Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read The Castle in the Forest by Norman Mailer? The title is really lame but the description sounds interesting.

Who was Adolf Hitler? How do we explain his hatred? Where dit it come from? Could it happen again?

Spanning three generations, and a hundred years of history. Mailer's compulsively readable novel brings to life the Hitler family - (grand)parents, siblings and young Adolf. Playful yet profound, this stirring blend of fact and fiction will cause readers to re-examine all their preconceived ideas about Hitler and his nature of evil.

I'm very excited to start on this one, but I'm still reading Emma and my one book rule is to not start a book until I finished the one I'm reading.

I have read all of Anita Shreve's books, and prefer them to Jodi Picoult as the mystical bits in the more recent Picoult books which I have read have started to irritate me. My least favourite Anita Shreve books are Eden Close, Resistance, Body Surfing, and A Change in Altitude - Light on Snow is indeed a good one. :)

Ooo will definitely give her a whirly whirl then! Thank you.;)

I'm quite certain that Univerze has read at least Exquisite Corpse by the same author, maybe she would know about Lost Souls as well?

Edit: I believe Univerze mentioned EC in the most disturbing novel you've ever read -thread ;)

Okay, wow didn't see this before. But yeah, EC is disturbing and quite explicit in its sexual and other (torture, cannibalism, necrophilia?) descriptions. But Lost Souls isn't a bad one, I mean it revolves around sex a lot, because it's vampires.. you know, exchange of bodily fluids.. but the sex scenes themselves aren't bad, they're not very descriptive or anything. It's a mild book, but well.. it's quite sexual all over, if that makes sense? Everything is described like everyone in the book just has one thing on his mind (sex that is) when you scratch a little deeper than the surface.. and for me that's fine cause I sort of think like that too. :) Ehm. Anyway, if this doesn't bother you, you should read this book, to start reading Poppy Z. Brite I'd start with this one, OR Drawing Blood. The sex scenes are more descriptive there (and pretty much just between men) but this book definitely has got more surreal imagery in it, a thing PB is very good at. Things I remember most from her books are the colors, the way she describes them. Colors and the feel of different places.

So, well, I love Poppy Z. Brite, but I think that with her books it's love or hate, pretty much. No middle way. There's also some books out there with short stories she's written, so if you doubt about reading a full book, try one of those?

Has anyone read The Castle in the Forest by Norman Mailer? The title is really lame but the description sounds interesting.

Who was Adolf Hitler? How do we explain his hatred? Where dit it come from? Could it happen again?

Spanning three generations, and a hundred years of history. Mailer's compulsively readable novel brings to life the Hitler family - (grand)parents, siblings and young Adolf. Playful yet profound, this stirring blend of fact and fiction will cause readers to re-examine all their preconceived ideas about Hitler and his nature of evil.

I'm very excited to start on this one, but I'm still reading Emma and my one book rule is to not start a book until I finished the one I'm reading.

i havent read or heard of this but it sounds really interesting.

Has anyone read The Law of Love by Laura Esquivel? I leafed through it in the bookshop the other day and don't know what to make of it; there would seem to be much to recommend it (the author's pluripremiated, the reviews are pretty much universally awestruck, the cover art is stunning, it's a multimediatic narrative with a CD and funky graphic novel bits, the idea of two souls looking for each other across 1,400 lifetimes is fascinating), yet I'm sorry Ms. Esquivel, but if I were your heroine I would not at all be happy to wait 1,400 lifetimes to be with a so-called soulmate who is

capable of rape

:( if anyone who's read it could kindly explain to me what I'm missing, I would be very grateful.

What does this word mean, Giulia? I've not come across it before. Something to do with multiple something?
Totally my bad, apparently it's not even a word in English, I was translating literally from Italian again :( what I was trying to say was that the author has won many literary awards. Ahem.

No, you're not bad - you're amazing. :D

I can't coherently type in any language but English! I have a pretty good vocab but I'm always up for learning new words so I was intrigued. :lol:

Aw :lol: I'm more lucky than amazing really, it's all down to international parentage and clever parenting :D anyhow, 'pluripremiated' is not technically a word in English because it's not in the dictionary, however I'm not the first to have tried to coin it from the Latin root 'cos according to Google a handful of bloggers have used it in reviews and things.

Has anyone read The Law of Love by Laura Esquivel? I leafed through it in the bookshop the other day and don't know what to make of it; there would seem to be much to recommend it (the author's pluripremiated, the reviews are pretty much universally awestruck, the cover art is stunning, it's a multimediatic narrative with a CD and funky graphic novel bits, the idea of two souls looking for each other across 1,400 lifetimes is fascinating), yet I'm sorry Ms. Esquivel, but if I were your heroine I would not at all be happy to wait 1,400 lifetimes to be with a so-called soulmate who is

capable of rape

:lol: if anyone who's read it could kindly explain to me what I'm missing, I would be very grateful.

This book came up in a discussion with some of my uni friends the other day. It didn't go into much depth, but I think the summary was 'no matter how amazing the book, my overriding feminism made me put it down when I realised that had happened'.

This book came up in a discussion with some of my uni friends the other day. It didn't go into much depth, but I think the summary was 'no matter how amazing the book, my overriding feminism made me put it down when I realised that had happened'.
Thanks for that :lol: it's not even anything to do with feminism, the way I see it; even if the story was told from the bloke's viewpoint and it was the woman who had done something equally awful, I personally would find that just as hard to accept in the context of soulmates.

Hey

Has anyone read One Day by David Nicholls? i brought it today... is it as good as people say it is?

There's a thread here on the book, and I know one or two others that have read and enjoyed it. It's on my TBR pile, so I hope they're all right! :)

MY friend was just telling me about these books, and how funny they are..

Are you There Vodka? Its me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

Any input here? :blush:

MY friend was just telling me about these books, and how funny they are..

Are you There Vodka? Its me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

Any input here? :D

I haven