Has anyone read...?

Janet

Has anyone read Little Bee by Chris Cleave?

Yes, I read it in March. It was a little difficult to get into for me, but worth it. I appreciated seeing that situation from the other perspective, being able to understand, to some degree at least, the terror many in that situation go through, and see how they see the bureaucratic hoops they are forced to go through, sometimes without any good outcome.

I do recommend it, enjoy!

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it last year Bethany, but in the UK it's got a different title, "The Other Hand". It was difficult to talk about without giving away any of the plot, but I thought it was sorrowful, funny, affecting, horrific, truthful, shocking and heartfelt. Highly recommended.

Has anyone read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath?

I've been meaning to read it for a long time and I love Plath's poetry, but I've heard it's very teenage angsty, which usually 100% puts me off books. Is that true?

For the same reasons as you, Nienna, at first I had thought I wouldn't be interested in what happens to Esther in The Bell Jar. Apart from one incident that I thought was going to put me off

(the first time she had electric shock treatment)

I enjoyed the whole book. It's not very long, either, so even if it's not quite your cup of tea, it won't take you a lot of time to finish! :D

So glad to hear all the great feedback on "Little Bee".. I'm about halfway through now and I love it! Glad to know that that probably won't change throughout the rest of my reading. :)

Has anyone read The Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden (epics on Genghis Khan). They are quite big books so thought I would ask you good people first to see if they were recommended.:)

I haven't read The Conqueror series I'm afraid, SueK, but if you are interested in a stand-alone novel on Genghis Khan I have recently finished The Earth is the Lord's by Taylor Caldwell and enjoyed it (although it did take me about 70 pages to get into the style of writing).

Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane? I heard the film was rubbish but I saw the expanded edition (with poems, uncomplete short stories finished off by a personal friend etc.) in a bookstore yesterday and it really really appealed, so I was wondering if anyone had read it and was able to tell me whether it was worth picking up?

Has anyone read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel? It’s been suggested to me by Amazon and it seems like something I may like, as I’m a big fan of supernatural/fiction novels. However, I’ve read the description and I’m in two minds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Has anyone read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel? It’s been suggested to me by Amazon and it seems like something I may like, as I’m a big fan of supernatural/fiction novels. However, I’ve read the description and I’m in two minds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

There are a few people who've read it here, there's a thread on it here --> http://www.bookclubf...-hilary-mantel.

I haven't read it myself, as I've read another of Mantel's books and I disliked it so much I can't bear the thought of reading another of her books, but there are lots of people who think she's an excellent writer smile.gif

There are a few people who've read it here, there's a thread on it here --> http://www.bookclubf...-hilary-mantel.

I haven't read it myself, as I've read another of Mantel's books and I disliked it so much I can't bear the thought of reading another of her books, but there are lots of people who think she's an excellent writer smile.gif

I agree I have treid two of her previous books Beyond Black and Fludd and I can't say I enjoyed wither of them, she is not a comfortable writer to read and either you like her or you don't, I am vearing towards the don't

I've not read anything by Neal Stephenson, I was just thinking of reading some Stephen King books as they seem to be very popular, and I was wondering if there's a particular one I should start with, and if there were any series I need to read in the right order. :) Thanks in advance :)

Try The Stand. It's one of my favourite books. Really great writing.

Has anyone read Dissolution by C.J. Sansom?

Yeah,read this and the 2nd in the series,Dark Fire. If you're into both history & crime it's a must read. :)

Yeah,read this and the 2nd in the series,Dark Fire. If you're into both history & crime it's a must read. :)

Thanks Green! I will begin today... let's see if I'm really in the mood for this! :)

Curious if anyone has read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and enjoyed it. I really wanted to read it, but there seem to be so many mixed reviews for it, that I'm not so sure now.