Weave's Reading Log 2014

Weave

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a book my daughter would like is it YA fiction Paula?  :smile:

I wouldn't consider it YA hen, there some grown up parts :)

Great review of Snake Ropes  :smile: . It's 'in stock' at the local library, so I'll have a look it at tomorrow.

I hope you get to read it :)

I like the sound of it too Weave.

Thanks Devi. its a interesting read, it did take me awhile to get into it but I am glad I kept trying. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth ~ Started: 26.01.14 ~ Finished: 08.02.14

Title of Book: Divergent (Book 1), Insurgent (Book 2), Allegiant (Book 3)

Name of Author: Veronica Roth

Edition: Kindle

ASIN: B004WC07UK (Book 1), B0070R41G0 (Book 2), B00BKZUVGM (Book 3)

Number of Pages: 496 (Book 1), 545 (Book 2), 544 (Book 3)

Synopsis ~

Divergent: One choice can transform you. Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling debut is a gripping dystopian tale of electrifying choices, powerful consequences, unexpected romance, and a deeply flawed "perfect society."

Insurgent: One choice can destroy you. Veronica Roth's second #1 New York Times bestseller continues the dystopian thrill ride. As war surges in the factions all around her, Tris attempts to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Allegiant: The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

What I thought of 'The Divergent Trilogy' ~

The Divergent Trilogy is set in a dystopia Chicago where individuals grow up in factions, Abnegation (The Selfless), Erudite (The Intelligent), Dauntless (The Brave), Amity (The Peaceful) and Candor (The Honest), at the age of sixteen they must complete an aptitude test which shows individuals which factions they are suited to. If a person is suited to more than 2 factions, it's known as Divergent and being Divergent is wrong.

Individuals who do not choose a faction or are unable to achieve within their chosen faction are known as the factionless, they have no place in society.

I enjoyed 'Divergent' and 'Insurgent', strong story, interesting characters and loads of action. I like the idea of the factions, what they stood for. I liked most of the characters but I did not like Tris at all, I know she is the main character and also Divergent but as the story progressed she got more confident (which was good) but incredibly arrogant and not very likeable, on the positive side, she was very well written. The other main character Four started off as a great character and also well written, they made 'Divergent' and 'Insurgent' the great stories they are.

Then there was 'Allegiant'. I could not wait to read it and I hate to say it but I was very disappointed. I did not like the separate chapters for Tris and Four, at times I was not sure whose chapter I was reading. Four changed completely from a brave, self assured man with issues (at times) to a complete wreck! Tris just seemed to get worse as more was revealed about her divergence, she became more arrogant.

The ending was also disappointing, there was potential for a better ending. I'm so disappointed, what began as a fantastic series changed to something forgettable, which is a pity.

Rating:

Divergent 5/5

Insurgent 5/5

Allegiant 2/5

Edited by Weave

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs ~ Started: 08.02.14 ~ From: 10.02.14

Title of Book: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Name of Author: Ransom Riggs

ASIN: B004FGMDOQ

Number of Pages: 352

Synopsis ~

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. 

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

What I thought of 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' ~

This is my third time reading and nothing has changed for me, every time I read it, I take something else away from it, just a brilliant read, now to the Hollow City!

My original review:

'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' is the story of Jacob Portman, an average 15 year old who has been raised listening to his Grandfather Portman's exciting stories of his past, his experiences in the war, his travels and his time spent at a home in Wales during the war following his escape from war torn Poland by his parents to ensure his safety. As Jacob gets older his belief in his Grandfather's stories begin to waiver but everything changes one day when he finds out that the 'monsters' his Grandfather told about him are in fact, real.

So begins Jacob's journey to find out the truth about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I have been looking forward to reading 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' for awhile and I was not disappointed. What an absolutely imaginative, wonderful book, I was enthralled from the first page and did not want the book to end.

The story is told beautifully, you get to know Grandfather Portman as the story progresses and you share Jacob's experiences. There is excitement throughout the book which makes for great reading.

All of the characters are brilliantly written, Jacob, the hero of the piece is searching for answers about his Grandfather's past, and the exciting tales he told of his time living in Cairnholm Bay off the coast of Wales during the war at under the protection of the 'Old Bird' Miss Peregine's Home (which he eventually discovers is called 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'). Jacob is also interested to find out about the residents of the home from the photographs his Grandfather showed him and the ones that Jacob finds in his house, the photographs show a eclectic group of children, all different in their own way.

The children are brilliantly written from Olive (the levitating girl), Millard (the invisible boy), Emma (who can control fire), Bronwyn (who is incredibly strong), Enoch (who can bring the dead back to life) to Hugh (who has bees living in his stomach) and all the other children living their lives at the home.

What truly makes the book special are the photos, they tell a story too and they are beautiful in their own way.
The story is left open ended, I am so looking forward to a sequel.

A future classic and no mistake, read it and enjoy.

Rating: 5/5

Edited by Weave

Yay!!  I loved Miss Peregrine's too, Paula, and I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Hollow City.  The photos were brilliant - getting to see the images of the characters you were reading about was the best :D

I'm loving all of your reviews, Paula. :) Looks like you've had a great start to the reading year! Have you finished Hollow City yet? I can't wait to compare notes with you.

I haven't started it Kylie :blush2: , I tried to then I caught up with 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline :)

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline ~ Started:  10.02.14 ~ Finished:  19.02.14

Title of Book:  Ready Player 0ne

Name of Author:   Ernest Cline

Edition:  Kindle

ASIN:  B005CVWWJY

Number of Pages:  386 

Synopsis ~

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune--and remarkable power--to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved--that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt--among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life--and love--in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

A world at stake.

A quest for the ultimate prize.

Are you ready? 

What I thought of 'Ready Player 0ne' ~

'Ready Player 0ne' is the story of Wade Watts (or Parzival as he known) whose life is consumed by the OASIS, a world you plug yourself in, which the most of the world's population has. Wade's adventure begins when the OASIS creator, James D Halliday passes away, his legacy? A game that if anyone wins, that person gets the OASIS along with the money and stock that comes with it, for Wade who has spent his life living in a stacker, a tower of mobile homes in a large mobile home park, winning would change everything for Wade. He just has to pass the quests and fight a company that wants the OASIS for its own.

I was pleasantly surprised by 'Reader Player One', I started reading it with some caution because I am in no way a 'gamer', I have only really played 'Street Fighter' and that was on my younger brothers sega mega drive (showing my age). I enjoyed James D Halliday's obsession of the 1980's, the clothes, the music, the TV shows, it made me feel nostalgic, I loved how much I recognised and remembered (although I was slightly confused when it came to American TV shows that had never be shown in the UK but Google helped). 

The book also highlights the risks of living in a virtual reality world, Wade for instance does not know how to live in the real world (as does the rest of the world, its very depressing in 2044) and is quite content to hide but as Wade's quest continues he starts to look at the world around him and starts making changes. I liked Wade, he was well written and real, the own downside was his feelings about death but I think that was down to him living as part of the OASIS for most of his life. 

Wade was witty, funny, intelligent and you really want him to win the quest. 

An interesting, nostalgic story which I will read again.

Highly recommended.

Rating:  5/5

Great review :), I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book! I've heard nothing but good things about it, I really should get around to reading it! (the reason I've been putting it off is that my copy is a bit big)

That's why I got it on the kindle, I hope you get the chance to read it Athena :)

Good review Weave  :smile: , and it's on my library wishlist now. 

Thanks Marie, looking forward to reading your review when you read it :)

Hollow City (The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children) by Ransom Riggs ~ Started:  10.02.14 ~ Finished:  25.02.14

Title of Book:  Hollow City (The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children)

Name of Author: Ransom Riggs 

Edition:  Hardback

ISBN-10: 1594746125 

Number of Pages:  352

Synopsis ~

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience. 

What I thought of 'Hollow City' ~

To say I was impatient to read 'Hollow City' was an understatement, I could not wait to get back to Jacob, Emma, Miss Peregrine and the rest of the Peculiar children. I was engrossed from the start of the book (I did start it on the 10th February but got caught up with another book and then went back to reading 'Hollow City'). In 'Hollow City' we are introduced to peculiar animals, who are just as amazing as the peculiar children, they also share sad stories of their past, I would love to see more of Addison, the talking dog in the next book.

I enjoyed reading the progression of Jacob and Emma's relationship, despite their differences and Emma's history with Jacob's grandfather, Abe, I personally think that Emma & Jacob's relationship is different but Abe is still very much with them. 

As with the first book, the peculiar children are wonderful to read, they are so vibrant, different with their own unique personalities, I particularly like Bronwyn, I love how she is the mother to all the children despite her amazing strength she is very gentle. I also like Millard, he's invisible but he makes a impression. 

The story is very well written, it's engaging, you are very much part of their adventure, I found myself speaking out loud while reading because I was so surprised at what had happened. The world is opened to the peculiar children and it highlighted how the children felt about living in Cairnholm for so long.

As with the first book, the photographs are a big part of the book, I love how they have their own story.

The ending was a cliff hanger! And I cannot wait for the third book. 

I will definitely read it again.

Highly recommended 

Rating:  5/5

The Last Rail Rider by Jason Gurley ~ Started:  25.02.14 ~ Finished:  25.02.14

Title of Book:  The Last Rail Rider

Name of Author:   Jason Gurley

Edition:  Kindle

ASIN:  B00HUDU3DE

Number of Pages:  38

Synopsis ~

He doesn't remember the days before the sickness.

He only knows the world since it went bad. The empty towns. The rusted-out cars. The corpses, everywhere.

He doesn't know why he rides the rails. He just does. The trains never take him away from the ruin. The trains never take him anywhere.

Until one day they carry him to a little town called Black Hole, Kentucky, and he meets a strange woman who knows him.

Who knows everything. 

What I thought of 'The Last Rail Rider' ~

This is my first time reading Jason Gurley, a short story which leaves a impression, the reason for four stars? I wanted the story to be longer!

Rating:  4/5

• 3 weeks later...
The Girl With All The Gifts by M R Carey ~ Started: 01.03.14 ~ Finished: 06.01.14

Title of Book: The Girl With All The Gifts

Name of Author:  M R Carey

ASIN: B00B27ECPY

Number of Pages: 416 pages

Synopsis ~

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her 'our little genius'. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh. Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favourite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad. 

What I thought of 'The Girl With All The Gifts' ~

'The Girl With All The Gifts' is the story of Melanie, a young girl who sleeps in a locked cell at night and is secured to a wheelchair to go to class during the day, she and the other members of her class are aware of the world outside but they do not know that they will never return to it. The world has changed, zombie like, looking to feed people named 'hungries' roam the land, survivors live in isolation, the only people brave enough to live outside are known as 'Junkers', scavengers, taking what they need, by force if necessary. The government in a last ditch attempt are trying to understand the 'hungries' by taking the infected children like Melanie and experimenting on them. Melanie and the other children are 'hungries' but Melanie is different, she's the next step, a hungry who can stop herself attacking and much more.

Melanie's life changes when she is forced to leave her home, a government stronghold with Miss Justineau, Doctor Caldwell and two of the soldiers, Sgt Parks and Private Gallagher who protects them.  Melanie finds herself in a world with new senses, sights and her own kind.

'The Girl With All The Gifts' starts well but as the story progressed it did start to lack, I found it increasingly hard to like one of the main character, Miss Justineau, I understood she was dealing with her past but she seemed to be lacking in common sense, so there was a few 'seriously?' moments for me which spoiled the story for me. 

Dr Caldwell, the unfeeling doctor who feels nothing towards Melanie or the other children is difficult to take seriously, to me, she was very over the top, all she needed was an evil cackle. Melanie is a well written character, she was more realistic than the other characters and you want her to succeed and she does in her own way.

'The Girl With All The Gifts' starts off well, it's engaging and you want to know what will happen to Melanie but as the story progresses it begins to lack, which is a pity but still an interesting story. 

Rating: 3/5

Edited by Weave

I can see why the story drew you in at first.  It's a shame it didn't pan out.

It was a shame dtrpath but onwards :)