Your Book Activity - June 2013

I really want to read this, but I don't like hardbacks so I fear I'll have to wait for the paperback. I hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm kindling. :) Someone gave me £10 for amazon for my birthday, so I spent a bit more on an ebook than I would normally. Like you, I find hardbacks very difficult to get on with!

Chalie, I'm only 25 pages in so we haven't jumped about yet. Hope it will be ok!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little more than half way through The Lost Rocks: The Dare Stones and the Unsolved Mystery of Sir Walter Raleigh's Lost Colony by David La Vere.

Recommended by Julie..... :006: 

Very interesting. 

I liked The Help, too.  It's one of those books that you can't put down.  Alias Grace is on my book shelf.  I read it several years ago and enjoyed it very much.

Yep, I couldn't really put it down once I got into it, I had to keep going :D Alias Grace on the other hand... It was good but I had to make myself pick it up time and a time again... Too slow going for my taste! :blush:

I'm almost finished Run by Ann Patchett.  Next is Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie.  I've already read a few pages. 

I hope you like Balzac, I think it's such a beautiful novel! :smile2:

It can be annoying, but usually the ones that do that are just lonely....doesn't cost anything to be kind.  As long as they don't get creepy.

I do admit that at first I was annoyed by her evident lack of social conduct and not just in any way noticing that I wanted to read, but then, like you, I gathered that maybe she was lonely, and that I can always get back to my book when I'm at home. I've been very lonely myself this year so maybe I also subconsciously thought that hopefully someone will be as obliging to listen to my own ramblings when such time should come that I want to talk to total strangers :)

Yes, because you're a friendly and personable person. I'm not. :P:D

Cut the BS, woman, I find you very friendly and personable :friends3::D

I'm glad you enjoyed The Help. It's yet another book that is languishing on my book shelf, along with Alias Grace, so I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Check out what I told Verna above... ^ :hide:

I'm reading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen  :)  Well, I say reading, but I haven't actually had time to pick it up since Monday and I've only managed the first chapter!  :doh:   I'm hoping next week might be slightly quieter!

Good luck with finding the time to read NA, and good luck with the book! It's one of my own favorites Austen books. I love the dialogue in that, and a certain annoying person and the stunts she pulls :giggle:

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot: I've just finished Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, thank goodness! If I had to spend another day with it I'm sure I'd roll my eyes out the window. And maybe the book, too :giggle: No, it wasn't that bad, but dear lord it took me ages to read.

Not knowing what to read next. Something very very light, and quick. I'm thinking YA/children's, chick lit (although I don't have any of that on TBR, me thinks) or perhaps a thriller/detective novel. It's like having my own read-a-thon, I haven't been doing anything else other than read books, eaten, slept and watched episodes of Modern Family, for a few days now.

Edited by frankie

Bought a couple of books today - a second hand copy of Nigella Lawson's Feast from the Oxfam bookshop, and a lovely little hardback book Our Songbirds by Matt Sewell from a little indie bookshop, so charming, I just couldn't resist! 

Still reading Peaches for Monsieur le Curé and absolutely loving it. :smile2:

I'm kindling. :) Someone gave me £10 for amazon for my birthday, so I spent a bit more on an ebook than I would normally. Like you, I find hardbacks very difficult to get on with!

£6.99 on Kindle is tempting!   I hope you enjoy it.  :)

Good luck with finding the time to read NA, and good luck with the book! It's one of my own favorites Austen books. I love the dialogue in that, and a certain annoying person and the stunts she pulls :giggle:

Thanks, frankie.   I've read a wee bit more now - I'm just about to start chapter 8! 

Read a bit more of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I really hope to finish it this weekend.

Is it good so far? I have it on my wishlist but I haven't found it in the library yet.

I finished Long John Silver and I must admit I loved it really much. I wasn't too sure about it when A friend suggested me this book but I was wrong 'cos it's really enjoyable. What is more I'm still in the middle of Gabaldon's Outlander.. I love it. Every year, in July, there's a huge Celtic Festival not far from my home and I love going there. I've met a lot of new friends through the years and now I can imagine Gabaldon's characters with the face of people I know: warriors, food, swords, sweat.. it's all much too real now. Ok, I'm definitely going slightly mad!!

I haven't done a lot of reading since my boyfriend arrived. I've been spending a lot of time with him instead (and also working for uni of course). The next book I'm going to read (in paper format) will probably be The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I'm hoping to do some reading soon, but to be honest I'm having fun catching up with my boyfriend since we hadn't seen each other in a while.

I've just finished Peaches for Monsieur le Curé. Loved it! I loved Chocolat and although I enjoyed The Lollipop Shoes I didn't like it anywhere near as much, but Peaches for Monsieur le Curé is right back up there with Chocolat for me. :smile2:

Is it good so far? I have it on my wishlist but I haven't found it in the library yet.

It was quite good. Not the most brilliant book I've read, but still pretty good.

I'm now about to start The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend.

Read A Day At The Office by Matt Dunn. A short read that started off with some amusing observations that quickly became very predictable and unfulfilling. Currently reading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. All good so far, I love the little asides he peppers his books with. Franny and Zooey by J D Salinger is up next.

Just 25 pages in to 'Body Surfing' by Anita Shreve. I was looking for a shorter read again.

x

I look forward to hear what you think of this. It's on my shelf as are a few other books by Anita Shreve. I haven't read any of them yet, I bought them because I've heard some good things about them.

I finished my book club read  Black Flowers  Steve Mosby, this was a book i'd never have chosen myself but i thoroughly enjoyed it a very exciting read. I'm now working my way through the reading circle book The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry  Rachel Joyce.

Chipping away at The Pickwick Papers, they're quite easy to pick up and lay down as they are all pretty much episodic.  I'm enjoying Dickens' writing with the old style English way, very proper, and the humour takes you by surprise.  Then I switch to a gritty detective  story by Tami Hoag, quite different from some of her other writing, her newest release, The Ninth Girl.  Waiting in the wings I have Harry's Game by Gerald Seymour about the Troubles in Ireland so I have quite a mixture going.  Lots to keep me from doing anything productive around the house!   :readingtwo:

Chipping away at The Pickwick Papers, they're quite easy to pick up and lay down as they are all pretty much episodic.  I'm enjoying Dickens' writing with the old style English way, very proper, and the humour takes you by surprise.  Then I switch to a gritty detective  story by Tami Hoag, quite different from some of her other writing, her newest release, The Ninth Girl.  Waiting in the wings I have Harry's Game by Gerald Seymour about the Troubles in Ireland so I have quite a mixture going.  Lots to keep me from doing anything productive around the house!   :readingtwo:

That is a good combination.  Different enough to not get the plots mixed up! :D