea of what a silo would look like inside (I honestly don't where from), it always seemed darker in the stairs, in the graphic novel, engineering is exactly how I imagined it. :)

Thanks for explaining 'wool' for me! :) The name of the novel is 'Siilo' in Finnish and it means 'silo' (duh!), so I've always wondered why it was called 'Wool' in English. 

I couldn't help but laugh a bit when I read you have an idea what a silo looks like inside even if you don't know why. :D Do you sleep walk by any chance? Do you have a darker side to you, Paula? You don't go pillaging silos in the dark of night? :hide:  :lol: 

I'm reading of 20th Century Ghosts, I just read on it every now and again.  What did you think of horns?  Do you know they are making a movie with Daniel Radcliff as Ig? It's set to be released on Halloween here in the US.

Let me know what you think of '20th Century Ghosts' Anna, I saw the trailer for 'Horns' it looks good, I think Daniel Radcliffe will make a good Ig :)

Thanks for explaining 'wool' for me! :) The name of the novel is 'Siilo' in Finnish and it means 'silo' (duh!), so I've always wondered why it was called 'Wool' in English. 

I couldn't help but laugh a bit when I read you have an idea what a silo looks like inside even if you don't know why. :D Do you sleep walk by any chance? Do you have a darker side to you, Paula? You don't go pillaging silos in the dark of night? :hide:   :lol:

I honestly couldn't tell you how I know, who knows what I do in the night :lol:

Let me know what you think of '20th Century Ghosts' Anna, I saw the trailer for 'Horns' it looks good, I think Daniel Radcliffe will make a good Ig :)

I've liked what I've got to so far, but I'm a pretty big Joe Hill fan.  I think Radcliffe will make a good Ig too, especially since Hill has been involved.  It's nice to see Radcliffe branching out and trying new stuff.

I've liked what I've got to so far, but I'm a pretty big Joe Hill fan.  I think Radcliffe will make a good Ig too, especially since Hill has been involved.  It's nice to see Radcliffe branching out and trying new stuff.

It is! I haven't seen any of his other movies except the last half hour of 'The December Boys' :)

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley ~ Started: 25.08.14 ~ Finished: 28.08.14

Title of Book: The Things That Keep Us Here

Name of Author:   Cara Buckley

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B003EH18O8 

Number of Pages: 416 pages

Synopsis ~

It’s every mother’s nightmare. And it’s getting closer. For Ann Brooks, it's been a tough year. But it's about to get worse. Still mourning for the baby she lost and the marriage it cost her, Ann’s bringing up her two young daughters alone. She's about to discover just how strong she can be. Panic has gripped America. A deadly killer is moving across countries and oceans, a virus so deadly it kills every other person it infects. As society grinds to a halt and ordinary families quarantine themselves in their own homes, desperate to avoid its spread, Ann must face her worst fears. But how do you protect your family from a threat you cannot see? Sealed inside the family home she once loved, Ann, Maddie and Kate will have to battle the cold and the dark, food and water shortages, and the greed and violence of their former neighbours if they’re to make it through. Harrowing and deeply moving, Carla Buckley’s debut novel sheds light on the choices we make in the darkest of times, a powerfully compelling thriller that is only too real. 

What I thought of 'The Things That Keep Us Here' ~

'The Things That Keep Us Here' is the story of the Brooks family as they face a nationwide pandemic and fight to survive.

What an amazing read, the characters just pulled you right in and there is so much despair.

Initially I found Ann to be a difficult character to like because there was certain aspects of her personality that I found hard to take but as the story progressed you find out more about Ann and what she has lost and why she will do anything to keep her family safe. 

So much happens to the family as the pandemic takes hold, they find myself confronted with situations they never thought they would find themselves in, they can no longer trust people they have known for years, neighbours become strangers, everyone living with their fear. 

I kept thinking whilst reading 'oh give them a break!' because so much happens to them! The whole family suffer, there are shocks and heartbreaking moments. 

Carla Buckley is a brilliant writer, her characters are well thought out, realistic, endearing, individuals you genuinely care about. 

Highly recommended.

Rating: 5/5

Edited by Weave

Looking For Alaska by John Green ~ Started: 28.08.14 ~ Finished: 31.08.14

Title of Book: Looking For Alaska

Name of Author: John Green 

ASIN: B0084WTGII 

Number of Pages: 273 pages

Synopsis ~

First drink, first prank, first friend, first girl, last words… A poignant and moving crossover novel about making friends and growing up from American author, John Green.

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words – and tired of his safe, boring and rather lonely life at home. He leaves for boarding school filled with cautious optimism, to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. 

What I thought of 'Looking For Alaska' ~

Yet another fantastic book by John Green.  'Looking for Alaska' is the story of Miles, not popular at high school and leads a lonely life, so he sees going to boarding school, Culver Creek as a new start and it is, he makes new friends, starts experiencing life and falls for the enigmatic Alaska. 

I enjoyed 'Looking for Alaska' as much as I enjoyed his other books, John Green writes great stories and great characters.  The characters are well written, I thought Chip or 'The Colonel' as he is called was the best character, he was the mastermind in all of their plans, he expected loyalty from his friends and showed loyalty, just a great character.  Alaska is a good character too, very complex and at times, endearing. I enjoyed the development of Miles as he changes from a teenager who thinks he does not really need friends to a teenager who meets good friends that care about him.

Recommended.

Rating: 4/5

We Were Liars by E.Lockhart ~ Started: 31.08.14 ~ Finished: 01.09.14

Title of Book: We Were Liars

Name of Author:  E.Lockhart

ASIN: B00JWOJ8LM 

Number of Pages: 242 pages

Synopsis ~

A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth. 

What I thought of 'We Were Liars' ~

As bizarre as this sounds I found this book very difficult to review.  I enjoyed it, the story was interesting and while some of the characters were one dimensional, the children in the story were more developed, you saw the potential in all of them. 

The story narrated by Cady is written in a broken way (you find out why) and as you read you learn more about Cady and her actions. 

It is a good read but difficult to describe.

Great reviews! I'm glad you enjoyed both books :). I have Looking for Alaska on my TBR.

Thanks Athena :) I hope you enjoy it too :)

Maybe you guys need to install some cameras in your home ... :giggle2::D

That's an idea Frankie :lol: I'm a night owl anyway and I have a lot of random information in my head (maybe that's why I know what a silo looks like inside :lol:)

You said you read the Once series, is the 3rd one (Now) good- should I read it?  It sounds much different than Once and Then.

It is different but related to the first two stories, I hope you enjoy it Anna :)

Edited by Weave

I was like that growing up, still am to a certain extent. I used to know so many random and unusual facts, people were never surprised when I said "did you know"...

I was like that growing up, still am to a certain extent. I used to know so many random and unusual facts, people were never surprised when I said "did you know"...

That's cool Devi! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Arcadia by Lauren Groff ~ Started: 01.09.14 ~ Finished: 07.09.14

Title of Book: Arcadia

Name of Author:  Lauren Groff

ASIN: B007KOYQE0 

Number of Pages: 304 pages

Synopsis ~

In the fields of western New York State in the 1970s, on the grounds of a decaying mansion called Arcadia House, a few dozen idealists set out to live off the land. Abe and Hannah's only child, Bit, is born into the commune soon after its creation. He grows up there, becoming deeply attached to Arcadia's way of life and everyone within it, in particular the beautiful but troubled Helle. While Arcadia rises and falls, Bit, too, ages and changes. He needs to find a way to live in the world beyond Arcadia, but can he let go of the past to forge a new start? 

What I thought of 'Arcadia' ~

I enjoyed 'Arcadia' from beginning to end, it drew you into the world of a commune where they are rebuilding a mansion renamed 'Arcadia' and the life of Ridley or 'Bit' as he is known because when he was born, someone said he was a 'littlest Bit of hippie' from birth to adulthood. 

Bit is a lovely character to read, you see how much of a part of the commune he is and how close the commune is as they help and look after each other.  The original members of the commune are a large feature in Bit and his family's life and as Bit grows he sees people come and go within the commune, runaways, unwed pregnant girls, also individuals who love the idea of a commune but find they do not love the way of life in a commune.

Bit definitely is the essence of the story and its wonderful to see the world through his eyes.  

Recommended.