Your Book Activity - June 2013

I hope you enjoy the Phryne Fisher book, Sue. As the series goes on, there's a nice set of characters who crop up in each story, as well as the new characters for each of her various investigations. I like them a lot, and they do make good holiday type reads for me. :D

Did you once mention the TV series, Chesil? I can't remember whether you've seen it. I'd highly recommend it. I think it's very well done (although I can't compare it to the books because I haven't read them yet—I broke my rule of reading the book first because I was so interested in watching the series!)

In my bookish activity today, I've finished The Third Day, The Frost by John Marsden (with a few tears escaping my eyes while I was sat in Starbucks at lunchtime reading it :roll:

*nods* I bawled when I read the end. So sad. :( Are you going to continue on with the rest of the series?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished the third Phryne Fisher book last night, and another cracker it was too, although perhaps a bit society-lite, so hoping when I get book four, there is a bit more of the social scene in it.

Although I came out of Waterstone's empty handed yesterday, I did see a couple more of Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple books, so am going to do a bit of wishlist updating today, especially as I've just had a look on fantasticfiction.co.uk and realised that she has over 20 books in the series already!  I love a good series. :D

Did you once mention the TV series, Chesil? I can't remember whether you've seen it. I'd highly recommend it. I think it's very well done (although I can't compare it to the books because I haven't read them yet—I broke my rule of reading the book first because I was so interested in watching the series!)

It is showing on one of the channels over here (Alibi which is a channel dedicated to crime). I'm not a huge fan of crime television, so I haven't actively been seeking it out yet, although I did catch about two minutes of one of the programmes the other day, and what I saw looked quite good. Having said that, I'd like to read the books first, as I don't want to spoil any of the stories before I start watching them, but everything is on endless repeat nowadays, so I'm sure I'll be able to catch them after I've read the books!

*nods* I bawled when I read the end. So sad. :( Are you going to continue on with the rest of the series?

Definitely! How could I not? They've been excellent, even though I'm not sure how he's going to continue after the end of book three, but I will be coming back to read more. I'll write a proper review this weekend, and don't want to put any spoilers, but you and I both know why I was crying, and I was just dumbstruck at that particular action by that character. Heartbreaking.

Edited by chesilbeach

x

I don't know about chaliepud, but I find some techniques work for one dog but not the other. I've tried raising Boris the same way I raised the other three, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect. Have fun with your new dog, chaliepud :)!

Yes, that must be true. Dogs are individuals, of course. Some will respond better to teaching tricks with the aid of snacks, some will prefer to have a play with a ball when they've done well.

Oh boy. I think I really need to start reading some doggy training books if I ever want to have a dog! Yes sirree....

Yes, dogs are all different, with Dylan I have always had to train very gently, no raised voice, certainly no training discs or the like... Honey was bombproof but had an incredible sense of humour (generally at me! :giggle2:  ) so I always needed to be more insistent.. Obi was more difficult in that he is very sensitive to my moods so I have to keep everything very light and happy, yet because he has had some issues with other dogs I have had to find a level of firmness that didn't scare him but made it clear that I was in charge..  I have 4 new books that encourage positive reinforcement so will read them all, and re read a couple of others that I have so I can decide on the methods I am likely to use with the new addition.  

I don't think I'm going to reading too much fiction in the near future but I did pick up Khaled Hosseini's new book from the library this morning so I will make an effort for that as I have been looking forward to it for so long!  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

Yes, dogs are all different, with Dylan I have always had to train very gently, no raised voice, certainly no training discs or the like... Honey was bombproof but had an incredible sense of humour (generally at me! :giggle2:  ) so I always needed to be more insistent.. Obi was more difficult in that he is very sensitive to my moods so I have to keep everything very light and happy, yet because he has had some issues with other dogs I have had to find a level of firmness that didn't scare him but made it clear that I was in charge..  I have 4 new books that encourage positive reinforcement so will read them all, and re read a couple of others that I have so I can decide on the methods I am likely to use with the new addition.  

I like the sound of Honey, I love dogs with a sense of humour :D But Dylan's just sooo adorable... And who could resist Obi.... :wub: Wih him being sensitive to your moods, do you also mean it in the way that he would sense if you were sad and would come over and be all concerned and would try and comfort you?

If I ever get a dog, maybe you can then recommend me some great doggy training books :)

I went to the library today, to put a few books in the free book trolley, and to take back a few loans. I also had a reservation waiting for me, a book by Jonas Gardell. I don't know if it's been translated to English (yet?).

I also went to a secondhand bookshop, looked at the English titles, did a bit of organising :giggle: But found nothing :shrug: Good girl frankie, good girl.

I hope to make progress with Pyhiesi yhteyteen by Jari Tervo later today. What a great book, so far.

I decided to re-started Diana Gabaldon, now I found the whole series, so I started Outlander again. I loved it so much when I first read it and I'm glad to find some new emotions in this re-reading. I went to my book group wednesday and we organized our new readings during the summer holiday:among the others, we have a book written by a brasilian writer called Ronaldo Wrobel. The book is Traduciendo Hannah.. that is to say Translating Hannah. It's a story of a jew who fly out in Brasil. He starts translating letters for the government - I think- and he falls in love with the author of the letters, Hannah. I don't have the book right now, I have to go to my library in a few weeks, but the story seems so nice. Have you ever heard about this book?

Another question for you.. every september, in Mantova - Italy, there's a huge literature festival, with a lot of guests and hundreds of events. Do you want me to tell you something about it and keep you up date? Well,it would be great if you'd come, obviously, because it's really wonderful, but I perfectly understand that the distance is quite unbereable.. but if you want to know something about it, let me know and I'll start a new topic, maybe in General Chat. If it's silly, just ignore me, ok?

Other book activity - i'm going to my first book club meeting tonight - so excited  :exc:

How did the book club go?

I am enjoying 'The Lollipop Shoes'.....should be reading more quickly though, just wait until bed time. Can't settle to sit and read during the day, computer activity gets in the way!

I am enjoying 'The Lollipop Shoes'.....should be reading more quickly though, just wait until bed time. Can't settle to sit and read during the day, computer activity gets in the way!

I hope you like The Lollipop Shoes, Diane - I've got the next book Peaches for Monsieur le Curé on my TBR list, which I'm looking forward to.

Thanks to the lovely Janet, a copy of Newes from the Dead by Mary Hooper arrived in the post, and I've also downloaded Where Have All The Boys Gone? by Jenny Colgan as it was in the monthly bargain list of Kindle books for £2.99 or less.

Edited by chesilbeach

I've just finished "How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone" by Sasa Stanisic.  Really enjoyed it.  Even though it's in translation, it still captures the whimsy and humour of a young boy who lives in a world of his own, but soon has to grow up when the realities of war threaten the town he lives in, his friendships that cross ethnic lines, and even his own family, the product of a "mixed" marriage.  To quote the blurb:

Aleksandar is Comrade-in-Chief of fishing, the best magician in the non-aligned States and painter of unfinished things. He knows the first chapter of Marx's Das Kapital by heart but spends most of his time playing football in the Bosnian town of Visegrad on the banks of the river Drina. When his grandfather, a master storyteller, dies of the fastest heart attack in the world while watching Carl Lewis's record, Aleksandar promises to carry on the tradition. However when the shadow of war spreads to Visegrad, the world as he knows it stops. Suddenly it is not important how heavy a spider's life weighs, or why Marko's horse is related to Superman. Suddenly it is important to have the right name and to pretend that the little Muslim girl Asija is his sister. Then Aleksandar's parents decide to flee to Germany and he must leave his new friend behind.

I'm struggling with my current book - Money by Martin Amis.

Obviously, the very point of the book is the dislikeable main character, but it does mean reading about his continual horrendous behaviour hard. I basically just think he's a turd.

Just finished reading 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert. I didn't think that I was going to enjoy this, but I did. The ending was a little disappointing though.

Now I am starting 'The Betrayal of Trust' by Susan Hill. A friend gave me this book to read and I have had mixed reactions to this.

It took me over a week (I've been busy!) but I finished Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens today.   I'm not sure what to read now - I have a library book but I'm not sure I fancy it at the moment.

That sounds like you think it's slow. It isn't, especially for a decent Victorian classic!  Even if it is for you, they need to be savoured, not scampered through!  Hope you enjoyed it - I'm a bit of a Dickens fan, and loved OT when I read it last year - vastly better than any of the films (even the David Lean one, which is excellent) or the (IMO) rather sugary musical.

Edited by willoyd

I don't see why you should think I think it slow just because I said it took a while for me to read.

I'd read 46% of it by last Sunday (from Friday when I started it) and it took me a week to read the remaining 54%.  For the record, I loved it and I have already posted my reviews in my reading blog.

I'm struggling with my current book - Money by Martin Amis.

Obviously, the very point of the book is the dislikeable main character, but it does mean reading about his continual horrendous behaviour hard. I basically just think he's a turd.

I quite enjoyed Money but I know exactly what you mean as I felt the same way about American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

Edited by Brian.

I don't see why you should think I think it slow just because I said it took a while for me to read.

I'd read 46% of it by last Sunday (from Friday when I started it) and it took me a week to read the remaining 54%.  For the record, I loved it and I have already posted my reviews in my reading blog.

It was just the way you worded it - it seemed to imply that you thought it had taken longer than you would have expected.  Sorry if I misunderstood. I was quite impressed that you had managed to read it in a week if you were busy - it took me somewhat longer!

I've read and enjoyed your review.  Great Expectations was one of the first of his that I read three or four years ago (I've come to Dickens fairly late); it's another which had so much more to it in the reading than in what I had found in films etc.  I hope you enjoy it as much as OT.

Edited by willoyd

Another question for you.. every september, in Mantova - Italy, there's a huge literature festival, with a lot of guests and hundreds of events. Do you want me to tell you something about it and keep you up date? Well,it would be great if you'd come, obviously, because it's really wonderful, but I perfectly understand that the distance is quite unbereable.. but if you want to know something about it, let me know and I'll start a new topic, maybe in General Chat. If it's silly, just ignore me, ok?

I'd love to hear all about the literature festival Elenora  :smile:

How did the book club go?

There wasn't a very big turn out Inver, i thought i was going to be the only one there & i'd have to discuss the books with myself  :oThen another woman arrived who was just as enthusiastic as me about having a book group to go to. The librarian expects a bigger turn out next month as the author Steve Mosby is coming to give a talk & she gave us one of his books to read. So fingers crossed it'll pick up as word gets round  :smile:

Glad to hear your enjoying The Lollipop Shoes i've read a few Joanne Harris books & always enjoyed them.

It took me over a week (I've been busy!) but I finished Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens today.   I'm not sure what to read now - I have a library book but I'm not sure I fancy it at the moment.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on it Janet, i'm definitely up for reading more Dickens now i've read Bleak House  :smile:

160 pages into Bring Up the Bodies.  Can't put it down.  Must be glue on the cover or sumfink :huh::D

It's really good isn't it . I think i enjoyed it even more than Wolf Hall  :D

My reading mojo has gone a bit flat at the moment. We've still got family visiting so i'm hardly finding time to do any reading at all so i'm still reading Summer Of The Barshinskeys, it's very good & under normal circumstances i would have finished it ages ago.