Has anyone read...?

Janet

The translation I read, gives an interesting historical background to Sun Tzu's life, the various commentators on 'The art of war' and how it came into being. For each of the points made by Sun Tzu, the relevant commentary is included and often an illustrative anecdote. I found this to be an interesting book both historically ( I learnt something about early Chinese history :)) and what Sun Tzu was saying. Worth a read

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The translation I read, gives an interesting historical background to Sun Tzu's life, the various commentators on 'The art of war' and how it came into being. For each of the points made by Sun Tzu, the relevant commentary is included and often an illustrative anecdote. I found this to be an interesting book both historically ( I learnt something about early Chinese history :)) and what Sun Tzu was saying. Worth a read

Sounds fascinating. I sure hope my 1963 version will be just as good. :) I'll let you know what my thoughts are on that one. Got to read it first.

Has anyone read Moonheart by Charles De Lint? Finally bought it,and will read it next.

I've read all his books and I adore them, there's just something about CdL's writing. Really hope you enjoy Moonheart, if that's your first and you do like it try Spiritwalk next :)

I'm intrigued by the pretty rough-cut pages...!

:lol: If I ever write a novel bookjumper, I will definately make sure it is the most attractive looking book I can get designed, at least I know you will buy it on that basis alone! :lol:

... oh sorry no, I haven't read it but it does sound pretty :lol:

If you ever wrote a novel I'd buy it on the basis that you've written it :lol: although prettiness of design has never hurt anyone, except maybe my wallet.

I had the chance of buying this as part of a 3 for

If you ever wrote a novel I'd buy it on the basis that you've written it :friends0: although prettiness of design has never hurt anyone, except maybe my wallet.

I had the chance of buying this as part of a 3 for

Has anyone read Kathy Reichs books? I love the TV-series Bones and it's based on her books. I've heard that people who watch the show are dissapointed with the books.

Has anyone seen the show and liked the books?

xo

Has anyone read Kathy Reichs books? I love the TV-series Bones and it's based on her books. I've heard that people who watch the show are dissapointed with the books.

Has anyone seen the show and liked the books?

xo

I've read them all and have to say the show is very losely based on them. Having said that, I enjoyed them both. The books are a lot more detailed and forensic based with not as much humour as the shows, very like the Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. The show tends to be a lot lighter and more relationship based, still concentrating on the crimes, but with not as much thriller atmosphere as the books. There are quite a few books in the series with the earlier ones being the best, the latter ones kind of get a bit samey, but I definately recommend the first ones. :friends0:

Thank you! I think I will check them out I like the forensic stuff on the show just as much as the humor :-) But I guess that means that Booth and Bones don't date in the books either. When will those two get it together....

Has anyone read Moonheart by Charles De Lint? Finally bought it,and will read it next.

Not read Moonheart myself but have read Greenmantle by Charles De Lint and loved it and it made me search more of his out and moonheart is one that appealed the most - I hope you enjoy it!

Has anyone read Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, I love the Thursday Next series but this seems to be new and different Waterstones have it on offer at the moment but I want to know if its any good?

Chesilbeach has posted a glowing review of Shades of Grey here. I've only read a couple of chapters myself (I have the limited edition so I don't want to use it as my handbag book), however what I have read was brilliant - and I don't even like dystopian fiction. I do miss the Book World, however I see no reason you shouldn't like this if you like Fforde's style and wit.

Has anyone read Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, I love the Thursday Next series but this seems to be new and different Waterstones have it on offer at the moment but I want to know if its any good?

I've read it and as far as I'm concerned Jasper has excelled himself. Yes it is dystopian, but there is a humanistic streak in it as well. You'd have to read to understand what I mean... I didn't review it as Chesil said what I felt about the book, so why repeat?

Has anyone read The Color Purple by Alice Walker? I'm on page 104 and there's this bit in the book that I didn't get at all and I was wondering if someone could explain it to me please? :smile2: Here it is:

Sofia went to jail for not wanting to work for the mayor and, um, also for kicking his ass. Now, how did she get out? I mean I know they sent Squeak to work her magic but what was the actual plan behind Squeak? I read the part twice and I still couldn't get it.

I've read Succubus Blues.

I can't say it's something I would recommend; some of the characters weren't too bad, but the story line was pretty predictable and it had the feel of a piece of fan-fiction to me.

Having said that though, I believe her Vampire Academy books have a good reputation (I think they are written for teenagers, rather than the adult market her other books are aimed at).