Your Book Activity - June 2013

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this your first time reading Adrian Mole? I would recommend the whole series. Great stuff, and can be read time and a time again :smile2:

I read it when I was an early teenager myself, and didn't like it or understand it. But reading it now as an adult, I enjoyed it and 'got it'. Aside from describing people in their 30's as old ( :Tantrum: ) it was great! :P

I read it when I was an early teenager myself, and didn't like it or understand it. But reading it now as an adult, I enjoyed it and 'got it'. Aside from describing people in their 30's as old ( :Tantrum: ) it was great! :P

I call them middle aged to spare their feelings!  No need to thank me.  :giggle2:

I glad to see you acknowledging that someone could have too many books, there is hope for you yet!

NOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Wrong!  "too many" and "books" are never, ever to be written in the same sentence.   Tsk Tsk!! :giggle2:

I read it when I was an early teenager myself, and didn't like it or understand it. But reading it now as an adult, I enjoyed it and 'got it'.

Oh you're going to have so many books to look forward to and enjoy, I'm so jealous! :D

Aside from describing people in their 30's as old ( :Tantrum: ) it was great! :P

:lol: Well, you can put it down to Adrian Mole being a bit of a dick :giggle2:

I call them middle aged to spare their feelings!  No need to thank me.  :giggle2:

:o  Oi!!!!!! :theboss:

:lol:

I have about 150 pages left of No Time for Goodbye, and it's going great. I have absolutely no idea where this book is going and what's up. Good stuff!

I glad to see you acknowledging that someone could have too many books, there is hope for you yet!

I meant too many books for you. There is no such thing as too many books for the rest of us normal people.

Am currently reading 'Tell The Wolves I'm Home' and it is nothing like what I expected but I am pretty confident at this early stage that it is going to be a winner.. :)

Had to kill a little time in town this morning so popped into the BHF charity shop and ended up coming home with -

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater (for my daughter)

Yes Man - Danny Wallace (recommended by frankie)

Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris

Silver Bay - Jojo Moyes

The Bronze Horseman - Paulina Simons

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (Have seen this recommended on here too)

:smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile: 

NOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Wrong!  "too many" and "books" are never, ever to be written in the same sentence.   Tsk Tsk!! :giggle2:

I did say "could"!

I meant too many books for you. There is no such thing as too many books for the rest of us normal people.

You're not normal, you're Australian!

I'll be interested in your thoughts on Wool. I look forward to reading it one day.

It's my next read as it's a library book so i'll let you know how it goes Kylie  :smile:

Had to kill a little time in town this morning so popped into the BHF charity shop and ended up coming home with -

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater (for my daughter)

Silver Bay - Jojo Moyes

The Bronze Horseman - Paulina Simons

:smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

I haven't read any of your others but The Handmaids Tale is a book i really enjoyed, Chaliepud  :smile:

Still reading Star Gazing at the moment & we've a busy weekend coming up so don't know how much reading i'll get done.

Wohoo!! :D I do hope you like it :smile2:

This one's pretty good, too :yes:

Silver Bay - Jojo Moyes

And I've heard great things about a few Jojo Moyes books, and I've come to understand that she's a pretty great author :)

That's one of those books I think everyone should read. But that's just my own opinion. :) Happy reading! :)

I bought No and Me yesterday, after remembering about it being on sale this month, but I'm still reading House of Suns and I think it'll be a while yet before I finish.  Glad I've made an early start on it, as I think if I'd left it until near my next book group meeting, I would either have not finished it in time, or given up on it.  Determined to stick with it though, as I want to finish as least one science fiction book in my life!

Edited by chesilbeach

Oh, me again.  Good and bad day today.  Good - two lovely independent bookshops visited and two books purchased - My Family and Other Animals by Clare Balding and Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp.  Bad - only read about 20 pages of House of Suns and still have about 350 to go!

You're not normal, you're Australian!

You're just jealous. :P

I started reading Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood a few days ago, and I'm about one-third of the way through.

Oh, me again.  Good and bad day today.  Good - two lovely independent bookshops visited and two books purchased - My Family and Other Animals by Clare Balding and Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp.  Bad - only read about 20 pages of House of Suns and still have about 350 to go!

Hope you like Clare's book Claire :D .. I thought it was brilliant.

I started Moll Flanders this morning .. ooh la la!! :blush2: this should be interesting :)

Hope you like Clare's book Claire :D .. I thought it was brilliant.

Thanks Kay, I'm almost sure I will!  I ilstened to her Ramblings podcast on my walk this morning, and think she's a great broadcaster, and I've heard some of her anecdotes about her animals and growing up, so I can't imagine not loving it. :smile2:

I'm considering staying in Elizabethan England for the time being with Martyr by Rory Clements.  I'd ordered and received Revenger, but since I have a compulsion to read series in order :blush2:  I thought I'd wait for Martyr.  Just arrived today.  :readingtwo:

Feeling a bit lacklustre about The World's Greatest Idea by John Farndon. I was hoping it would focus on more tangible ideas, rather than things like Epic Poetry, Marriage, and Qi.

I've picked up Safe House by Chris Ewan for my fiction read. It seems ok so far.

I'm considering staying in Elizabethan England for the time being with Martyr by Rory Clements.  I'd ordered and received Revenger, but since I have a compulsion to read series in order :blush2:  I thought I'd wait for Martyr.  Just arrived today.  :readingtwo:

Crikey, I hope you like them! :smile:

I finished Safe House by Chris Ewan. I really enjoyed it. It was fast paced, with some twists and turns but not over-complicated.

I think I will start Hyperion by Dan Simmons as my next fiction read. Still going with The World's Greatest Idea as well.

I finished reading Rachel Joyce - The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and am now reading Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

I loved The Curious Incident.. one of the best book I read last year, it really describes the world of autism. I hope you'll enjoy it Athena!

I finished an italian classic I had to read for my Book Group. Now I'm not too sure what to read next.