Top Posters In This Topic

IT by Stephen King ~ Started: 06.04.14 ~ Finished: 17.04.14

Title of Book: IT

Name of Author:  Stephen King

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B003BKZW7C 

Number of Pages: 1396 pages 

Synopsis ~

It is the children who see - and feel - what makes the town so horribly different. In the storm drains and sewers "It" lurks, taking the shape of every nightmare, each one's deepest dread. As the children grow up and move away, the horror of "It" is buried deep - until they are called back. 

What I thought of 'IT'~

'IT' is definitely one of my favourite books by Stephen King and I have read it a few times now and for me it never gets boring.  The book is much more than horror, its the story of friendship, loyalty, family, facing your fears and keeping a promise.  Pennywise the clown (aka Bob Gray and other names) is an icon in a lot of ways, the image of him as you read the book never leaves you, you feel the fear of the characters as they each face their fear as Pennywise tries to stop them from confronting him which the group eventually do twice in their lives.  

I love the idea of Derry, this small town where so many things happen but are never seen, as the disease of Derry spreads at the hands of Pennywise. The characters are memorable, well written individuals you can identify with, you understand their isolation, their anger towards their bullies and their happiness as they find each other. 

I know I will read 'IT' again and I enjoyed reading it as much as I did the first time I read it.

Rating: 5/5

Pet Sematary by Stephen King ~ Started: 17.04.14 ~ Finished: 22.04.14

Title of Book: Pet Sematary

Name of Author: Stephen King 

ASIN: B003BKZW4U 

Number of Pages: 480 pages

Synopsis ~

The house looked right, felt right, to Dr Louis Creed.

Rambling, old, unsmart and comfortable. A place where the family could settle; the children grow and play and explore. The rolling hills and meadows of Maine seemed a world away from the fume-choked dangers of Chicago.

Only the occasional big truck out on the two-lane highway, grinding up through the gears, hammering down the long gradients, growled out an intrusive threat.

But behind the house and far away from the road: that was safe. Just a carefully cleared path up into the woods where generations of local children have processed with the solemn innocence of the young, taking with them their dear departed pets for burial.

A sad place maybe, but safe. Surely a safe place. Not a place to seep into your dreams, to wake you, sweating with fear and foreboding…

What I thought of 'Pet Sematary' ~

As with most Stephen King titles, I have read them before and this was the case with 'Pet Sematary'.  'Pet Sematary' is a brilliant story about what people will do to have their loved ones back and how, sometimes, dead is better. 

I always found 'Pet Sematary' more emotional than other Stephen King books, due to the experience of loss in the book and the unfairness of one loss in particular, as horrible as it is, you understand Louis's plight to get back what he has lost.  

As with other titles by Stephen (another thing I like about him) is how characters from his other titles are mentioned, this time around, Jud tells Louis the story of the Saint Bernard dog that went rapid, also known as 'Cujo'.

A book that stays with you.

The Faults In Our Stars by John Green ~ Started: 22.04.14 ~ Finished: 24.04.14

Title of Book: The Faults In Our Stars 

Name of Author: John Green

ASIN: B007Z8ZKS2

Number of Pages: 337 pages

Synopsis ~

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love. 

What I thought of 'The Faults In Our Stars' ~

I had 'The Faults In Our Stars' on my kindle for awhile before I got around to reading it and having only read one review about it, I had some trepidation about reading it but I am glad I did.

'The Faults In Our Stars' is the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters, Hazel has terminal thyroid cancer and Augustus is in remission from osteosarcoma.  Hazel is not looking for a relationship, she is more concerned about the effect her death will have on her parents.  Augustus wants to live life to the full and he is taking Hazel with him, slowly they begin to fall in love.

'The Faults In Our Stars' is heartbreaking, brave and as stupid as it sounds, hopeful.  I love Hazel and Augustus, they are brilliant, memorable and strong characters who are both facing the unknown while trying to live as best as they can.

I am not the most emotional person in the world but for most of the book I cried, I cried for Augustus, I cried for Hazel and I cried for my loss too. 

A book that will always stay with me, which I will read again and I am definitely going to be reading more books by John Green.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson ~ Started: 24.04.14 ~ Finished: 02.05.14

Title of Book: The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

Name of Author:  Jonas Jonasson

ASIN: B008D30K7E 

Number of Pages: 396 pages 

Synopsis ~

It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people’s home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The Mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not… Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan’s earlier life in which – remarkably – he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the twentieth century. Already a huge bestseller across Europe, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a fun and feel-good book for all ages. 

What I thought of 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared' ~

This is my second time I have read 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared' and nothing has changed for me, the book is still as good as it was the first time I read it.  Allan Karlsson is one of my favourite characters from literature, they do not make them like Allan.

This is my original review from September 2012:

It is very rare for me to find the perfect book and I found it with ‘The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared’.  The story of Allan Karlsson is not only extraordinary but believable, a man born for adventure, a man who has no interest in politics and accepts everything in his life with a smile (it’s not often that Allan loses his temper) and takes pleasure in the simplest of things.

Allan’s story begins on the day of his 100th birthday when he decides to leave his room at the nursing home where he lives before his party begins (which he did not want in the first place), Karl climbs out the window and finds himself at the bus station where his adventure begins with the decision to take a silver suitcase.  

As I said before, this book is perfect, Allan is an amazing character, I loved his outlook on life and despite the amount of famous people he meets, befriends, it does not change him. Allan’s quiet acceptance is brilliant to read, he is just so likeable.  Allan makes friends as his adventures progresses, who were also great to read.  

The story is gorgeous, different and endearing, I did not want to leave Allan.

Edited by Weave

Nice reviews! :smile:

IT is one of my favorites by Stephen King, and I have read it quite a few times. I love the childhood parts, when the "misfits" slowly start to befriend each other and realise that things aren't right in Derry. I also re-read Pet Semetary earlier this year. I enjoyed it, but at the same time it's not a book you can enjoy due to the subject matter.

I'm one of the few people who didn't get on with The Fault In Our Stars. The dialogue of the characters just didn't ring true for me, and I found them too trendy and cool to be realistic. I'll still watch the movie though.....maybe it will make me give the book another go.

I read The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared this year (or maybe it was last year :doh: ), and while I liked it, I found it a bit too long.

Nice reviews! :smile:

IT is one of my favorites by Stephen King, and I have read it quite a few times. I love the childhood parts, when the "misfits" slowly start to befriend each other and realise that things aren't right in Derry. I also re-read Pet Semetary earlier this year. I enjoyed it, but at the same time it's not a book you can enjoy due to the subject matter.

I'm one of the few people who didn't get on with The Fault In Our Stars. The dialogue of the characters just didn't ring true for me, and I found them too trendy and cool to be realistic. I'll still watch the movie though.....maybe it will make me give the book another go.

I read The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared this year (or maybe it was last year :doh: ), and while I liked it, I found it a bit too long.

Thanks Bobblybear for your insights :)

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis ~ Started: 02.05.14 ~ Finished: 03.05.14

Title of Book: Not a Drop to Drink

Name of Author: Mindy McGinnis

ASIN: B00BATIJYE 

Number of Pages: 320 pages

Synopsis ~

Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water.

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own. 

What I thought of 'Not a Drop to Drink' ~

'Not a Drop to Drink' is the story of Lynn and her Mother who live alone and survive as they protect their only source of water – their pond, they have killed to protect it and will kill again if necessary.  Lynn has never been to the city and has no inclination to do so but everything changes for Lynn after a coyote attack and then strangers appear.

I was pleasantly surprised with 'Not a Drop to Drink', the story was well written and it kept me interested to the very end. Lynn is a strong character, who at the start of the book I did not like but as the story progressed, I understood Lynn better, I know the feeling of putting your guard up to protect yourself. It's the arrival of Eli that changes Lynn, she begins to see people as people who need help and are not enemies, she learns to trust. 

I loved how vivid the story was, you could see the pond, the farmhouse. The story at times is brutal which makes it more realistic, you never know what would you do if ever found yourself without water and no sign of more. 

What I liked most about the book is how strong Lynn is, she does not need rescued, she makes her own decisions and protects the people she has grown to love.

The only flaw for me was the bad guys, you did not learn much about them.

A well written debut and I am looking forward to the sequel 'In a Handful of Dust' which is due for release 23rd April 2014. 

Rating: 4/5

Edited by Weave

Great reviews :)! I loved IT and The Faults in Our Stars too. Pet Semetary is on my TBR and The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared is on my wishlist. It's great to read you've been having some great reads lately.

The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson ~ Started: 03.05.14 ~ Finished: 08.05.14

Title of Book: The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden

Name of Author:  Jonas Jonasson

ASIN: B00GFD6X2A

Number of Pages: 433 pages

Synopsis ~

As delightfully wry and witty as his bestselling debut, ‘The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared’, this is a tale of how one woman’s attempt to change her future ended up changing everything.

Nombeko Mayeki is on the run from the world’s most ruthless secret service – with three Chinese sisters, twins who are officially one person and an elderly potato farmer. Oh, and the fate of the King of Sweden – and the world – rests on her shoulders.

Born in a Soweto shack in 1961, Nombeko was destined for a short, hard life. When she was run over by a drunken engineer her luck changed. Alive, but blamed for the accident, she was made to work for the engineer – who happened to be in charge of a project vital to South Africa’s security. Nombeko was good at cleaning, but brilliant at understanding numbers. The drunk engineer wasn’t – and made a big mistake. And now only Nombeko knows about it …

As uproariously funny as Jonas Jonasson’s bestselling debut, this is an entrancing tale of luck, love and international relations.

What I thought of 'The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden' ~

I began reading 'The Girl who saved the King of Sweden' with trepidation because I enjoyed Jonas Jonasson's debut 'The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared' so much and it's now one of my favourite books, but I am happy to say both books have their strengths but of the two, 'The 100 year old man who climb out the window and disappeared' is my favourite. 

I found 'The Girl who saved the King of Sweden' very funny with eclectic characters who are all interesting and realistic, I especially like the story of the Holgers and the plight of their royal family hating father, Ingmar and their despairing mother, Henrietta who is very patient with her husband. 

Nombeko is a wonderful character, she's intelligent, funny and is one step ahead of everyone which helps her as she grows up, working in the public toilets of Soweto to cleaning for a deceitful nuclear engineer who not only knocked Nomeko down with his car but due to the situation in South Africa at the time, manages to blame Nomeko for the accident. 

Jonas Jonasson writes characters well and that's why his books are a joy to read, his satirical approach to politics are great to read. 

The only downside I found was how long Nomeko put up with the engineer but as you read you realise why and understand.

I look forward to reading his next book. 

Edited by Weave

The Asylum by Johan Theorin ~ Started: 08.05.14 ~ Finished: 09.05.14

Title of Book: The Asylum

Name of Author:  Johan Theorin

ASIN: B00A684RW8 

Number of Pages: 415 pages

Synopsis ~

A chilling Swedish psychological crime novel set between a nursery and a mental asylum, full of sinister intentions, hidden identities and dangerous secrets. 

What I thought of 'The Asylum' ~

The Asylum was a good read, so good in fact, I couldn't put it down, the story pulls you in and you have to know how to ends. 

The story is about loneliness and isolation and consequences which is shown in different aspects throughout the story. The isolation of Jan, the main character is shown well as he tries to recapture something that he lost and his actions to pay back his debt. 

As for the ending? I didn't love it or hate it, I expected it and there is slight potential for a sequel but it would have to be as well done as this book was to work.

Will definitely read more by this author.

Edited by Weave

No Place Like Oz (Dorothy Must Die novella) by Danielle Paige ~ Started: 09.05.14 ~ Finished: 09.05.14

Title of Book: No Place Like Oz (Dorothy Must Die novella)

Name of Author: Danielle Paige

ASIN: B00BATNQHY 

Number of Pages: 132 pages

Synopsis ~

After returning to Kansas, Dorothy Gale has realized that the dreary fields of Kansas don’t compare to the vibrant landscapes of Oz. And although she’s happy to be reunited with Aunt Em, she misses her friends from the yellow brick road. But most of all, Dorothy misses the fame and the adventure. In Kansas she’s just another prairie girl, but in Oz she was a hero. So Dorothy is willing to do anything to get back, because there really is no place like Oz. But returning to the land she left comes at a price, and after Dorothy is through with it, Oz will never be the same.

Perfect for fans of Alex Flinn, Marissa Meyer, and Gregory Maguire, No Place Like Oz is a dark reimagining of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. Building off of its rich mythology, Danielle Paige creates an edgy, thrilling story for teens that chronicles the rise and fall of one of the literature’s most beloved characters. This digital original novella is a prequel that sets the stage for the forthcoming novel Dorothy Must Die. 

What I thought of 'No Place Like Oz' ~

'No place like Oz' begins with Dorothy who returned home to Kansas from Oz two years previously and she has realised that she misses Oz more than she thought she would. Dorothy having told her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry about her adventures in Oz begins to resent them because as much as they say they believe her, Dorothy knows they do not believe her, her resentment grows and then on her 16th birthday, she finds herself back in Oz and this time she's staying there. 

I have never been a fan of 'The Wizard of Oz', I have watched the original film with Judy Garland more than once but I was never a fan, I thought Dorothy was too nice and this novella proves me right! 

I enjoyed 'There's no Place Like Oz', it was well written and it would have worked as a novel with more detail of the aftermath of Dorothy

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige ~ Started: 09.05.14 ~ Finished: 11.05.14

Title of Book: Dorothy Must Die

Name of Author:  Danielle Paige

ASIN: B00DB3D302 

Number of Pages: 469 pages

Synopsis ~

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.

What happened?

Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.

I've been trained to fight.

And I have a mission:

Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.

Steal the Scarecrow's brain.

Take the Lion's courage.

Then and only then—Dorothy must die! 

What I thought of 'Dorothy Must Die' ~

Following on from 'No Place Like Oz', the story begins with Amy, another girl from Kansas, a girl who is different, singled out because she is seen as poor, looking after her mother, who doesn't seem to care about her daughter. As with Dorothy, Amy gets caught in a tornado and ends up in Oz, a different Oz where Dorothy reigns and her friends, The Scarecrow, The Tin Man and The Lion dispense justice towards anyone who goes against Dorothy. 

Amy has been chosen to end Dorothy's reign, a task which troubles and scares Amy but she knows it's the right thing to do. 

I enjoyed 'Dorothy Must Die', I liked Amy, she was a great character, I liked how she faced challenges and proved herself. 

Dorothy is a horrible character and believe me, the more you read, the more you understand why her reign must end but there is always the chance that the next person to reign may be worse than Dorothy. 

The book has a good ending which leads hopefully into a sequel.

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Weave

The Ocean At The End of The Lane by Neil Gaiman ~ Started: 11.05.14 ~ Finished: 13.05.14

Title of Book: The Ocean At The End of The Lane

Name of Author:  Neil Gaiman

ASIN: B00ABLJ5NQ

Number of Pages: 246 pages

Synopsis ~

THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman.

It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it.

His only defence is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang. 

What I thought of 'The Ocean At The End of The Lane' ~

I enjoyed 'The Ocean At The End of The Lane' from beginning to end, I love the story of the narrator facing powers he does not understand in the shape of Ursula who arrives in his home shortly after the suicide of the lodger.  The narrator makes friend with Lettie Hempstock, a girl who lives with her mother, Ginnie and her grandmother, Old Mrs Hempstock, all of the Hempstock women are different and have been part of the world for a long time, now they all have to fight against Ursula. 

As I said, I enjoyed the book from the start to finish, I love the worlds that Neil Gaiman creates and how his stories unfold, you become part of the story.

A  lovely read.

Great reviews! I have The Ocean At The End of The Lane on my TBR. I'm glad you enjoyed your recent reads :).

Thanks Athena :)

Mr Penumbra's 24~Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan ~ Started: 13.05.14 ~ Finished: 18.05.14

Title of Book: Mr Penumbra's 24~Hour Bookstore

Name of Author:  Robin Sloan

ASIN: B00A25NLOU

Number of Pages: 305 pages

Synopsis ~

The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon away from life as a San Francisco web-design drone and into the aisles of Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. But after a few days on the job, Clay discovers that the store is more curious than either its name or its gnomic owner might suggest. The customers are few, and they never seem to buy anything—instead, they “check out” large, obscure volumes from strange corners of the store. Suspicious, Clay engineers an analysis of the clientèle’s behaviour, seeking help from his variously talented friends. But when they bring their findings to Mr. Penumbra, they discover the bookstore’s secrets extend far beyond its walls. Rendered with irresistible brio and dazzling intelligence, Robin Sloan's Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore is exactly what it sounds like: an establishment you have to enter and will never want to leave. 

What I thought of 'Mr Penumbra's 24~Hour Bookstore' ~

I enjoyed this from start to finish, it truly is a book for book lovers, the characters are well written and easy to identify with. Clay Jannon is a brilliant character who I liked, at the beginning of the book he has lost his job because of the recession and he is looking for a job to survive but that when he gets his job as a night shift book clerk I feel he has found a career and he is embraces it which was very refreshing.

I loved the idea of this quirky 24 hour bookstore that was also part of a secret society and how Mr Penumbra was not elitist, his thoughts? Books are all for all. 

A very enjoyable read. 

Nice review :)! I have the book on my wishlist, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It was a great read Athena, I hope you enjoy it too :)

Paper Towns by John Green ~ Started: 18.05.14 ~ Finished: 21.05.14

Title of Book: Paper Towns

Name of Author:  John Green

ASIN: B004M8S2X8 

Number of Pages: 320 pages

Synopsis ~

Who is the real Margo? Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows. After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. She has disappeared. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance . . . and they are for him. Trailing Margo's disconnected path across the USA, the closer Q gets, the less sure he is of who he is looking for. 

What I thought of 'Paper Towns' ~

I am fast becoming a huge fan of John Green, his books are well written, individual, quirky, relevant, all the best stuff you find in books.

I enjoyed the story of Q and Margo, the clues that Margo left were inventive and intelligent, I enjoyed reading how Q, Radar and Ben solved them. The relationship between the 3 boys was highlighted well, right down to the relentless bantering which seems to occur between boys/men (I have two brothers and I am always surprised at how they and their friends speak to each other), especially to Radar and his parents choice of collectables. 

I liked Margo too, she was mysterious and seem to have different faces for different people and the struggles with her parents who did not understand her, while Q's parents are very supportive and understood him but at the same time, they do not 'get' him, they love him, which I think was what Margo needed to be shown more by her parents and they did not not show her, seeing her more as an attentive seeker, which I found a pity. 

I enjoyed 'Paper Towns' and as with the previous book I read by John Green, 'The Fault In Our Stars' I will read it again.

Elijah's Mermaid by Essie Fox ~ Started: 21.05.14 ~ Finished: 27.05.14

Title of Book: Elijah's Mermaid

Name of Author:  Essie Fox

ISBN-10: B009S8AUF0

Number of Pages: 417 pages

Synopsis ~

Following the success of Essie Fox's highly acclaimed debut THE SOMNAMBULIST, this is a gloriously gothic new novel from one of the most talented historical writers around.

Since she was found as a baby, floating in the Thames one foggy night, the web-toed Pearl has been brought up in a brothel known as the House of Mermaids. Cosseted and pampered there, it is only when her fourteenth birthday approaches that Pearl realises she is to be sold to the highest bidder.

Meanwhile, the orphaned twins, Lily and Elijah, have shared an idyllic childhood, raised in a secluded country house with their grandfather, Augustus Lamb. But when Lily and Elijah go on a visit London, a chance meeting with the ethereal Pearl will have repercussions for all of them, binding their fates together in a dark and dangerous way...

In this bewitching, sensual novel, Essie Fox has written another tale of obsessive love and betrayal, moving from the respectable worlds of Victorian art and literature, and into the shadowy demi-monde of brothels, asylums and freak show tents - a world in which nothing and no-one is quite what they seem to be. 

What I thought of 'Elijah's Mermaid' ~

'Elijah's Mermaid' is the story of three people, the twins, Elijah and Lily, and Pearl, a baby found in the Thames river following her mother's suicide.  Elijah and Lily lives begin in the Foundling Home where they abandoned by their mother after their birth, eventually the twins find their home with their grandfather, the father of their deceased father who died before their birth which led to their mother leaving her home in shame and subsequently disappearing. 

Whilst Elijah and Lily have a settled and loving childhood, Pearl is brought up in a brothel where she is shown as 'The Mermaid' due to her web toes.  Pearl is protected and raised by Mrs Hibbert, a woman shrouded in black which hides her face from the world.  Pearl's life changes as her fourteenth birthday approaches, she is told by the sinister Tip Thomas that she will be sold to the highest bidder. Pearl finds herself sold to Osborne Black, an obsessive artist who wants Pearl for a specific reason. As the story progresses the three characters come together and find out how they are all connected.

'Elijah's Mermaid' was a pleasant surprise because I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. There were parts which I found hard to believe but the story works well and I loved the description of Victorian London. Pearl was my favourite character, at times whilst reading I did think (and wish) that she would get some backbone but as the story progresses Pearl changes and its a positive change.  The twins, Elijah and Lily were interesting to read but due to their childhood, they both seemed unaware of the world around them which frustrated me.  The rest of the characters are also well written especially Tip Thomas, who actually makes your flesh crawl as you read.

An interesting read and I hope to read more by Essie Fox.

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau ~ Started: 27.05.14 ~ Finished: 28.05.14

Title of Book: The City of Ember 

Name of Author:  Jeanne DuPrau

ISBN-10: B0031RDWJA 

Number of Pages: 290 pages

Synopsis ~

Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked - but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all - the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness-But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember. Can they decipher the words from long ago and find a new future for everyone? Will the people of Ember listen to them? 

What I thought of 'The City of Ember' ~

I bought 'The City of Ember' after I watched the film adaptation a few weeks ago, which was a good movie, I liked the story.  There are some differences between the book and the film (as always), Doon and Lina are great characters and their quest to find a way out of Ember is interesting as they work out the parchment which was left by the Builders. 

I hope to read the rest of the series at some point.

Rating: 3/5